Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report 15:43 - Oct 23 with 2327 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/51134
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 16:28 - Oct 23 with 2200 viewscaliforniahoop

Good point
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 16:37 - Oct 23 with 2173 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good report, Clive.

I think a major factor (I know i'm banging on about this) was our decision to go with a new formation with little time to practice it, a formation that just did not suit us at all.

I think that if it was another manager bar the impressive-so-far Warburton we'd all be worried and less than happy. Let's hope we don't see it again.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 16:38 - Oct 23 with 2169 viewsNorthernr

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 16:37 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Good report, Clive.

I think a major factor (I know i'm banging on about this) was our decision to go with a new formation with little time to practice it, a formation that just did not suit us at all.

I think that if it was another manager bar the impressive-so-far Warburton we'd all be worried and less than happy. Let's hope we don't see it again.

My take on it was that when we've played the lesser teams in the league so far this season, particularly at home, we've been able to overwhelm them by going with two good strikers and then Eze and Chair as well. We tried to do that again last night because Reading have been fairly sht all season, only for them to suddenly turn up and play like that.
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 20:23 - Oct 23 with 1709 viewsNorthantsHoop

It's a blip onwards we march, get 3 points against Brentford and this game forgotten about. Last season Reading sort of did the same to us in the 0-0 at Christmas, they upped their game then. On a positive this year we bang in goals and look like scoring.
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 20:26 - Oct 23 with 1701 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 16:38 - Oct 23 by Northernr

My take on it was that when we've played the lesser teams in the league so far this season, particularly at home, we've been able to overwhelm them by going with two good strikers and then Eze and Chair as well. We tried to do that again last night because Reading have been fairly sht all season, only for them to suddenly turn up and play like that.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 20:37 - Oct 23 with 1670 viewsdannyblue

But there was also a change of shape and I do think it weakened us.

We've looked good with Hugill Wells Eze Chair all central, with an anchor in the middle, three at the back and wing backs (ie the second half formation).

First half was the first time we were basically 442, with eze and chair played wide. I don't think it worked for us. Eze Chair didn't get in the game, we were unable to dominate possession and we were overpowered in the middle.
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 21:48 - Oct 23 with 1556 viewsNorthernr

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 20:37 - Oct 23 by dannyblue

But there was also a change of shape and I do think it weakened us.

We've looked good with Hugill Wells Eze Chair all central, with an anchor in the middle, three at the back and wing backs (ie the second half formation).

First half was the first time we were basically 442, with eze and chair played wide. I don't think it worked for us. Eze Chair didn't get in the game, we were unable to dominate possession and we were overpowered in the middle.

Yeh I don't disagree with that. I wonder if that's how we've started in the previous games when all four have played, but the opponent has been poor so they roamed off in all directions. Here, Reading were good, and imposed themselves on us, and we had to stay in a shape which didn't suit us.

Not happy that Hugill is banned, because I'd have gone with him over Wells on Monday, but a switch to 4231 again might be a good thing.
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 22:37 - Oct 23 with 1474 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 21:48 - Oct 23 by Northernr

Yeh I don't disagree with that. I wonder if that's how we've started in the previous games when all four have played, but the opponent has been poor so they roamed off in all directions. Here, Reading were good, and imposed themselves on us, and we had to stay in a shape which didn't suit us.

Not happy that Hugill is banned, because I'd have gone with him over Wells on Monday, but a switch to 4231 again might be a good thing.

Agreed.

To my mind, I'm easy with 4231 or 352 with one holding.

We've gone from a few seasons of playing exceptionally deep because of the lack of pace of our centre-backs to last night playing 442 against a three-man midfield whilst giving the two slow centre-backs only the scant protection of a two-man midfield that was itself outnumbered and had enough to worry about. Leistner and barbet playing on the halfway line with an ocean between them with Leistner right in front of the dugout leads me to wonder why the dugout didn't shout the defensive line back unless of course it was their desire that the line should be that high.

A huge part of our success is pushing up the defensive line and therefore condensing the play in the oppo half and getting our flair players further up and closer together to make use of their quick passing and excellent close control. But there is a limit to this and the limit is not the half-way line. also, it only works if we can quickly snuff out oppo attacks and turn them into possession for us. For that to happen, and for us to release the wing-backs with confidence that we won't get hammered either in behind them or through the two split centre-backs we need to either play three 352 with one holding so the three can cover the wings on the counter, or we play 4231 so we have four central players and the two holding can delay the oppo from hitting that ball in behind that wingbacks will always leave. I'm easy with either.

But 442 with attacking wing-backs leaves us open to every kind of dangerous ball and not enough bodies to delay the oppo from hitting them.

Login to get fewer ads

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 22:52 - Oct 23 with 1448 viewsdannyblue

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 22:37 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed.

We've gone from a few seasons of playing exceptionally deep because of the lack of pace of our centre-backs to last night playing 442 against a three-man midfield whilst giving the two slow centre-backs only the scant protection of a two-man midfield that was itself outnumbered and had enough to worry about. Leistner and barbet playing on the halfway line with an ocean between them with Leistner right in front of the dugout leads me to wonder why the dugout didn't shout the defensive line back unless of course it was their desire that the line should be that high.

A huge part of our success is pushing up the defensive line and therefore condensing the play in the oppo half and getting our flair players further up and closer together to make use of their quick passing and excellent close control. But there is a limit to this and the limit is not the half-way line. also, it only works if we can quickly snuff out oppo attacks and turn them into possession for us. For that to happen, and for us to release the wing-backs with confidence that we won't get hammered either in behind them or through the two split centre-backs we need to either play three 352 with one holding so the three can cover the wings on the counter, or we play 4231 so we have four central players and the two holding can delay the oppo from hitting that ball in behind that wingbacks will always leave. I'm easy with either.

But 442 with attacking wing-backs leaves us open to every kind of dangerous ball and not enough bodies to delay the oppo from hitting them.

Totally agreed
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 01:37 - Oct 24 with 1329 viewstimcocking

A frustrating result imo. Even if Reading played well, damn, there were several big moments which could have helped us seal it. Feels like two points lost to me.

Particular low point being the first Reading equaliser. For the love of Christ, how can you go from having the ball on the edge of the opposition area, them with only one man on the half way line, double marked, one second later it's a goal at our end? That should be impossible at this level. We've done it a few times now unfortunately. Likewise, a shame Hugill obviously thought the ball wouldn't reach him for that simple tap in he didn't go for, that was another tough pill to swallow. Can't believe he didn't gamble on it, as Big Ron so loved to say. Red card and penalty decisions...enough opportunities that we should have had three points, irrespective of whether or not we were the better side.

At least Kelly managed a couple of decent, saves and we didn't lose.

Ps Taarabt, who operated as a traditional central midfielder against Leipzig, covered more ground than any other player on the pitch - aside from his opponent Diego Demme. His distance of 11.39km was well above Benfica's average of 10.56km.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 2:18]
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 08:26 - Oct 24 with 1220 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 01:37 - Oct 24 by timcocking

A frustrating result imo. Even if Reading played well, damn, there were several big moments which could have helped us seal it. Feels like two points lost to me.

Particular low point being the first Reading equaliser. For the love of Christ, how can you go from having the ball on the edge of the opposition area, them with only one man on the half way line, double marked, one second later it's a goal at our end? That should be impossible at this level. We've done it a few times now unfortunately. Likewise, a shame Hugill obviously thought the ball wouldn't reach him for that simple tap in he didn't go for, that was another tough pill to swallow. Can't believe he didn't gamble on it, as Big Ron so loved to say. Red card and penalty decisions...enough opportunities that we should have had three points, irrespective of whether or not we were the better side.

At least Kelly managed a couple of decent, saves and we didn't lose.

Ps Taarabt, who operated as a traditional central midfielder against Leipzig, covered more ground than any other player on the pitch - aside from his opponent Diego Demme. His distance of 11.39km was well above Benfica's average of 10.56km.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2019 2:18]

Although I agree there are questions to be asked about the first goal. It was a well executed pass, a well timed run and a well taken chance. Put those 3 things together at this level and more often than not you'll get a goal.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 09:09 - Oct 24 with 1182 viewsjonno

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 22:37 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed.

Agree with that, Brian. As I've said elsewhere, I think we also need to consider the fact that opposing teams have now had the opportunity to have a look at what is basically a very new collection of players in various configurations. We have done amazingly well, in my opinion, to be in the top six after 25% of the season with a very slow central defence, a couple of slightly dodgy keepers and some talented but inexperienced youngsters but reluctantly I have a feeling that points will start to become a bit harder to come by from now on as we come up against sides who will now have a game plan to combat us. I really would hope that people aren't expecting us to get into the playoffs this season - we should all be very happy with a mid table finish which many of us would have grabbed your hand off for at the start of the season. I suppose I'm saying that it's a work in progress and we need to temper expectations a little - the great thing is we have an excellent manager and some very good players at this level with a reduced wage bill.
QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 10:03 - Oct 24 with 1116 viewsenfieldargh

Also first half when Kelly played it out to Barbet or Leistner more often than not only Scowen represented the only other out ball, Cameron and everyone else where on the halfway line or the full backs 10 yards short of it.

It left a huge space between our pen area and the mass of players surrounding Cameron and our forward players.

Against Hull Eze was coming deeper for the ball and starting attacks from within our half.

Reading seem to do this to us lately, play rubbish until they meet us then go on a losing run; it will be interesting to see how they perform up at Florists

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

QPR made to scrap for a point by rejuvenated Reading - Report on 19:55 - Oct 24 with 880 viewsBenny_the_Ball

According to the official match report, Warburton started the match with a 4-2-2-2 formation. I'm not sure what that is or how it would work and I don't recall playing it previously. We improved in the second half when we switched to 3-5-2 only to lose the initiative again when Wells was substituted for Amos. Did Warburton take Reading for granted by starting with an untried and untested formation?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024