Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wells off? 14:11 - Jan 21 with 60272 viewsHayesender

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-recall-bristol-city-target-

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Wells off? on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 3547 viewsMick_S

Wells off? on 17:42 - Jan 21 by Gloucs_R

Bristol have made an official approach

'Bristol City approach Burnley over Wells'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11914352

I've just mixed a Tom Collins.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wells off? on 10:37 - Jan 22 with 3413 viewshubble

Wells off? on 10:12 - Jan 22 by Mick_S

I've just mixed a Tom Collins.

Me too. Nils McTool. Useful player at this level.
Wells off? on 11:12 - Jan 22 with 3244 viewsstevec

Burnley want to offload him, we can't afford him, Bristol much better placed to get promotion and likely to offer a 3 year contract to a forward approaching 30.

He'd be mad not to.
Wells off? on 11:22 - Jan 22 with 3187 viewsHooparoo

Wells off? on 11:12 - Jan 22 by stevec

Burnley want to offload him, we can't afford him, Bristol much better placed to get promotion and likely to offer a 3 year contract to a forward approaching 30.

He'd be mad not to.

Sorry to say I agree with you. There’s a bit of logic to it.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Wells off? on 11:48 - Jan 22 with 3062 viewsAntti_Heinola

Wells off? on 08:50 - Jan 22 by WestbourneR

True but it's still a risk for him to wait versus a good move on good wages - and if he tries to run down his contract then I think Burnley will take up the option on the extension, confident in the fact that they'll get a fee out of someone and move him on pretty sharpish.

My gut says it suits all parties (apart from us) to agree a move to Bristol City. We've got almost zero leverage. I think he'll go.

i think we've got some leverage.
We can offer him a signing on fee in the summer. By all accounts, he and his family are happy here and he's said many times he wants to stay.
If Bristol take him now, there are several issues. Let's say he's on £30k a week at Burnley (may not even be that much as they run a tight ship). He's getting £30k per week until the end of the season regardless. If Burnley sell him, he will be taking a huge pay cut. Burnley would be happy to sell, but someone has to compensate that money. Let's say burnley let him go for nothing to get his money off the wage bill and save themselves maybe £700k. But now Bristol have to pay that to Nahki AND offer him a decent wage over and above that. That's quite a lot of money.
Alternatively, he could wait, pick up his £700k playing for a team where he is valued and wanted and successful, leave on a free in the summer, pick up a pay-off from us of possibly even £500k AND he's still earned his £700k in the meantime. He might also want to wait and see who else comes in in the summer and see what sort of signing on fee he can get elsewhere too.
I know we're skint, but I don't think it's as clear cut as people are making out.
Not saying he won't go, but there's been talk all season of us taking him permanently this month - this 'approach' to Burnley may well be pretty similar to ours for all we know.

Bare bones.

Wells off? on 11:54 - Jan 22 with 3028 viewsWrightUp5hit___

The one other factor would seem to be the talk about a one year extension, on the Burnley side. But then again why would they extend on a player they seem not to want.
Wells off? on 12:03 - Jan 22 with 2979 viewsMytch_QPR

Daily Fail alert (in my defence it was linked through the BBC 'Gossip' page:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7912475/Burnley-use-Nahki-Wel

Now that it's midday, a vodka & tonic please, Mick...

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Wells off? on 12:03 - Jan 22 with 2976 viewsstevec

Wells off? on 11:48 - Jan 22 by Antti_Heinola

We can offer him a signing on fee in the summer. By all accounts, he and his family are happy here and he's said many times he wants to stay.
If Bristol take him now, there are several issues. Let's say he's on £30k a week at Burnley (may not even be that much as they run a tight ship). He's getting £30k per week until the end of the season regardless. If Burnley sell him, he will be taking a huge pay cut. Burnley would be happy to sell, but someone has to compensate that money. Let's say burnley let him go for nothing to get his money off the wage bill and save themselves maybe £700k. But now Bristol have to pay that to Nahki AND offer him a decent wage over and above that. That's quite a lot of money.
Alternatively, he could wait, pick up his £700k playing for a team where he is valued and wanted and successful, leave on a free in the summer, pick up a pay-off from us of possibly even £500k AND he's still earned his £700k in the meantime. He might also want to wait and see who else comes in in the summer and see what sort of signing on fee he can get elsewhere too.
I know we're skint, but I don't think it's as clear cut as people are making out.
Not saying he won't go, but there's been talk all season of us taking him permanently this month - this 'approach' to Burnley may well be pretty similar to ours for all we know.

First, Burnley will pay him up his contract until the end of season anyway so he won't go losing that.

Second, you're one of those who's been banging on about how skint we are for as long as I can remember.

So either Nakhi goes or you and a few well placed commentators on this board have been stringing me along :)
Login to get fewer ads

Wells off? on 12:08 - Jan 22 with 2955 viewsbosh67

Wells off? on 11:48 - Jan 22 by Antti_Heinola

He's apparently on £25K a week, or £1.3m a year. Contract at Burnley has been worth with additional bits £4m to him if he sits it out to the summer. Our issue is that we are trying to cap wages at £11k a week, so he would be on about £600K a year here. He can certainly get nearer £20K a week in this division elsewhere. It depends on his mindset. If he stays here for another 2 seasons he will play pretty much every week unless he gets injured. Elsewhere who knows. He wants to play football. He's probably got personal wealth +£5m so he's not short of money. He may go after a bigger pay day and who could blame him but he could also play for a team he enjoys playing at for a bit less and then go to another Championship team, the MLS or China and earn big money from 31-35.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Wells off? on 12:32 - Jan 22 with 2853 viewsSnipper

Wells off? on 12:08 - Jan 22 by bosh67

He's apparently on £25K a week, or £1.3m a year. Contract at Burnley has been worth with additional bits £4m to him if he sits it out to the summer. Our issue is that we are trying to cap wages at £11k a week, so he would be on about £600K a year here. He can certainly get nearer £20K a week in this division elsewhere. It depends on his mindset. If he stays here for another 2 seasons he will play pretty much every week unless he gets injured. Elsewhere who knows. He wants to play football. He's probably got personal wealth +£5m so he's not short of money. He may go after a bigger pay day and who could blame him but he could also play for a team he enjoys playing at for a bit less and then go to another Championship team, the MLS or China and earn big money from 31-35.

Maybe we can sign him and have a bucket collection at home games to bump his money up. Lol
Wells off? on 13:09 - Jan 22 with 2677 viewsAntti_Heinola

Wells off? on 12:03 - Jan 22 by stevec

First, Burnley will pay him up his contract until the end of season anyway so he won't go losing that.

Second, you're one of those who's been banging on about how skint we are for as long as I can remember.

So either Nakhi goes or you and a few well placed commentators on this board have been stringing me along :)

If Burnley pay up his contract, then why would they bother selling now? The only reason for them to do that is if someone else (ie Bristol) pay that. At the moment, they're saving money. If Bristol buy him, they need to cover what he stands to lose.

If you've been paying attention, you'll have noticed that the wage bill has been drastically reduced - we bid £3m for a defender in the summer. So clearly there is now finally some wiggle room (although not much), and I've never said different - although obviously you will cling to the negative and ignore any positive, as that is your often tiresome persona.

Bare bones.

Wells off? on 13:37 - Jan 22 with 2514 viewsbosh67

According to the lunchtime press, who clearly have nothing better to do, Wells is off to Bristol City, Wigan, Leeds and Crystal Palace - all at the same time. Great for Nakhi as he gets 4 sets of wages.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Wells off? on 13:39 - Jan 22 with 2498 viewsMytch_QPR

Wells off? on 13:37 - Jan 22 by bosh67

According to the lunchtime press, who clearly have nothing better to do, Wells is off to Bristol City, Wigan, Leeds and Crystal Palace - all at the same time. Great for Nakhi as he gets 4 sets of wages.

It's the 'gig economy' - all the rage nowadays. I suppose he could still do the odd game for us as well.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Wells off? on 13:57 - Jan 22 with 2398 viewsW7Ranger

Wells off? on 12:08 - Jan 22 by bosh67

Is that 25k per week pretty accurate?

Also, how much of that do we pay? Is it half?
Wells off? on 14:06 - Jan 22 with 2343 viewsTGRRRSSS

Why are we paying him £500K at the end of the season?
Wells off? on 14:14 - Jan 22 with 2302 viewsbosh67

Wells off? on 13:57 - Jan 22 by W7Ranger

Is that 25k per week pretty accurate?

Also, how much of that do we pay? Is it half?

We are paying him just over a third of his annual contracted wage which is why he occasionally goes off the boil after about 33 minutes.

Never knowingly right.

Wells off? on 14:17 - Jan 22 with 2271 viewsMick_S

"He scores with his left hand,

He scores with his right"...

I nicked that.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wells off? on 14:17 - Jan 22 with 2267 viewsW7Ranger

Wells off? on 14:14 - Jan 22 by bosh67

We are paying him just over a third of his annual contracted wage which is why he occasionally goes off the boil after about 33 minutes.

Is that info available anywhere? Trying to prove to someone that...

A) he's not on 45k a week!!

B) we're not paying all of it!!
Wells off? on 14:35 - Jan 22 with 2173 viewsstevec

Wells off? on 13:09 - Jan 22 by Antti_Heinola

If Burnley pay up his contract, then why would they bother selling now? The only reason for them to do that is if someone else (ie Bristol) pay that. At the moment, they're saving money. If Bristol buy him, they need to cover what he stands to lose.

If you've been paying attention, you'll have noticed that the wage bill has been drastically reduced - we bid £3m for a defender in the summer. So clearly there is now finally some wiggle room (although not much), and I've never said different - although obviously you will cling to the negative and ignore any positive, as that is your often tiresome persona.

Cheeky monkey
Wells off? on 14:47 - Jan 22 with 2110 viewsed_83

Would be really disappointed if he goes, but we can't be surprised at other teams outbidding us for quality players, or at players following the money.

I have absolutely no doubt that MW, LH and LF will have been aware that this might happen, and will have planned in advance for it.

All we can really do is offer Nakhi a deal which fits our financial structure, and hope that the promise of regular first-team football in a team built for his strengths, in a city where he's settled and happy, with a fanbase which loves him, will be enough to offset the extra wages he might earn sitting on the bench somewhere else.
Wells off? on 15:08 - Jan 22 with 2053 viewsW7Ranger

Wells off? on 14:14 - Jan 22 by bosh67

Where is it shown that we're paying a 3rd of Wells salary?
Wells off? on 15:11 - Jan 22 with 2042 viewsrsonist

Wells off? on 14:47 - Jan 22 by ed_83

Would be really disappointed if he goes, but we can't be surprised at other teams outbidding us for quality players, or at players following the money.

I have absolutely no doubt that MW, LH and LF will have been aware that this might happen, and will have planned in advance for it.

All we can really do is offer Nakhi a deal which fits our financial structure, and hope that the promise of regular first-team football in a team built for his strengths, in a city where he's settled and happy, with a fanbase which loves him, will be enough to offset the extra wages he might earn sitting on the bench somewhere else.

Bristol City only really have Diedhiou up top out-and-out - I shouldn't think he'd get significantly less minutes there than with us, if at all.
Wells off? on 15:15 - Jan 22 with 2007 viewsJacksDad

Burnley have recalled him .... F@ckers
Wells off? on 15:18 - Jan 22 with 1988 viewsJacksDad

Wells off? on 15:15 - Jan 22 by JacksDad

Sorry stitched up by a d1ck on twitter
Wells off? on 15:19 - Jan 22 with 1973 viewsbosh67

Wells off? on 15:15 - Jan 22 by JacksDad

Not seeing this yet on the wires. Where did you see it?

Never knowingly right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024