Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in 11:44 - Apr 9 with 7412 viewsrobith

A trend I noticed in the best gig/worst gig a lot of people seen some big bands in small spaces, and I thought a nice brag thread was in order.

Maybe we could even work out a ratio like record sales divided by capacity!

Saw Arctic Monkeys in the cluny in Newcastle. They weren't even the headline act (MIlburn were LOLOLOLOL)

Saw Coldpay at ULU. Couldn't have imagined the scale they'd reach

Not terribly small, but I saw blur at their Astoria residency in 2003. Being in the front couple of rows it felt insane to see a band of that size in that venue

Saw Arcade Fire at a church in Westminster. It was rubbish. I was gutted
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:20 - Apr 9 with 4342 viewsqpr_1968

saw hawkwind strumming a free gig one Saturday under the flyover at aclam road, Portobello.....1973ish.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:42 - Apr 9 with 4321 viewsBlackCrowe

As mentioned on other thread, the Stones at the Astoria 2003. capacity can't have been much more than 1,000 was upfront too.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:47 - Apr 9 with 4315 viewspeejaybee

Was born in Aclam Road , The side now under the Westway.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:56 - Apr 9 with 4300 viewsloftboy

Saw keane last year at the Hard Rock Cafe in Piccadilly. It was the opening night and only aces hundred there, my Mrs won tickets off absolute radio.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:58 - Apr 9 with 4300 viewsWrightUp5hit___

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 12:20 - Apr 9 by qpr_1968

saw hawkwind strumming a free gig one Saturday under the flyover at aclam road, Portobello.....1973ish.

Snap

Also saw The Who on their tour warmup at Shepherds Bush Empire in 1999.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 13:32 - Apr 9 with 4264 viewsRangersDave

Saw Muse 2 years ago play an charity gig at the S.E.B., max crowd, the balcony rocked to a heck of an extreme i thought they would collapse. Huge gig in an intimate location.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 13:40 - Apr 9 with 4261 viewsR_from_afar

I can't claim to have attended it, sadly, but John Otway ran a competition for which the prize was him playing live in the winner's living room.

Not that they are / were a particularly big band (Metallica, wanna step in here?) but I saw Wrathchild play live in the same Newbury gym that I played badminton in. Note: No badminton took place while those glam rockers were strutting their stuff...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:01 - Apr 9 with 4246 viewsMrSheen

I saw New Order playing in a place called Jenkinson's Bar in Brighton in 1981, but I can barely remember the show let alone the size of the venue. I saw The Cure at the old Marquee Club a couple of times, back when people still gobbed on them.
Login to get fewer ads

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:23 - Apr 9 with 4229 viewsderbyhoop

While still at school, I saw Free at the Farx club in Southall. It was basically the back room of a pub. Alright Now had just been released and there must have been about 400 people in there. Couldn't move and the only thing keeping us cool was the sweat dripping off the ceiling. My chest stopped pounding about 2 days after the event.

Also saw British Sea Power downstairs at the Academy in Dublin, when I was working there. Wasn't overcrowded, but they had a mascot of a 7' high polar bear. The ceilings were about 6'3".

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:26 - Apr 9 with 4225 viewscharmr

U2 at Hemel Hempstead pavilion

Pre lighters being waved around, strewth
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:35 - Apr 9 with 4217 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Saw Chaz and Dave in The Horns in Watford.

Was very over capacity.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:40 - Apr 9 with 4216 viewsBklynRanger

Saw The National opening for Clinic at the Warsaw in Brooklyn about 15 years ago. There's a lyric in Born to Beg that may be about that set of gigs.

Easiest way to cheat on this one I suppose is to see someone on the 'quieter' side of their career. Saw Teenage Fanclub last year at the 02 Institute in Birmingham. It sounded appropriately sized to me on paper, as a fan, but I didn't realise it's all split into rooms. The Fannies' room held 200 people max. Weezer had the bigger room upstairs (what an outrage, rolls eyes etc).
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:59 - Apr 9 with 4196 viewsKonk

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 14:40 - Apr 9 by BklynRanger

Saw The National opening for Clinic at the Warsaw in Brooklyn about 15 years ago. There's a lyric in Born to Beg that may be about that set of gigs.

Easiest way to cheat on this one I suppose is to see someone on the 'quieter' side of their career. Saw Teenage Fanclub last year at the 02 Institute in Birmingham. It sounded appropriately sized to me on paper, as a fan, but I didn't realise it's all split into rooms. The Fannies' room held 200 people max. Weezer had the bigger room upstairs (what an outrage, rolls eyes etc).

I saw Oasis at The Venue in New Cross and Elvis Presley at a Pontins holiday camp on the Isle of Wight, when I was about seven. I think he opened for the comedian Mick Miller.

Stayed in a sh it pub round the corner rather than joining mates to see Radiohead at the Horn of Plenty pub in St Albans, which I regret, and couldn’t be bothered to go downstairs to see Blur playing in the basement at the Dome in Tufnell Park. Which I’m quite relaxed about.

My wife saw most of Artic Monkeys first gigs as she was living in Sheffield and her best mate worked with Andy, the bass player.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 15:06 - Apr 9 with 4193 viewsBAWHoops

Saw Biffy Clyro at Webster Hall in New York.

They were selling out arenas in YK, but due to a gig clash had been shunted to a 500 person capacity room.

People were literally hanging off the ceiling, was madness. Best gig I've ever been to

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 15:51 - Apr 9 with 4153 viewsngbqpr

U2 at a half full Marquee - as a support band to...The Photos (anyone remember them? “UK’s answer to Blondie” for a couple of minutes).

Then at slightly bigger venues but still as support acts:

U2 @ Lyceum (Bunnymen / Teardrops)

Depeche Mode @ Hammy Palais (supporting Psychedelic Furs)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 16:17 - Apr 9 with 4134 viewsqueensparker

Saw Oasis in the The Duchess of York in Leeds, which was basically a tiny pub (but a great venue, saw loads of bands there). Was half empty too.

Also saw The Inspiral Carpets in a pub in Sydney early 90s, it was a brilliant gig. Full of Japanese girls for some reason.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 16:44 - Apr 9 with 4094 viewsTW_R

I've got a few.

Reef - Tunbridge Wells Forum - 250 capacity I think
Guns & Roses - Old Marquee, Wardour Street
Aerosmith, Motley Crue (as the Four Skins), The Black Crowes - Marquee Charing X Road
Pearl Jam - ULU
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 16:51 - Apr 9 with 4087 viewsStanisgod

The Police- In a marquee on Tooting Common
Quo at Grays Civic Hall just as Piledriver hit, about 200 max.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 17:24 - Apr 9 with 4062 viewsjohnhoop

Pink Floyd in a lecture theatre at Essex Univ in 1970.
Dire Straits supporting Talking Heads (or it might have been the other way round) in a small hall at Leicester Univ in 1978.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 17:33 - Apr 9 with 4050 viewsPaddyhoops

I remember see blur in the powerhouse in Angelback in the late nineties . They were playing back up to Desmond decker. Think it was a fiver entrance fee.
Flimsy plastic pints were the order of the day, lots of them.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 17:41 - Apr 9 with 4042 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at the Apollo Theater in NY 8 years ago and it was like sitting beside the tracks with a train blasting through .Incredible
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 18:58 - Apr 9 with 3999 viewsQPRSteve

As I posted elsewhere, I saw Clannad in the foyer of Wandsworth Town Hall.

Dick Gaughan in a room above a pub in Islington - more like a corridor than a room.

The Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road was great for seeing uo and coming bands. I saw the Stranglers, Supertramp, the Bangles (behind closed doors) and Matching Mole (Robert Wyatt) to name a few,
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 19:20 - Apr 9 with 3976 viewsToast_R

Joe Pug in some pub's back room in Camden. Was very good.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 19:31 - Apr 9 with 3966 viewsHunterhoop

Saw Jungle in Aus in a bar of about 300 max. That was cool.

Saw Franz Ferdinand around the release of the first album at The Astoria. That felt small given all the hype at the time.

Saw Goat in a barn in Christianna in Copenhagen. Probably 500 in there, mind, but again, felt small.

Saw Tom Grennan at a small venue in Brighton a good 6-9 months before he released his first album. We didn’t even know who he was at the time, just down for the weekend so bought tickets on an exchange site on a whim. There were teenagers in their talking about their GSCEs. Never felt so old!

None of those are really that big though! Sorry.

The one I missed was seeing Kasabian in 2004 at Fibbers in York (capacity at the time was 150 I think) around the time of the release of the first person. Queued up from 6am and the bloke in front of me got the last ticket. Gutted.
The Smallest Space You've Seen the Biggest Band in on 20:02 - Apr 9 with 3937 viewscollegeranger

The Who at Pryzm in Kingston about 6 weeks ago - acoustic set! Seen Foals in there too and Elbow in the last year! But a CD get a free gig - its the way they rig the charts!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024