Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
15 more years of 'normal' cars left 09:16 - Feb 4 with 8837 viewsRangersDave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

Ok, so i havnt really got many objections to this, apart from....

1) no range. if i cannot drive from scouse town to strasburg on 1 charge of electricery rather than on a tank of gas stopping only for a loo break and the tunnel then i'm out.

2) charging points.... not enough, and should all have a single compatible plug

3) costs of buying them, and the battery if replacements are needed

4) charging speed. i dont want to have to sit there for anything more than 15 minutes when i have a long journey to complete waiting for the car to charge.

Plus i want to be able to use the radio, air conditioning, lights etc and not have to keep looking at the battery level while doing a trip to London, for instance.

They need to cancel HS2, and put 'upgradable' charging point infrastructure in place now.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 09:35 - Feb 4 with 3516 viewsBuckR

The main issue being that electricity does not come carbon free for the most part. How do people think its generated?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 9:35]
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 09:56 - Feb 4 with 3446 views2Thomas2Bowles

The Yanks will never, or for 100 years or more, give up "gas" cars 270M so on it's own or even with other nations it's a drop in the ocean.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:08 - Feb 4 with 3432 viewsWestbourneR

Yeah because you waiting longer than 15 minutes once per 500 mile journey is much more important than the future of the entire planet - and the health of your children.

Cretin.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:33 - Feb 4 with 3374 viewsstevec

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:08 - Feb 4 by WestbourneR

Yeah because you waiting longer than 15 minutes once per 500 mile journey is much more important than the future of the entire planet - and the health of your children.

Cretin.

20 years ago the experts were telling us all to go diesel, what a monumental fck up that turned out to be.

People should be questioning this stuff. They are coming out with policy without any idea whether the infrastructure will be sufficient or workable.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:35 - Feb 4 with 3367 viewsloftboy

If you go back 15 years and see how many electric cars were on the roads then compared to now, I reckon it’s doable I see they are already putting sockets onto lamposts, hopefully we can get more wind farms built ( lot more pleasing on the eye than pylons)
technology is only going to improve, in 15 years you will probably be getting 400 miles off a single charge.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:37 - Feb 4 with 3361 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

(1) Electric car ranges are improving by 15% a year according to what I have read.
Average 80 miles in 2011, 275 miles by 2022, 400 miles predicted by 2028, 500 miles possible by 2030.

(2) No reason why there shouldn't be more than enough charging points by the 2030s.

(3) Costs will tumble as volumes increase. Probably be cheaper than petrol/diesel cars by the 2030s.

(4) Technology bound to improve considerably. Think of mobile phones 15 years ago. Nokia 1110.

HS2 essential as air travel will be cut back to achieve carbon neutral. eg no chance of Heathrow expansion, now completely illogical, emissions impossible plus the local environmental damage.

Fossil fuel use will have to decrease to near zero by 2040/2050.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:43 - Feb 4 with 3350 viewsPunteR

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:37 - Feb 4 by Spaghetti_Hoops

(1) Electric car ranges are improving by 15% a year according to what I have read.
Average 80 miles in 2011, 275 miles by 2022, 400 miles predicted by 2028, 500 miles possible by 2030.

(2) No reason why there shouldn't be more than enough charging points by the 2030s.

(3) Costs will tumble as volumes increase. Probably be cheaper than petrol/diesel cars by the 2030s.

(4) Technology bound to improve considerably. Think of mobile phones 15 years ago. Nokia 1110.

HS2 essential as air travel will be cut back to achieve carbon neutral. eg no chance of Heathrow expansion, now completely illogical, emissions impossible plus the local environmental damage.

Fossil fuel use will have to decrease to near zero by 2040/2050.

Drone technology is the future

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:43 - Feb 4 with 3337 views2Thomas2Bowles

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:33 - Feb 4 by stevec

20 years ago the experts were telling us all to go diesel, what a monumental fck up that turned out to be.

People should be questioning this stuff. They are coming out with policy without any idea whether the infrastructure will be sufficient or workable.

What are they going to replace the fuel duty with? and the loss of tax on the fuel industries and job losses.

I fully agree that drastic action around the world needs to happen soon but in all honesty, devastation will come first, it's already happening.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 10:44]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:54 - Feb 4 with 3304 viewsMelakaRanger

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:08 - Feb 4 by WestbourneR

Cretin.

Spot on

I’ve been driving an EV for 4 years now. We are no tree huggers but are thinking of the world we are leaving our children and grandchildren

Yes they are more expensive to buy but not necessarily so if you lease them. And they are dead cheap to run.

Currently (no pun) I pay just 5p per kw to charge my car. My annual mileage of approx 8000 miles costs me £100 in fuel. £100 for 8000 miles.

Many EV owners also have solar panels so their annual motoring fuel bill is literally peanuts.

To many people spout absolute bullocks when trying to put down EVs
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:55 - Feb 4 with 3299 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’d love to do my bit and go electric.

£26k for a Electric fiesta though!
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:09 - Feb 4 with 3250 viewsRangersDave

I'd love an electric car, i really would.

However i live where charging is 'problematic' at home, because of the distance from the house to the vehicle, and this area is used by other traffic (foot and vehicle)

in fact before i got my latest car i went looking for hybrids to start the change, but the costs of a large hybrid SUV were too much for my pocket.

As stated i need the range, its important for my work especially when in very rural locations. so it will be very problematical foe me if 1) there arent enough charging stations to go round, and 2) the range wont get me to my place of work (which from week to week can be either end of the UK)

I note this morning that the government arent saying how they will recoup fuel tax from the driving peeps, or how electric charging points will be provided and by whom.

I seem to remember, and stand to be corrected, that on a tv show last year they showed a chap looking for charging points around bristol, on his clever car app/sat nav, he visited 4 before he found one compatible with his car and /or available to use (not in use)

What are we all going to do when there arent enough charging points to go round, your stuck in traffic and you cannot get to work to earn money to feed your kids?

This cretin is pleased to say i wont be name calling back to others who have a different view to me, as its a 'free world', but i would point out that the UK wont be the country that tips this world into cockroach ville, even if we stayed as we are at the minute with our dirty cars.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:10 - Feb 4 with 3249 viewsMrSheen

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:55 - Feb 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’d love to do my bit and go electric.

£26k for a Electric fiesta though!

Battery technology needs another jump ahead to improve durability, range and safety, and take out rare and dubious ingredients like cobalt. It should happen, but you can’t be sure when. Should it happen, older battery vehicles will have the value and appeal of an Austin Allegro.

Just replaced my old diesel Honda with a midget Skoda Citigo. £7,000, two years old. 70 mpg, and so ugly you wouldn’t want to drive it anyway. One way of going green.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 11:14]
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:19 - Feb 4 with 3204 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Timely thread, this one.

I'm just about to change my car and thinking about electric. but know nothing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:23 - Feb 4 with 3193 viewsMrSheen

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:19 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Timely thread, this one.

What’s the longest journey you take regularly? If it’s more than 100 miles, don’t bother with pure electric, as you can’t rely on getting out and home on all but the highest end battery car.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:26 - Feb 4 with 3177 viewsBrianMcCarthy

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:23 - Feb 4 by MrSheen

What’s the longest journey you take regularly? If it’s more than 100 miles, don’t bother with pure electric, as you can’t rely on getting out and home on all but the highest end battery car.

From Cork City to the family home in Beara is 85miles e/w on country roads, Sheen.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:26 - Feb 4 with 3177 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Interesting thread and good to see Dave not bite to being needlessly called a cretin.

I think we are finally seeing that this is going to be taken seriously and scaled up now. Virtually all the research and development costs of the major car manufacturers are looking at alternatives to the traditional ones which is great. What a different world it is going to be to not have to rely on the price of oil. I wonder how that will pan out in the Middle East. No wonder there are so many Middle Eastern investors in property etc now. That accumulated wealth is going to have to work a lot harder in the future when their traditional income from oil dries up.

Will the reliance on oil be replaced by problems with Electricity supply though? We have already witnessed the reluctance to invest in power stations. Will renewables be able to fill the gap? It will be fascinating to watch it all unravel but it should all be very positive for the environment and the World Economy potentially.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:31 - Feb 4 with 3144 viewsDavieQPR

They need to sort out the technology of Wind Farms first which still require fossil fuel back ups. What is the point in using extra electricity if it is produced from fossil fuels.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:34 - Feb 4 with 3127 viewsted_hendrix

Don't laugh but I actually purchased a new battery operated lawn mower yesterday.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:34 - Feb 4 with 3127 viewsMaggsinho

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:31 - Feb 4 by DavieQPR

They need to sort out the technology of Wind Farms first which still require fossil fuel back ups. What is the point in using extra electricity if it is produced from fossil fuels.

Zero carbon energy was the largest source of electricity in 2019 compared to fossil fuels so you'd expect the vast majority to be so in 2035.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:35 - Feb 4 with 3120 viewsMrSheen

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:26 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

From Cork City to the family home in Beara is 85miles e/w on country roads, Sheen.

Unless you can put a charging point in at each end, that probably rules out battery-only. Vauxhall (I think) are advertising a 230 mile range model, but rechargeable car batteries eventually go the same way as your phone and hold less charge. What subsidy do you get for hybrids there now?

The when-to-buy debate about battery cars is like the one my parents had about colour TV in the 70s. Price is falling and quality rising so steadily that waiting seems the right option. I thought about a new hybrid this time, but settled for a small second hand petrol car in the interim.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 11:41]
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:39 - Feb 4 with 3112 viewsMick_S

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:34 - Feb 4 by ted_hendrix

Don't laugh but I actually purchased a new battery operated lawn mower yesterday.

I have one, Ted. Cord free heaven and the bonus is that when the battery runs down you can just stop and hide somewhere; this loafing is not applicable to electric cars, though.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:52 - Feb 4 with 3071 viewsbob566

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:19 - Feb 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Timely thread, this one.

we're not ready for it in Ireland. A friend of the missus took 8 hours to get from Dublin to Limerick. No charge points. A couple here and there. According to ESB we have 1100 for the whole island. No way is Ireland ready.
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:52 - Feb 4 with 3071 viewsLongsufferingR

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:34 - Feb 4 by ted_hendrix

Well you're not going to get very far in that Ted!
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:52 - Feb 4 with 3066 viewsLongsufferingR

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 09:35 - Feb 4 by BuckR

The main issue being that electricity does not come carbon free for the most part. How do people think its generated?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 9:35]

Butterfly wings?
15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 11:54 - Feb 4 with 3056 viewsWestbourneR

15 more years of 'normal' cars left on 10:43 - Feb 4 by 2Thomas2Bowles

What are they going to replace the fuel duty with? and the loss of tax on the fuel industries and job losses.

I fully agree that drastic action around the world needs to happen soon but in all honesty, devastation will come first, it's already happening.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 10:44]

That's a extremely productive attitude. Enlightened and logical. 'It's a terrible disaster so let's do nothing'. Great.

I thought you said just it's wise for people to question this stuff... which an equally vacuous thing to say - especially as you're saying you do accept it yourself... or don't you?

The recommendation to switch to diesel is no comparison at all as that was advised because diesel releases less greenhouse gases - it however does release more pollutants that are harmful to breathe. Two totally different issues and not one that invalidates the science in any way at all.

You can say 'question this stuff' but it's equally important to actually listen to the answers.

I notice nobody is saying 'question whether smoking causes cancer' but when it comes to rock solid climate science suddenly every scepetic is is a expert.

The only possible reason to oppose this stuff is because you're too selfish and narrow minded to change. End of.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 12:00]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024