Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( 09:30 - May 14 with 2853 viewsDaniel

In the 20 years (yes its really that long) I've run this site, I've never been one to share my personal life on here or to ask for money. But I'm going to break both rules today ...

Some of you may recall that at the beginning of the season I was looking to take a step back from running this site. The reason why, though I didn't mention it at the time, was because I was soon to become a dad.

On 14 October my son was born but sadly he died unexpectedly the same day.

We named him Lucas and he was very much going to be the next generation ColU supporter. His name had a ColU influence, Luke being the most common name in the U's, including the captain's, and just weeks before he was born we beat Spurs with the help of a missed penalty by Lucas Moura.

It's been a tough seven months since. At my first game back there was an announcement over the PA congratulating someone on the birth of their son. Then at later games someone has been bringing a baby to the game in a car seat. Things I genuinely have never seen or heard before this happened, but painfully stand out when you try and escape your life by going to a game. I went to Old Trafford, but my mind was very much not on the occasion.

Anyway, back to me asking for money. My wife and I have decided to raise funds for baby bereavement charities in memory of Lucas and I wanted to share this with you all.

Here is the link - https://justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lucas-whymark
(beware JustGiving ask you to give a 15% contribution to them by default - you can amend thus to 'other' and give them a penny instead)

If you do donate, put a little Up the U's in your comment.
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 11:39 - May 14 with 2834 viewsdurham_exile

Daniel absolutely devastated to read about your incredibly sad news.

I will be happy to contribute towards this worthy cause.

Everything is meaningless compared to your tragic news.

Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Durham_exile

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 15:56 - May 14 with 2810 viewsthrillseeker

Dan

So sorry to hear this news

Donation on it's way

EDIT:the text format on donation has gone a bit wrong
[Post edited 14 May 2020 16:32]
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 16:51 - May 14 with 2798 viewswessex_exile

Daniel - I simply can't begin to imagine the pain and suffering that you two have been through. Well done for not only having the courage to speak openly about it, but particularly for your incredibly selfless act in trying to raise money to support those that comforted you in your hour of need - Lucas will be so proud of his Mum and Dad!

Donation made chap

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 17:04 - May 14 with 2790 viewsMoor_Pinot

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 16:51 - May 14 by wessex_exile

Daniel - I simply can't begin to imagine the pain and suffering that you two have been through. Well done for not only having the courage to speak openly about it, but particularly for your incredibly selfless act in trying to raise money to support those that comforted you in your hour of need - Lucas will be so proud of his Mum and Dad!

Donation made chap

The wise Wessex words echoed from France Daniel. Be strong old son and thank you for what you are doing for Lucas and his U's.

Moor Pinot

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 17:42 - May 14 with 2779 viewsGOSBTS

I'm so sorry to hear this happened Daniel. My wife and I are trying for our first child at the moment and I could not imagine how much pain and heartache you and your wife have gone through. This must have happened not so long after your wonderful act of kindness in offering me your ticket for the Spurs game. I've donated and hope it goes some way to helping these charities out.

Up the U's and God bless you and your wife.
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 17:52 - May 14 with 2774 viewsgerry_us

Absolutely heart wrenching Daniel even more so during this difficult time.
Stay strong mate.
Donation done.
Stay safe
Gerry
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 15:52 - May 15 with 2693 viewsLeadbelly

Daniel,

Truly sorry for your loss.

Donation made to a very worthy cause.

WB

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 17:44 - May 15 with 2675 viewsburnsieespana

Daniel so sorry to read this post.
Lots of positive thoughts from Spain.
Donation done.
Up the U's.
Login to get fewer ads

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 02:07 - May 16 with 2638 viewsTheHappyGooner

Very brave Dan x so sorry to hear this and I’ve been there too x👍♥️🙌🏼

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 17:58 - May 16 with 2554 viewsmfb_cufc

So sorry to hear of your bad news. Thank you for continuing to post your predictions in the Happy League when I knew what a tough time you were going through.

Donation has been made.

mfb

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 00:25 - May 17 with 2525 viewswessex_exile

Chaps, if you haven’t heard, Harry Pell has seen Daniel’s post, and is now auctioning his Man U shirt to raise funds. It’s on the Col U Past Present Future Facebook page, and bidding last time I looked was up to £1,100!

Up the U's

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 12:49 - May 17 with 2483 viewspwrightsknees

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 00:25 - May 17 by wessex_exile

Chaps, if you haven’t heard, Harry Pell has seen Daniel’s post, and is now auctioning his Man U shirt to raise funds. It’s on the Col U Past Present Future Facebook page, and bidding last time I looked was up to £1,100!

That's a wonderful gesture!

For those of us who don't do Facebook, could someone keep us updated and the final amount for Harry's shirt, please.
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 15:50 - May 17 with 2464 viewsMadeira163

Sorry to read this post
Will make donation soon as I get new card
Got hacked and 6 fake withdrawals yesterday
You stay strong and keep talking to each other
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 19:45 - May 17 with 2440 viewswessex_exile

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 12:49 - May 17 by pwrightsknees

That's a wonderful gesture!

For those of us who don't do Facebook, could someone keep us updated and the final amount for Harry's shirt, please.

Up to £1,600 now - the auction is on Harry Pell’s FB page.

Up the U's

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 19:32 - May 18 with 2387 viewsDaniel

First off, thank you for your replies and donations so far

I was very suprised to hear from Harry Pell. Apparently a relative saw this post and made him aware of it... So thank you Harry Pell's future father-in-law and welcome to the forum if you're reading this!

At the time of writing, the auction up to £1800, which is a phenomenal sum, just like the gesture.

You can follow it here if you're not on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/harry.pell.359/posts/1553512624827261
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 12:43 - May 19 with 2341 viewsthrillseeker

A nice article

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/18457719.colchester-united-fan-daniel-overw

Daniel, 38, - 38 - you must be the youngest (regular) member on this board

I hope you are well
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 14:01 - May 23 with 2227 viewsthrillseeker

£3500 was final bid

Harry Pell posted the following

🔥ABSOLUTELY AMAZING🔥

The shirt went for £3,500 to a anonymous Colchester united fan.

The just giving page has received just over £4,600 in the last week.. just want to thank every single person who has either donated or bid on the shirt.

👍🏻
What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 20:21 - May 23 with 2212 viewswessex_exile

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 14:01 - May 23 by thrillseeker

£3500 was final bid

Harry Pell posted the following

🔥ABSOLUTELY AMAZING🔥

The shirt went for £3,500 to a anonymous Colchester united fan.

The just giving page has received just over £4,600 in the last week.. just want to thank every single person who has either donated or bid on the shirt.

👍🏻

Overall total up to £6,280 as things stand - quite incredible what Daniel and Katie have achieved here to help those that helped them! Their generosity of spirit, and of everyone who has contributed (particularly Harry Pell and the auction winner) is frankly humbling, and makes me proud to be part of the Col U family.

Up the U's

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 18:05 - May 24 with 2160 viewsTheOldOakTree

What kind of title do you give a post like this :'( on 20:21 - May 23 by wessex_exile

Overall total up to £6,280 as things stand - quite incredible what Daniel and Katie have achieved here to help those that helped them! Their generosity of spirit, and of everyone who has contributed (particularly Harry Pell and the auction winner) is frankly humbling, and makes me proud to be part of the Col U family.

Ditto Wessex’s words.

My Mum and Dad, who both died in their 90’s lost their first child in the early 1950’s, after just a few precious hours. They would never talk about it whenever I asked about the sister I never knew. I guess in those days it was stiff upper lip and carry on as if nothing has happened. Thankfully the world has moved on since then.

The huge sum that Daniel and Katie have raised so far, will no doubt help ease the pain of many couples who suffer such similar heartache.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024