Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises 17:05 - Nov 16 with 2164 viewsenfieldargh

Mark Warburton has vowed to plant plenty of trees along qpr's goal line in an attempt to keep a clean sheet, something that Boris has failed to do since going to boarding school

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 17:41 - Nov 16 with 2113 viewsRangersDave

lol, he stands more of a chance than the lib dems. what a joke.

i've done the math but you can work it out per day....
60,000000.00 / 365 days ...... that should clear a big chunk of the unemployed.
Not even sure there are that many saplings available in the UK either.

More chance of flying to Saturn on Concord!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 20:52 - Nov 16 with 1976 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 17:41 - Nov 16 by RangersDave

lol, he stands more of a chance than the lib dems. what a joke.

i've done the math but you can work it out per day....
60,000000.00 / 365 days ...... that should clear a big chunk of the unemployed.
Not even sure there are that many saplings available in the UK either.

More chance of flying to Saturn on Concord!

If you're going to do the maths you might start by counting how many days there are between now and the end of 2025. Clue: it's not 365.

Incidentally, ever done any tree planting? I do occasionally for work. Got any idea of what it involves, manpower and so on?
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:17 - Nov 16 with 1949 viewsRangersDave

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 20:52 - Nov 16 by CiderwithRsie

If you're going to do the maths you might start by counting how many days there are between now and the end of 2025. Clue: it's not 365.

Incidentally, ever done any tree planting? I do occasionally for work. Got any idea of what it involves, manpower and so on?

Hi mate,

the report on sky and BBC states that the lib dems will plant 60million trees per year!

simply stating that a year is 365 days (jan1st to dec 31st, not including leap years) is simple...

60million trees divided by 365 gives you the amount needed to be planted every day.

Their statement also says to the end of 2025 so i make that 6 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50440867

And yes, fully horticulturally trained, diplomas, degree, yadda yadda, as well as Arboreal qualifications. but thanks for asking.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 22:20 - Nov 16 with 1892 viewsBoston

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 20:52 - Nov 16 by CiderwithRsie

Yes to tree planting. Funniest I ever did was when 'sprucing' up a house in Wembley. Myself and a few mates dug up half a dozen eighteen footers at a property we were redeveloping over in Hendon. Up on top of a transit, down the North Circular and planted in St.Johns Rd. House was going on the market and in an effort to disguise the railway tracks, voila, instant mature forest at the end of the garden.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 22:51 - Nov 16 with 1874 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:17 - Nov 16 by RangersDave

Hi mate,

the report on sky and BBC states that the lib dems will plant 60million trees per year!

simply stating that a year is 365 days (jan1st to dec 31st, not including leap years) is simple...

60million trees divided by 365 gives you the amount needed to be planted every day.

Their statement also says to the end of 2025 so i make that 6 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50440867

And yes, fully horticulturally trained, diplomas, degree, yadda yadda, as well as Arboreal qualifications. but thanks for asking.

OK hands up, I misread the article I saw as 60m in total and you are quite right, it is per year.

Does look ambitious and would need a big acceleration to hit the target by end 2025. You're probably also right in that we couldn't produce that number in the UK, would need imports.

Still the right way to go, only thing that's going to reduce CO2
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 22:55 - Nov 16 with 1869 viewsCiderwithRsie

That said, it's estimated as 40k hectares per year and claimed we were planting 30k hectares per year in the late 80s.

And further checking; we were hitting 40k hectares in the 70s and it only dropped to 20k hectares in the 90s. Of course that was in the heyday of conifers in regimental rows - I think that's what is going on in Ireland now.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2019 23:00]
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 23:55 - Nov 16 with 1837 viewsloftboy

Can I just point out it’s maths not math. Another bloody Americanism.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 00:39 - Nov 17 with 1824 viewsJigsore

Well wth Warburton's record with 'the Trees' that doesn't fill my with confidence

and more, the Lib Dems record with... um... everything doesn't fill me with confidence either. Nasty little grasping sh*ts, going as far to place themselves further right then the Tories economically with a 'permanent budget surplus'.

Worms.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 01:02 - Nov 17 with 1801 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Planting trees is just the start

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 01:37 - Nov 17 with 1787 viewssmegma

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 23:55 - Nov 16 by loftboy

Can I just point out it’s maths not math. Another bloody Americanism.

Go figure
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 09:52 - Nov 17 with 1680 viewsdistortR

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 22:20 - Nov 16 by Boston

Yes to tree planting. Funniest I ever did was when 'sprucing' up a house in Wembley. Myself and a few mates dug up half a dozen eighteen footers at a property we were redeveloping over in Hendon. Up on top of a transit, down the North Circular and planted in St.Johns Rd. House was going on the market and in an effort to disguise the railway tracks, voila, instant mature forest at the end of the garden.

18ft viola's?
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 10:18 - Nov 17 with 1661 viewsenfieldargh

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 09:52 - Nov 17 by distortR

18ft viola's?

Violas are also made from wood.

Could confuse a horticulturaly challenged person with poor eyesight.

Make a lovely tune....oh Tune Group, back to qpr,

so your saying we should place a line of violas along our goal line?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 16:42 - Nov 17 with 1527 viewshubble

Our defence isn't exactly pulling up trees. Have I got the wrong end of the twig?
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 07:11 - Nov 18 with 1361 viewsdistortR

I'm always wary of policy by numbers.

I work in the horticultural industry, I've been involved in mass tree planting.

You can mass plant very quickly and have no maintenance regime and have a small percentage of thriving trees 5 years down the line.

Or you can do it properly, plant a fewer number and have a very good success rate, but be chastised because, essentially, it's a numbers game.

Speaking from bitter experience.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 19:25 - Nov 18 with 1251 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 07:11 - Nov 18 by distortR

I'm always wary of policy by numbers.

I work in the horticultural industry, I've been involved in mass tree planting.

You can mass plant very quickly and have no maintenance regime and have a small percentage of thriving trees 5 years down the line.

Or you can do it properly, plant a fewer number and have a very good success rate, but be chastised because, essentially, it's a numbers game.

Speaking from bitter experience.

You see that in supermarket car parks all the time.

There's a theory that the best way to produce an acre of woodland is to buy an acre of grass and just leave it alone. Tend to get a lot of sycamores to start with. My guess is that the amount of C02 getting sequestered is more with woodland that arises that way as it'll have undergrowth and so on.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 07:37 - Nov 19 with 1172 viewsdistortR

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 19:25 - Nov 18 by CiderwithRsie

You see that in supermarket car parks all the time.

There's a theory that the best way to produce an acre of woodland is to buy an acre of grass and just leave it alone. Tend to get a lot of sycamores to start with. My guess is that the amount of C02 getting sequestered is more with woodland that arises that way as it'll have undergrowth and so on.

not heard that theory - but it makes sense.

The garden I work on at the moment is in a very exposed situation (Well, it would be, it's on the iom!), I keep encouraging my employers to plant sycamores in the (Practically non-existent) shelter belt.
Alas, they believe sycamores are 'common' and 'invasive'.
But........they form a good shape in our conditions, they grow quickly and healthily, they are good for wildlife etc etc.
ho hum.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 12:53 - Nov 19 with 1100 viewsR_from_afar

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 22:51 - Nov 16 by CiderwithRsie

OK hands up, I misread the article I saw as 60m in total and you are quite right, it is per year.

Does look ambitious and would need a big acceleration to hit the target by end 2025. You're probably also right in that we couldn't produce that number in the UK, would need imports.

Still the right way to go, only thing that's going to reduce CO2

It's definitely a good thing but not having children and not flying are other major ways of helping significantly reduce CO2 emissions.

Saving existing natural forests makes a greater contribution than planting new ones. Easy to say that, harder to achieve it!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/29/planting-trees-climate-chang

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 13:26 - Nov 19 with 1072 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Where is the poster that used to rage against people having children?
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 17:46 - Nov 20 with 985 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 07:37 - Nov 19 by distortR

not heard that theory - but it makes sense.

The garden I work on at the moment is in a very exposed situation (Well, it would be, it's on the iom!), I keep encouraging my employers to plant sycamores in the (Practically non-existent) shelter belt.
Alas, they believe sycamores are 'common' and 'invasive'.
But........they form a good shape in our conditions, they grow quickly and healthily, they are good for wildlife etc etc.
ho hum.

Have you tried selling them elms?

Classic hedgerow tree and a shame to waste the fact that the IoM is one of the few places in the British Isles you can grow them.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:24 - Nov 21 with 880 viewsdistortR

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 17:46 - Nov 20 by CiderwithRsie

Have you tried selling them elms?

Classic hedgerow tree and a shame to waste the fact that the IoM is one of the few places in the British Isles you can grow them.

we do have dutch elm disease now, alas.
and ash dieback.
tar spot on sycamores i can handle!
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:41 - Nov 21 with 872 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:24 - Nov 21 by distortR

we do have dutch elm disease now, alas.
and ash dieback.
tar spot on sycamores i can handle!

That's really sad, you didn't have either last time I was over which was only a couple of years ago.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:48 - Nov 21 with 863 viewsdistortR

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:41 - Nov 21 by CiderwithRsie

That's really sad, you didn't have either last time I was over which was only a couple of years ago.

it reached the iom in 1992 mate, but has only affected 1% of our elms so far.

a 300 yr old elm on the milntown estate, believed to be the islands oldest tree, is now infected.
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:52 - Nov 21 with 855 viewsCiderwithRsie

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:48 - Nov 21 by distortR

it reached the iom in 1992 mate, but has only affected 1% of our elms so far.

a 300 yr old elm on the milntown estate, believed to be the islands oldest tree, is now infected.

That's odd, I only thought you didn't because I saw a sign about plant hygiene and the importance of not bringing it in at one of the glens (Glen Maye, I think) where there were plenty of healthy trees. They were the first ones I'd sen since I was a kid.

I suppose they must have been talking about trying to stop it spreading from elsewhere on the island
Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:56 - Nov 21 with 850 viewsdistortR

Warburton jumps on Tory & Lib Dems manifesto promises on 21:52 - Nov 21 by CiderwithRsie

That's odd, I only thought you didn't because I saw a sign about plant hygiene and the importance of not bringing it in at one of the glens (Glen Maye, I think) where there were plenty of healthy trees. They were the first ones I'd sen since I was a kid.

I suppose they must have been talking about trying to stop it spreading from elsewhere on the island

they have been fairly successful so far. the beetles in glen maye struggle to find the elms in the forest of japanese knotweed!

The pub/cafe there is still closed, the brewery stipulating that anyone buying the place can't re-open it as a pub.
And the Liverpool Arms
And the British in Ramsey..........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024