Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The fairy tale of New York 20:43 - Dec 1 with 5242 viewsloftboy

Heard it on the radio today and noticed they changed the words from “ cheap lousy fagg*t” to “you’re cheap and you’re haggered “. I totally understand why this has been done but how did they do it seeing as Kirsty McCall has been dead for a few years.?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The fairy tale of New York on 09:16 - Dec 3 with 1577 viewsqpr1976

The fairy tale of New York on 10:34 - Dec 2 by CroydonCaptJack

''I've been here, and I've been there and I've been every fuc**ng where, so what'

B side of Street of London unless I am mistaken?

Certainly was. And shortly after securing my copy at my local HMV, after seeing them play it live supporting The Damned, police (not Sting’s lot) has it withdrawn from shelves due to indecency laws.
There’s plenty of other offensive stuff in there, including the ‘c’ bomb in the chorus.
Matched only by The Beat (Two Swords) prior & The Libertines (What A Waster) since.

Bravo !
The fairy tale of New York on 13:02 - Dec 3 with 1515 viewsNW5Hoop

Kirsty MacColl had rerecorded it for TOTP in 1992 as haggard; so there is a studio recording available; and she often sang it live as haggard, regardless of whether it was broadcast or not.

Given that the word offends a great many people, and the song is not diminished by its removal, I don't see what the problem is. One of the Pogues is in my book group; I'll ask him if he gives a shit.
The fairy tale of New York on 13:16 - Dec 3 with 1493 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The fairy tale of New York on 09:16 - Dec 3 by qpr1976

Certainly was. And shortly after securing my copy at my local HMV, after seeing them play it live supporting The Damned, police (not Sting’s lot) has it withdrawn from shelves due to indecency laws.
There’s plenty of other offensive stuff in there, including the ‘c’ bomb in the chorus.
Matched only by The Beat (Two Swords) prior & The Libertines (What A Waster) since.

Bravo !

I am pretty sure I was at that gig mate and I definitely have the single somewhere.
The fairy tale of New York on 14:28 - Dec 3 with 1451 viewsTacticalR

As mentioned previously I don't think language is the cause of anti-gay sentiment:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/165770/page:3#pos

Air hostess clique

The fairy tale of New York on 15:26 - Dec 3 with 1413 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The fairy tale of New York on 13:02 - Dec 3 by NW5Hoop

Kirsty MacColl had rerecorded it for TOTP in 1992 as haggard; so there is a studio recording available; and she often sang it live as haggard, regardless of whether it was broadcast or not.

Given that the word offends a great many people, and the song is not diminished by its removal, I don't see what the problem is. One of the Pogues is in my book group; I'll ask him if he gives a shit.

The problem is Capitalism and it's inevitable related social pressures make us frustrated, unhappy, and scared but because we deem it a huge unmovable monolith we re-direct and project our aggression onto to easier targets such as 'others' that are successful in making changes to their lives. When these 'others' request changes of us, we lash out in a fit of jealous retribution, no matter how inconsequential to us the impact of the request is.

Either that or Political Correctness gone mad.
The fairy tale of New York on 15:50 - Dec 3 with 1387 viewsMrSheen

I'm guessing they don't play Transmetropolitan any more.
The fairy tale of New York on 15:55 - Dec 3 with 1376 viewsHantsR

We sang this at a Christmas Eve do at a friend's house a few years ago (2014?). One woman suggested we perform the song so I re-wrote/ customised the lyrics to suit the assembled group of friends. I also adapted a Karaoke version of the original and I was chosen to sing Shane McGowan's part, not for his looks as I'm obviously very handsome and not really for his voice as mine is reasonably in tune and not so gravelly - but I'm a bloke. Five lovely women including Mrs Hants, all good singers, did the Kirsty McColl choruses. They really seemed to enjoy singing directly to me with great gusto that I was a 'scumbag', 'maggot', 'cheap lousy f@**ot' etc. (especially Mrs Hants)

You know the whole thing sounded really good and we had to do an encore, even repeat it the following year; it's a great song.
The fairy tale of New York on 16:42 - Dec 3 with 1330 viewsWatfordR

The fairy tale of New York on 15:50 - Dec 3 by MrSheen

Always thought that was a cracking opening track for their debut album. Couldn't have said more about the band and their music right up front.
Login to get fewer ads

The fairy tale of New York on 17:08 - Dec 3 with 1296 viewsMrSheen

The fairy tale of New York on 16:42 - Dec 3 by WatfordR

Always thought that was a cracking opening track for their debut album. Couldn't have said more about the band and their music right up front.

Lasted longer than the Camden Palace and the GLC!
The fairy tale of New York on 17:29 - Dec 3 with 1281 viewsWatfordR

The fairy tale of New York on 17:08 - Dec 3 by MrSheen

Lasted longer than the Camden Palace and the GLC!

The fairy tale of New York on 18:56 - Dec 3 with 1244 viewsdolcelatte

Surely I can't be the only person who hates this record. It's pony....
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 18:57]

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

The fairy tale of New York on 20:05 - Dec 3 with 1210 viewscollegeranger

[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 20:11]
The fairy tale of New York on 20:26 - Dec 3 with 1198 viewsBucksRanger

Mighty Fagg*t

The fairy tale of New York on 20:42 - Dec 3 with 1183 viewsElHoop

The fairy tale of New York on 15:50 - Dec 3 by MrSheen

The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn was never heard on any radio I ever owned either.
The fairy tale of New York on 09:31 - Dec 4 with 1085 viewsrobith

Country's gone mate, if I can't scream homophobic abuse at the top of my voice, at Christmas and all (which they're trying to ban)
The fairy tale of New York on 09:38 - Dec 4 with 1072 viewsMick_S

The fairy tale of New York on 20:05 - Dec 3 by collegeranger

[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 20:11]

WTF is west country sauce?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The fairy tale of New York on 09:43 - Dec 4 with 1059 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The fairy tale of New York on 18:56 - Dec 3 by dolcelatte

It's hard to remember if I ever liked the song. It's with me so long now that I can't analyse it dispassionately. It's like a hymn now, or a National Anthem - it's impossible to figure out if I ever liked the music.

I grew up working in the family's hotel and pubs so I've listened to this song, oh, a couple of million times. As a teenager, I used to hate the Pogues for their Oirishness and their endless guff about drinking and vomiting. And then I calmed down a bot and actually listened to more of their tunes and heard the orchestral swoop in 'Rainy Night in Soho' and then I listened to more of the lyrics and for a while every woman I met was 'the measure of my dreams'.

I'm not sure that the Irish had to give the world another tortured genius, but there you go. There's Shane MacGowan.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The fairy tale of New York on 10:15 - Dec 4 with 1028 viewsWatford_Ranger

The fairy tale of New York on 18:56 - Dec 3 by dolcelatte

I’ve had enough of it by about December 8th every year.

East 17 is without doubt my Xmas song guilty pleasure.
The fairy tale of New York on 10:18 - Dec 4 with 1015 viewsMick_S

The Biggest Earning Christmas Songs:

- Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody: £500,000

- The Pogues - Fairy Tale of New York: £400,000

- Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You: £376,000

- Bing Crosby - White Christmas: £328,000

- Wham! - Last Christmas: £300,000

- Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime: £260,000

- Cliff Richard - Mistletoe And Wine: £100,000

- Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry: £120,000

- The Pretenders - 2000 Miles: £102,000

- East 17 - (Tony Mortimer) - Stay Another Day: £97,000

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The fairy tale of New York on 11:25 - Dec 4 with 977 viewsMrSheen

The fairy tale of New York on 09:43 - Dec 4 by BrianMcCarthy

It's hard to remember if I ever liked the song. It's with me so long now that I can't analyse it dispassionately. It's like a hymn now, or a National Anthem - it's impossible to figure out if I ever liked the music.

I grew up working in the family's hotel and pubs so I've listened to this song, oh, a couple of million times. As a teenager, I used to hate the Pogues for their Oirishness and their endless guff about drinking and vomiting. And then I calmed down a bot and actually listened to more of their tunes and heard the orchestral swoop in 'Rainy Night in Soho' and then I listened to more of the lyrics and for a while every woman I met was 'the measure of my dreams'.

I'm not sure that the Irish had to give the world another tortured genius, but there you go. There's Shane MacGowan.

Kent’s gift to the world, not Ireland’s. Along with Chaucer, Dickens and Judge Dread.
The fairy tale of New York on 11:33 - Dec 4 with 967 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The fairy tale of New York on 11:25 - Dec 4 by MrSheen

Kent’s gift to the world, not Ireland’s. Along with Chaucer, Dickens and Judge Dread.

Always thought he was born in Tipp and his family moved over when he was a nipper.

Every day's a school day.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The fairy tale of New York on 11:42 - Dec 4 with 951 viewsMrSheen

The fairy tale of New York on 11:33 - Dec 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Always thought he was born in Tipp and his family moved over when he was a nipper.

Every day's a school day.

I did too, to be honest. You can’t fault the branding.
The fairy tale of New York on 12:57 - Dec 4 with 912 viewsMrSheen

The mystery deepens. Did he or didn't he?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/04/fairytale-of-new-york-uk-most-popu
The fairy tale of New York on 13:41 - Dec 4 with 870 viewsCiderwithRsie

The fairy tale of New York on 11:25 - Dec 4 by MrSheen

Chaucer was born and brought up in London; probably at 179 Thames Street.

His father was in the wine trade in London but had a job in Southampton when the Black Death hit London, which may have saved their lives (and certainly made them richer, as several other relatives died and they inherited.)

He didn't move out to Kent until he was middle aged with his children grown up and his wife dead. I think he'd have liked "Fairytale of New York" though, it has a story and one that old Geoff could have written himself.
The fairy tale of New York on 04:24 - Dec 7 with 731 viewsmarkrtid

Post contains unacceptable language: Fa@gots

It's pc gone mad I tell ya!

Fa@gots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs. It is a traditional dish in the United Kingdom, especially South and Mid Wales and the English Midlands. Cheap but never lousy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024