Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
San Siro 12:44 - May 23 with 1045 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sad. Anyone been?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52739143?at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_cust
San Siro on 13:02 - May 23 with 986 viewsSonofNorfolt

Saw Inter play Juve there in '92.
Most stadia in Italy which had a makeover for the World Cup are falling apart.
Verona still had the Ciao logo visible on the side of the stands.
Bari, Napoli, Palermo are vast and decrepit. Cagliari has been partially demolished and almost abandoned.
Italian football is in a state.
San Siro on 13:19 - May 23 with 958 viewsstowmarketrange

I went to see the Milan derby in about 1993.It was AC at home but Inter scores after 6 mins for the only goal of the game.There were signs that said bar at each corner so I thought I’d console myself with a beer at halftime only to find out that they didn’t sell alcohol.
It was an impressive stadium though.
Napoli’s stadium isn’t bad either,and least you can get beer there.I saw Taraabt playing for Milan against the home side and the atmosphere was very good.
The stadia olimpico in Rome is in a fantastic setting with statues everywhere you look,and very friendly locals.Or at least they are for the rugby.Football might be a different story,especially as an away fan.
Ive just checked and the Milan derby I went to was 10/03/96.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 14:22]
San Siro on 13:31 - May 23 with 928 viewscharmr

Was working in Milan one summer late 80,s and went to check out the stadium. They were renovating it for the upcoming World Cup and extending those spiral things. Got down on to the pitch and then got kicked out.

World Cup 90 a few of us went to the Holland v Germany game where rijkaard spat at Voller.
Superb everything, game, stadium and atmosphere. The Dutch really didn’t like the Germans. I wonder why?
[Post edited 23 May 2020 13:49]
San Siro on 14:09 - May 23 with 867 viewsaston_hoop

Saw Inter draw 1-1 with Bari there, Samuel Eto'o made his debut for Inter and scored. Wasn't a great game but enjoyed the atmosphere

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

San Siro on 15:03 - May 23 with 804 viewsTGRRRSSS

Really hope I can get to go before it's demolished.
San Siro on 15:03 - May 23 with 804 viewsKonk

Went to this game in 2005:

Pre-internet, getting tickets for overseas games was a complete wear-out, but my best mate's Dad knew someone who knew someone who said he could get us tickets. Got to the San Siro a bit later than ideal, found the little ticket booths where we had to collect our tickets, and joined the massive queue. Get to the front of the queue and I show the bloke a fax from some random Italian bloke in Enfield telling me that he's booked me three tickets in our names. Turns out the Ticket office bloke knows this fella from when he lived in London and he was our connection, so launches into a full blown memory lane discussion about Enfield Town, Waltham Cross, Cheshunt, and lots of other places he'd known people.

At this stage, with kick-off fast approaching, everyone behind us is being quite open about how they feel about our chat, because they're screaming at us/him to hurry-up. He then starts shouting back at them. All a bit awkward. I told him we didn't need the third ticket as our mate had had to miss the trip because of work. He then pulls down his shutter, comes out of the ticket office - everyone in the queue is going bananas at this point - and pushes his way through the crowd to a group of Japanese lads. Chats to them, points to us and asks if I'm happy with £100 or something. I told him I just wanted face value, but he insisted. The only time I've ever made money on a ticket. This is all about 5 minutes before kick-off, so it was quite stressful.

Loads of great players, one of the iconic grounds for the era and my first sample of Italian matchday. Good times. As Mel says though, all those Italia 90 stadiums are big, bare concrete stadia that are in a sorry state now.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024