Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Living in North London 12:04 - Jan 26 with 6225 viewsNed_Kennedys

Well it looks like I've got myself a new job in Hendon and will move to North London, an area I don't know too well really. Has anyone got any good recommendations on nice areas to live in that general area?
Living in North London on 16:41 - Jan 26 with 1713 viewshantssi

‘Twas a rough pub, you’re right!
Preston Manor was actually on Elmstead Ave, in fact one of mates still lived there until late ‘18 when he moved up to Norfolk, an odd place for a Chelsea ST holder to move to!
A good selections of curry houses on Wembley Triangle for afters!
Living in North London on 16:48 - Jan 26 with 1693 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 16:41 - Jan 26 by hantssi

‘Twas a rough pub, you’re right!
Preston Manor was actually on Elmstead Ave, in fact one of mates still lived there until late ‘18 when he moved up to Norfolk, an odd place for a Chelsea ST holder to move to!
A good selections of curry houses on Wembley Triangle for afters!

Preston Manor, next street along, Carlton Avenue East at the junction with Forty Ave mate.

Rough, because it was run into the ground by the last few owners. Clientele wasn't overly iffy, though occasional horror stories, like most establishments.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 16:50]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Living in North London on 16:57 - Jan 26 with 1686 viewshantssi

Ah yes, old age catching up with me, after all I did leave over 40 years ago!
Changed a lot over the years, pub gone, petrol station gone, Village Inn in Wembley High Street (roughest pub I’ve EVER been in!) gone, I actually hate going back as it’s really quite depressing!
I know it was rough growing up but it still holds all my childhood and adolescent memories!
Living in North London on 17:08 - Jan 26 with 1654 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 16:57 - Jan 26 by hantssi

Ah yes, old age catching up with me, after all I did leave over 40 years ago!
Changed a lot over the years, pub gone, petrol station gone, Village Inn in Wembley High Street (roughest pub I’ve EVER been in!) gone, I actually hate going back as it’s really quite depressing!
I know it was rough growing up but it still holds all my childhood and adolescent memories!

I'll send you a pm, we may have crossed paths, you were drinking in all the wrong places. like me.

Living in North London on 17:34 - Jan 26 with 1643 viewsRamseyR

Lived in West Hendon and Burnt Oak in my time. West Hendon not too bad now and on the up. Colindale, Kingsbury and Edgware all ok. Avoid Burnt Oak now as it's worse than ever. Hendon Bell and Hendon Central areas all ok. Very close to Brent Cross tube nice, but budget starting to creep up. Golders Green, Hampstead etc very pricy as previously said. £900 would probably get you a room in a shared house.

*I'm also an old regular in the Village Inn, Wembley ..early eighties
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 20:29]
Living in North London on 17:45 - Jan 26 with 1628 viewsLoftusR

I'm in crouch end which is nice. Bit of a village feel to the place as lots of local community activity which you can get involved in very easily and a good way to meet new people.

It is a 20 minute drive up to Hendon even in rush hour. Accomodation is a bit pricey £1500 per month for a good two bed flat but cheaper can be found. Muswell Hill and East Finchley are also nice but a bit more burbs.
Living in North London on 17:51 - Jan 26 with 1618 viewswelwynranger

Definitely not Kilburn or Cricklewood.
Living in North London on 18:19 - Jan 26 with 1572 viewsrunningman75

Depends on what you are looking for in terms of entertainment , leisure etc. Hendon is on Thameslink. I would probably go for somewhere such as Cricklewood which is one stop from Hendon and good links to central London. Kilburn nearby has 24 hour Jubilee line.
Login to get fewer ads

Living in North London on 18:22 - Jan 26 with 1562 viewsqueensparker

Queens Park / Kensal Green has been a brilliant place to live for me for a lot of my life and handy for Hendon (and Rangers) but it’s got a lot pricier in the last decade as the yuppies have descended . If you’re single definitely worth checking out.

Loads of decent flats and flat shares about and plenty to do plus really good transport connections to west end / east etc
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 18:25]
Living in North London on 19:00 - Jan 26 with 1514 viewsqprxtc

Many years ago I was engaged to a girl from Archway. Spent a lot of time in the Archway Tavern and the Irish pubs down the Holloway Road. The Gresham used to be a nightmare. Don’t think many are still there now?

That’s all I know about North London.

Oh, tell a lie. My brothers partner lives in Highgate and there are good pubs there. The Wrestlers has a certain charm to it.

That’s all I know about North London.
Living in North London on 19:11 - Jan 26 with 1486 viewsenfieldargh

Living in North London on 15:43 - Jan 26 by hantssi

Kingsbury man myself, Blackbird Cross end, Kingsbury’s not bad as is Queensbury or Canons Park, do NOT live in Burnt Oak!

I was dragged up old church lane

As for living close to Herndon renting is pricey everywhere

Finchley is ok although parking is awful as is around West Hempstead

Permit holders only and be prepared to park a bit away from your front door

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Living in North London on 19:18 - Jan 26 with 1476 viewskensalriser

Don't drive to work and if you can help it, don't drive anywhere in London because almost everything about it is very annoying.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Living in North London on 20:12 - Jan 26 with 1436 viewsizlingtonhoop

Living in North London on 19:18 - Jan 26 by kensalriser

Don't drive to work and if you can help it, don't drive anywhere in London because almost everything about it is very annoying.

Is spot on
Living in North London on 20:49 - Jan 26 with 1397 viewshubble

Just think, you'll be able to go up and down this every day...

... the stairway to Hendon...
Living in North London on 20:53 - Jan 26 with 1392 viewshantssi

Used to cut through St Andrews church yard into Old Church Lane going to the Welsh Harp!
The old church is PACKED (standing room only outside as well) every Sunday morning now, was a museum piece run by the Wembley Historic Society back in my day!
Living in North London on 21:49 - Jan 26 with 1307 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 20:53 - Jan 26 by hantssi

Used to cut through St Andrews church yard into Old Church Lane going to the Welsh Harp!
The old church is PACKED (standing room only outside as well) every Sunday morning now, was a museum piece run by the Wembley Historic Society back in my day!

Mosque is it now?

Living in North London on 23:48 - Jan 26 with 1258 viewsNed_Kennedys

Thanks for all the comments and tips so far: much appreciated.
Living in North London on 23:58 - Jan 26 with 1243 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 23:48 - Jan 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Thanks for all the comments and tips so far: much appreciated.

Staying in Bournemouth?

Living in North London on 23:59 - Jan 26 with 1246 viewsNed_Kennedys

Living in North London on 23:58 - Jan 26 by Boston

Staying in Bournemouth?

Too late for that now. Its worth paying most of your wages to live in London though.
Living in North London on 00:13 - Jan 27 with 1217 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 23:59 - Jan 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Too late for that now. Its worth paying most of your wages to live in London though.

You go girl.

Living in North London on 09:39 - Jan 27 with 1137 viewshantssi

Boston, it’s actually the Eastern European’s although I know that was very tongue in cheek!
They have to have parking security all around the area so the roads don’t get blocked!
My first job (apart from a paper round) was in Safeway, Blackbird across, 6 ‘till 9 stacking shelves,£1 an hour!
When I took my apprenticeship it was more like 50p an hour!
Living in North London on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 1134 viewsdoogi10

collindale is good a few good pubs and a lot of qpr supporters in that area.lived in rushgrove avenue very goos asda and morrisons and goodpubs on the high street.
Living in North London on 09:44 - Jan 27 with 1133 viewshantssi

Ned, will you have to go back to Bournemouth on a regular basis, seeing family etc?
If so you probably want to be further west not east.
When I go back the worst bit is the M25 from the top of the M3 and the bit across NW London, I’ve tried every route I know and it always takes an hour from the top of the M3 to Wembley!
Living in North London on 19:37 - Feb 24 with 941 viewsNed_Kennedys

Update on this: just moved in to a nice flat in East Finchley.
Anyone recommend any of the boozers around here?
Living in North London on 01:15 - Feb 25 with 761 viewsBoston

Living in North London on 19:37 - Feb 24 by Ned_Kennedys

Update on this: just moved in to a nice flat in East Finchley.
Anyone recommend any of the boozers around here?

Do the local hostelry's serve tony cinzano's?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024