Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to 10:51 - Mar 26 with 6041 viewsozranger

Since we have a thread on non-football teams, why not one on non-football grounds.

The only real grounds in the UK I have been to are the two Headingley grounds - cricket and RL/RU - both very good.

The mention of old Fenway where I saw the Evil Empire lose in '13 is one got me thinking and certainly there are a number of old MLB grounds. Wrigley is my favourite. Of minor league grounds, Durham Athletic Park, the ground at Pittsfield, MA, the old War Memorial Ground in Greensboro, NC and Yale Field, CN.

But watching the cricket on the hill at the SCG - now that was the best. Also in Sydney, the old North Sydney Oval (concrete park) with its iconic fig tree although they did, amongst a slew of sports, play football there. Mind you they also played Rockley (a version of women's cricket) between the 1890s and 1910.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 15:33 - Mar 27 with 1368 viewsNorthernr

I used to love the Boulevard in Hull. Fck me that place was absolutely vicious.

Went to St George’s home ground in Wollongong a couple of years back which us three sides not dissimilar to Loftus Road and then a grass bank and the ocean where Ellerslie Road should be. Pretty special under the lights.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 16:36 - Mar 27 with 1333 viewsjoe90

I went to the MCG once to watch some Aussie Rules, very impressive stadium. Would love to watch cricket there.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:05 - Mar 27 with 1322 viewsMrSheen

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 15:33 - Mar 27 by Northernr

I used to love the Boulevard in Hull. Fck me that place was absolutely vicious.

Went to St George’s home ground in Wollongong a couple of years back which us three sides not dissimilar to Loftus Road and then a grass bank and the ocean where Ellerslie Road should be. Pretty special under the lights.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I guess you’ve been to Odsal, Clive. Never had the pleasure myself. It looked (ahem!) basic.

I got raging sunburn on the top of my head on the hill at Kogarah Oval in the depths of the Sydney winter once.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:06 - Mar 27 with 1322 viewssevenhoop

without a doubt, Lambeau Field, home of Green Bay. Amazing old ground that has been modernised with so many new concourse facilities but, inside, probably mostly as it ever was. Iconic and goosebumps just to be there.

For different reasons, Notre Dame, old and ramshackle, but it has such history, and stands out in probably the biggest shithole town I have ever been to, South Bend, Indiana.

Loved Fenway too.

Of the new ones, I much preferred US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis to Mercedes Benz in Atlanta, though the latter has the most amazing big screens you'll ever see.

Cricket: Edgbaston, for the atmosphere
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:17 - Mar 27 with 1313 viewsted_hendrix

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:05 - Mar 27 by MrSheen

I guess you’ve been to Odsal, Clive. Never had the pleasure myself. It looked (ahem!) basic.

I got raging sunburn on the top of my head on the hill at Kogarah Oval in the depths of the Sydney winter once.

I took my lads to the Odsal Stadium Bradford 1985 to see the World Speedway final, yep it was basic, over 30,000 there that day.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:20 - Mar 27 with 1310 viewshubble

I really like the Oval. It's a fantastic place to watch cricket, especially county cricket, when you've got virtually the whole stadium to yourself. And its iconic central London location with the gasometers and the council estate just add to it. Lords, on the other hand, I find a bit pompous.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:22 - Mar 27 with 1306 viewsNorthernr

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:05 - Mar 27 by MrSheen

Love hate relationship. Loved the bowl and the terrace and the curry house my family used to get stuck into afterwards.

Hate the area it’s in, the facilities, the fcking wind, and watching that massive Bulls team dick on us.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:30 - Mar 27 with 1291 viewsstowmarketrange

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 16:36 - Mar 27 by joe90

I went to the MCG once to watch some Aussie Rules, very impressive stadium. Would love to watch cricket there.

I went to the mcg for all 5 days of the ashes test in 2017.Great ground when it’s full for the 1st day,but it was a real case of your grounds too big for you as the days wore on.Especially as England were getting on top later in the test.
I did the stadium tour beforehand and that was impressive too,but I preferred the WACA as it was a cricket ground rather than an Aussie rules stadium.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:53 - Mar 27 with 1259 viewsM40R

Got to be Newlands Cricket Ground in Cape Town. Watching from a grassy, shaded bank cricket with a brewery and grand mountain in the background. Also, not too big. Shame the beer is crap.

https://barmytravel.com/sites/barmytravel.com/files/styles/event-hero/public/unt
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 22:46 - Mar 27 with 1229 viewsMrSheen

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:20 - Mar 27 by hubble

I really like the Oval. It's a fantastic place to watch cricket, especially county cricket, when you've got virtually the whole stadium to yourself. And its iconic central London location with the gasometers and the council estate just add to it. Lords, on the other hand, I find a bit pompous.

Yes, but Lord’s has Middlesex playing in it, the Oval has Surrey.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 07:18 - Mar 28 with 1184 viewswombleR

Semple stadium for a Munster final is hard to beat.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 10:50 - Mar 28 with 1134 viewsNewYorkRanger

United Center for Chicago Blackhawks game - amazing atmosphere, especially Pre game when they play the national anthem

Glory hunter, me

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 12:12 - Mar 28 with 1115 viewsIrishPatMan

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 10:50 - Mar 28 by NewYorkRanger

United Center for Chicago Blackhawks game - amazing atmosphere, especially Pre game when they play the national anthem

Cant believe the amount of likes for Twickenham - tis the worst of the 6 Natiions stadiums

Millenium/Principality probably the best
Lansdowne/Aviva is OK
Murrayfield can be so cold
Stade de France - was there for a Heineken Cup final with 2 French teams, soulless
Stadio Flaminio - a real experience

Franklins Gardens
AJ Bell (Sale Sharks)
Allianz Park
Stoop
Ricoh Arena - for rugby, totally different atmosphere from football
Rodney Parade - as above
Liberty Stadium - as above
Cardiff City Stadium - as above
Cardiff Arms Park
Scotstoun
Parc y Scalets
RDS
Sportsground/ Galway

Pairc Ui Chaoimh (old)
Pairc Ui Rinn

Musgrave Park
Thomond

Croke Park - All Ireland Final still on the bucket list, but QF / SF and rugby(!!) done
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 13:39 - Mar 28 with 1087 viewsBoston

Dunoon Stadium...fck me when all those pipe bands get going it's a very moving experience.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 13:52 - Mar 28 with 1078 viewsNorthernr

Left field suggestion - the crucible. Later stages, one table set up, night sessions. Can be electric in there.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 14:00 - Mar 28 with 1074 viewsqprxtc

Shea Stadium. My cousins are all Mets fans and I think it’s the only non football stadium I’ve ever been in.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 18:37 - Mar 28 with 1043 viewsMrSheen

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 12:12 - Mar 28 by IrishPatMan

Cant believe the amount of likes for Twickenham - tis the worst of the 6 Natiions stadiums

Millenium/Principality probably the best
Lansdowne/Aviva is OK
Murrayfield can be so cold
Stade de France - was there for a Heineken Cup final with 2 French teams, soulless
Stadio Flaminio - a real experience

Franklins Gardens
AJ Bell (Sale Sharks)
Allianz Park
Stoop
Ricoh Arena - for rugby, totally different atmosphere from football
Rodney Parade - as above
Liberty Stadium - as above
Cardiff City Stadium - as above
Cardiff Arms Park
Scotstoun
Parc y Scalets
RDS
Sportsground/ Galway

Pairc Ui Chaoimh (old)
Pairc Ui Rinn

Musgrave Park
Thomond

Croke Park - All Ireland Final still on the bucket list, but QF / SF and rugby(!!) done

Cheese?
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:04 - Mar 28 with 1035 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 07:18 - Mar 28 by wombleR

I'm not mad about the stadium, Womble, but being in the square pre-match is joyous and the walk up to the ground is brilliant.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 04:32 - Mar 29 with 976 viewsKiwi76

A couple from Melbourne.
Was at MCG Boxing Day after 35yr wait - we won the first over & 20,000+ Kiwis there. Switching to low strength lager in the PM not so great.
Rod Laver for tennis open also great - saw a Djokovic v Warenka match that lasted about 5hrs till 2-3am where both were dead on their feet but still playing amazing tennis.
Great city for sport & easy walk along the river to stadiums.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 13:14 - Mar 29 with 934 viewsThe_Beast1976

All fantastic grounds (in no particular order)

Newlands Cricket Ground, Cape Town (Played in a T20 for the Barmy Army there on a strip next to the Test Match strip the day after the Test Match finished in January just gone)
Hagley Oval, Christchurch
Basin Reserve, Wellington
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Eden Gardens, Kolkata
Queen's Park Oval, Trinidad
Kensington Oval, Barbados
Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Melbourne (a great ground in a strange sort of way)
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 13:29]
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 08:29 - Mar 30 with 885 viewshubble

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 22:46 - Mar 27 by MrSheen

Yes, but Lord’s has Middlesex playing in it, the Oval has Surrey.

Precisely. It's not pompous. I prefer Surrey.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 10:15 - Mar 30 with 866 viewsGroveR

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 07:18 - Mar 28 by wombleR

This. Luimneach Abú!
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 13:13 - Mar 30 with 834 viewsBlackCrowe

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 20:48 - Mar 26 by Esox_Lucius

Lords.

Lords, Centre Court, Twickenham but most of all Lords.

Others: Gleneagles, Fenway Park, Estadio Monumental BA, Olympic Park Rome.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 09:50 - Apr 2 with 755 viewsrobith

Have been to Croker twice, once for Ireland Italy in the 6 Nations and once for Dublin Tyrone in the football. It's a truly astonishing spectacle, even down from the way it peeks out from between the houses as you approach. Not to go all blood and soil, but you can really *feel* the history of the place.

No drinking in the stands though which is a real shame

NB I have been trying to post this reply for like 4 days. Legit thought I'd finally been banned
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 10:04 - Apr 2 with 749 viewsrobith

And yeah astonished by the love for Twickenham. It's an enormous pain to get to, worse to get back from, can't get a drink without sacrificing 20 minutes of play, and I've been to funerals with better atmosphere.

The Millennium however, bloody hell. City centre location just adds to it.

Murrayfield is the coldest place on Earth.

I miss the old Lansdowne Road. New one is impressive, but too many day trippers and corporates there for a piss up. Old one always had a guaranteed atmosphere cos people had to get there 3 hours before hand for a spot on the terrace.

Stade de France is a bit rubbish *but* it is astonishingly easy to get to and from, and I rate that

Stadio Olynpico remains on the bucket list
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024