Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ultimate team — Column 17:35 - Apr 10 with 3176 viewsNorthernr

Thanks to Norfolt for this one. Feel free to let rip, we've got nothing else to do...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52262
Ultimate team — Column on 18:21 - Apr 10 with 2392 viewsterryb

Thanks Mel.

Some surprises in that eleven, but who are any of us to disagree?
Ultimate team — Column on 18:22 - Apr 10 with 2386 viewsloftboy

Would have had Bannister in there purely for a certain two hat tricks against the scum, not sure who Mel would have left out though!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Ultimate team — Column on 18:46 - Apr 10 with 2359 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ultimate team — Column on 18:22 - Apr 10 by loftboy

Would have had Bannister in there purely for a certain two hat tricks against the scum, not sure who Mel would have left out though!

Boris Johnson's had less dilemmas to deal with than I had selecting these.
Ultimate team — Column on 19:01 - Apr 10 with 2331 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That was really interesting and thought-provoking, Mel.

The only one I might quibble with would be Faurlin. As great as he was - and I have him in my team of my lifetime, Faurlin had less impact because of his injuries than he would have had otherwise. Wilkins was imperious for us over five years, shaped the culture of our club, brought existing players to new levels and young players to rarified heights. He, as much as Howe or Francis, led us to one of the greatest eras in our history.

I'd give him the shout. And he'd be captain.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ultimate team — Column on 19:06 - Apr 10 with 2320 viewsNorthernr

Ultimate team — Column on 19:01 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

That was really interesting and thought-provoking, Mel.

The only one I might quibble with would be Faurlin. As great as he was - and I have him in my team of my lifetime, Faurlin had less impact because of his injuries than he would have had otherwise. Wilkins was imperious for us over five years, shaped the culture of our club, brought existing players to new levels and young players to rarified heights. He, as much as Howe or Francis, led us to one of the greatest eras in our history.

I'd give him the shout. And he'd be captain.

Yeh love Faurlin and love Mel, but Wilkins all the way.
Ultimate team — Column on 19:09 - Apr 10 with 2318 viewsnix

Thanks for this Mel. It's refreshing to hear about some of the less well known ex-QPR players, at least to me.

I'd have to agree with Brian that Wilkins would have to be shoehorned in the team for me. I just loved watching him play.

One other thing: surely you were joking about Mark Hughes as manager? Yes, you must be, that would be likely nominating Hately or Dowie as our best strikers. Just no.
Ultimate team — Column on 20:00 - Apr 10 with 2253 viewsstevec

Nice choice in Lintott though, to be fair, never seen him play.

Got me thinking are there any positions where we haven’t provided an England international?
Centre forward possibly (assuming Stan’s a no. 10, Italy withstanding).
Ultimate team — Column on 20:20 - Apr 10 with 2227 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ultimate team — Column on 20:00 - Apr 10 by stevec

Got me thinking are there any positions where we haven’t provided an England international?

Les and Rodney.
Login to get fewer ads

Ultimate team — Column on 20:20 - Apr 10 with 2228 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ultimate team — Column on 20:00 - Apr 10 by stevec

Les covers that position, Steve.

Ultimate team — Column on 20:22 - Apr 10 with 2218 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ultimate team — Column on 20:20 - Apr 10 by SonofNorfolt

Les and Rodney.

Good call on Rodney.

Ultimate team — Column on 21:00 - Apr 10 with 2142 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just refreshed my memory by looking up Evelyn Lintott and it seems he only played 32 games for us between 1907 and 1908 and played for England seven times between 1908 and 1909.

I appreciate the significance of him being our first International player (or English International, certainly) but 32 appearances in one or two seasons, I think, would put him below many other worthy candidates in my view.

Ultimate team — Column on 21:18 - Apr 10 with 2121 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ultimate team — Column on 21:00 - Apr 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Just refreshed my memory by looking up Evelyn Lintott and it seems he only played 32 games for us between 1907 and 1908 and played for England seven times between 1908 and 1909.

I appreciate the significance of him being our first International player (or English International, certainly) but 32 appearances in one or two seasons, I think, would put him below many other worthy candidates in my view.

Sorry Brian but he may well have stayed for longer if Rangers weren't stiffed by the Football League and elected in 1908.
Not just dying on the Somme but being the first footballer to be commissioned during the war.
I couldn't ignore sixty years of history.
Ultimate team — Column on 21:25 - Apr 10 with 2110 viewsAddinall

Not many of us who can remember Reg Allen these days but I can assure everyone that he fully deserves to be included among the Ranger's greats. Was worthy of an England cap which sadly never came his way. My first Ranger's hero.
Ultimate team — Column on 21:28 - Apr 10 with 2107 viewsWatfordR

Well I've limited my team to who I've seen play, so in particular, no Rodney for me

1. Phil Parkes
2. Dave Clement
3. Clive Wilson (scoring the goal that put Liverpool to bed at Anfield clinched it!)
4. Paul Parker
5. Macca
6. Ray Wilkins
7. Dave Thomas
8. Gerry Francis
9 Les
10. Stan
11. Andy Impey

I admit I was a little surprised that Mel had overlooked Jamie Mackie
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:30]
Ultimate team — Column on 21:28 - Apr 10 with 2103 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ultimate team — Column on 21:25 - Apr 10 by Addinall

Not many of us who can remember Reg Allen these days but I can assure everyone that he fully deserves to be included among the Ranger's greats. Was worthy of an England cap which sadly never came his way. My first Ranger's hero.

By all accounts Bert Addinall wasn't bad either. My uncle used to say' Addinall 'ad 'em all.'
Ultimate team — Column on 21:36 - Apr 10 with 2086 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ultimate team — Column on 21:18 - Apr 10 by SonofNorfolt

Sorry Brian but he may well have stayed for longer if Rangers weren't stiffed by the Football League and elected in 1908.
Not just dying on the Somme but being the first footballer to be commissioned during the war.
I couldn't ignore sixty years of history.

Fair point about him leaving in 1908 due to us being done by the League, I'd forgotten that.

I personally wouldn't factor military matters into judgement about who our best eleven players were, though. It shouldn't be a factor.

And after his one season with us he seems to have played for Bradford in the first division for four years, finishing fifth once and winning the FA Cup in 2011. At the age of 28 he dropped down a division to Leeds City and at 29, in 1913, his records disappear.

He must have played somewhere after that.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 21:52]

Ultimate team — Column on 21:48 - Apr 10 with 2065 viewsqpr_1968

very good analysis, and wouldn't knock any of that team.....even though mine would be different...not by much though.
it just goes to prove that it is double hard to pick the top eleven from over 100 years.
we all have different views for whatever reasons.

we are all experts...not managers.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Ultimate team — Column on 22:42 - Apr 10 with 1994 viewsqprxtc

No David f ucking Bardsley?

This pub is shut.

Mel. Geeeeet ahhhht.
Ultimate team — Column on 23:20 - Apr 10 with 1944 viewsstevec

Ultimate team — Column on 20:20 - Apr 10 by SonofNorfolt

Les and Rodney.

Sorry, must be sunstroke.
Ultimate team — Column on 23:42 - Apr 10 with 1920 viewsSonofNorfolt

Ultimate team — Column on 22:42 - Apr 10 by qprxtc

No David f ucking Bardsley?

This pub is shut.

Mel. Geeeeet ahhhht.

Andy Partridge played for Swindon Town.
I suppose I could have included Don Rogers.
Ultimate team — Column on 10:38 - Apr 11 with 1647 viewsAddinall

Ultimate team — Column on 21:28 - Apr 10 by SonofNorfolt

By all accounts Bert Addinall wasn't bad either. My uncle used to say' Addinall 'ad 'em all.'

Your uncle was right. 110 percent at all times. Remember seeing him give the great John Charles one hell of a game from my position in the boys' enclosure behind the goal at the Loftus road end.
Ultimate team — Column on 11:53 - Apr 11 with 1592 viewsSonofNorfolt

Wilkins blotted his copybook with me/us by getting us relegated and picking himself too much.
Faurlin pre-injury won the fifty fiftys better than Ray too.
I don't have to explain myself but I'm trying. Very.
Ultimate team — Column on 12:14 - Apr 11 with 1583 viewsMickS_

Nice one Mel.
Ultimate team — Column on 15:36 - Apr 11 with 1454 viewsfrancisbowles

Ultimate team — Column on 11:53 - Apr 11 by SonofNorfolt

Wilkins blotted his copybook with me/us by getting us relegated and picking himself too much.

That was a team in decline though as the previous season they only won one of the first eleven. Gerry left for Spurs, Wilkins came back from Palace and took us to 8th. We flirted with Eufa qualification.

Then Ferdinand left and yes he (RW) shares some of the blame for his buys, but Les was our main man. Wonder if he would still have gone if we had qualified for Europe.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2020 15:36]
Ultimate team — Column on 18:02 - Apr 11 with 1346 viewsterryb

Ultimate team — Column on 11:53 - Apr 11 by SonofNorfolt

I'd go with Ale too!

At the time of his injury, Argentina were looking to play him instead of Mascherano (spelling?). That is how good he was!

When is he coming back for his Forever induction?( Obviously not in the near future)!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024