Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. 20:33 - Jan 22 with 5402 viewsBlackCrowe

Sweet jesus. She's a charmer eh?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 20:39 - Jan 22 with 3189 viewsRangersDave

elaborate mate?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 20:39 - Jan 22 with 3191 viewsDWQPR

Cannot stand Lady Nugee at all. Pompous and sneering.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 21:35 - Jan 22 with 3011 viewsHayesender

People like her, Abbott and Chakrabati are the reason the labour party is unelectable in working class areas in the North. They really do need to look at themselves

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 21:45 - Jan 22 with 2960 viewsMiss_Terraces

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 21:35 - Jan 22 by Hayesender

People like her, Abbott and Chakrabati are the reason the labour party is unelectable in working class areas in the North. They really do need to look at themselves

Andy Burnham was all set to lead the party and then hopefully the country. Enter momentum and the labour party and this country have both seriously suffered.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:26 - Jan 22 with 2799 viewsTonto

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 21:35 - Jan 22 by Hayesender

you mean the people who just voted for Boris Johnson, the multi millionaire, who went to Eton and has a penchant for speaking Latin?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:33 - Jan 22 with 2769 viewsHayesender

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:26 - Jan 22 by Tonto

you mean the people who just voted for Boris Johnson, the multi millionaire, who went to Eton and has a penchant for speaking Latin?

I know!!! Just as well Abbott and Chakrabati didn't send their children to private school

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:35 - Jan 22 with 2763 viewsKonk

I can understand why people might not warm to Abbot and Thornberry, as I don't have much time for either, but I look at the Tory cabinet and it's hardly packed with warm, cuddly, relatable characters who radiate empathy, compassion or an interest in towns/regions that have been neglected and left to fend for themselves. They lost those Northern seats because large numbers of people there wanted Brexit and didn't want Corbyn as PM.

I think Starmer is a far more attractive leader, with a far broader appeal, and people like Nandy, Philips and Rayner are relatable and decent in the media. They also then don't have Corbyn, Brexit or Anti-semitism with which to contend.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:38 - Jan 22 with 2749 viewsflynnbo

Wasn’t Thornberry from a one parent family off a council estate? I think she’s done well for herself not that I have a lot of time for her.
Login to get fewer ads

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:48 - Jan 22 with 2694 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The same one who hates the flag that's been on our ships since the 13th century.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 23:32 - Jan 22 with 2562 viewsBoston

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:48 - Jan 22 by Metallica_Hoop

The same one who hates the flag that's been on our ships since the 13th century.

Fck, isn't it about time you bought a new one!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 23:41 - Jan 22 with 2557 viewsCamberleyR

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 22:38 - Jan 22 by flynnbo

Wasn’t Thornberry from a one parent family off a council estate? I think she’s done well for herself not that I have a lot of time for her.

Only part of the story. She wasn't born into that. Her father was a human rights lawyer who had also taught at Cambridge and the LSE. He later rose to be an assistant secretary general of the UN. He walked out of the family when she was seven which forced the family to leave the family home and it was from this time she was brought up in a council house. Her mother was a teacher.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 23:59 - Jan 22 with 2518 viewsJigsore

Hope everyone will be reading my column in The Times this week about how the London metropolitan liberal elite (where have all these dogs come from?) of Labour has fallen out of touch with the common person and seemed not to truly believe in the Brexit project. Therefore i'm in the Leadership election I will be endorsing (Sir) Keir, the London MP who was famously one of the most pro-EU voices in the shadow cabinet and certainly hasn't got any background the tabloids would f*cking hammer him for (except all that John Worboys early release stuff that Carrie Symonds was a victim of)

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 00:19 - Jan 23 with 2488 viewsLazyFan

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 23:59 - Jan 22 by Jigsore

Hope everyone will be reading my column in The Times this week about how the London metropolitan liberal elite (where have all these dogs come from?) of Labour has fallen out of touch with the common person and seemed not to truly believe in the Brexit project. Therefore i'm in the Leadership election I will be endorsing (Sir) Keir, the London MP who was famously one of the most pro-EU voices in the shadow cabinet and certainly hasn't got any background the tabloids would f*cking hammer him for (except all that John Worboys early release stuff that Carrie Symonds was a victim of)

How will the North relate to a Southerner who is a Knight of the Realm and embodies all that is the Westminster elite cable?

Boris will rip him to shreds as someone of the Establishment, a gift that will keep on giving to distract from Boris himself. That's why the right-wing press like the Times wants him as Labour leader. Because he will lose and if, by some miracle he wins, he will do as he is told as he is one of them.

He is a Blairite and along with Brexit, the North has told the Labour Party no more Blairism, they hate it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 00:37 - Jan 23 with 2472 viewsNorthLondonR

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 00:19 - Jan 23 by LazyFan

How will the North relate to a Southerner who is a Knight of the Realm and embodies all that is the Westminster elite cable?

Boris will rip him to shreds as someone of the Establishment, a gift that will keep on giving to distract from Boris himself. That's why the right-wing press like the Times wants him as Labour leader. Because he will lose and if, by some miracle he wins, he will do as he is told as he is one of them.

He is a Blairite and along with Brexit, the North has told the Labour Party no more Blairism, they hate it.

All that I will add is that I sat next to her on the 259 bus n around June 2018 when I got on at York way and she seemed pleasant enough. Spoke to anyone who asked a question and talked about Trumps impending visit and the flight path of his ludicrous choppers across the N19 skyline...
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 00:43 - Jan 23 with 2463 viewsJigsore

they're just gutted they couldn't get more content out of the whole Jess Phillips carcrash

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 03:21 - Jan 23 with 2370 viewsPlanetHonneywood

"Et nuntiatum est illi:" indigenos gratos dicere quod in Rochdale

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 07:15 - Jan 23 with 2244 viewsToast_R

Her pitch of getting a better Brexit deal and then campaigning against it was a real vote winner.

Can't stand the woman. I'd go for Nandy out of all those candidates. She seems to be the only one who's not in denial about how bad Labour are at the moment.
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 07:36 - Jan 23 with 2196 viewsWatford_Ranger

He’s a bright bloke from a humble background who has done exceptionally well for himself which appears to not be what people want. Not sure many people can relate to Boris and his assortment of under-qualified cronies more but then I’m not the 50-something northern voter they’ve just accumulated.

Honest question. What do they want in a Labour leader as I just see every candidate mocked by the Ians and Grahams on Twitter?
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 08:12 - Jan 23 with 2130 viewsHunterhoop

As someone that doesn’t vote for Lab or Cons but wants to see Lab become an effective opposition so the potential for a centre left coalition increases, I think it has to be a straight choice between Nandy and Starmer now.

Some very good points raised on the latter on here about whether he’d resonate in the North. However, he is intelligent, a good public speaker, good in the Commons, and will be much more effective at holding Boris to account. Remember Labour don’t just need to win back the north; they need to win back middle England. For all his faults, Blair did manage to do both. You can’t get close to winning an election without taking some middle England seats off the Tories. So your leader needs to appeal to them too. Starmer might.

That said, I do tend to agree that Nandy is the right profile, if currently less experienced. A female leader; born and raised in the North West; not associated with Corbyn; a daughter of an immigrant; a pretty clean career to date, and she appears to be the one listening most to the electorate. She might be able to win back the north whilst also gaining some middle England seats.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 8:35]
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 08:27 - Jan 23 with 2091 viewsCiderwithRsie

I'm coming from the same place as Hunter. So far I think Nandy the best candidate by a mile. She's not exactly my politics but she doesn't have to be.

She seems to want to take the best bits of Corbyn and Blair and not slag off either, which is a refreshing change from the usual left-wing approach i.e. to denounce everyone on your own side who is a bit different as a traitor.
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 09:04 - Jan 23 with 1997 viewsMrSheen

Not that I’m the person for Labour voters to take advice from, but I also think Nandy would be their best bet for winning an election. However, I have to express my admiration for RLB’s principled position on late abortion. She has alienated supporters and handed a potent weapon to her rivals for no advantage to herself, to stand up for what she believes (disclosure, I completely agree with her, on this at least).
Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 09:06 - Jan 23 with 1991 viewskropotkin41

Couple of things about this:

1. It's really imoportant , if we'rew going to be grown up that people who consider themselves of the Centre or Centre-Left have a proper look at Corbyn's achievements *Jaws drop*. In 2017 with a more radical manifesto he secured the biggest swing to Labour since 1945, and even in 2019 Labour still did comparably (pop vote) to several recent elections.

2. If anything seems to be have been rejected in 2019, it was the "Centre".

3. For the bulk of the mass media it doesn't matter who leads the Labour Party they will be a prime target. It happened to Brown, Milliband, and Corbyn, it happened all those years ago to Foot. Unless the Lab leader is a close personal friend of Murdoch, they'll be attacked.

4. If no-one over 45 had voted, Labour would have won the election - that's really important unless you think youngsters are suddenly going to have all the opportunities to buy houses and have secure jobs and pensions that the older lot had. They're not going to become Tories.

5. You might be Remain, you might hate what's happening, but touching on 70 of the seats lab will need to win in 2024 (Bit of a faint hope, I'd say) were Leave seats. A Remainer leader banging on about the EU is going to get Labour properly done next time around. (In any event Guy Verhofstadt is probably right, the next generation will take us back into the EU anyway.... long game.)

6. Finally, the Labour Movement is a shambles, and turning up on people's doorsteps and asking for their vote every few years is no way for the Left to behave. It's much l;ess important to just win in 2024 than it is to address the long term malaise in community and workplace organising. The Left needs to build communities and bring people together, and that can't be done in Westminster, and won't be done by the likes of Starmer. Labour is the biggest Left(ish) party in Europe, half a million members, they need to get properly active..... and then the votes will come because people will believe them.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 09:14 - Jan 23 with 1970 viewsBlackCrowe

A council house in the Surrey market town of Guildford is hardly Broadwater Farm.

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 09:32 - Jan 23 with 1898 viewsCamberleyR

I've never failed to be impressed by Lisa Nandy when ever she's been interviewed on TV. She seems really down to earth, speaks really well, knows her brief and never seems to get flustered. I thought she stood up pretty well to the grilling Andrew Neil gave her on his show last week, not letting herself be bullied by him and several times asking him to stop interrupting her and let her answer his question.

As has been said she is not in denial about what a state the party is in with the electorate, particularly in her part of the world. As for her chances, a lot will depend on whether Long-Bailey gets on the final ballot paper which she probably will as Unite will almost certainly back her. If it's a three way fight between her, Starmer and Long-Bailey, she may not receive enough first preference votes in the first round to stay in the contest.

Personally I think Long-Bailey would be a disaster (although not for the Tories) as she seems a cold person and completely lacks any charisma or charm as well as being a blind acolyte of Corbyn.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Emily Thornberry interview on Andrew Neil earlier. on 09:42 - Jan 23 with 1853 viewsBlackCrowe

I too want the best opposition possible.

I like Nandy...she's smart and calm but just don't think she has sufficient presence/gravitas.

If Starmer gets it, and gets the likes of Nandy, Yvette Cooper, Benn, Kinnock, Phillips, Austin (to sort the anti-semite tag), Bryant, Eagle...they might just have the start of something. Momentum and hard left supporters will hate it though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024