Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill 08:45 - Feb 23 with 5256 viewsozranger

Looks to me that he is starting to really enjoy himself up front being the target for long balls, outmuscling defenders and giving them hell. According to the stats he conceded four fouls and didn't get a strike on goal, but he was a significant distraction to the defenders allowing more room for Eze and the others to do their work.

As much as I thought he would need a rest and Oteh should come in for a game or two, Hugill seems to enjoy game after game and it may actually be hard for Oteh to get much time on the pitch for the remainder of the season.

For me, it was hard to pick a standout man of the match. They all played well but I just liked the way Hugill affected the game in his part of the field.
Hugill on 01:44 - Feb 24 with 1359 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Hugill on 14:33 - Feb 23 by ozranger

I just find it amazing this, somewhat generalised, blinkered view of what a forward is supposed to do. We should take this within the context of Warbs style of play and it is here that I think that he is really enjoying himself.

If we are playing out from the back all the time as we did early in the season then the opponents will push on us all the time. This requires some alternate arrangements and that includes long balls from goal kicks. Name one player in our squad you would rather have at the end of those. Hugill did very well with almost all of these long balls yesterday and also in the previous few games. That is why I feel he has started to enjoy himself. He said it himself that he likes to put his body around and cause problems for defenders.

We can push out stats all day long, like how many times did he win a long ball? Where is that stat? Why do not we look at the previous two games as well when he was doing the same thing? Had Eze chosen to shoot with his left foot, after Hugill's header to him from yet another won long ball, to me the chance of a goal would have been well over 50% and yet Hugill does not get credit for that.

Yesterday, there were few chances for him. Only one I can remember when he should have pulled the trigger with a volley late in the second half but chose to bring it down and then lost it.

Yes, we can criticise him for his misses and hopefully he is working on that at training, but we cannot criticise him for his workrate defending from the front and trying to win the ball, hassle the opponents or create fouls against him. If you saw the game differently, fair enough, but from what I saw from the stands, he put in quite a shift while many others were tiring. If you're opinion of a striker is that he should score goals and that is the most important, and from what I can see from your comments, the only importance, then yes, he has played poorly and should not be considered to have played well but just so, so. If, on the other hand one thinks of a forward in the current Warbs' package to be a player who does everything and creates chances for others, then perhaps you may reconsider your opinion. That is where I am looking at it and where I think a few others are as well.

I find it amazing that you would accuse someone of holding a blinkered view, when your view is exactly that - blinkered. I recognise Hugill's work rate but that alone is insufficient to merit a MOTM award for a 50k-a-week PL striker who didn't manage a solitary strike on goal in 90+ minutes. If you (or anyone else for that matter) thinks he deserves that accolade simply because he's enjoying himself then you need to have a word with yourself.

Warbs style of play is attacking with lots of chances created. The downside is it leaves the team open hence the number of goals conceded. In this system you need forwards that take their chances to ensure your team outscores the opposition. As for creating chances for others, note that we are 34 games into the season and Hugill has yet to supply a single assist. Not one. Nada. Zilch.
Hugill on 02:14 - Feb 24 with 1345 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

1) Eze is only our top scorer in the league. He has 11. Hugill has 12
(in all competitions. Do his other goals not count?)

2) is is one of 22 player who have scored 10 or more. That still makes him 8th.

3) He has scored more than 1 in 3. Again, consider goals outside of the league.

4) Couldn't give a shit about that stat. We can't afford to bash a player who has scored a quarter of our goals with no replacement.

This is where we are at. Hugill or Oteh.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 14:03]

1) Big deal, he scored 2 goals in the FA Cup, a competition that QPR were quick to bin. Even if you take these goals into account, 12 is hardly a fantastic return for a PL striker that's dropped down to the championship.

2) Don't try to twist the list. He's 22nd, end of.

3) In the league he's scored 10 in 32. Again, hardly prolific, especially given the number of chances he's had. A better striker would have had at least 1 in 2 in this team.

4) Start giving a shit. With other strikers averaging 50-60% shots on target, 29% is piss poor and the main reason that Hugill doesn't score enough goals. In fact, it's the lowest on the entire list by a long straw. There isn't another forward on that list below 40%. Even the much derided Patrick Bamford gets 42% of his shots on target.

I recognise that Hugill is all we have at the moment but forgive me if I don't pretend that his form has been brilliant or award him the MOTM just because he controls a few long balls and looks like he's enjoying himself. If that's MW's only success criteria for a forward then there are dozens of players out there that he could recruit to do this job at a fraction of Hugill's cost. Given the current financial constraints, it's imperative that QPR get more than just a battering ram for 25k-a-week.
Hugill on 05:22 - Feb 24 with 1309 viewsnix

Hugill on 02:14 - Feb 24 by Benny_the_Ball

1) Big deal, he scored 2 goals in the FA Cup, a competition that QPR were quick to bin. Even if you take these goals into account, 12 is hardly a fantastic return for a PL striker that's dropped down to the championship.

3) In the league he's scored 10 in 32. Again, hardly prolific, especially given the number of chances he's had. A better striker would have had at least 1 in 2 in this team.

4) Start giving a shit. With other strikers averaging 50-60% shots on target, 29% is piss poor and the main reason that Hugill doesn't score enough goals. In fact, it's the lowest on the entire list by a long straw. There isn't another forward on that list below 40%. Even the much derided Patrick Bamford gets 42% of his shots on target.

I recognise that Hugill is all we have at the moment but forgive me if I don't pretend that his form has been brilliant or award him the MOTM just because he controls a few long balls and looks like he's enjoying himself. If that's MW's only success criteria for a forward then there are dozens of players out there that he could recruit to do this job at a fraction of Hugill's cost. Given the current financial constraints, it's imperative that QPR get more than just a battering ram for 25k-a-week.

Obviously needing something else to vent your spleen on because we've just had two decent away draws against Forest and Swansea and a thumping win against Stoke. Funny how we hardly heard from you after those matches...

Anyway no one's saying he's the best striker we've ever seen. No one.

And we all realise he should score a few more than he does. But I can also see he makes great runs and gets in the right position to score more than many other strikers we've had, so he makes more chances through that than someone like Washington, who was invariably in the wrong place.

But, anyway, to slag him off when only Austin (who only came to us because Hull binned him at the last minute), Wells, (who also played for us and only scored seven in the league last season), and Taarabt (we wouldn't get a player like him on loan, or at all, in this market) have scored appreciably more for us in the league in the last ten seasons seems mean-spirited and contrary.

And if you think attitude isn't important (looks like he's enjoying himself) then you've never seen Wright Phillips, Assou Ekoto, Bosingwa, Hoilett, Traore or Barton play football then or stink out a dressing room.

I'd love to know who we could get on loan for 50p and a couple of spangles from the Premiership who would have done better for us and want to come here. Did you see Mlakar play? We needed someone with experience as we've got a young forward line. So who would you find who'd do better in the Championship and isn't playing for their first team?

Other similar players we've had who hold the ball up include Zamora, who scored three, four and four league goals for us; Hemed, who scored seven, and Smith, who scored four and eleven.

The season isn't over yet and if he can keep up his current rate of scoring, he'll get four more goals, more than Helguson in the Championship winning team.
Hugill on 07:05 - Feb 24 with 1279 viewsWatford_Ranger

Credit to Warburton as he looked like the classic loanee seeing out time at Swansea. When he’s at it he’s a great foil for Eze and Bright.
Hugill on 07:59 - Feb 24 with 1234 viewsShotKneesHoop

Hugill on 05:22 - Feb 24 by nix

Obviously needing something else to vent your spleen on because we've just had two decent away draws against Forest and Swansea and a thumping win against Stoke. Funny how we hardly heard from you after those matches...

And we all realise he should score a few more than he does. But I can also see he makes great runs and gets in the right position to score more than many other strikers we've had, so he makes more chances through that than someone like Washington, who was invariably in the wrong place.

But, anyway, to slag him off when only Austin (who only came to us because Hull binned him at the last minute), Wells, (who also played for us and only scored seven in the league last season), and Taarabt (we wouldn't get a player like him on loan, or at all, in this market) have scored appreciably more for us in the league in the last ten seasons seems mean-spirited and contrary.

And if you think attitude isn't important (looks like he's enjoying himself) then you've never seen Wright Phillips, Assou Ekoto, Bosingwa, Hoilett, Traore or Barton play football then or stink out a dressing room.

I'd love to know who we could get on loan for 50p and a couple of spangles from the Premiership who would have done better for us and want to come here. Did you see Mlakar play? We needed someone with experience as we've got a young forward line. So who would you find who'd do better in the Championship and isn't playing for their first team?

Other similar players we've had who hold the ball up include Zamora, who scored three, four and four league goals for us; Hemed, who scored seven, and Smith, who scored four and eleven.

The season isn't over yet and if he can keep up his current rate of scoring, he'll get four more goals, more than Helguson in the Championship winning team.

Excellent post - good points made especially the toxic stink in the dressing room of others named who felt they were too good for us.

I'd almost forgotten just how can't be arsed most of them were too.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Hugill on 10:56 - Feb 24 with 1140 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I genuinely feel sorry for you mate. With your impeccable standards, watching QPR for the last 30 years must have been joyless torture for you.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 10:56]
Hugill on 11:00 - Feb 24 with 1128 viewsloftboy

How many more times, if he scored the goals you want him to be wouldn’t be here.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hugill on 11:30 - Feb 24 with 1092 viewsLongsufferingR

Hugill on 05:22 - Feb 24 by nix

Mmmm....Spangles
Login to get fewer ads

Hugill on 12:00 - Feb 24 with 1044 viewsLblock

I'm on record on my appreciation for Hugill - he's exactly what we need and have needed for a number of seasons.
My only disappointment was we couldn't find a way to crowbar him and Nahki into the same starting line up but I appreciate reasons for that.

We'll really miss Hughz when he's gone and there's every chance we'll be playing against him at The Tax Payers Stadium next season. What he lacks in pace and clinical finishing he makes up for in decent goal return and all round shithousery which is a vital blend needed at this level.

His "sprint" to a ball in about the 80th minute on Saturday by the cornerflag in front of the away end gave me a wry smile...... it was in slow motion but summed up how he's game as a bagel and committed.

Hope he bags a good few more for us and then can get the flip flops on and share duties with Oteh as the sun rises on this season.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 24 with 947 viewsPinnerPaul

Hugill on 18:47 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

MW has said a few times recently how he intends to use the squad for the rest of the season, so I'd certainly expect Oteh to get a start or two soon. It's the only way we'll find out if he's good enough.

He also said it was huge step up from League 2 to Championship and that he couldn't be compared to JH.
Hugill on 14:17 - Feb 24 with 913 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hugill on 07:59 - Feb 24 by ShotKneesHoop

Excellent post - good points made especially the toxic stink in the dressing room of others named who felt they were too good for us.

I'd almost forgotten just how can't be arsed most of them were too.

Seconded. Nix is quite right that players like Barton weren't just poor for us in their own performances, they must have made more decent players think it wasn't worth making an effort and probably dragged down their performances too.
Hugill on 14:29 - Feb 24 with 899 viewsLongsufferingR

Hugill on 14:01 - Feb 24 by PinnerPaul

He also said it was huge step up from League 2 to Championship and that he couldn't be compared to JH.

Who's comparing him to anybody? Once we're safe, it's the perfect time to give him a run out and we can see how he does. If he does well, that's great. If not, they can continue with the loan route for him.
Hugill on 14:50 - Feb 24 with 854 viewsCaptainPugwash

Hugill on 11:30 - Feb 24 by LongsufferingR

Mmmm....Spangles

Narrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
It be a sad day wen they replace toffee wi a Spangle o' Sherbet Dib Dab.
Hugill on 15:10 - Feb 24 with 826 viewskensalriser

I think I've identified the problem here:

'50k-a-week PL striker'

I have no idea what he earns and I doubt anyone else here does either, but he's certainly not a Premier League striker - in a 6 year pro career he's played a grand total of 22 mins in the PL.

Start with a false premise and it's not surprising if everything that follows is nonsense.

His strike rate with us is the best in his career, by the way.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hugill on 15:19 - Feb 24 with 821 viewsderbyhoop

Most people realise that we've barely got a pot to P*** in and that Hugill is the best we could afford. No signing is going to be perfect, no matter what club. Washington and Mlaker didn't work out. We couldn't afford to keep Wells, who almost everyone agrees, is a better goalscorer than JH. Polter did OK but went back to Germany. Oteh probably isn't going to be good enough.

I just hope our scouts have been scouring L1 and L2 plus Scotland and European leagues to try and find us somebody we can afford, improve and score goals. I'm far from convinced that we can find all 3 qualities without resorting to another loan next season. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hugill on 15:39 - Feb 24 with 808 viewskarl

Hugill on 15:19 - Feb 24 by derbyhoop

Most people realise that we've barely got a pot to P*** in and that Hugill is the best we could afford. No signing is going to be perfect, no matter what club. Washington and Mlaker didn't work out. We couldn't afford to keep Wells, who almost everyone agrees, is a better goalscorer than JH. Polter did OK but went back to Germany. Oteh probably isn't going to be good enough.

I just hope our scouts have been scouring L1 and L2 plus Scotland and European leagues to try and find us somebody we can afford, improve and score goals. I'm far from convinced that we can find all 3 qualities without resorting to another loan next season. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Lyndon Dykes at Livingston and Kevin Nisbet at Dunfermline are probably the next obvious after Shankland in Scotland.
Hibs had an offer of £300-400k turned down for Nisbet but he'll probably be under £1m and low wages.
Dykes is a good athlete and powerful, I think he could transition to the Championship pretty well but how many goals would he score will be the problem. Think he would be best value but concern will be if he gets offered Australia cap and takes it as it takes out a fair chunk of time for a Championship player, is dual qualified for Scotland too so there is potential he gets that option
Hugill on 17:14 - Feb 24 with 754 viewsMatch82

Hugill on 15:14 - Feb 23 by TacticalR

I would like him to score more and we need him to score more now that Wells has gone.

On the positive side:

1) last season he only got 6 goals in 37 games for Middlesbrough, so he's not one of those players who was great for everybody else and a dud for us (quite the opposite in fact).

2) last week he turned the tide when we were 0-2 down against Stoke.

Fun fact: Braithwaite scored 8 goals in 36 games for Boro and now he's playing for Barcelona. Ergo: Hugill is almost good enough for Barcelona.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024