Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UBER * NON QPR 13:48 - Nov 25 with 8341 viewsthame_hoops

Just seen that UBER is not having its licence renewed by TFL, a real shame as i think its a great service. anyone else use it, its fantastic, or was.
UBER * NON QPR on 17:37 - Nov 26 with 1948 viewsPlanetHonneywood

UBER * NON QPR on 14:30 - Nov 26 by queensparker

I don't think people realise quite how much Uber is underpinned by predatory venture capital.

As a business it loses $57 million A DAY. Every single day.

That's why it's cheap, why it's unsustainable, and also why it's massively undermining anyone else who actually has to live in the real financial world.

Plus it's a scummy company run by utter bast*rds.

Did you cut and paste this from a thread about three or four years ago, about QPR’s financial plight?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

UBER * NON QPR on 07:28 - Nov 27 with 1852 viewsdistortR

UBER * NON QPR on 15:58 - Nov 26 by Gloucs_R

Isn't My Taxi the black cab app?

Got a Uber this morning, looked nothing like the photo in the app, wore a hat to hide his appearance, couldn't drive and could barely speak English.

yeah, but i was hungover.
UBER * NON QPR on 09:56 - Nov 27 with 1788 viewswestberksr

bit of a conundrum as getting cabs in London can be a massive PITA and also extremely expensive. The benefit of Uber for me is the app, and knowing when i'm getting picked up rather than randomly trying to signal down a black cab, if there are any around to flag.

if the black cabs/addison Lee or similar were able to offer a similar app then i'd switch my very occasional Uber usage in a heartbeat. I appreciate some things need paying for but also like things to progress technology and convenience wise.

Would also continue to use Uber if it was more expensive but paying some feckin tax and not trying to force others out of business
UBER * NON QPR on 10:58 - Nov 27 with 1764 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I have never downloaded the Uber app but I do use my local cab firm who do have an App. Their prices are currently reasonable and I presume that is because they need to compete with Uber. It can't be easy given they are not effectively on a level playing field.
UBER * NON QPR on 11:55 - Nov 27 with 1740 viewsCabdriveR

UBER * NON QPR on 09:56 - Nov 27 by westberksr

bit of a conundrum as getting cabs in London can be a massive PITA and also extremely expensive. The benefit of Uber for me is the app, and knowing when i'm getting picked up rather than randomly trying to signal down a black cab, if there are any around to flag.

if the black cabs/addison Lee or similar were able to offer a similar app then i'd switch my very occasional Uber usage in a heartbeat. I appreciate some things need paying for but also like things to progress technology and convenience wise.

Would also continue to use Uber if it was more expensive but paying some feckin tax and not trying to force others out of business

Try Gett Taxi, Free Now or Taxi App.

Port Salut.
UBER * NON QPR on 12:54 - Nov 27 with 1716 viewsMick_S

UBER * NON QPR on 10:58 - Nov 27 by CroydonCaptJack

I have never downloaded the Uber app but I do use my local cab firm who do have an App. Their prices are currently reasonable and I presume that is because they need to compete with Uber. It can't be easy given they are not effectively on a level playing field.

Same here, Pete, regarding local cab firm/fares v UBER. Taxi to Harrow last week - £15.00. UBER - £25.00.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

UBER * NON QPR on 13:37 - Nov 27 with 1682 viewsBklynRanger

UBER * NON QPR on 11:55 - Nov 27 by CabdriveR

Try Gett Taxi, Free Now or Taxi App.

Port Salut.

Good choice of cheese there - welcome to the bored.

A decent app and a bit more competitive pricing would probably be enough to get a lot of people back into proper cabs.

Really didn't know about this whole 'funded by venture capital' malarky - quite disturbing. I was generally focused on the drivers themselves getting fleeced - which many of them are pretty open about - thought I was at least off-setting that by giving them a decent tip each time (unless they were kunts obviously). Seems there's a few more layers to this onion as usual.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 13:38]
UBER * NON QPR on 13:46 - Nov 27 with 1672 viewsR_from_afar

UBER * NON QPR on 17:18 - Nov 26 by Nov77

For the record TFL handed out another 936 mini cab vehicle licenses last week (earning themselves another £280,000), bringing the total to 94,568 now in London.

936 licenses closer to the magic 7,000,000 mark, when London taxi drivers are no longer taxi drivers, they are personal chauffeurs because there will be enough for one each

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

UBER * NON QPR on 14:00 - Nov 27 with 1656 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 13:46 - Nov 27 by R_from_afar

936 licenses closer to the magic 7,000,000 mark, when London taxi drivers are no longer taxi drivers, they are personal chauffeurs because there will be enough for one each

There are roughly 60,000 streets in london, so we’ll soon have at least 2 mini cabs for every road, street, close, avenue and dead end alley way in London. Enjoy paying your congestion charges!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 15:06 - Nov 27 with 1637 viewsrunningman75

I live near a tube station and always use public transport. However I understand there were safety concerns but have family members who are young adults who often got Uber's back home after visiting friends sometimes coming back in the early hours of the morning. They felt safer with Uber and always got home safely. Yes there are dodgy drivers as well as a minority of dodgy people in all professions. However safety is important and many will not pay to get black cabs so will see whether mini cabs will also increase fares with less competition,.
UBER * NON QPR on 16:20 - Nov 27 with 1611 viewsqprd

UBER * NON QPR on 13:55 - Nov 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

Let's be honest, people only use them because they are cheap, and they are cheap because the drivers get paid fck all and work too many hours every week.

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations. TfL raised their concerns about this years ago and Uber failed to comply.

Back a properly funded, properly trained, properly regulated Black Cab service I say. I'm no fan of TfL but they got this one right.

They are also banned in Berlin and other places too.

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations is misleading. it was 43 drivers

There are literally thousands and thousands of uber drivers registered to drive in London.

it seems pretty draconian to ban a company b/c of such a small percentage of cases.
UBER * NON QPR on 16:30 - Nov 27 with 1603 viewsqprd

UBER * NON QPR on 14:30 - Nov 26 by queensparker

I don't think people realise quite how much Uber is underpinned by predatory venture capital.

As a business it loses $57 million A DAY. Every single day.

That's why it's cheap, why it's unsustainable, and also why it's massively undermining anyone else who actually has to live in the real financial world.

Plus it's a scummy company run by utter bast*rds.

Huh?

What does it mean that its underpinned by predatory VC? Its a public company. A lot of the VC investors can now exit/have already exited the investment. Why does the fact that they had VC investors matter at all? There was a lot of VC investment, but other than Softbank, very few had any management rights

Yes, it loses a lot of money- but so did Amazon for 15 years... so did Facebook. So did a lot of tech companies, who are now making loads of profits and making shareholders a lot of money

They've clearly gone for market share now, which is expensive. but they will be able to raise new money pretty easily, which is why their losses dont really matter much. shareholders who have invested in the company are taking the long view
UBER * NON QPR on 16:37 - Nov 27 with 1597 viewsqprd

UBER * NON QPR on 18:25 - Nov 25 by smegma

Good riddance to another 'non dom' company that pays less tax than a kid working in Poundland.

-Uber pays corporate tax rate on UK-sourced income. It doesnt matter that its a foreign corporation. The applicable rate is 20%
-The kid working at Poundland gets 12,500 in tax free allowance and then pays 20% on income up until 50,000.

So unless the kid working at poundland is making well over 50k, uber is paying a higher tax rate ....
UBER * NON QPR on 16:48 - Nov 27 with 1582 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 16:20 - Nov 27 by qprd

14,000 incidents of fraudulent driver registrations is misleading. it was 43 drivers

There are literally thousands and thousands of uber drivers registered to drive in London.

it seems pretty draconian to ban a company b/c of such a small percentage of cases.

No, it was 43 drivers that Uber admitted to. How likely do you think it is that a company that invented ‘greyball’ software to evade regulators would voluntarily admit the true scale of what was going on. One of the reasons they had their license suspended the first time was because they weren’t reporting serious offences of their drivers to the police.

Tfl’s Twitter timeline has numerous reports of Uber customers reporting that their Uber driver didn’t look like their photo. It’s been going on for years.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

UBER * NON QPR on 16:53 - Nov 27 with 1577 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 16:30 - Nov 27 by qprd

Huh?

What does it mean that its underpinned by predatory VC? Its a public company. A lot of the VC investors can now exit/have already exited the investment. Why does the fact that they had VC investors matter at all? There was a lot of VC investment, but other than Softbank, very few had any management rights

Yes, it loses a lot of money- but so did Amazon for 15 years... so did Facebook. So did a lot of tech companies, who are now making loads of profits and making shareholders a lot of money

They've clearly gone for market share now, which is expensive. but they will be able to raise new money pretty easily, which is why their losses dont really matter much. shareholders who have invested in the company are taking the long view

Selling goods or services at a loss to force competition out of business in order to gain a monopoly is called predatory pricing and is illegal under U.K. and eu law.

Do you think Uber are a charity? Willing to run up losses for ever just to subside peoples ride home?. The more rides they do the more money they lose.
They either put their prices up massively or they go bust.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 16:54]

UBER * NON QPR on 17:09 - Nov 27 with 1565 viewsqprd

UBER * NON QPR on 16:53 - Nov 27 by Nov77

Selling goods or services at a loss to force competition out of business in order to gain a monopoly is called predatory pricing and is illegal under U.K. and eu law.

Do you think Uber are a charity? Willing to run up losses for ever just to subside peoples ride home?. The more rides they do the more money they lose.
They either put their prices up massively or they go bust.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 16:54]

Uber doesnt subsidize anyone's rides home. Uber has gross profit margins on rides. In other words, Uber makes a profit on any given drive.

The math isnt really that hard, but to oversimplify, Uber charges X to passengers, and drivers take .75X of the fare. The rest is margin for rides

uber loses money b/c (i) it spends a lot on marketing to get market share and fend off competition in markets where there are multiple competitors (29% of their 2019 revenues) and (ii) it spends a lot on R&D, including driverless cars (20% of 2019 revenues).

The statement that Uber loses more money the more rides they do is just wrong.
UBER * NON QPR on 17:28 - Nov 27 with 1547 viewsNov77

UBER * NON QPR on 17:09 - Nov 27 by qprd

Uber doesnt subsidize anyone's rides home. Uber has gross profit margins on rides. In other words, Uber makes a profit on any given drive.

The math isnt really that hard, but to oversimplify, Uber charges X to passengers, and drivers take .75X of the fare. The rest is margin for rides

uber loses money b/c (i) it spends a lot on marketing to get market share and fend off competition in markets where there are multiple competitors (29% of their 2019 revenues) and (ii) it spends a lot on R&D, including driverless cars (20% of 2019 revenues).

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9a3vye/uber-true-cost-uh-oh
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 17:30]

UBER * NON QPR on 21:05 - Nov 27 with 1490 viewskensalriser

Think we have our first Uber employee.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

UBER * NON QPR on 00:36 - Dec 6 with 1395 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

UBER * NON QPR on 17:09 - Nov 27 by qprd

Am I wrong in thinking that driverless cars means the end of driver-ble (?) vehicles?

Particularly in somewhere like London. I can't imagine a way that driverless cars can exist on the road networks as they are now, with those who occupy it (you and me). Forget about cars even. What about pedestrians, buses, cyclists,
emergency services, lollipop ladies, cats, dogs, horses, etc?

It feels like something big is going to happen, that will impact us all. A bit like mobile phones have transformed our lives. It's just nobody seems to be saying what exactly.

What's their masterplan?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 0:46]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

UBER * NON QPR on 01:56 - Dec 6 with 1372 viewsBoston

UBER * NON QPR on 00:36 - Dec 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Am I wrong in thinking that driverless cars means the end of driver-ble (?) vehicles?

Particularly in somewhere like London. I can't imagine a way that driverless cars can exist on the road networks as they are now, with those who occupy it (you and me). Forget about cars even. What about pedestrians, buses, cyclists,
emergency services, lollipop ladies, cats, dogs, horses, etc?

It feels like something big is going to happen, that will impact us all. A bit like mobile phones have transformed our lives. It's just nobody seems to be saying what exactly.

What's their masterplan?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2019 0:46]

Who is ‘their’?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

UBER * NON QPR on 07:06 - Dec 6 with 1306 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

UBER * NON QPR on 01:56 - Dec 6 by Boston

Who is ‘their’?

Uber to start with.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

UBER * NON QPR on 08:52 - Dec 6 with 1246 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The first time I Used Uber was last month In Boston.

My sister ordered one at 4:30am to take me to logan airport and lo!

He was outside in 5 mins.

I wasn't paying either.

Turned out nice again.

After a good night out I usually get a Black Cab here. (assuming they stop for the drunken viking many don't)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

UBER * NON QPR on 15:48 - Dec 6 with 1163 viewsNov77

https://news.sky.com/story/uber-reveals-464-rape-claims-in-us-over-past-two-year

"it also detailed 19 fatal physical assaults".

Didn't they used to be called murders?

UBER * NON QPR on 16:11 - Dec 6 with 1140 viewsLblock

Got an Uber at 1:20am this morning from the West End
There was not a black cab in sight. None.

The swines surcharged me x1.6 but I had no choice so paid £64 to get back to Ealing. Scandalous price!
Then found this morning that they’d also charged me £4 for a cancelled ride but I didn’t cancel it, the driver did. I’m getting that back.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

UBER * NON QPR on 19:47 - Dec 6 with 1086 viewskensalriser

£64 to Ealing! Think I would have been on the train, they run all night from Paddington.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024