Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What If England INternational 18:09 - Apr 19 with 4350 viewsTGRRRSSS

Following the What if QPR thread...

What if Terry Venables took over from Bobby Robson in 92 rather than 95.

Surely England would have done better at Euro 92 - and qualified and done ok at USA 94???...

Thoughts - looking back I'm amazed Taylor survived Euro 92 - he had some bad luck maybe and was a decent man I think and obviously was a decent club manager too a degree but TV 92-98 might have been very different for England I imagine.
What If England INternational on 18:16 - Apr 22 with 1107 viewsTGRRRSSS

What If England INternational on 16:18 - Apr 21 by Toast_R

Euro 96 is thought of as some England extraordinaire team narrowly missing out when they should have won. Fact is, they had home advantage, had one amazing performance against the a out of sorts Dutch team, underperformed v Switzerland and were a missed penalty away from being in trouble to the Jocks. Lucked in with a penalty shootout v Spain in a drab game that Spain had a goal disallowed in and weren't good enough to beat the Germans at home.

Unless I'm mistaken here, that Spain penalty shoot out is the only knock-out game England have ever won at a Euro's and it was sh*t fluky.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 16:20]

Had a very good side though, I get where your coming from, but they were unfortunate against the Germans really.

Had some decent players, Seaman in goal, Adams, Gascoigne, Sheringham and Shearer.

They actually had some decent players with some decent footballing brains.

I don't really remember the Spain game too much - I do remember one mix up where Pearce had to clear something danegerous that Brian Moore described in a hilarious way.
I dont remember the goal though, was it fortunately for England or was it clearly one to be disallowed?

I can't remember it at all, weird.
What If England INternational on 09:49 - Apr 23 with 1080 viewsTheChef

What If England INternational on 18:16 - Apr 22 by TGRRRSSS

Had a very good side though, I get where your coming from, but they were unfortunate against the Germans really.

Had some decent players, Seaman in goal, Adams, Gascoigne, Sheringham and Shearer.

They actually had some decent players with some decent footballing brains.

I don't really remember the Spain game too much - I do remember one mix up where Pearce had to clear something danegerous that Brian Moore described in a hilarious way.
I dont remember the goal though, was it fortunately for England or was it clearly one to be disallowed?

I can't remember it at all, weird.

Spain did score one that was disallowed but it was clearly onside.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What If England INternational on 20:42 - May 15 with 1037 viewsToast_R

Anyone else watching Euro 96 relived on ITV?

Watched England v Switzerland last night, literally showing the whole original broadcasts, its wonderful nostalgia. Good panels of pundits. Keegan and Fergie fresh after his "Luv it" spat. Jack Charlton giving his pennies worth.

Really good watch snd England in that match were pretty dire..
What If England INternational on 07:01 - May 16 with 984 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I wonder what would have happened if Brian Clough had got the England job at the height of his powers?

Given the talent that was around, I imagine it would have been fun to sit-in on a meeting between Clough and the old farts of the International Committee, as he argued his selectIon of many of the mavericks of the day.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What If England INternational on 12:54 - May 16 with 930 viewsToast_R

What If England INternational on 07:01 - May 16 by PlanetHonneywood

I wonder what would have happened if Brian Clough had got the England job at the height of his powers?

Given the talent that was around, I imagine it would have been fun to sit-in on a meeting between Clough and the old farts of the International Committee, as he argued his selectIon of many of the mavericks of the day.

Sadly the bastards never gave us the opportunity to find out. His reaction to the hand of God goal would have been interesting. In all fairness his lsst stab at the job would have been after Robson's disastrous Euro 88 campaign. The FA chose to stick with their man rightly or wrongly.
What If England INternational on 13:40 - May 16 with 914 viewstraininvain

I wonder what would’ve happened if Rooney hadn’t got injured at Euro 2004. Still think it was our best chance of winning a major international tournament. Other major teams were poor (Greece won the tournament) and we had a very strong team.

Rooney was playing out of his skin and looked unplayable. Look at that England team. Only the keeper looks questionable.

James

Neville
Campbell
Terry
Cole

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes

Rooney
Owen
What If England INternational on 21:53 - May 16 with 890 viewsCamberleyR

What If England INternational on 07:01 - May 16 by PlanetHonneywood

Bloody scandalous that he didn't get the job when interviewed for it in December 1977 (alongside Lawrie McMenemy, Jack Charlton and Greenwood) but typically the FA chose good old, safe, non threatening Ron Greenwood an FA man down to his socks.

I'd have NOT given it to Greenwood on the basis of one game alone where he'd been in caretaker charge after Revie. His second game, away in Luxembourg where we scraped a 2-0 win in the 90th minute. That disastrous game almost certainly cost us qualification needing us to beat Italy at Wembley by a minimum four or five goals at least considering Italy had Luxembourg at home last game. The FA should have said thanks and goodbye for steadying the ship in the wake of the Revie debacle after the Italy home game.

I think Cloughie wouldn't have been as Liverpool obsessed as Greenwood was who often had a minimum four Liverpool players in his teams. They quite often failed to play for England as they did for club. A prime example being Terry McDermott getting 25 caps? How?? A destitute man's Frank Lampard and that's not saying much. I also think we'd have gone a lot closer in the two finals tournaments that Greenwood took us to.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What If England INternational on 22:00 - May 16 with 883 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What If England INternational on 21:53 - May 16 by CamberleyR

Bloody scandalous that he didn't get the job when interviewed for it in December 1977 (alongside Lawrie McMenemy, Jack Charlton and Greenwood) but typically the FA chose good old, safe, non threatening Ron Greenwood an FA man down to his socks.

I'd have NOT given it to Greenwood on the basis of one game alone where he'd been in caretaker charge after Revie. His second game, away in Luxembourg where we scraped a 2-0 win in the 90th minute. That disastrous game almost certainly cost us qualification needing us to beat Italy at Wembley by a minimum four or five goals at least considering Italy had Luxembourg at home last game. The FA should have said thanks and goodbye for steadying the ship in the wake of the Revie debacle after the Italy home game.

I think Cloughie wouldn't have been as Liverpool obsessed as Greenwood was who often had a minimum four Liverpool players in his teams. They quite often failed to play for England as they did for club. A prime example being Terry McDermott getting 25 caps? How?? A destitute man's Frank Lampard and that's not saying much. I also think we'd have gone a lot closer in the two finals tournaments that Greenwood took us to.

"Of those mavericks who received call-ups from their country, most were selected by Alf Ramsey, but he became largely frustrated with their lack of consistency. Ramsey was the manager who called up Rodney Marsh for his first cap in November 1971. Marsh and Ramsey could not have been at more opposite ends of the social and educational spectrum. One story told by Marsh has Ramsey telling him “I’ll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don’t work harder I’ll pull you off at half-time”. To which Marsh replied “Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea!”

https://footballpink.net/meet-the-mavericks-part-2/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024