Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UBER * NON QPR 13:48 - Nov 25 with 8192 viewsthame_hoops

Just seen that UBER is not having its licence renewed by TFL, a real shame as i think its a great service. anyone else use it, its fantastic, or was.
UBER * NON QPR on 16:49 - Nov 25 with 2052 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 16:40 - Nov 25 by CFW

I am in no way supporting the black cab driver but to become a London taxi driver you need to 'do the knowledge' which is not easy, takes approximately 2 years out of your life with no pay. You then need to purchase a new or newish black cab that will set you back between £30 and £35k or rent one which again is not cheap. You need to be registered, pay insurance and pay for the up keep of the vehicle and that is before you have taken any money. No holiday pay, no pay if off sick etc.

Why is it people want something for nothing all the time?

think the new cabs are £65k

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 17:24 - Nov 25 with 2008 viewsJuzzie

UBER * NON QPR on 16:15 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Great idea.

We’ll call it the National Pisshead Relocation Service.

NPRS... also known as the NHS.

Around the time my son was due to be born one of the girls in the office thought it was hilarious that over the weekend her boyfriend got so drunk (they're both big drinkers) that when the ambulance came the medics said it was nothing they or A&R could do and that he needed to just sleep it off but as they were now responsible for him they had to take him home.

"Free taxi service" she said, laughing. Everyone else in the office laughed too.

Until Mr Boring here piped up that I f**king well hope I'm not in need of an ambulance when my partner goes into labour or if I come off my motorbike or when any other of their friends or family have a serious accident they need one too and there's none around because they're ferrying pi$$ed up people to thier homes.

Suffice to say the office went quiet.

This is not the first time I've heard people think it's hilarious that our already over-stretched 999 services have been misused in this manner.

Back to UBER, hopefully thousands of cars will start to disappear off the roads as I lose count on the huge amount of cars I see each day (with the lime green badge) that are either empty or have one passenger in them. Get a fking bus/tube/train.
UBER * NON QPR on 18:09 - Nov 25 with 1962 viewsSnipper

I remember hearing that Uber trebled their prices when the terrorist attacks happened in Borough market. I also remember hearing that some black cab drivers were taking people home free of charge.
UBER * NON QPR on 18:25 - Nov 25 with 1946 viewssmegma

Good riddance to another 'non dom' company that pays less tax than a kid working in Poundland.
UBER * NON QPR on 20:23 - Nov 25 with 1873 viewskensalriser

Uber and their ilk are essentially parasite capitalist companies whose only purpose is to enrich the founders and top execs during the first few years of business. They only have upside - if the business is successful long term they get to trouser hundreds of millions, if it all goes tits up they're still quids in thanks to nice fat salaries and bonuses.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

UBER * NON QPR on 21:02 - Nov 25 with 1834 viewsizlingtonhoop

UBER * NON QPR on 14:55 - Nov 25 by stevec

Unless you're on a business account I'm amazed anyone can afford to get a black cab.

They don't have Uber out my way, but we do have black cabs. From the local rail station to my house, it's less than a mile and an easy drive without traffic, cost.. £7 for a 4 min drive.

I wouldn't mind if Black cabs took you where you wanted to go but from past experience they wouldn't even take you from the Centre of London to North Kensington after midnight, either as they 'lived the other way' or 'can't get a fare back that time of night'.

Less than a mile?

Walk
UBER * NON QPR on 22:18 - Nov 25 with 1742 viewsBoston

Big fan of the technology used by Uber and the other car services. I'll use any type of taxi, black, mini cab, whatever, if they come when I call them.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 22:24]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

UBER * NON QPR on 22:23 - Nov 25 with 1737 viewsBoston

UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Let's be honest, people only use them because they are cheap, and they are cheap because the drivers get paid fck all and work too many hours every week.

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations. TfL raised their concerns about this years ago and Uber failed to comply.

Back a properly funded, properly trained, properly regulated Black Cab service I say. I'm no fan of TfL but they got this one right.

They are also banned in Berlin and other places too.

Think they're running in Berlin.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

UBER * NON QPR on 22:27 - Nov 25 with 1736 viewshubble

I like what the system gives me. I don't like what the system does. I like what the system gives me. I don't like what the system does.

UBER * NON QPR on 10:08 - Nov 26 with 1607 viewsClive_Anderson

Blimey, Labour haven't even got in yet and the mass unemployment has started.
UBER * NON QPR on 10:20 - Nov 26 with 1592 viewsJeff

UBER * NON QPR on 18:09 - Nov 25 by Snipper

I remember hearing that Uber trebled their prices when the terrorist attacks happened in Borough market. I also remember hearing that some black cab drivers were taking people home free of charge.

Just to clarify this point, Uber pricing works on a supply and demand basis and automatically adjusts based on the same.

Immediately after the terrorist attacks thousands of people requested an uber at the same time, and the price therefore automatically surged. the same way it surges at pub closing time etc or at just after midnight New Years Eve - Now whether there should be someone at Uber HQ who overrode the price surging is a different matter entirely, but this wasn't de facto price gouging or attempt to profit from tragedy.

Can we not knock it?

UBER * NON QPR on 11:12 - Nov 26 with 1566 viewsNW5Hoop

UBER * NON QPR on 16:01 - Nov 25 by Nov77

tried to explain to a friend that the reason uber were cheap was because they are losing $billions, he replied 'so what'.
apparently people like him think uber are a charity set up to subsidise his ride home.

as pointed out elsewhere they are using venture capital money supplied by investors like the saudis, Goldman sachs etc to subsidise the cost of each ride, its called predatory pricing and is designed to force the competition out of business, thereby leaving them with a monopoly, and it's illegal under uk and eu law.

they also just lost a court case about unpaid vat, scandalously covered up by the 'media.

I don't think it's right that they lost a court case about unpaid VAT, which would be why it was scandalously covered up by the media. According to the FT, last month, they are in negotiations with HMRC about potential VAT liability. Uber is not currently registered as a transportation provider, which HMRC believes it should be. Everyone is waiting for Uber's appeal to the supreme court about whether or not it employs its drivers before pressing ahead with ascertaining the rest of its status. If they are reclassified as a transportation provider, they will be liable for up to £1bn of unpaid VAT. If not, they won't.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/10/09/1570629132000/Uber-s-UK-VAT-liability-con
UBER * NON QPR on 12:20 - Nov 26 with 1525 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

UBER * NON QPR on 11:12 - Nov 26 by NW5Hoop

I don't think it's right that they lost a court case about unpaid VAT, which would be why it was scandalously covered up by the media. According to the FT, last month, they are in negotiations with HMRC about potential VAT liability. Uber is not currently registered as a transportation provider, which HMRC believes it should be. Everyone is waiting for Uber's appeal to the supreme court about whether or not it employs its drivers before pressing ahead with ascertaining the rest of its status. If they are reclassified as a transportation provider, they will be liable for up to £1bn of unpaid VAT. If not, they won't.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/10/09/1570629132000/Uber-s-UK-VAT-liability-con

Quite a good article about it here too.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7693523/Well-hit-Amazon-says

Poll: Expectations for this season?

UBER * NON QPR on 13:28 - Nov 26 with 1467 viewsR_from_afar

UBER * NON QPR on 16:04 - Nov 25 by robith

Uber's model is ignoring regulation that others have to abide by, saying "it's just an app" whilst spending all their money on driverless cars because they'll never make any money (they don't anyway) if the driver is recognised as a consumer.

Given this is on safety grounds given repeated violations of the law including failing to report a sexual assault by a driver and letting that driver continue to drive, this isn't that TfL won't allow the model, but that uber are appalling at implementing it in a safe manner for the public

The whole idea of driverless cars drives me mad. Let's push a technology which is years from being safe - they are nowhere near having the quality of mapping they need for rural roads, for example - requires ridiculous levels of processing power (with all the "embedded" water and energy required for component manufacturing; up until 2012, the amount of computing power machine learning uses was doubling every two years, now it is every 3.4 months) and which puts people (drivers, taxi drivers etc) out of work. Brilliant!
https://www.cityam.com/1291949-2/

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 26 with 1432 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 11:12 - Nov 26 by NW5Hoop

The court case was last week, that guy Jolyon tweeted that he believed Uber were found liable to the VAT but that Uber had tried to have the verdict kept quiet, not sure how that’s legal as they are now a public company and would have to register this liability in their accounts.

Anyway, the idea that they are not a transport provider is absurd as they had to apply to transport for London for a ‘minicab operators license’,

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 14:30 - Nov 26 with 1415 viewsqueensparker

UBER * NON QPR on 16:01 - Nov 25 by Nov77

tried to explain to a friend that the reason uber were cheap was because they are losing $billions, he replied 'so what'.
apparently people like him think uber are a charity set up to subsidise his ride home.

as pointed out elsewhere they are using venture capital money supplied by investors like the saudis, Goldman sachs etc to subsidise the cost of each ride, its called predatory pricing and is designed to force the competition out of business, thereby leaving them with a monopoly, and it's illegal under uk and eu law.

they also just lost a court case about unpaid vat, scandalously covered up by the 'media.

I don't think people realise quite how much Uber is underpinned by predatory venture capital.

As a business it loses $57 million A DAY. Every single day.

That's why it's cheap, why it's unsustainable, and also why it's massively undermining anyone else who actually has to live in the real financial world.

Plus it's a scummy company run by utter bast*rds.
UBER * NON QPR on 15:13 - Nov 26 with 1379 viewsJuzzie

UBER * NON QPR on 10:20 - Nov 26 by Jeff

Just to clarify this point, Uber pricing works on a supply and demand basis and automatically adjusts based on the same.

Immediately after the terrorist attacks thousands of people requested an uber at the same time, and the price therefore automatically surged. the same way it surges at pub closing time etc or at just after midnight New Years Eve - Now whether there should be someone at Uber HQ who overrode the price surging is a different matter entirely, but this wasn't de facto price gouging or attempt to profit from tragedy.

Same c**ts trick operated by holiday companies during school holidays.

Some call it capitalism, I call it downright exploitation. If a holiday in March costs £1,000 then the same holiday in August should cost £1,000.
UBER * NON QPR on 15:17 - Nov 26 with 1371 viewsMick_S

UBER * NON QPR on 15:13 - Nov 26 by Juzzie

Same c**ts trick operated by holiday companies during school holidays.

Some call it capitalism, I call it downright exploitation. If a holiday in March costs £1,000 then the same holiday in August should cost £1,000.

No, no Mr Juzzie, you don't understand - none of you do. The holiday in March is sold at a massive discount to you so we need to adjust prices when everybody wants to go on holiday in the school breaks.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

UBER * NON QPR on 15:21 - Nov 26 with 1364 viewsJuzzie

UBER * NON QPR on 15:17 - Nov 26 by Mick_S

No, no Mr Juzzie, you don't understand - none of you do. The holiday in March is sold at a massive discount to you so we need to adjust prices when everybody wants to go on holiday in the school breaks.

Hmmmmm..........
UBER * NON QPR on 15:30 - Nov 26 with 1337 viewscolinallcars

UBER * NON QPR on 15:17 - Nov 26 by Mick_S

Hmm, don't know about that. I remember in 2012 trying to book a country cottage to escape London during the Olympics. Some of the providers had tripled their prices to cash in.
UBER * NON QPR on 15:40 - Nov 26 with 1326 viewsthame_hoops

UBER * NON QPR on 15:30 - Nov 26 by colinallcars

Hmm, don't know about that. I remember in 2012 trying to book a country cottage to escape London during the Olympics. Some of the providers had tripled their prices to cash in.

I think he’s being facetious
UBER * NON QPR on 15:53 - Nov 26 with 1308 viewsNW5Hoop

UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 26 by Nov77

The court case was last week, that guy Jolyon tweeted that he believed Uber were found liable to the VAT but that Uber had tried to have the verdict kept quiet, not sure how that’s legal as they are now a public company and would have to register this liability in their accounts.

Anyway, the idea that they are not a transport provider is absurd as they had to apply to transport for London for a ‘minicab operators license’,

I agree Uber should be considered a transport provider and should pay VAT.

But the Maugham case was not forcing Uber to pay VAT. It was the Good Law Project trying to force HMRC (with Uber in court as an interested party, to try to keep its privacy re taxation) to say whether they had assessed Uber to pay VAT or not. The judge ruled in favour of disclosure. HMRC has not yet declared, but it seems likely Uber has been assessed. Presumably HMRC does not want to say so because it's never going to get a billion quid out of Uber, so is trying to negotiate a payment and would rather wait until that has been done before saying anything.

The verdict wasn't kept quiet. It's freely available online — took me 60 seconds to find it. It probably didn't get reported because it seems to be quite an abstruse point of law, concerning the right to information about companies' tax affairs, which is a long way from HMRC handing a bill to Uber (that's when it will become a story).
UBER * NON QPR on 15:58 - Nov 26 with 1295 viewsGloucs_R

Isn't My Taxi the black cab app?

Got a Uber this morning, looked nothing like the photo in the app, wore a hat to hide his appearance, couldn't drive and could barely speak English.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

UBER * NON QPR on 15:59 - Nov 26 with 1291 viewsDiscodroids

Top Tip to Uber Cab Drivers of Ilford, Forest Gate, Manor Park, Plaistow and East Ham...

When Driving my two younger sister's to their various engagements, Please refrain from calling English Women 'Whores' then asking them for sex, & insist they read holy scripture 6 times a day

Simply drop them off at Tesco's with Level 42 on the radio in return for a fiscal fare commensurate with milage Travelled. You C unts.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 16:04]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

UBER * NON QPR on 17:18 - Nov 26 with 1228 viewsNov77

For the record TFL handed out another 936 mini cab vehicle licenses last week (earning themselves another £280,000), bringing the total to 94,568 now in London.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024