Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arsenal v Chelsea 15:24 - Aug 1 with 7730 viewsqpr_1968

FA cup final. how times have changed from watching the build up at 9.00 in the morning.
switching over from both sides, itv and bbc.
the one that sticks in my mind most other than our final in '82, is watford v everton in 1984 for some reason.
but anyway, not that anyone gives a shit, so i won't ask who you want to win, personally i cant stand both sides.

but going for them in south west london..2-1.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:54 - Aug 3 with 541 viewsPinnerPaul

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:04 - Aug 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought the foul for the peno was also a red in that he denied a goalscoring opportunity.

Covering defender plus he didn't have control of the ball led to the yellow.

No defender and control of the ball and defo red as was not a 'genuine attempt to play the ball' eg it was holding.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:58 - Aug 3 with 527 viewsPinnerPaul

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:08 - Aug 2 by Match82

Never really understood that rule though. How can you have denied a goalscoring opportunity if it's a penalty? To me that's different to outside the box where you have a free kick which more often than not CTN

Very good point - which is why they have (partly) addressed that with the law change this season. Thinking I guess is that anything that is not a 'genuine attempt for the ball' eg holding, rugby tackle etc is just taking a chance that pen might be missed.

One possible solution would be send off if pen missed, but yellow if scored but that gets a bit messy I think.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:57 - Aug 3 with 504 viewsNoelmc

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:54 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

Covering defender plus he didn't have control of the ball led to the yellow.

No defender and control of the ball and defo red as was not a 'genuine attempt to play the ball' eg it was holding.

But surely Paul, if Azpilicueta had not been holding on to Aubameyang for several yards both outside and inside the box there was no hope of the covering defender getting across and the ball would have been more under control.

How was that different to Luiz's foul on Sterling in the recent PL match, where he did receive a red?
Arsenal v Chelsea on 16:05 - Aug 3 with 499 viewsNoelmc

Arsenal v Chelsea on 14:58 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

Very good point - which is why they have (partly) addressed that with the law change this season. Thinking I guess is that anything that is not a 'genuine attempt for the ball' eg holding, rugby tackle etc is just taking a chance that pen might be missed.

One possible solution would be send off if pen missed, but yellow if scored but that gets a bit messy I think.

Actually I think the idea of a 'provisional red' (only given if a penalty is missed) is a fantastic idea. It means there is just one punishment, not two.

If Aubameyamg had missed on Saturday, Chelsea would have got off lightly with just a yellow.

It would also bring in some interesting tactics; in that penalties could be deliberately missed to get a player sent off. It would be fascinating to see what Arsenal would have done on Saturday. I suspect at 1-0 down the goal was probably more important to them.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 16:25 - Aug 3 with 477 viewsWatford_Ranger

Arsenal v Chelsea on 16:05 - Aug 3 by Noelmc

Actually I think the idea of a 'provisional red' (only given if a penalty is missed) is a fantastic idea. It means there is just one punishment, not two.

If Aubameyamg had missed on Saturday, Chelsea would have got off lightly with just a yellow.

It would also bring in some interesting tactics; in that penalties could be deliberately missed to get a player sent off. It would be fascinating to see what Arsenal would have done on Saturday. I suspect at 1-0 down the goal was probably more important to them.

Think it would be rare to deliberately miss in that situation.

Throws up the issue of suspending the player or not either way. Still not the worst idea.
Arsenal v Chelsea on 17:41 - Aug 3 with 419 viewsPinnerPaul

Arsenal v Chelsea on 15:57 - Aug 3 by Noelmc

But surely Paul, if Azpilicueta had not been holding on to Aubameyang for several yards both outside and inside the box there was no hope of the covering defender getting across and the ball would have been more under control.

How was that different to Luiz's foul on Sterling in the recent PL match, where he did receive a red?

Yes that's all true and why it was an arguable decision.

Back to the dreaded VAR argument - there is no right and wrong here - some refs would have gone red, some not - clearly its not a 'clear and obvious error' whichever way you go - hence VAR is redundant and one of the many reasons I would get rid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024