Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agueroooooooo! 16:10 - May 13 with 10746 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sorry if already posted - but some nice stuff here about that day, with plenty from the Chief (who doesn't like Barton) about how hard it was for him, but also makes sure he says how much he loved QPR once he'd been there a while too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52604782

No mention, however, yet again, of how Tevez smacked Barton first. What Barton did was inexcusable, but it's always baffled me how Tevez totally got away with it - what he did was a red card offence too, and he should also have received a ban.

Bare bones.

Agueroooooooo! on 13:25 - May 14 with 1510 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 13:19 - May 14 by daveB

reason City had to spend that kind of money to start with was because Chelsea and United had inflated the market to ensure only they could get the best players so City had to go mad to compete.

I'm not trying to demonize United but they did spend a fair bit to put together a team to win the league, everyone who has won it since the late 80's has done the same

If I recall correctly Blackburn's '95 team cost less than the Man Utd team, which gets forgotten sometimes. Dalglish just spent wiser than Ferguson.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Agueroooooooo! on 13:26 - May 14 with 1500 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 13:25 - May 14 by BrianMcCarthy

If I recall correctly Blackburn's '95 team cost less than the Man Utd team, which gets forgotten sometimes. Dalglish just spent wiser than Ferguson.

It did in terms of financial outlay but Blackburn far exceeded their income from gate receipts and prize money.
Agueroooooooo! on 13:31 - May 14 with 1490 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 13:26 - May 14 by St_Pollock

It did in terms of financial outlay but Blackburn far exceeded their income from gate receipts and prize money.

Which I have no problem with at all, seeing as Walker was a fan, they also sold wisely, and he developed the ground along the way. Money spent extremely wisely and very successfully. They were the best team in the league that year and Man Utd spent more and couldn't beat them.

Agueroooooooo! on 13:36 - May 14 with 1472 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 13:31 - May 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Which I have no problem with at all, seeing as Walker was a fan, they also sold wisely, and he developed the ground along the way. Money spent extremely wisely and very successfully. They were the best team in the league that year and Man Utd spent more and couldn't beat them.

I think the fact that Walker was a fan made it more palatable to be fair.

Blackburn's success in 1995 certainly didn't evoke any passionate reaction in me or most people I knew at the time even if most knew it was fake/tarnished success.
Agueroooooooo! on 13:42 - May 14 with 1456 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 13:36 - May 14 by St_Pollock

I think the fact that Walker was a fan made it more palatable to be fair.

Blackburn's success in 1995 certainly didn't evoke any passionate reaction in me or most people I knew at the time even if most knew it was fake/tarnished success.

I agree with you entirely up until the last phrase.

In this world of FFP, we are now blinded into thinking that small clubs are not allowed to try and compete with the self-professed elite. Blackburn's success wasn't fake or tarnished in the slightest - it was earned on the pitch, and off it by a committed fan-owner. Clubs like Man Utd like the game rigged, and have since managed to enshrine such rigging in the rules.

They don't like it up 'em!

Agueroooooooo! on 13:43 - May 14 with 1447 viewsNorthernr

As long as it's not Man Utd or Chelsea winning it I don't really care what the team that beats them to it does to get there.
Agueroooooooo! on 13:49 - May 14 with 1439 viewsstowmarketrange

Agueroooooooo! on 13:22 - May 14 by St_Pollock

"Were you one of the few who deserted our club because we’d suddenly come into money?"

Yes, I was.

I hand on heart stopped going when we became a 'boutique club' and only started going again around 4 years ago.

I still argue that QPR died and we're a phoenix club wearing the same colours and using the same ground.

I have no desire to see us become something I passionately hate but each to their own and we all had our own minds to make up at that time.

Fair play to you for sticking to your principles,but you missed some brilliant games over that period.And also some crap ones too.
We and most clubs spend more than what they earn in order to try and buy success.We tried to do it under Jim Gregory,but obviously not to the same scale.I only started going in 1970 so I don’t remember the old days of being virtually stranded in the 3rd division year after year.Would we have won that league cup in 67 without Gregory spending money on players?Or would we have gone so close without the money spent on players prior to 76?
Buying players at over £150,00 wasn’t financed by 20,000 fans coming the turnstiles every other week.
Football has changed so much over the years,not all for the better either,but without ambition and money invested,you get stagnation.It all depends on your level of spending and ambition.
Agueroooooooo! on 13:50 - May 14 with 1435 viewsrsonist

Agueroooooooo! on 13:42 - May 14 by BrianMcCarthy

In this world of FFP, we are now blinded into thinking that small clubs are not allowed to try and compete with the self-professed elite. Blackburn's success wasn't fake or tarnished in the slightest - it was earned on the pitch, and off it by a committed fan-owner. Clubs like Man Utd like the game rigged, and have since managed to enshrine such rigging in the rules.

You're not your usual rational self when it comes to FFP.
Login to get fewer ads

Agueroooooooo! on 13:54 - May 14 with 1430 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 13:42 - May 14 by BrianMcCarthy

I disagree.

Small clubs are still allowed to compete but what has changed is fans lacking patience in my opinion.

It'll take 10-15 years for a mid table club to get their youth and scouting systems to a position that they can get a conveyer belt going which would allow them to do what we did very successfully, buy cheap, sell high and, subsequently, produce a team which can challenge for success every now and then.

They will always have to sell their better players but with patience and the right set up in place that wouldn't be a problem, they'd always have a ready made replacement.

The problem is fans would no longer tolerate such a slow approach. Can you imagine doing now what we did all throughout our most successful period where our best player left bi-annually without fans having protests every week?

FFP may not be perfect in nature but it was created in the right spirit: trying to ensure clubs are not lumbered with debts which may kill them. I find it hard to be against such sentiments.
Agueroooooooo! on 14:31 - May 14 with 1406 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 13:54 - May 14 by St_Pollock

I disagree.

Small clubs are still allowed to compete but what has changed is fans lacking patience in my opinion.

It'll take 10-15 years for a mid table club to get their youth and scouting systems to a position that they can get a conveyer belt going which would allow them to do what we did very successfully, buy cheap, sell high and, subsequently, produce a team which can challenge for success every now and then.

They will always have to sell their better players but with patience and the right set up in place that wouldn't be a problem, they'd always have a ready made replacement.

The problem is fans would no longer tolerate such a slow approach. Can you imagine doing now what we did all throughout our most successful period where our best player left bi-annually without fans having protests every week?

FFP may not be perfect in nature but it was created in the right spirit: trying to ensure clubs are not lumbered with debts which may kill them. I find it hard to be against such sentiments.

I admire the sentiments.

However small clubs are not allowed to compete equally. Big clubs are allowed to compete through youth, through wages or through the transfer market. Small clubs are hamstrung when trying to compete through the latter two methods as they can only spend in relation to their current size - it stops us getting any bigger and it amounts to a restriction in trade.

Agueroooooooo! on 14:34 - May 14 with 1397 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 13:50 - May 14 by rsonist

You're not your usual rational self when it comes to FFP.

The weird thing, rsonist, is that I love our club being run like it is now.

But let's not cod ourselves - if it wasn't for having exceptionally talented people in Hoos, Ferdinand, Ramsey et al we would be down another division at least.

The last relegation from the Premier League was our fault. That FFP has not relegated us down another division or two is a minor miracle.

Agueroooooooo! on 14:49 - May 14 with 1373 viewsGaryT

Agueroooooooo! on 13:19 - May 14 by daveB

reason City had to spend that kind of money to start with was because Chelsea and United had inflated the market to ensure only they could get the best players so City had to go mad to compete.

I'm not trying to demonize United but they did spend a fair bit to put together a team to win the league, everyone who has won it since the late 80's has done the same

How quickly we forget

Agueroooooooo! on 15:11 - May 14 with 1354 viewsTW_R

Agueroooooooo! on 11:37 - May 14 by St_Pollock

Derry put his hands on him, he took advantage.

If the former doesn't happen then he doesn't go down.

Our players would have done exactly the same.

Even if you despise diving - and that equates to not celebrating any dubious penalties in our favour because if you do that is a clear admission that you're a hypocrite - Ashley Young doing what he did can not seriously be compared to what Man City have done.

It's honestly embarrassing that QPR fans are still happy to celebrate what City 'achieved'.

If that's the way you want to look at it that's up to you, but you just need to watch the video to see Derry brushed him with the tips of his fingers. He went down because he's a cheating c*nt, no other reason. Seeing that smile wiped from his face when he realised City had scored their 3rd is worth all the billions the Saudis put into it. It was especially sweet as he was talking before the game about us doing them a favour. Outside of us winning something or getting promoted, I really couldn't wish for a better end to season.
Agueroooooooo! on 15:28 - May 14 with 1341 viewsrobith

Agueroooooooo! on 14:49 - May 14 by GaryT

How quickly we forget

I thought that we would never hear the end of Leicester winning the title, but it's been almost completely redacted. Almost like there was something a bit fishy about it............................................................................................
Agueroooooooo! on 15:49 - May 14 with 1298 views2Thomas2Bowles

Agueroooooooo! on 14:49 - May 14 by GaryT

How quickly we forget

The only time I've wanted another club to win the prem.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Agueroooooooo! on 15:50 - May 14 with 1309 viewsNorthernr

Agueroooooooo! on 15:28 - May 14 by robith

I thought that we would never hear the end of Leicester winning the title, but it's been almost completely redacted. Almost like there was something a bit fishy about it............................................................................................

Wasn't there some story that WADA asked to move into their training ground and monitor their methods the following season, leicester said yes of course and then immediately went back to being the midtable team they always had been before? Or is that an old wives tale?
Agueroooooooo! on 15:54 - May 14 with 1285 views2Thomas2Bowles

Agueroooooooo! on 15:50 - May 14 by Northernr

Wasn't there some story that WADA asked to move into their training ground and monitor their methods the following season, leicester said yes of course and then immediately went back to being the midtable team they always had been before? Or is that an old wives tale?

They could have been on spice/ meth anything for all I cared

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Agueroooooooo! on 16:33 - May 14 with 1264 viewsPeterHucker

already posted it on the other thread on the topic of the City / QPR match 8 years ago, but anyway here's the report I wrote for LFW at the time.
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/17185/behind-enemy-lines-

No idea why it's showing as being on a Portsmouth page instead.
Clive, any idea?
Agueroooooooo! on 16:52 - May 14 with 1243 viewsNorthernr

Agueroooooooo! on 16:33 - May 14 by PeterHucker

already posted it on the other thread on the topic of the City / QPR match 8 years ago, but anyway here's the report I wrote for LFW at the time.
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/17185/behind-enemy-lines-

No idea why it's showing as being on a Portsmouth page instead.
Clive, any idea?

Absolutely no idea but if you change portsmouth to queensparkrangers in the URL et voila

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/17185/behind-enemy
Agueroooooooo! on 17:43 - May 14 with 1207 viewsTheChef

Sounds like an old wives tale.

I mean I'm as cynical as they come, but I think Leicester managed to have one perfect season while all the usual suspects were off the boil.

Then again their owner died in a helicopter crash (why always helicopters?) so who knows?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Agueroooooooo! on 17:50 - May 14 with 1200 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agueroooooooo! on 16:52 - May 14 by Northernr

Absolutely no idea but if you change portsmouth to queensparkrangers in the URL et voila

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/17185/behind-enemy

Will read that later.

Chorizo Garbanzo is a great name!

Agueroooooooo! on 18:19 - May 14 with 1170 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 15:11 - May 14 by TW_R

If that's the way you want to look at it that's up to you, but you just need to watch the video to see Derry brushed him with the tips of his fingers. He went down because he's a cheating c*nt, no other reason. Seeing that smile wiped from his face when he realised City had scored their 3rd is worth all the billions the Saudis put into it. It was especially sweet as he was talking before the game about us doing them a favour. Outside of us winning something or getting promoted, I really couldn't wish for a better end to season.

I said he took advantage but you lose all moral high ground here unless you condemn all such 'cheating' including ours.

If Derry hadn't put his hands out like a 3rd Division footballer Young couldn't have taken advantage of it.

As asked elsewhere on this thread, did you walk out of the ground in disgust when Wells dived to win penalties or when Devon White punched the ball in the net against Everton?
[Post edited 14 May 2020 18:20]
Agueroooooooo! on 18:23 - May 14 with 1166 viewsMrSheen

Kante leaving, Mahrez getting the hump and 10 extra games in Europe might have had a bit to do with it.
Agueroooooooo! on 18:23 - May 14 with 1164 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 17:43 - May 14 by TheChef

Sounds like an old wives tale.

I mean I'm as cynical as they come, but I think Leicester managed to have one perfect season while all the usual suspects were off the boil.

Then again their owner died in a helicopter crash (why always helicopters?) so who knows?

There was nothing dodgy about Leicester.

They had gone on a mad winning run at the tail-end of the previous season and the confidence gained from that propelled them forwards the following season.

They also, as you say, had the perfect storm where the main contenders for the title were rebuilding.
Agueroooooooo! on 18:36 - May 14 with 1153 viewsSt_Pollock

Agueroooooooo! on 14:34 - May 14 by BrianMcCarthy

The weird thing, rsonist, is that I love our club being run like it is now.

But let's not cod ourselves - if it wasn't for having exceptionally talented people in Hoos, Ferdinand, Ramsey et al we would be down another division at least.

The last relegation from the Premier League was our fault. That FFP has not relegated us down another division or two is a minor miracle.

QPR was reborn over the last 5 years.

What we have now is a chance to make a club in the image of what we made before with a good youth and scouting system and a conveyor belt of players available to replace those who we have to sell.

It's not being small minded to expect us never to constantly compete with the best - we're 138 years old (134 for those pedants who thrive on historical accuracy) and we've played 23 seasons in the top flight - but we can create a club to be proud of. As we did before we took the rich boys' money quicker than a desperate hooker.

The rich boys killed the soul - I say they killed QPR as well - of the club and despite, I think it was you, saying that I missed a number of great games during my self imposed exile, few of those I kept in touch with ever failed to say that the club was no longer theirs and they went out of habit. Even when we were 'successful'.

I'm not sure how any QPR fan of a certain vintage could have extracted much happiness and joy during those years to be honest.

We're not there yet - I don't like the reliance on loan players for example - but QPR has been born again. Let's not F it up this time...
[Post edited 14 May 2020 18:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024