Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vinyl, cd, download or stream 12:23 - Feb 13 with 2119 viewsqprxtc

I’m going through all my old LPs and giving them an airing. I’ve got to say it’s been bloody good fun and a bit therapeutic.

Maybe this is the best way to listen to music? Certainly gives a bit more value than just streaming it. I’ve never signed up to Spotify or any other of those streaming cobblers. Just doesn’t seem right to me.

On the other hand I don’t fancy paying over £20 for records these days, not so long back you could barely give them away. Trendy gits with beards and craft beer making their mark.

CDs are good for reissues and downloading has its place. But vinyl is where it’s at for me.

English Settlement about to be spun. Good evening Swindon.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 12:47 - Feb 13 with 1706 viewsfrancisbowles

Vinyl probably best for sound quality,. CDs easy to play and change in the car (partner or quick stop),digital downloads etc best for gym, train, walking etc.

The difficulty and/or
pleasure with vinyl is you have to sit and listen.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 14:43]
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:19 - Feb 13 with 1633 viewsNorthantsHoop

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 12:47 - Feb 13 by francisbowles

Vinyl probably best for sound quality,. CDs easy to play and change in the car (partner or quick stop),digital downloads etc best for gym, train, walking etc.

The difficulty and/or
pleasure with vinyl is you have to sit and listen.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 14:43]

In the old days could not beat the thrill of buying a new or used vinyl LP, usually from Sellanby in South Harrow. The magic of unveiling a great rock album, the gatefold cover, hopefully the printed inner sleeve. But the frustration of scratched and warped records eliminated by the perfect sound of the CD when it came along in the 80s.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:22 - Feb 13 with 1629 viewsMick_S

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:19 - Feb 13 by NorthantsHoop

In the old days could not beat the thrill of buying a new or used vinyl LP, usually from Sellanby in South Harrow. The magic of unveiling a great rock album, the gatefold cover, hopefully the printed inner sleeve. But the frustration of scratched and warped records eliminated by the perfect sound of the CD when it came along in the 80s.

South Harrow Market?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:30 - Feb 13 with 1619 viewsqpr1976

Another consideration -

I used to love pouring over the lyrics printed on inner sleeves in the glory days of vinyl. Sadly on the occasions a CD comes with lyrics in an accompanying booklet, my ageing eyes struggle to read the reduced font size used therein. Even with reading glasses.
And I refuse to invest in a magnifying glass.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 15:02 - Feb 13 with 1584 viewsNed_Kennedys

Vinyl all the way!
Been a serious collector over the last decade or so and had thousands of LPs but now getting it down to manageable levels by selling on ebay as I just wasn't listening to most of it.
Not cheap now: the days of finding bargains at the numerous Record & Tape Exchange branches in Notting Hill (and the much missed one on Goldhawk Road) are long gone.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 15:12 - Feb 13 with 1574 viewsMick_S

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 15:02 - Feb 13 by Ned_Kennedys

Vinyl all the way!
Been a serious collector over the last decade or so and had thousands of LPs but now getting it down to manageable levels by selling on ebay as I just wasn't listening to most of it.
Not cheap now: the days of finding bargains at the numerous Record & Tape Exchange branches in Notting Hill (and the much missed one on Goldhawk Road) are long gone.

There used to be a good second hand shop in Wealdstone behind the greengrocers by the army surplus shop. This was in the early 80's and the records were not cheap then.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 17:27 - Feb 13 with 1503 viewsStanisgod

Just replaced all my equipment. New deck, amp cd player, speakers etc.
Sounds superb.
Viva vinyl.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 17:52 - Feb 13 with 1482 views100percent

I've got the full monty set up in the living room, deck, CDJ's and mixer with an input for Ipod type MP3 things.
I own a shed load of vinyl and masses of CDs. For me its more convenient from a space point of view and for quality of sound to play CDs. I know this will be sacrilege to the purists but I don't get this Vinyl fetish any longer - LPs are awkward, big and unless remastered, quality is not as good.
I'm not into this apple/spotify type thing - I like to own the album and play it when I want and have it as my property....
with saying that, my old punk collection doesn't sound any better on any format....
Login to get fewer ads

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 18:04 - Feb 13 with 1474 viewsted_hendrix

We had a thread like this before where I posted my delight and getting a brand new album and weirdly 'sniffing' inside the album before taking the album out and playing it.
The sound of the stylus softly landing on the record for the first time (you know that gentle crack sound).
It's all gone now, I'm now in the clutches of some tit called Mr Apple, the k hunt once had the audacity to download some shyte U2 album on my I-Poddle thing without my permission (fck knows how Mr Apple managed that).
I had A Leak deck, speakers and amplifier, they were bloody superb.

(I havent had my tea yet).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 18:49 - Feb 13 with 1438 viewsPunteR

I dont feel like i properly own digital music weirdly. Its very accessible and always there if i want to download or stream which is handy. Its always there floating around the internet.
Vinyl on the otherhand is mine. I own that piece of music. Its a tangable, living breathing thing when i place the needle on it. Its been with me from my teenage years so i have a connection with it. I love it. Walt's n all.
I still buy it when i can. Although i draw a line when it comes to silly prices.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream (n/t) on 18:52 - Feb 13 with 1434 viewsStanisgod

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 18:49 - Feb 13 by PunteR

I dont feel like i properly own digital music weirdly. Its very accessible and always there if i want to download or stream which is handy. Its always there floating around the internet.
Vinyl on the otherhand is mine. I own that piece of music. Its a tangable, living breathing thing when i place the needle on it. Its been with me from my teenage years so i have a connection with it. I love it. Walt's n all.
I still buy it when i can. Although i draw a line when it comes to silly prices.

[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 18:55]

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 18:56 - Feb 13 with 1425 viewsJuzzie

‘Silly prices’ are driven by a number of factors.

Public wants printed inners with lyrics and nice 180g vinyl and download codes and maybe a leaflet/insert, so they are provided.

Artists wants half-speed mastering, fancy sleeves with foil blocking, spot gloss varnishes, good quality board for the sleeves, 180g vinyl etc. so they are provided.

Record companies provide all this to their artists and listen to the public.

It all adds up to the final cost.

[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 19:00]
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 19:11 - Feb 13 with 1410 viewsPunteR

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 18:56 - Feb 13 by Juzzie

‘Silly prices’ are driven by a number of factors.

Public wants printed inners with lyrics and nice 180g vinyl and download codes and maybe a leaflet/insert, so they are provided.

Artists wants half-speed mastering, fancy sleeves with foil blocking, spot gloss varnishes, good quality board for the sleeves, 180g vinyl etc. so they are provided.

Record companies provide all this to their artists and listen to the public.

It all adds up to the final cost.

[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 19:00]

Yeh id happily buy a new piece of music for £10 if i really loved the tune. Its more the scalpers on discogs i was refering too really.
Appreciate the process of making a record isnt very cost effective and can sometimes be an absolute ballache
I know Silky on here has had issues with a batch of records he had pressed and had to redo.
The pre order thing is what labels do now to make it more cost effective.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 20:42 - Feb 13 with 1358 viewssmegma

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 17:52 - Feb 13 by 100percent

I've got the full monty set up in the living room, deck, CDJ's and mixer with an input for Ipod type MP3 things.
I own a shed load of vinyl and masses of CDs. For me its more convenient from a space point of view and for quality of sound to play CDs. I know this will be sacrilege to the purists but I don't get this Vinyl fetish any longer - LPs are awkward, big and unless remastered, quality is not as good.
I'm not into this apple/spotify type thing - I like to own the album and play it when I want and have it as my property....
with saying that, my old punk collection doesn't sound any better on any format....

Vinyl is pony.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 20:42 - Feb 13 with 1359 viewswortonranger

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:22 - Feb 13 by Mick_S

South Harrow Market?

I used to love going to Sellandby. Got some good bargains as it goes - early copies of Stand Up and Abbey Road second hand. Also used to buy lucky bundles of 25 LP’s for a Fiver. You could only see the top ones. One or two are worth over £100 according to Discogs. Had loads of fun listening to the mostly obscure content. Was in a shop when I lived in the area, though it’s location moved.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 21:00 - Feb 13 with 1340 viewsJuzzie

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 19:11 - Feb 13 by PunteR

Yeh id happily buy a new piece of music for £10 if i really loved the tune. Its more the scalpers on discogs i was refering too really.
Appreciate the process of making a record isnt very cost effective and can sometimes be an absolute ballache
I know Silky on here has had issues with a batch of records he had pressed and had to redo.
The pre order thing is what labels do now to make it more cost effective.

Making LP’s is indeed a massive ballache! It’s ten times the work and hassle as doing a conventional CD in a jewelcase.

The biggest problem is there’s a whole generation of people who just don’t understand vinyl. We’re continually getting test pressings rejected that don’t need to be because people don’t know how to listen to them or realise that a slight pop is normal and acceptable. They’ve listened to digital all their life.
Then you have studios listening to them on thousands and thousands of pounds worth of equipment that’s completely un-representative of what the public has and they pick up the minutest of thing that a normal set up wouldn’t and they reject them. Not everyone has £14,000 speakers in their living room!
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 21:23 - Feb 13 with 1322 viewsCiderwithRsie

It's a trade-off between listening experience and convenience.

Vinyl is a lovely experience - you sit in the room with your hi fi, you put the record on and listen to it in the order the artist intended, you don't pause it, and 20 minutes later you change sides. Maybe you have a great album sleeve to look at. Lovely.

But if you want something on while you drive, or you want to skip about between tracks or artists, or to go in and out of the room, and you can't afford a great hi fi then digital gives you all that. It's all a bit Fast Food or Ready Meals instead of a proper meal but let's face it we all eat crap food more often than we cook a great meal.

CDs are a bit of a compromise which I like but I suspect that long-term they are going to be the format that's neither one thing or another.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 23:54 - Feb 13 with 1270 viewsMileEndR

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 21:23 - Feb 13 by CiderwithRsie

It's a trade-off between listening experience and convenience.

Vinyl is a lovely experience - you sit in the room with your hi fi, you put the record on and listen to it in the order the artist intended, you don't pause it, and 20 minutes later you change sides. Maybe you have a great album sleeve to look at. Lovely.

But if you want something on while you drive, or you want to skip about between tracks or artists, or to go in and out of the room, and you can't afford a great hi fi then digital gives you all that. It's all a bit Fast Food or Ready Meals instead of a proper meal but let's face it we all eat crap food more often than we cook a great meal.

CDs are a bit of a compromise which I like but I suspect that long-term they are going to be the format that's neither one thing or another.

Yeah get the sense CDs are massively unpopular nowadays thanks to first downloads then streaming taking over. The vinyl resurgence of the last few years is interesting though - seems to have sparked a lot of people's interest in a format which seemed dead and buried 10 years ago
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 08:01 - Feb 14 with 1217 viewsLimehouseR

You cannot beat the warm sound of vinyl.

I used to DJ in my late teens and early twenties and the best sound quality for UK Garage, House and Drum and Bass was vinyl. The feel of it too, the physicality of flipping through your record box to find the next winning track that will keep the mix going, bringing it down on to the Technic 1210 turntable.

Like people have said on here. Music gets devalued a lot more quickly in the age of downloads. Great for the gym and being and out and about of course but for home entertainment and in a club, vinyl is and always will be king for me. From a DJ perspective mixing digital downloads (and even CD's to an extent) together just feels like such a cheat!
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 10:56 - Feb 14 with 1167 viewssmegma

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 08:01 - Feb 14 by LimehouseR

You cannot beat the warm sound of vinyl.

I used to DJ in my late teens and early twenties and the best sound quality for UK Garage, House and Drum and Bass was vinyl. The feel of it too, the physicality of flipping through your record box to find the next winning track that will keep the mix going, bringing it down on to the Technic 1210 turntable.

Like people have said on here. Music gets devalued a lot more quickly in the age of downloads. Great for the gym and being and out and about of course but for home entertainment and in a club, vinyl is and always will be king for me. From a DJ perspective mixing digital downloads (and even CD's to an extent) together just feels like such a cheat!

You can't play vinyl in your car.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 10:59 - Feb 14 with 1162 viewsMaggsinho

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 10:56 - Feb 14 by smegma

You can't play vinyl in your car.

I - and George - beg to differ.

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 11:01 - Feb 14 with 1155 viewssmegma

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 10:59 - Feb 14 by Maggsinho

I - and George - beg to differ.

A great idea- not. Went the same way as 8 track. And Betamax videos.
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 13:50 - Feb 14 with 1107 viewsR_from_afar

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 17:52 - Feb 13 by 100percent

My set-up - in my living room - is very similar. It's six boxes in a rack plus the speakers (on metal stands). There is kit there which can play all the formats I own, i.e. LP, CD, tape (tape ). I don't have any MP3s but I can connect up my wife's iPod via a little plug lead; it does sound a bit tinny when played through my rig.

In some sort of ironic statement on the relentless march of technology, I have a record deck sitting on top of a Yamaha hard disk recorder.
The Yamaha unit is great for recording friends' CDs and also doubles as a decent CD player.

Back 7 or 8 years ago, my wife and I played an LP on my hi-fi so her rapt teenage nephew and niece could experience a record being played for the first time. Now the youth are all over "vinyls"....

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:06 - Feb 14 with 1089 viewsNorthantsHoop

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:22 - Feb 13 by Mick_S

South Harrow Market?

Northolt Road, if I remember correctly Sellanby moved from South Harrow market early 70s. Sure first shop was just outside the market and South Harrow tube station, then moved to larger premises a bit further down Northolt Road.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 14:07]
Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:14 - Feb 14 with 1075 viewsMick_S

Vinyl, cd, download or stream on 14:06 - Feb 14 by NorthantsHoop

Northolt Road, if I remember correctly Sellanby moved from South Harrow market early 70s. Sure first shop was just outside the market and South Harrow tube station, then moved to larger premises a bit further down Northolt Road.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 14:07]

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/137427/

Stumbled across this yesterday; not sure how old it is.

Anyway - Vinyl all the way for me. My son is borrowing a box of 45's for the weekend. I've counted them all!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024