Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendations 2020. 12:15 - Jan 3 with 6760 viewsrunningman75

I am currently reading The Boy on the Shed by Paul Ferris. Interesting autobiography about a Northen Irish guy who went on to be the youngest player to play for Newcastle. Seems a very interesting guy and not the usual sporting biography. Anyone else got recommendations for the year ahead.
Book recommendations 2020. on 15:35 - Jan 3 with 5006 viewssmegma

Guiding Me Home and Away by Dave Thomas
Book recommendations 2020. on 17:28 - Jan 6 with 4842 viewsMrSheen

Nothing to do with football and it's been out more than five years, but I am just finishing Sebastian Barry's The Temporary Gentleman. It's not a lot of fun, but it's extraordinarily well-written. It might inspire me to keep Dry January going a bit longer than usual this year...
Book recommendations 2020. on 23:51 - Mar 18 with 4615 viewsKennethRaper

I'm a big fan of football and a big fan of books, so I read a lot of football bios and autobiographies. This is the easy and best CV of an ex-footballer. No cliche. No dull memories. Let me remind you that Paul Ferris was once part of a powerful Newcastle attack. You don't need to love football to enjoy this beautifully written and clever memoir. A strong and emotional love story, life and challenges facing a wonderful person. I once wrote an essay on this book. By the way, for the essay, I recommend you edubirdie paper writing ( https://essayservicescanner.com/edubirdie-review/), there you will see the sites for writing an essay, read the general information, criteria evaluated by experts and recommendations. A great resource to help you save time and get a high quality product. I recommend.
Also, be sure to read the book!)
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 23:53]

https://essayservicescanner.com/edubirdie-review/

Book recommendations 2020. on 06:53 - Mar 19 with 4548 viewsdistortR

Book recommendations 2020. on 17:28 - Jan 6 by MrSheen

Nothing to do with football and it's been out more than five years, but I am just finishing Sebastian Barry's The Temporary Gentleman. It's not a lot of fun, but it's extraordinarily well-written. It might inspire me to keep Dry January going a bit longer than usual this year...

On a not football theme, out for a while "a gentleman in moscow" by Amor Towles is wonderful and heart warming, a good one to read now.

If I have to isolate, I'll happily start the master and commander series again.They take me away to a better place, even if i do appear to be stuck on desolation island.
Book recommendations 2020. on 06:56 - Mar 19 with 4547 viewsFearless

Book recommendations 2020. on 17:28 - Jan 6 by MrSheen

I saw on Blueberry Hill before all this started - excellent play. You do have to suspend a bit of logic, but beautifully written and performed
Book recommendations 2020. on 07:03 - Mar 19 with 4534 viewsstowmarketrange

War and peace might be a good choice if you’re stuck indoors for a month or two.
Book recommendations 2020. on 07:53 - Mar 19 with 4511 viewsMrSheen

“Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe about the Provisional IRA. He intertwines the lives of the McConville family with IRA members such as the Price sisters and Brendan Hughes, with another famous face hovering in the background. Amazing access and detail in the circumstances, absolutely gripping. I finished it in three days.
Book recommendations 2020. on 08:07 - Mar 19 with 4506 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Reading at Work luncheons 'The silk Roads' by Peter Frankopan.

Bloody enjoyable, It was the Times no1.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendations 2020. on 08:38 - Mar 19 with 4488 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great idea for a thread.

Classics - Steinbeck's East of Eden. Superb writing, poetic and enchanting, and ultimately the
most uplifting book possible.

Escapism - any of Geoff Hill's travel books. A 7-ft Antrim travel and motorbike journo who I have had the good fortune to meet on journo junket ski trips. Lovely man with a classic turn of phrase. Start with The Road To Gobbler's Knob, which is him and his friend riding the Pan-American Highway from Chile to Alaska.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Book recommendations 2020. on 09:34 - Mar 19 with 4458 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendations 2020. on 08:07 - Mar 19 by Metallica_Hoop

Reading at Work luncheons 'The silk Roads' by Peter Frankopan.

Bloody enjoyable, It was the Times no1.

I found the Silk Roads very peculiar, like he'd banged two books together. The first, about the Silk Road itself, was fascinating, but he tacked on a long essay about the rivalry between Russia and Britain and the failure of empire.
Book recommendations 2020. on 10:24 - Mar 19 with 4433 viewsMick_S

Book recommendations 2020. on 07:53 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

“Say Nothing” by Patrick Radden Keefe about the Provisional IRA. He intertwines the lives of the McConville family with IRA members such as the Price sisters and Brendan Hughes, with another famous face hovering in the background. Amazing access and detail in the circumstances, absolutely gripping. I finished it in three days.

Thanks for that Mr Sheen - never heard of the book but it's going to be my next purchase.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Book recommendations 2020. on 10:25 - Mar 19 with 4430 viewsrrrspricey

Book recommendations 2020. on 08:38 - Mar 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Great idea for a thread.

Classics - Steinbeck's East of Eden. Superb writing, poetic and enchanting, and ultimately the
most uplifting book possible.

Escapism - any of Geoff Hill's travel books. A 7-ft Antrim travel and motorbike journo who I have had the good fortune to meet on journo junket ski trips. Lovely man with a classic turn of phrase. Start with The Road To Gobbler's Knob, which is him and his friend riding the Pan-American Highway from Chile to Alaska.

I read The Road To Gobbler's Knob, must be 10 years ago now, very funny indeed.

For my escapism my go to author has to be Wilbur Smith. I've read every one of the 40 odd novels he's written. A master story teller imho and if you only read one make it River God, one of my favourite all time books
Book recommendations 2020. on 10:40 - Mar 19 with 4417 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendations 2020. on 10:24 - Mar 19 by Mick_S

Thanks for that Mr Sheen - never heard of the book but it's going to be my next purchase.

I think it's just out, I came across it in the shops just last week. Amazing stories. I've always been surprised how little has been written or made about the Troubles.
Book recommendations 2020. on 10:52 - Mar 19 with 4407 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Book recommendations 2020. on 09:34 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

I found the Silk Roads very peculiar, like he'd banged two books together. The first, about the Silk Road itself, was fascinating, but he tacked on a long essay about the rivalry between Russia and Britain and the failure of empire.

Actually now you mention it, I see what you mean. I'm still enjoying it though. I'm nearly done.

Book recommendations 2020. on 11:04 - Mar 19 with 4395 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendations 2020. on 10:52 - Mar 19 by Metallica_Hoop

Actually now you mention it, I see what you mean. I'm still enjoying it though. I'm nearly done.

You might like William Dalrymple's In Xanadu, a student wandering the silk roads in (I think) the 80s. Very entertaining, wears its learning lightly,
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 11:12]
Book recommendations 2020. on 11:10 - Mar 19 with 4386 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Book recommendations 2020. on 11:04 - Mar 19 by MrSheen

You might like William Dalrymple's In Xanadu, a student wandering the silk roads in (I think) the 80s. Very entertaining, wears its learning lightly,
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 11:12]

Thanks I will check it out once this is over as our concierge will be at home. (as will I)

I'm waiting for the two Roger Crowley hardbacks to go paperback. He's my favourite at the moment.

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:21 - Mar 19 with 4335 viewsRedbourneR

I might have mentioned this one before, but if you're looking for something to take your mind off all this, then City of Thieves by David Benioff - half of the Game of Thrones team - is a great read, set in an under-siege Leningrad during WW2 and about two Russian boys having to undertake a dangerous mission - collect some eggs to make a wedding cake - by crossing the German lines. Really gripping and well-told.

More recently there's the new Hilary Mantel, The Mirror and the Light, which at *checks length* 880 pages, should get anyone through the tedious days ahead; I haven't started it yet but the previous one, Bring Up the Bodies, was brilliant and I thought better than Wolf Hall.
Book recommendations 2020. on 12:41 - Mar 19 with 4299 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendations 2020. on 12:21 - Mar 19 by RedbourneR

I might have mentioned this one before, but if you're looking for something to take your mind off all this, then City of Thieves by David Benioff - half of the Game of Thrones team - is a great read, set in an under-siege Leningrad during WW2 and about two Russian boys having to undertake a dangerous mission - collect some eggs to make a wedding cake - by crossing the German lines. Really gripping and well-told.

More recently there's the new Hilary Mantel, The Mirror and the Light, which at *checks length* 880 pages, should get anyone through the tedious days ahead; I haven't started it yet but the previous one, Bring Up the Bodies, was brilliant and I thought better than Wolf Hall.

I'm looking forward to The Mirror and the Light, but can't decide whether to shell out now, wait for the paperback or keep an eye on the charity shops.
Book recommendations 2020. on 13:33 - Mar 19 with 4246 viewshantssi

I do like a Bill Bryson book, funny and informative.
Currently reading The Body his new one.
Also got The Yes Man on the go and A History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr.
Book recommendations 2020. on 21:23 - Mar 19 with 4170 viewsqueensparker

If you like the TV show Narcos and thrillers (and even if you don’t) the Don Winslow fiction trilogy about the Mexican drug war is absolutely amazing and eye opening. Definitely read them in order. Couldn’t put them down and some horrifying lessons about how stupid, hypocritical and pointless the “war on drugs” is.

American Tabloid by James Ellroy (again fiction but about the assassination of JFK, maybe my favourite book of all time)

Any Human Heart by William Boyd
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 21:23]
Book recommendations 2020. on 06:50 - Mar 20 with 4098 viewsqprxtc

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

Those two are the only books I’ve read more than once. And therefore my favourites and best I’ve read. So far.
Book recommendations 2020. on 08:34 - Mar 20 with 4073 viewsPikey

Anything by Sidney Sheldon .
Also when I retired promised my self I'd do the works of Dickens done about 6 so far . Plenty left to do. They are great but hard work af the start.
Book recommendations 2020. on 14:12 - Mar 20 with 4031 viewsjohnhoop

Book recommendations 2020. on 21:23 - Mar 19 by queensparker

If you like the TV show Narcos and thrillers (and even if you don’t) the Don Winslow fiction trilogy about the Mexican drug war is absolutely amazing and eye opening. Definitely read them in order. Couldn’t put them down and some horrifying lessons about how stupid, hypocritical and pointless the “war on drugs” is.

American Tabloid by James Ellroy (again fiction but about the assassination of JFK, maybe my favourite book of all time)

Any Human Heart by William Boyd
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 21:23]

Many thanks for the information about the Don Winslow books. Have read The Power of the Dog and The Cartel but never realized before I saw your post that there was a third book so have just ordered The Border.
Would also recommend The Spy and the Traitor by Ben McIntyre. It’s the story of the KGB double agent Oleg Gordievsky in the early eighties and the last part is so gripping and improbable it reads more like a thriller although it all actually happened.
Book recommendations 2020. on 14:23 - Mar 20 with 4016 viewsSonofNorfolt

I'm so bored I've started reading my own book.
Still available.
I'll even brave a trip to the Post Office if anybody wants one.

melh64@hotmail.co.uk
Book recommendations 2020. on 15:38 - Mar 20 with 3986 views1MoreBrightonR

Book recommendations 2020. on 06:50 - Mar 20 by qprxtc

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

Those two are the only books I’ve read more than once. And therefore my favourites and best I’ve read. So far.

I read Catch 22 for my a levels and loved it and have been meaning to give another go. now may just be the time for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024