Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 17:29 - May 23 with 829 viewsmfb_cufc

Full match replay of the Division 3 Play-off Final at Wembley

mfb

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 16:54 - May 24 with 783 viewsmfb_cufc

Looking at the team that got promoted in 1998, I wondered how many would get into our present team.
I would have had Emberson over either of last seasons keepers, but I would make him the equal of Gerken. At right-back again I find it hard to choose between Dunne and Jackson. At left back Betts wouldn't get in above Bramhall. As for the centre-backs, even though he was only on loan, and suspended for the Play-Off Final, I would definitely have Guy Branston in the present team, as he made all the difference to the 1998 team when signed in January. I would have no problem with Greene being in the present team, but whether he is better than Eastman or Prosser is debatable. The midfield is in my opinion the strong point of the present team, and even though the goals from Skelton and David Gregory would be useful, neither are better than the present midfielders. I liked Buckle, but again don't think he makes the present team. Wilkins played centre-back in the Play-off Final, but usually played midfield. His experience would be useful, but for me not better than today's midfielders. There could be an argument for latter day Duguid making the current side, but he was only 20 at the time, and just making his way in the game. As for the strikers, the legend Tony Adcock - who was missing from the Play-Off Final through injury - most definitely gets into the present team. In fact I would go as far to say we would have been in the automatic places with him here today. Sale was good in the air, and the pivotal point of the attack, but doesn't get in above Norris or Robinson. The same goes for Forbes and the £50,000 flop Neil Gregory.
In summary, even though I would be happy to have many of that 1998 team in the present team, I think only the two who weren't playing in Play-off Final, Branston and Adcock would definitely make today's line-up. Be interested to know other peoples thoughts.

Looking at the final table for the 1997-98 season makes interesting reading. Seven teams Notts County (who won the title), Torquay, Scarborough, Barnet, Chester, Hartlepool and Darlington are no longer League teams. At the bottom were Doncaster, who were in turmoil at the time. But the four teams directly above them were Brighton, Hull, Cardiff and Swansea. It was said in the Play-off Final commentary what a good defence we had, but the 60 goals we conceded was only good enough to be the 15th best defence in the division. Despite David Gregory being the only one to hit double figures, the 72 goals scored was second best, with only Champions Notts County scoring more.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 19:57]

mfb

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 18:09 - May 24 with 780 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 16:54 - May 24 by mfb_cufc

Looking at the team that got promoted in 1998, I wondered how many would get into our present team.
I would have had Emberson over either of last seasons keepers, but I would make him the equal of Gerken. At right-back again I find it hard to choose between Dunne and Jackson. At left back Betts wouldn't get in above Bramhall. As for the centre-backs, even though he was only on loan, and suspended for the Play-Off Final, I would definitely have Guy Branston in the present team, as he made all the difference to the 1998 team when signed in January. I would have no problem with Greene being in the present team, but whether he is better than Eastman or Prosser is debatable. The midfield is in my opinion the strong point of the present team, and even though the goals from Skelton and David Gregory would be useful, neither are better than the present midfielders. I liked Buckle, but again don't think he makes the present team. Wilkins played centre-back in the Play-off Final, but usually played midfield. His experience would be useful, but for me not better than today's midfielders. There could be an argument for latter day Duguid making the current side, but he was only 20 at the time, and just making his way in the game. As for the strikers, the legend Tony Adcock - who was missing from the Play-Off Final through injury - most definitely gets into the present team. In fact I would go as far to say we would have been in the automatic places with him here today. Sale was good in the air, and the pivotal point of the attack, but doesn't get in above Norris or Robinson. The same goes for Forbes and the £50,000 flop Neil Gregory.
In summary, even though I would be happy to have many of that 1998 team in the present team, I think only the two who weren't playing in Play-off Final, Branston and Adcock would definitely make today's line-up. Be interested to know other peoples thoughts.

Looking at the final table for the 1997-98 season makes interesting reading. Seven teams Notts County (who won the title), Torquay, Scarborough, Barnet, Chester, Hartlepool and Darlington are no longer League teams. At the bottom were Doncaster, who were in turmoil at the time. But the four teams directly above them were Brighton, Hull, Cardiff and Swansea. It was said in the Play-off Final commentary what a good defence we had, but the 60 goals we conceded was only good enough to be the 15th best defence in the division. Despite David Gregory being the only one to hit double figures, the 72 goals scored was second best, with only Champions Notts County scoring more.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 19:57]

Mick a very interesting summary.

I think that it is always difficult to compare different teams and comparisons from 22 years ago are always going to engender heated debate!

I actually agree wholeheartedly with your team selection. What does that say about the quality of the side I wonder then as opposed to now.

I reckon that providing we are allowed to play, the current team will prevail in the play offs. Exeter City will provide the stiffest opposition and providing we overcome them then the Final will be a formality!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 21:21 - May 24 with 753 viewsmfb_cufc

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 18:09 - May 24 by durham_exile

Mick a very interesting summary.

I think that it is always difficult to compare different teams and comparisons from 22 years ago are always going to engender heated debate!

I actually agree wholeheartedly with your team selection. What does that say about the quality of the side I wonder then as opposed to now.

I reckon that providing we are allowed to play, the current team will prevail in the play offs. Exeter City will provide the stiffest opposition and providing we overcome them then the Final will be a formality!!!!

Up the U's

You are right Durham, comparing players and teams from different era's is always difficult, especially as the team from 22 years ago had a more direct style, with the point of attack being Mark Sale's head. Something I never realised about Sale was that when Gary Rowett was manager of Birmingham, Derby and Stoke he had Sale as first team coach at each club.

I also agree with you regarding the play-offs, that I am confident are going to take place, that Exeter will be a tougher game than the final. I read recently that Exeter have no money problems, and would have been happy to carry on playing, especially as they had every chance of automatic promotion. It suggests they will still have a full strength team for any play-off games.

mfb

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:18 - May 25 with 719 viewsgerry_us

Whilst absolutely thrilled at the result I'm ashamed to say I commiserated with some friendly Torquay fans after the game. Not only did they lose but the game at Wembley had been switched to a Friday night. What a journey they had home after the game!
Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:55 - May 25 with 716 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:18 - May 25 by gerry_us

Whilst absolutely thrilled at the result I'm ashamed to say I commiserated with some friendly Torquay fans after the game. Not only did they lose but the game at Wembley had been switched to a Friday night. What a journey they had home after the game!

I didn't Gerry - although twas a poor game nobody deserved to win - because living in Somerset at the time my car was in a carpark which was full of west country ie, Torquay fans who seeing my U's scarf and car sticker were utterly foul and loathsome. They can stay in the National lg for me!

Mick, I cannot disagree with your team analysis at all. Spot on and indeed how difficult it is to compare eras. The current team are better but perhaps oppositions are too.

That brings me to the play offs.
Here I'm less confident than Mick or Durham. We are due to beat Exeter but they are a decent side, whereas assuming Cheltenham beat Northampton I'd be concerned as they were the best division one prepared side I saw against us this season.
Do we play home and away or neutrally once btw?

Moor Pinot

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 00:29 - May 26 with 680 viewswessex_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:55 - May 25 by Moor_Pinot

I didn't Gerry - although twas a poor game nobody deserved to win - because living in Somerset at the time my car was in a carpark which was full of west country ie, Torquay fans who seeing my U's scarf and car sticker were utterly foul and loathsome. They can stay in the National lg for me!

Mick, I cannot disagree with your team analysis at all. Spot on and indeed how difficult it is to compare eras. The current team are better but perhaps oppositions are too.

Here I'm less confident than Mick or Durham. We are due to beat Exeter but they are a decent side, whereas assuming Cheltenham beat Northampton I'd be concerned as they were the best division one prepared side I saw against us this season.

Apparently, on government advice, all the play-off matches will be hosted in Barnard Castle :-)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 07:52 - May 26 with 669 viewsLeadbelly

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 00:29 - May 26 by wessex_exile

Apparently, on government advice, all the play-off matches will be hosted in Barnard Castle :-)

Half time entertainment by the popular band Dominic Cummings and The Cabinet, playing their recent hits “One rule for you”, “Isolation” and “I don’t care”.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 07:56 - May 26 with 668 viewsMoor_Pinot

Priceless Wessex!
What a dreadful example of double standards yet again.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 12:17 - May 26 with 656 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:55 - May 25 by Moor_Pinot

Pinault - the semi final will be a two legged affair, but the final will be a single game. It has not been decided whether the venue will be Wembley yet.

The new Spurs stadium or the London Stadium could be the venue if we play Northampton of course.

If Cheltenham then maybe a Midland venue like Villa Park

Anything else unthinkable!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 12:22 - May 26 with 655 viewsdurham_exile

Steady on - don't think we are ready for that accolade in darkest Durham yet!!!

The former George Reynolds Arena in Darlington 27,500 all seater could be the Venue of course!!!!

Barnard Castle is a pleasant little Market Town unaccustomed to this publicity. I see that many spoof Trip Advisor posts have gone up today with a Cummings flavour.

Of Cummins engineering is a big employer in nearby Darlington!

The Town Council will doubtless arrange a blue plaque for DC in the town.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 12:58 - May 26 with 652 viewsLeadbelly

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 12:17 - May 26 by durham_exile

Pinault - the semi final will be a two legged affair, but the final will be a single game. It has not been decided whether the venue will be Wembley yet.

The new Spurs stadium or the London Stadium could be the venue if we play Northampton of course.

If Cheltenham then maybe a Midland venue like Villa Park

Anything else unthinkable!

Up the U's

As there will be no crowd why stage the playoff final in a major stadium? If we play Northampton then hold it at The Abbey in Cambridge. Cheaper for all concerned.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:58 - May 26 with 642 viewswessex_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 12:58 - May 26 by Leadbelly

As there will be no crowd why stage the playoff final in a major stadium? If we play Northampton then hold it at The Abbey in Cambridge. Cheaper for all concerned.

Indeed - so long as the pitch has a secure boundary to keep out unwanted spectators, sufficient facilities to accommodate the teams and their entourage, and the means to broadcast across the iFollow network (or $ky?), they could play the final anywhere.

Up the U's

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 20:25 - May 26 with 622 viewswessex_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 15:58 - May 26 by wessex_exile

Indeed - so long as the pitch has a secure boundary to keep out unwanted spectators, sufficient facilities to accommodate the teams and their entourage, and the means to broadcast across the iFollow network (or $ky?), they could play the final anywhere.

Actually, and on reflection - given the venue will earn next to nothing from the event, placing it at one of the larger PL sides (who can easily afford the loss) seems quite appropriate to me. Man Utd owe us a favour for going easy on them, make it Old Trafford

Up the U's

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:00 - May 26 with 611 viewsghughes11

There are a few, nice, empty stadiums here in NZ at the moment! We have increased our group sizes to 100 as well - so a final here in NZ with 100 fans inside the stadium, sounds like a winner to me!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:05 - May 26 with 608 viewsgerry_us

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:00 - May 26 by ghughes11

There are a few, nice, empty stadiums here in NZ at the moment! We have increased our group sizes to 100 as well - so a final here in NZ with 100 fans inside the stadium, sounds like a winner to me!

Can you put me up ???
Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:58 - May 26 with 605 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:00 - May 26 by ghughes11

Excellent idea, plus your Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is much better looking than ours!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 00:03 - May 27 with 603 viewswessex_exile

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 22:58 - May 26 by durham_exile

Excellent idea, plus your Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is much better looking than ours!

Up the U's

Angela Merkel is much better looking than our clown-faced idiot.

Up the U's

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 06:19 - May 27 with 595 viewsMoor_Pinot

Colchester 1 Torquay 0 1998 on 00:03 - May 27 by wessex_exile

Angela Merkel is much better looking than our clown-faced idiot.

Ha!
The man who always wanted to be PM but didn't want to do the job.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024