Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best players who never made it 19:42 - Nov 20 with 5502 viewsMrSheen

Leaving aside our own, who are the best players you’ve seen, who you raved about to your mates afterwards, whose careers either failed to take off or who vanished without a trace?

I’ll start with Dean Connolly. I was at a loose end one bank holiday in the early 90s, and made my annual trip to Griffin Park. Brentford crushed Wigan 4-0. The visitors were pretty hopeless except for Connolly, who was fantastic on the ball and incredibly quick to find a pass to a team mate, who quickly lost the ball. At one point, he took the ball with his back to goal about 30 yards out, lost three defenders with a turn and a trick and smashed the ball against the bar. And was then taken off.

At the time he was on loan from Barnsley in the next league up, which didn’t surprise me given his air of superiority and an obvious lack of conditioning. Google tells me he was originally a Celtic junior but was picked up by Arsenal in his teens. Barnsley let him go soon after and I never heard of him again. I can’t forget how talented he looked. I wonder what happened.
Best players who never made it on 20:00 - Nov 20 with 3155 viewspaulparker

Jimmy carter should have gone further I remember watching him at a reserve game for QPR in the late eighties he was skill full as hell
Paul Lake had the world at his feet before injury crippled him
Lee power tore us a new one year for Norwich but didn’t do anything after

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Best players who never made it on 20:05 - Nov 20 with 3144 viewsMrSheen

Best players who never made it on 20:00 - Nov 20 by paulparker

Jimmy carter should have gone further I remember watching him at a reserve game for QPR in the late eighties he was skill full as hell
Paul Lake had the world at his feet before injury crippled him
Lee power tore us a new one year for Norwich but didn’t do anything after

Doesn’t Lee Power own Swindon Town? Made a few bob somehow.
Best players who never made it on 20:10 - Nov 20 with 3131 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ledesma. What a first quarter of a season he had.
Best players who never made it on 21:14 - Nov 20 with 3038 viewsEsox_Lucius

Justin Channing

The grass is always greener.

Best players who never made it on 21:26 - Nov 20 with 3024 viewsloftboy

Anthony German. Thought he’d be the new Gallen

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best players who never made it on 22:38 - Nov 20 with 2916 viewsMrSheen

I’ve just looked up Saido Berahino. His first premier league goal was the winner at Old Trafford as a 20 year old. He got 19 league goals in his first two seasons, then 7 in the next 4 (1 of which was in the Championship). He got 10 goals in 11 games for England Under 21, and 1 in 5 full caps for Burundi!
Best players who never made it on 22:42 - Nov 20 with 2911 viewsHantsR

'leaving aside our own' ? Presume non QPR so the first one that comes to my mind is Tony Green, who looked fantastic playing against us for Blackpool, probably in late 60s. I think he got injured and had to give up early in his career but everyone raved about him at the time.
Best players who never made it on 22:50 - Nov 20 with 2892 viewsRs_Holy

Ángelo Balanta
Login to get fewer ads

Best players who never made it on 23:12 - Nov 20 with 2874 viewssmegma

I saw Paulo Wanchope play twice for our reserves. Scored twice away to Chelsea in a 3-0 win, then a hat trick at home to Millwall in a 5-0 win (Marc Bircham played right back for Millwall). For his third game away to Spurs, they didn't allow me in. He scored the only goal. Incredible player.

Unless your name is Stewart Houston
Best players who never made it on 23:26 - Nov 20 with 2857 viewsstevec

Peter Marinello at Arsenal springs to mind.

Know this is not about our own but those are foremost in my mind...
Don Rogers
Martyn Busby
Leon Jeanne
Richard Langley
Best players who never made it on 23:56 - Nov 20 with 2823 viewsaston_hoop

I remember as a relative youngster seeing Danny Cadamarteri on MOTD and thinking he looked amazing. I could have just been young, naive and wrong but fck me, he looked a world beater.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best players who never made it on 02:22 - Nov 21 with 2781 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Adel.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Best players who never made it on 05:27 - Nov 21 with 2736 viewsloftboy

Russel Beardsmore at Man United, played in Giggs position before Giggs played there.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best players who never made it on 06:08 - Nov 21 with 2728 viewsHayesender

Back when I used to watch the odd youth and reserve game, I thought Michael Meaker was gonna go right to the top. He seemed to have everything

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Best players who never made it on 07:28 - Nov 21 with 2686 viewsDWQPR

Never saw him play, evidently an outstanding player in the Stan Bowles mould and of the same era, Robin Friday, played for Reading and Cardiff in the lower leagues.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Best players who never made it on 08:56 - Nov 21 with 2600 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I remember there was a huge amount of hype around Mikael Forssell...

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best players who never made it on 09:36 - Nov 21 with 2555 viewsterryb

Best players who never made it on 07:28 - Nov 21 by DWQPR

Never saw him play, evidently an outstanding player in the Stan Bowles mould and of the same era, Robin Friday, played for Reading and Cardiff in the lower leagues.

I think he would have argued that he made it!

His book "The best player you never saw" is well worth a read.
Best players who never made it on 09:38 - Nov 21 with 2550 viewsterryb

I know this will upset some of you, but Joe Waters.

He looked brilliant against us in the spring of 1974!
Best players who never made it on 09:43 - Nov 21 with 2544 viewsPinnerPaul

Denis Bailey
Best players who never made it on 09:44 - Nov 21 with 2541 viewsPinnerPaul

and one who has made a living but who when I first saw him thought would make it to the very top - Martin Cranie
Best players who never made it on 10:10 - Nov 21 with 2515 viewsDorse

Ricky Otto: early 90's version of Taraabt.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best players who never made it on 13:06 - Nov 21 with 2378 viewsQPRSteve

David Kerslake. One of the best youngsters I've seen play for us until he contracted glandular fever. Never the same player after that although he did have a decent career after being converted to a full back.

Martyn Busby. Leg broken by Paul Went away at Fulham. Let's get revenge on the b*ast*rds tomorrow!
Best players who never made it on 13:14 - Nov 21 with 2362 viewsAntti_Heinola

Best players who never made it on 10:10 - Nov 21 by Dorse

Ricky Otto: early 90's version of Taraabt.

Watched a Spurs - Everton youth game years ago.
James Vaughan was up front for Everton and looked a class above - and indeed he made a breakthrough soon after, but never really kicked on. Anichebe also played that day and looked very good, but again, he never went as far as I thought he would.

For Spurs that day, was Jamie O'Hara, who obviously had class, but a Spurs member of staff I knew said to me, conspiratorially, 'yeah, but he can't run' - and I realised he had barely moved out the centre circle all game. There was a lot of hype about O'Hara, but in the end my friend was right.

but the best player on the pitch was Phil Ifil, a natural leader and captain at full back for Spurs. Eneded up at Col U I think - thought he'd be a prem player.

Bare bones.

Best players who never made it on 13:15 - Nov 21 with 2362 viewsterryb

Best players who never made it on 13:06 - Nov 21 by QPRSteve

David Kerslake. One of the best youngsters I've seen play for us until he contracted glandular fever. Never the same player after that although he did have a decent career after being converted to a full back.

Martyn Busby. Leg broken by Paul Went away at Fulham. Let's get revenge on the b*ast*rds tomorrow!

To this day, that remains the worst assault that i've witnessed on a football pitch!
Best players who never made it on 13:25 - Nov 21 with 2345 viewsTonto

For those of us of a certain age and who played football manager....

Freddy Ado

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024