Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday 19:10 - Jul 31 with 15233 viewsQPR_John

Nm
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 20:57 - Jul 31 with 2953 viewsLythamR

i cant see any plausible reason why this penalty is deferred to next season yets wigans where the action requiring sanction is applied to this season

has the question been put to the EFL?
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:01 - Jul 31 with 2933 viewsquickpassrotter

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 19:36 - Jul 31 by BrianMcCarthy

I logged in thinking one of you wise people might be explain this, but I see it really is inexplicable. There's a point where shameful meets shameless and that's where the EFL live.

Unfortunately I think that the vast majority are not surprised by this. Yes, it's totally unacceptable but we all know how inept the EFL are with almost everything, including their overall decisions. It really is embarrassing - but we have gone well past that now. Not fit for purpose comes to mind.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:03 - Jul 31 with 2914 viewsHunterhoop

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 20:57 - Jul 31 by LythamR

i cant see any plausible reason why this penalty is deferred to next season yets wigans where the action requiring sanction is applied to this season

has the question been put to the EFL?

It makes absolutely no sense.

They broke the rules in the 17/18 season. It was uncovered towards the end of the 18/19 season. How can the punishment not be applied for the 19/20 season?!

Wigan broke the rules in 19/20 and get punished in year.

What this ruling says is do not go into administration or miss FFP by accounting honestly, just fiddle the books, and you can postpone punishment for years, potentially so there is no material punishment.

I’m also a little annoyed because I put a small bet on Wednesday getting relegated before the season started, purely on the basis I thought they’d get fined this year! Thought it had to be this year!
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:15 - Jul 31 with 2859 viewsted_hendrix

Is anyone really surprised at this outcome?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:41 - Jul 31 with 2763 viewsQPR_John

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:03 - Jul 31 by Hunterhoop

It makes absolutely no sense.

They broke the rules in the 17/18 season. It was uncovered towards the end of the 18/19 season. How can the punishment not be applied for the 19/20 season?!

Wigan broke the rules in 19/20 and get punished in year.

What this ruling says is do not go into administration or miss FFP by accounting honestly, just fiddle the books, and you can postpone punishment for years, potentially so there is no material punishment.

I’m also a little annoyed because I put a small bet on Wednesday getting relegated before the season started, purely on the basis I thought they’d get fined this year! Thought it had to be this year!

"Wigan broke the rules in 19/20 and get punished in year. "

Wigan did not break FFP but went into administration. I might be wrong but I think the punishment for going into administration has to be applied in the season it happened. I don't think there is any such rule for FFP.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:50 - Jul 31 with 2721 viewscpgerber

If it wasn’t for the gazillion euros at the top of the UEFA tier, time was right for a break-away league and clubs with integrity to start from scratch. No-one can do that now, cause UEFa will just crush you.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:50 - Jul 31 with 2721 viewsloftus77

Totally unfair, totally unjust and makes a mockery of the whole thing. Imagine what this board would be like tonight if we were Charlton.

But what can you do? As some have said, with my mercenary hat on, this kinda helps us a bit.

Now for Derby - and why not the Fakes (?) too...
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 21:51]
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:59 - Jul 31 with 2674 viewsLblock

A cynic would say they know the Charlton situation is proper murky and just a little bit of investigation may end up in, ooooh I dunno, a Luton style 20 point plus deduction..... so they are confident they can keep Charlton in their box.

Wigan is open and shut...Admin = 12 points.
Whats not open and shut there is who sanctioned what put them in that position

Atop of it all sits an organisation so unfit to run a competition it's untrue... they appear incompetent, arrogant, clueless and bordering on corrupt. Yet we bent over and took (are taking) our medicine. We are as foolish as the c0cks at the EFL

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 22:03 - Jul 31 with 2643 viewsBrianMcCarthy

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:59 - Jul 31 by Lblock

A cynic would say they know the Charlton situation is proper murky and just a little bit of investigation may end up in, ooooh I dunno, a Luton style 20 point plus deduction..... so they are confident they can keep Charlton in their box.

Atop of it all sits an organisation so unfit to run a competition it's untrue... they appear incompetent, arrogant, clueless and bordering on corrupt. Yet we bent over and took (are taking) our medicine. We are as foolish as the c0cks at the EFL

"Yet we bent over and took (are taking) our medicine. We are as foolish as the c0cks at the EFL"

We're not taking it, LB. The owners are.

And the fact that we are paying a fine is not affecting us year-on-year as the fine does not count against FFP.

What is affecting us is FFP itself, which of course Fernandes voted for. It probably would have passed anyway even if he voted against it, but at least we'd be on the right side of this morally.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 22:18 - Jul 31 with 2594 viewsHunterhoop

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:41 - Jul 31 by QPR_John

"Wigan broke the rules in 19/20 and get punished in year. "

Wigan did not break FFP but went into administration. I might be wrong but I think the punishment for going into administration has to be applied in the season it happened. I don't think there is any such rule for FFP.

I didn’t say or mean they broke FFP rules; they broke the rules of the league regarding administration (ironically put in place to prevent poor financial management!) and were punished in the year it occurred.

I get FFP breaches take longer to investigate, but this situation is ridiculous.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 22:45 - Jul 31 with 2512 viewsQPR_John

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 22:18 - Jul 31 by Hunterhoop

I didn’t say or mean they broke FFP rules; they broke the rules of the league regarding administration (ironically put in place to prevent poor financial management!) and were punished in the year it occurred.

I get FFP breaches take longer to investigate, but this situation is ridiculous.

I did not mean to imply you said Wigan broke FFP just pointing out the diffence in applying the punishment. Similarly I was not supporting the FL far from it. The sitation is ridiculous. Having reread your post I can see where I may have misunderstood your point.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 22:47]
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 22:51 - Jul 31 with 2491 viewsdaveB

It's a typical cop out decision from the EFL. The first article i read on this said they would have been safe anyway so thought it made sense to do it next year but have since seen that was nonsense and they would have gone down.

The 12 points are fair but if they had pulled their finger out and got this done months ago could and should have been applied this season. The timing of it is weasel like
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 23:29 - Jul 31 with 2427 viewsrsonist

Not to defend any part of this but to be clear, when we talk about the EFL doing whatever, the ruling is handed down by an independent disciplinary commission (see 90.3 here: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences that arbitrate the EFL's proposed sanction when it is rejected by the respondent.

As such the commission have the power to reduce or dilute the sanction. In the recent case of Birmingham breaching their agreed business plan the EFL appealed several times to only eventually get a reprimand out of them despite finally winning the case.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 00:38 - Aug 1 with 2349 viewsMatch82

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 21:59 - Jul 31 by Lblock

We are now set up to be a more or less sustainable football club which has spent the last five years learning our lessons and getting into that position, while reinvesting in our youth team, and our community. Not many other clubs can say that.

I hate FFP and everything it stands for. I hate the fact that we, of course, were the ones who got dinged for it. But...if it wasn't for that, there's no way we would be in the position we are today. It worked, just not the way it was meant to (and don't take that as an endorsement of FFP, which is an utterly fcked up system)
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 01:04 - Aug 1 with 2325 viewsVancouverHoop

The Football League's management style has always been bent as a four-penny-bit. Back in the day re-election to the league was done via the old chums network. Which is why Hartlepool got waved through year after, but Gateshead got kicked out first time of asking. Knowing whose palms you have to grease is an absolute necessity I'm afraid.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 01:59 - Aug 1 with 2287 viewsBoston

If you don't put your complaint in writing, it doesn't exist. Write to the EFL - in your hundreds of thousands.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 02:28 - Aug 1 with 2269 viewsstowmarketrange

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 20:54 - Jul 31 by QPR_John

Don't hold your breath. There is a world of difference betweeen considering and instigating

There is also a world of difference between the bigger clubs and the Charltons and Wigan’s in the EFL’s eyes.
Birmingham,Wednesday and Derby have all got away lightly at the smaller clubs expense.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 04:32 - Aug 1 with 2232 viewstimcocking

P!ss take. They make it up as they go along.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 07:15 - Aug 1 with 2145 viewsBrianMcCarthy

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 00:38 - Aug 1 by Match82

We are now set up to be a more or less sustainable football club which has spent the last five years learning our lessons and getting into that position, while reinvesting in our youth team, and our community. Not many other clubs can say that.

I hate FFP and everything it stands for. I hate the fact that we, of course, were the ones who got dinged for it. But...if it wasn't for that, there's no way we would be in the position we are today. It worked, just not the way it was meant to (and don't take that as an endorsement of FFP, which is an utterly fcked up system)

Well put, Match.

It's a really bad parent but we would've stayed a problem child without it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 07:34 - Aug 1 with 2118 viewsstevec

Apparently it’s taken 9 months to get to this decision, very convenient.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 08:06 - Aug 1 with 2055 viewsdistortR

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 07:34 - Aug 1 by stevec

Apparently it’s taken 9 months to get to this decision, very convenient.

natural cycle, mate.
9 months gestation spawns a bit of a shit.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 08:27 - Aug 1 with 1996 viewsswitchingcode

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 20:34 - Jul 31 by QPR_John

There is no way the FL could deduct 12 points from Derby to be applied this season knowing it would be no punishment

Had Wigan been relegated without a points deduction they would have started next season with a points deduction in league 1.They have done the opposite to Wednesday as they didn’t have the bottle to do the right thing and chose the softer option.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 08:32 - Aug 1 with 1979 viewsNorthernr

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 23:29 - Jul 31 by rsonist

Not to defend any part of this but to be clear, when we talk about the EFL doing whatever, the ruling is handed down by an independent disciplinary commission (see 90.3 here: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences that arbitrate the EFL's proposed sanction when it is rejected by the respondent.

As such the commission have the power to reduce or dilute the sanction. In the recent case of Birmingham breaching their agreed business plan the EFL appealed several times to only eventually get a reprimand out of them despite finally winning the case.

It's not the punishment it's the timing of it. There's no justification for deferring it to next season. It also seems reading the judgement that it was decided in June, when we all knew the case was taking place, so have Wednesday been playing through July knowing they're fine this season while Barnsley, Charlton, Wigan etc have been playing thinking there might be a chance they would be docked points immediately?

It's a mess.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 08:35 - Aug 1 with 1962 viewspaulparker

Does us a favour
With them docked 12 , Coventry, Wycombe , Rotherham in the league it’s gives us a chance to stay up while cutting our cloth again

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:15 - Aug 1 with 1767 viewsdaveB

Really the whole league is a shit show, rather than rushing the start of next season they should be spending the summer sorting their house out. Regionalise Leagues one and two, salary caps in place and rather than a new owners test make any new owner put a million pounds as a kind of deposit and they only get it back if they leave the club in a healthy place rather than let them walk away with the place on fire.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024