Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists 11:24 - Dec 16 with 2636 viewsfrancisbowles

On the Blues Powered Sunday Brunch show, listeners were asked to pick there favourite from a long list of artists from the 'early' days of Blues through to the present Blues or Blues Rock musicians.

The top ten included
10. Joanne Shaw Taylor
8. Jimi Hendrix
6. Eric Clapton
5. Walter Trout
4. Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. Gary Moore
2. Joe Bonamassa

and at number 1 with a winning margin of over a hundred votes

RORY GALLAGHER

I was surprised that people have voted for what I see as the lesser commercial artists with Clapton and Hendrix out of the top five and Free as well as Led Zeppelin not even featuring.

Delighted at the result though with Rory being remembered in this way, with the 25th anniversary of his death coming up next year. Absolutely amazed that he beat the current and excellent Bonamassa.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 13:49 - Dec 16 with 2013 viewsR_from_afar

Thanks for posting this. I probably need to listen to more Bonamassa because what I have heard so far has not impressed me much, Philistine that I am.

I love the fact that Rory is no.1, what an artist he was. Warm, inventive, soulful, enthusiastic. His "Live in Europe" album is immense.

He's maybe a bit obscure, but Eric Gales deserves to be on this list, I reckon:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 14:01 - Dec 16 with 2020 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 13:49 - Dec 16 by R_from_afar

Thanks for posting this. I probably need to listen to more Bonamassa because what I have heard so far has not impressed me much, Philistine that I am.

I love the fact that Rory is no.1, what an artist he was. Warm, inventive, soulful, enthusiastic. His "Live in Europe" album is immense.

I saw a live vid from Gales (think Blobby posted it, playing with someone else *musically*) he was immense.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 15:47 - Dec 16 with 1996 viewsfrancisbowles

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 13:49 - Dec 16 by R_from_afar

He does get played on the Blues shows on Planet Rock and I think I heard he is touring over here early'ish in the new year, I might try and catch him.

As for Rory, I totally agree and he seems more popular now than ever. What a shame we didn't have shows like the Planet Rock ones and Cerys Matthews on Radio 2 that would play him regularly.

I've seen Bonamassa a couple of times, he actually has a couple of Rory tunes in his catalogue and plays with different lineups. He is usually pretty expensive and releases loads of CDs and DVDs.

I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor supporting JB and have heard her albums. Going to see her at Nels club in Kensington in March I think.

Update to the list JSW was 9 not 10, with John Lee Hooker 10 and BB King 7
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 16:39 - Dec 16 with 1974 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Finds it strange Peter Green never gets a menshun.
BB King be sayin' Greeny wer the only blues gitarist wot made the 'air on the back o' his neck stand up.
An' wot - no Johnny Winter an' Moik Bloomfield?

Yo Ho!
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 16:51 - Dec 16 with 1970 viewsCaptainPugwash

Young pretender now be Marcus King.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 18:47 - Dec 16 with 1931 viewsWrightUp5hit___

It's great that op has got people discussing blues artists on LFW.

You could validly argue for the inclusion for loads of others. From Howlin' Wolf through Taj Mahal to Laurence Jones.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 19:26 - Dec 16 with 1910 viewscolinallcars

My favourite blues outfit in recent years has been Little Charlie and The Nightcats. It's encouraging that blues music, although having peaks and troughs, never dies.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 19:28 - Dec 16 with 1909 viewsted_hendrix

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 18:47 - Dec 16 by WrightUp5hit___

It's great that op has got people discussing blues artists on LFW.

You could validly argue for the inclusion for loads of others. From Howlin' Wolf through Taj Mahal to Laurence Jones.

And one of my all time favourites Paul Kossoff who IMO was up there with the best of them.

Long time since I've seen Robert Cray but I reckon he should get a mention, his gig was bloody awesome.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 19:50 - Dec 16 with 1900 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrr...
Be in any top ten...

Yo Ho!
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 20:26 - Dec 16 with 1889 viewsted_hendrix

All yours.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 20:46 - Dec 16 with 1881 viewsqprxtc

I knows it wrong but:

The Blues. As in musical blues. Are fu cking boring. Boring.

What do i know..

Boring.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 06:14 - Dec 17 with 1833 viewsMetallica_Hoop

No Gary Moore pfff

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 06:27 - Dec 17 with 1830 viewsPommyhoop

Steady Teddy.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:38 - Dec 17 with 1797 viewsfrancisbowles

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 06:14 - Dec 17 by Metallica_Hoop

No Gary Moore pfff

No3!

A fine tribute to two of Ireland's late great musicians.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 11:14 - Dec 17 with 1785 viewsfrancisbowles

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 16:39 - Dec 16 by CaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Finds it strange Peter Green never gets a menshun.
BB King be sayin' Greeny wer the only blues gitarist wot made the 'air on the back o' his neck stand up.
An' wot - no Johnny Winter an' Moik Bloomfield?

Yo Ho!

Early Mac, with Green often played on the show as are Free, with Kossoff. Both deserving of a place but note it is a favourite blues artists that you like listening too and not a best guitarists poll.

I personally wouldn't have included Walter Trout or John Lee Hooker as they are not among my favourites but everyone only had one pick, so they must rank highly with a number of people.

If you like Blues and Blues Rock, I would highly recommend presenter Bernard Doherty's two shows Blues Power on Thursday/Saturday evenings and Blues Power Sunday Brunch at noon. They also have a listen again facility on the website or the app which I use in the car.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 12:24 - Dec 17 with 1768 viewsQPRSteve

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 1724 viewsCaptainPugwash

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 12:24 - Dec 17 by QPRSteve

Yorkshire Blues.1969.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 15:10 - Dec 17 with 1714 viewsCaptainPugwash

This be like dear 'ol Rory as remembers i' Marquee Club allus them decades ago...
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:01 - Dec 18 with 1642 viewsfrancisbowles

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 15:10 - Dec 17 by CaptainPugwash

This be like dear 'ol Rory as remembers i' Marquee Club allus them decades ago...

Great spot, Captain.

I've got to see this guy next time he is in the country.
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:09 - Dec 18 with 1640 viewsWokingR

You lot need to take a long hard look at yourselves.
You can't come on here and big up the blues!

What were you thinking?
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:13 - Dec 18 with 1638 viewsEsox_Lucius

More well known for shredding Big Red on I'm Going home at Woodstock but could still cut it as a blues guitarist.

The grass is always greener.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:22 - Dec 18 with 1632 viewsEsox_Lucius

If blues is centred on emotion and personal experiences then surely David Gilmour deserves a mention. Listen to this from 18:30 onwards.

The grass is always greener.

Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 10:43 - Dec 18 with 1626 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrr....
There be a noo breed o' bluesmen.Come a long way fer Freddie King wot The Captain met in Londinium i' 1968.

Yo Ho!
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 11:41 - Dec 18 with 1614 viewsAustrianHoop

I saw Rory Gallagher in Vienna back in the late eighties - none of my mates wanted to go, so I went on my own. And I am glad I did, such a great memory to have. There are quite a few good guitarists from Ireland, Gary Moore of course, Simon McBride and one I rate highly, Pat McManus - he is touring all the time, so watch him, if he is playing somewhere near,you won`t be disappointed.
Finally, Johnny Winter - I saw his last ever show, which was at a festival in Austria, great player, but I think the other guitarist did his job on stage....
Planet Rock - listeners top10 Blues-related artists on 12:15 - Dec 18 with 1610 viewscolinallcars

I've got them mean ol' low down an' dirty down and out blues, and I'm fed up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024