Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day for Football return 17:45 - Apr 13 with 5111 viewsdurham_exile

It would seem that English football could return on June 6th if the authorities are given the green light.

May 16 would mark a mini period for the equivalent of pre season games prior to the completion of the 19/20 season.

Initially the games will be played behind closed doors.

Still lots to discuss but a plan is clearly being considered.

Up the U's
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 19:13]

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 23:18 - Apr 13 with 2800 viewsmfb_cufc

Just don't get this idea of playing behind closed doors. None of the clubs seem to want it, and why wait until June 6th. They could do it now by testing all those involved.

mfb

D Day for Football return on 00:59 - Apr 14 with 2794 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 23:18 - Apr 13 by mfb_cufc

Just don't get this idea of playing behind closed doors. None of the clubs seem to want it, and why wait until June 6th. They could do it now by testing all those involved.

Mick I reckon that by delaying until June the authorities might be able to introduce an exit strategy for the lockdown and if so supporters might be allowed to the stadia.

If there is no change to the current situation then playing behind closed doors will be the way forward until the exit strategy kicks in.

Clearly until a positive decision can be made and the risk is diminished there will be no change.

Stay safe.

D Day approaches.

Possibly 12 more games for the Super U's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:40 - Apr 14 with 2756 viewsburnsieespana

Playing behind closed doors will allow a gradual return to normality.
I think the German Bundesliga players returned to limited training last week.
My view, for what it is worth, most of Europe including the UK will remain in a lock down sort of situation until mid to end of May.
Experience from China shows most provinces were locked down for between 50 & 60 days and my bet is Europe will not be very different.
Heard today English schools are talking about a limited return in early June but Durham I guess you can tell us if this is reality or people hoping for this scenario.
D Day for Football return on 19:20 - Apr 14 with 2742 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:40 - Apr 14 by burnsieespana

Playing behind closed doors will allow a gradual return to normality.
I think the German Bundesliga players returned to limited training last week.
My view, for what it is worth, most of Europe including the UK will remain in a lock down sort of situation until mid to end of May.
Experience from China shows most provinces were locked down for between 50 & 60 days and my bet is Europe will not be very different.
Heard today English schools are talking about a limited return in early June but Durham I guess you can tell us if this is reality or people hoping for this scenario.

Burnsie - many schools have remained open to teach the children of key workers.

There is a guarded approach to an early June return for the bulk of schools. Many scientists have identified children as very low risk for Coronavirus but of course it is the teachers, support staff and ancillary staff who would be at risk.

There is considerable discussion amongst Independent Schools who are divided over whether to reduce fees for the summer term or not. Some of the more prestigious schools are reluctant to reduce fees. Bear in mind some of the top schools charge up to £45k per year.

A decision regarding schools would have to be made after the revision to the lockdown arrangements which is currently set to continue for another 3 weeks at least.

I reckon that football behind closed doors in June following a brief mini pre season from the middle of May is possible.

Given our consistently poor starts to the seasons over the last few years. We must hope that the U's hit the ground running and carry on where they left off at Carlisle.

Of course the disturbing figures now 12,107 deaths is concentrating minds and frankly everything else is of little consequence.

If a plateau begins to emerge over the next 3 weeks there will be a clamour for a restoration of some normality but if the country gets it wrong then we face a very long and difficult Summer.

Stay safe, take care

Up the U's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 15:54 - Apr 17 with 2666 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 19:20 - Apr 14 by durham_exile

Burnsie - many schools have remained open to teach the children of key workers.

There is a guarded approach to an early June return for the bulk of schools. Many scientists have identified children as very low risk for Coronavirus but of course it is the teachers, support staff and ancillary staff who would be at risk.

There is considerable discussion amongst Independent Schools who are divided over whether to reduce fees for the summer term or not. Some of the more prestigious schools are reluctant to reduce fees. Bear in mind some of the top schools charge up to £45k per year.

A decision regarding schools would have to be made after the revision to the lockdown arrangements which is currently set to continue for another 3 weeks at least.

I reckon that football behind closed doors in June following a brief mini pre season from the middle of May is possible.

Given our consistently poor starts to the seasons over the last few years. We must hope that the U's hit the ground running and carry on where they left off at Carlisle.

Of course the disturbing figures now 12,107 deaths is concentrating minds and frankly everything else is of little consequence.

If a plateau begins to emerge over the next 3 weeks there will be a clamour for a restoration of some normality but if the country gets it wrong then we face a very long and difficult Summer.

Stay safe, take care

Up the U's

It looks increasingly likely that games will resume probably in line with mid May for warm up games and June 6th for our last nine games.
Possibly another 3 after that.

Ifollow will stream them all which brings us in line with foreign countries who already watch 3pm Saturday games (burnsie and Pinault already have this luxury.

It will be bizarre in the extreme, perhaps 500 supporters might be allowed in as in the recent Europa League games involving Man U and Wolves.

We wait out.

No plans for play off finals but they might not be played at Wembley but regionally.

JM says the U's are ready to play when required. Players are training alone to ensure social distancing.

Roll on June
Stay safe

Up the U's

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:04 - Apr 20 with 2568 viewsmfb_cufc

League 2 clubs are holding a summit tomorrow about ending the season now. The 24 clubs have organised an emergency video call. If a large number of teams push for the season to end as things stand, a vote on the decision is likely to follow.

League 2 chiefs fear they will not have enough funds to go ahead with a restart following the lockdown. The cost of playing on in an extended campaign is too much for most, with extra wages to be paid and no revenue coming in because games will be played behind closed doors.

On top of that, the PFA want a blanket deal on contract extensions, which would mean clubs can't pick and choose what players to keep for the extra games. There are around 640 League 2 players out of contract on 30th June and extending the season - and their deals - would have a devastating effect on some clubs. That will see more clubs pushing for the season to end now.

Personally I think it is inevitable they will vote for the season to end now, and in turn the other EFL Leagues and Premier League will follow suit.

mfb

D Day for Football return on 19:09 - Apr 20 with 2556 viewswessex_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:04 - Apr 20 by mfb_cufc

League 2 clubs are holding a summit tomorrow about ending the season now. The 24 clubs have organised an emergency video call. If a large number of teams push for the season to end as things stand, a vote on the decision is likely to follow.

League 2 chiefs fear they will not have enough funds to go ahead with a restart following the lockdown. The cost of playing on in an extended campaign is too much for most, with extra wages to be paid and no revenue coming in because games will be played behind closed doors.

On top of that, the PFA want a blanket deal on contract extensions, which would mean clubs can't pick and choose what players to keep for the extra games. There are around 640 League 2 players out of contract on 30th June and extending the season - and their deals - would have a devastating effect on some clubs. That will see more clubs pushing for the season to end now.

Personally I think it is inevitable they will vote for the season to end now, and in turn the other EFL Leagues and Premier League will follow suit.

I think you're probably right mfb - let's be honest, there are only 9 or 10 clubs left with anything to play for now, and only four of them certain of anything to gain once the dust has settled. I'm not so sure on the lack of revenue though, with matches broadcast online to a nation starved of football to watch, I suspect there will be loads prepared to pay £10 to iFollow to watch the matches, and the clubs get 80% of that. With minimal matchday expenditure to worry about, I reckon clubs could actually do quite well financially out of the deal, but enough to make it worth their while - possibly not?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

D Day for Football return on 20:19 - Apr 20 with 2537 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 19:09 - Apr 20 by wessex_exile

I think you're probably right mfb - let's be honest, there are only 9 or 10 clubs left with anything to play for now, and only four of them certain of anything to gain once the dust has settled. I'm not so sure on the lack of revenue though, with matches broadcast online to a nation starved of football to watch, I suspect there will be loads prepared to pay £10 to iFollow to watch the matches, and the clubs get 80% of that. With minimal matchday expenditure to worry about, I reckon clubs could actually do quite well financially out of the deal, but enough to make it worth their while - possibly not?

I'm still hopeful that the season will be allowed to play out.

Dates still as per my first post.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

D Day for Football return on 21:42 - Apr 20 with 2522 viewsBFG

Hello all

They covered elements of this BBC 5 Live at 7pm tonight, and the Fleetwood Town Chairman as a virtual guest raised many good points about the impact. The potential / knock-on's just keep coming. Worth a listen.
D Day for Football return on 10:29 - Apr 21 with 2483 viewsbwildered

Lockdown and lockup.

Only a handful of clubs ( inc U's ) would be effected with a season finish voted right now . Looking at the current table if three points were awarded to clubs on 36 games not one promotion or relegation position would be effected , except title decider .
So if all clubs had a vote, the majority would finalize the season especially has some have now furloughed members of squads eg Crewe & Newport.
With players contracts overunning , warm up games before, then playing games matches behind closed doors and play off games , all to schedule before a next season start -- seems a season lockup IS the common sense alternative .

Let's face it CV19 is still not under control to resume playing sport and without supporters not worth the quick fix .

Still stay safe everyone .
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 10:35]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

D Day for Football return on 16:03 - Apr 21 with 2443 viewsLeadbelly

D Day for Football return on 10:29 - Apr 21 by bwildered

Lockdown and lockup.

Only a handful of clubs ( inc U's ) would be effected with a season finish voted right now . Looking at the current table if three points were awarded to clubs on 36 games not one promotion or relegation position would be effected , except title decider .
So if all clubs had a vote, the majority would finalize the season especially has some have now furloughed members of squads eg Crewe & Newport.
With players contracts overunning , warm up games before, then playing games matches behind closed doors and play off games , all to schedule before a next season start -- seems a season lockup IS the common sense alternative .

Let's face it CV19 is still not under control to resume playing sport and without supporters not worth the quick fix .

Still stay safe everyone .
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 10:35]

The longer the lockdown continues the less likely it is this current season will resume. Unsatisfactory, of course, but I don't really see a viable alternative that will work for all parties. Whether there will be promotion and relegation if the season is cancelled or whatever happens remains to be seen.

Leeds were top of the Championship and Colchester were 6th in League 2 when the season was suspended. If the season is scrapped and there is no promotion and relegation I'll live with that decision. There are far more important things than football.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

D Day for Football return on 16:05 - Apr 21 with 2443 viewsWitham

I would be up for paying my season ticket twice next year if it meant we finished this season (whenever that is) and then did another season.
Looking at timescales other organisations have set for a return to normality:-
a) Councils - can hold virtual meetings until May 2021
b) Army - can't commit to a parade unt after 20th September
c) MOT tests - extended to end of September

Others will be able to give examples from their places of work.

Let's be realistic - and plan for how we help not only Col I but lots of other organisations stay afloat and get back to normal.
D Day for Football return on 08:30 - Apr 22 with 2404 viewsMoor_Pinot

D Day for Football return on 16:03 - Apr 21 by Leadbelly

The longer the lockdown continues the less likely it is this current season will resume. Unsatisfactory, of course, but I don't really see a viable alternative that will work for all parties. Whether there will be promotion and relegation if the season is cancelled or whatever happens remains to be seen.

Leeds were top of the Championship and Colchester were 6th in League 2 when the season was suspended. If the season is scrapped and there is no promotion and relegation I'll live with that decision. There are far more important things than football.

There are indeed Whalers.

I have accepted that the season is over.
This is to all intents and purposes a war, albeit with the hidden foe as Morpurgo called it.
During WW2 football wasn't played much, nor cricket and the population accepted the relative unimportance of sport as BW says in his post.
Here in France the decision was made last week that for the top three leagues outside the Prem that a line would be drawn. I suspect that eventually the British government will extend the lockdown because it is a reasonably successful ploy. They don't like it here (week 6 & 3 more to come) but accept it and a new life is not only in process now but a new life beyond is being actively discussed and planned. Positives for the future are factored in. A new France, a new world.
Big stuff like that is sadly bigger than football and I can't see the U's getting to finish the season however much I wish they could.

Moor Pinot

D Day for Football return on 20:51 - Apr 22 with 2363 viewsmfb_cufc

Today the National League clubs have voted to end the regular season at its current point, with promotion and relegation outcomes "under careful consideration". Of course if they decide to void their season there will be no teams promoted, and no teams from League 2 relegated. This is the reason why EFL chairman Rick Parry has told League 2 clubs to carry on and try to finish the season, because he is keen to avoid one division halting - and causing a domino effect.

Parry also warned unhappy clubs that it would take a vote at the full EGM to change the rules. There will be a review on 16th May - the day scheduled for the start of training among EFL clubs.

I think Parry is just trying to buy time. The only way I can see a majority of League 2 clubs voting to finish the season is if they are given a big enough financial injection to pay for extending out of contract players, and making up for the lost revenue for playing behind closed doors.

League 1 clubs are also due to have the same meeting the League 2 clubs had yesterday. Finally a bit of possible good news for U's fans. I read a report that said if Leagues 1 and 2 were to end the season now they would be in favour of the tables for League 1 and 2 be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League 2) to settle the final promotion place.

If League 2 was decided on points per game the top eight would look like this:-

Swindon 1.917
Crewe 1.865
Plymouth 1.838
-------------------------
Cheltenham 1.778
Exeter 1.757
COLCHESTER 1.568
Northampton 1.568
--------------------------
Port Vale 1.541

mfb

D Day for Football return on 18:12 - Apr 23 with 2325 viewsthrillseeker

During my daily allowable exercise period I went up to ground with daughters on a bike ride.

The stadium looked great in the sunshine and the pitch was being worked on. I was surprised to still see some bare patches especially considering the perfect weather of recent weeks.

The sprinklers were on that created a nice rainbow

Nice to see a couple of scarfs hanging outside South Stand with condolence message for Paul 'Bingo' Wright.

I am missing my football fix
D Day for Football return on 14:02 - Apr 26 with 2233 viewsburnsieespana

According to skysports League's 1 & 2 are looking at contingency measures including a mini tournament for the top 8 in each division to decide who is promoted. Seems under the contingency plans nobody will be relegated and the following season additional teams will be relegated to balance the leagues up for 2021/22.
Over Europe going to be a number of different ways of dealing with this as think Germany are getting ready to start again around mid May but Holland and Belgium appear to have terminated the season with the top teams being awarded the championship.
Somehow I can't see 2019/20 season outstanding games played but why can't a boffin write a programme to allow calculations of results? Surely it is possible by feeding into a computer all the seasons played games and arrive at a solution?
D Day for Football return on 16:25 - Apr 26 with 2225 viewsLeadbelly

D Day for Football return on 14:02 - Apr 26 by burnsieespana

According to skysports League's 1 & 2 are looking at contingency measures including a mini tournament for the top 8 in each division to decide who is promoted. Seems under the contingency plans nobody will be relegated and the following season additional teams will be relegated to balance the leagues up for 2021/22.
Over Europe going to be a number of different ways of dealing with this as think Germany are getting ready to start again around mid May but Holland and Belgium appear to have terminated the season with the top teams being awarded the championship.
Somehow I can't see 2019/20 season outstanding games played but why can't a boffin write a programme to allow calculations of results? Surely it is possible by feeding into a computer all the seasons played games and arrive at a solution?

It’s entirely possible but would no doubt be referred to our learned friends for months of legal wrangling which could, in turn, easily affect the start of next season.

D Day for Football return on 20:12 - Apr 26 with 2205 viewswessex_exile

D Day for Football return on 16:25 - Apr 26 by Leadbelly

It’s entirely possible but would no doubt be referred to our learned friends for months of legal wrangling which could, in turn, easily affect the start of next season.

Do we still have a pools panel? They managed to decide outcomes quite happily for years without challenge, albeit no points or places depended on their decision - but it was accepted by all.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

D Day for Football return on 09:35 - Apr 27 with 2179 viewsbwildered

Mini tournament, what's the difference with that and completing the season league fixtiures ?

D Day for Football return on 10:35 - Apr 27 with 2175 viewsdurham_exile

D Day for Football return on 09:35 - Apr 27 by bwildered

Mini tournament, what's the difference with that and completing the season league fixtiures ?

bwildered - the advantage of the top eight playoffs over completing the full fixtures would allow only those teams who have a genuine outcome to play for to actually compete.

I still favour playing the remainder of the season, but I fear many teams have lost interest in completing Leagues One and Two. Financial aspects, health fears, players contracts, costs etc etc.

The Football authorities will be guided by any relaxation of the lockdown regulations.

Certainly a mini play off to determine the four promoted clubs from League 2 to League 1 could be held in June after a warm up period mid May.

We wait out.

UTU's

Stay Safe

Durham_exile

D Day for Football return on 19:00 - Apr 28 with 2133 viewsLeadbelly

FIFA chief medical officer advising leagues to scrap current season and prepare for the next.

Top two leagues in France will not resume.

UEFA telling leagues they need to decide by 25 May whether they will complete the current season.

That’s just news from today.

D Day for Football return on 12:15 - Apr 29 with 2077 viewsburnsieespana

At our level I cannot see football restarting until September.
Several Div 2 clubs dug up pitches in recent days and Cambridge released a bunch of players.
D Day for Football return on 21:04 - Apr 29 with 2039 viewsBFG

No chance IMHO of this season starting again at this level. France, Holland Prem leagues already declared void. No point, I wouldn't tune in to watch an empty stadium stream of players who may know they are leaving, out of form, fitness, mojo. The momentum has gone. Far more important things to think about. Sad but true
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 23:10]
D Day for Football return on 21:18 - Apr 29 with 2025 viewsBFG

ps The cup run might financially prove our saviour more than we imagined
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 23:11]
D Day for Football return on 09:09 - May 2 with 1931 viewsbwildered

Seems all noises indicate whether a finish or resumption to the season, behind closed door games until 2021.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024