Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent 22:21 - Aug 1 with 5238 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've no idea if he was any good or not, but that's him now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/01/eddie-howe-leaves-relegated-bou

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:53 - Aug 3 with 1646 viewsrobith

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:37 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

Those are NET figures - Bournemouth gross = over £200M and Man City gross over 5 years = £800M+ - so not quite as 'frugal' as it first appears.

Finally, I'm not saying Mr Howe is a poor manager, far from it, just not the 'miracle' worker some think he is.

Looking at this , quick glance, tells you Wolves, Sheff Utd, Burnley all 'over' achieving if you like and Brighton, again against the 'perception' massively under achieving versus what they have spent.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-leagu

Wolves is a rogue one though - they're getting players below market value by signing guys all through the same agent
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 19:02 - Aug 3 with 1589 viewstraininvain

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:28 - Aug 2 by stainrods_elbow

Ridiculous - Howe took took Bournemouth to three promotions in five years, and kept a club with 11,000 crowds (give your head a wobble, Lee Hoos!) in the Premier League for another five seasons (who were even then only relegated because Sheff. Utd had a legal goal disallowed vs Aston Villa, which would have dropped them instead of the Cherries).

A ton of respect for Howe, who'd be a step up from Hodgson, if anything. If he's a risk, gimme danger!
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 17:32]

It’d be a risk mainly because of Hodgson’s record. I don’t think he’s ever been relegated from the top flight so he’s safe pair of hands.

As much as I like Howe, Palace would be rolling the dice by appointing him and sacking Hodgson.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 23:09 - Aug 3 with 1485 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 10:05 - Aug 2 by francisbowles

Brian he must be good to have lasted as long as he has and to have kept Bournemouth up for as long as he did. He also laid some of the foundations at Burnley that enabled Sean Dyche to take them forward.

Whilst Howe has undoubtedly been a good manager at Bournemouth (albeit with the backing of a Russian billionaire), it's a massive stretch to suggest that he laid the foundations for Dyche's success at Burnley.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 23:11 - Aug 3 with 1483 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I think the following article provides a balanced perspective on Howe's managerial career to date:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53628740
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 08:37 - Aug 4 with 1408 viewsDorse

They should have gone for Mark Hughes. Don't they know anything?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 08:53 - Aug 4 with 1390 viewsfrancisbowles

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 23:09 - Aug 3 by Benny_the_Ball

Whilst Howe has undoubtedly been a good manager at Bournemouth (albeit with the backing of a Russian billionaire), it's a massive stretch to suggest that he laid the foundations for Dyche's success at Burnley.

Why do you say that Benny?

8th and 13th is not too bad and Dyche got them up in his second season. Surely SD walked into a steady club and inherited a squad that was in decent shape. Not taking anything away from Sean, hence why I said SOME of the foundations.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 16:28 - Aug 4 with 1287 viewsPinnerPaul

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:44 - Aug 3 by daveB

has anyone said he is a miracle worker?
He did a very good job at Bournemouth, I think he'd do well at Palace but even if he didn't shouldn't diminish the job he's done at Bournemouth

If you want to paint Bournemouth as money bags and Wolves as over achievers it's hard to take that seriously. Wolves are spending a fortune but doing it very well.

Add wages into that league table and it would look very different

Everyone seems to think Wolves ARE over achievers and if you want to ignore the figures - fine. I didn't say Bournemouth were moneybags either - but just as ridiculous was someone posting above the gates of 11,000 - that has clearly nothing to do with it in the PL.

Finally wages - how do we know - its just guesswork.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:41 - Aug 4 with 1218 viewsslmrstid

Eddie Howe is clearly a good manager, no matter what fiscal support they've had they're still a small club for that level that would eventually drop from the top flight - thats just part of the natural sporting cycle - so to keep them there as long as he did is still some achievement.

Plenty of "bigger" names than him, at bigger clubs, have failed miserably and been relegated in the time they were in the top flight. In addition, Huddersfield are a similar size and only lasted two years. Mark Hughes has been shown up for what a poor manager he really is by how Southampton stormed up the league after they got rid of him.

I do wonder if he's the sort of manager though whose had the midas touch at his own "home" club, but would struggle to replicate it elsewhere. Also strikes me as the sort that might struggle if he jumps back in too soon - after all those years it wouldn't surprise me if the bloke needs a proper break before jumping back in.

Always seemed a good sort though, wish him well long term.
Login to get fewer ads

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 18:23 - Aug 4 with 1196 viewsdaveB

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 16:28 - Aug 4 by PinnerPaul

Everyone seems to think Wolves ARE over achievers and if you want to ignore the figures - fine. I didn't say Bournemouth were moneybags either - but just as ridiculous was someone posting above the gates of 11,000 - that has clearly nothing to do with it in the PL.

Finally wages - how do we know - its just guesswork.

Well every club has a wage bill in their accounts so would imagine you'd get it from that rather than guessing
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 18:48 - Aug 4 with 1172 viewsAntti_Heinola

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:41 - Aug 4 by slmrstid

Eddie Howe is clearly a good manager, no matter what fiscal support they've had they're still a small club for that level that would eventually drop from the top flight - thats just part of the natural sporting cycle - so to keep them there as long as he did is still some achievement.

Plenty of "bigger" names than him, at bigger clubs, have failed miserably and been relegated in the time they were in the top flight. In addition, Huddersfield are a similar size and only lasted two years. Mark Hughes has been shown up for what a poor manager he really is by how Southampton stormed up the league after they got rid of him.

I do wonder if he's the sort of manager though whose had the midas touch at his own "home" club, but would struggle to replicate it elsewhere. Also strikes me as the sort that might struggle if he jumps back in too soon - after all those years it wouldn't surprise me if the bloke needs a proper break before jumping back in.

Always seemed a good sort though, wish him well long term.

This decade's Alan Curbishley you mean? Possibly.

Bare bones.

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 22:06 - Aug 4 with 1127 viewsClive_Anderson

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 18:48 - Aug 4 by Antti_Heinola

This decade's Alan Curbishley you mean? Possibly.

I always thought Curbishley just got fed up with management rather than being incapable of making it elsewhere. He always looked knackered.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 02:59 - Aug 5 with 1099 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 08:53 - Aug 4 by francisbowles

Why do you say that Benny?

8th and 13th is not too bad and Dyche got them up in his second season. Surely SD walked into a steady club and inherited a squad that was in decent shape. Not taking anything away from Sean, hence why I said SOME of the foundations.

Because Howe was only at Burnley for 20 months and there is little evidence of him laying those foundations, other than the fact that he preceded Dyche. On that basis, you could just as easily attribute the foundations to Owen Coyle.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 3:09]
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 05:42 - Aug 5 with 1090 viewsMatch82

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:37 - Aug 3 by PinnerPaul

Those are NET figures - Bournemouth gross = over £200M and Man City gross over 5 years = £800M+ - so not quite as 'frugal' as it first appears.

Finally, I'm not saying Mr Howe is a poor manager, far from it, just not the 'miracle' worker some think he is.

Looking at this , quick glance, tells you Wolves, Sheff Utd, Burnley all 'over' achieving if you like and Brighton, again against the 'perception' massively under achieving versus what they have spent.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-leagu

Probably being a moron here but Bournemouth are ranked 8th on that site on what basis? I see them there in 8th place, but none of the columns actually seem sorted?

This also doesn't take into account wages which I'd argue have a bigger impact than transfer fees
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 09:55 - Aug 5 with 1005 viewsfrancisbowles

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 02:59 - Aug 5 by Benny_the_Ball

Because Howe was only at Burnley for 20 months and there is little evidence of him laying those foundations, other than the fact that he preceded Dyche. On that basis, you could just as easily attribute the foundations to Owen Coyle.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2020 3:09]

OK Benny, we beg to differ but for me Dyche didn't walk into a basket case of a club got them up in two seasons and therefore built on the foundations that were there.

There was a gap of a year between and Coyle and Howe, a relegation, a clear out of senior players and a sacking. So whilst EH didn't pull up any trees, in his season and a half plus two/three months of the third season, he did steady the ship and when he did leave it was stated as for personal reasons.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 11:28 - Aug 5 with 976 viewsPinnerPaul

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 18:23 - Aug 4 by daveB

Well every club has a wage bill in their accounts so would imagine you'd get it from that rather than guessing

Yes that's true, although you would still have to guess at the player part?

Usually accounts just list all salaries, from the biggest (which IS itemised) right through to the lowest.

Some like Man City have literally hundreds of employees so no easy way to find out what clubs are paying the players.

Would be very surprised if there was much difference outside the top 6 though.

Oh dear think we are going to have to add this to the ever growing 'Agree to disagree' file!
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 11:29 - Aug 5 with 973 viewsPinnerPaul

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 05:42 - Aug 5 by Match82

Probably being a moron here but Bournemouth are ranked 8th on that site on what basis? I see them there in 8th place, but none of the columns actually seem sorted?

This also doesn't take into account wages which I'd argue have a bigger impact than transfer fees

No you're not being a moron - looking at it more closely, I'm with you!

Still shows that Bournemouth spend roughly as much as other clubs outside top 6 though.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 18:08 - Aug 5 with 907 viewsCamberleyR

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 09:55 - Aug 5 by francisbowles

OK Benny, we beg to differ but for me Dyche didn't walk into a basket case of a club got them up in two seasons and therefore built on the foundations that were there.

There was a gap of a year between and Coyle and Howe, a relegation, a clear out of senior players and a sacking. So whilst EH didn't pull up any trees, in his season and a half plus two/three months of the third season, he did steady the ship and when he did leave it was stated as for personal reasons.

Agree. Howe also signed some good players for Burnley; Austin, Ings, Trippier, Vokes and Mee for starters.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 22:58 - Aug 5 with 861 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 09:55 - Aug 5 by francisbowles

Sorry but your facts are incorrect.

Burnley were promoted to the Premier League in 2009 under the guidance of Owen Coyle. He left in January 2010 to manage Bolton and was replaced by Brian Laws. Laws' arrival saw a swift downtown in form and Burnley were duly relegated to the championship in 2010. Laws was dismissed in December 2010 and replaced by Eddie Howe. Howe subsequently guided Burnley to 8th and 13th IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Hardly stirring stuff.

Howe was replaced by Sean Dyche in October 2012. Dyche steadied the ship with an 11th place finish in 2012/13 before getting them promoted the following season as runners-up. They were immediately relegated before Dyche got them promoted again in 2015/16, this time as champions. Burnley have been in the Premier League ever since under Dyche's stewardship.

Sorry but I'm giving the credit for Burnley's recent success to Dyche with some credit going to Owen Coyle for getting the ball rolling in 2008/09. I am not giving the credit to Howe simply because he was in the hotseat in the intervening years. That's like saying that Paolo Sousa, Jim Magilton and Paul Hart laid the foundations for Neil Warnock to win the championship with QPR.
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 10:28 - Aug 6 with 785 viewsfrancisbowles

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 22:58 - Aug 5 by Benny_the_Ball

Sorry but your facts are incorrect.

Burnley were promoted to the Premier League in 2009 under the guidance of Owen Coyle. He left in January 2010 to manage Bolton and was replaced by Brian Laws. Laws' arrival saw a swift downtown in form and Burnley were duly relegated to the championship in 2010. Laws was dismissed in December 2010 and replaced by Eddie Howe. Howe subsequently guided Burnley to 8th and 13th IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Hardly stirring stuff.

Howe was replaced by Sean Dyche in October 2012. Dyche steadied the ship with an 11th place finish in 2012/13 before getting them promoted the following season as runners-up. They were immediately relegated before Dyche got them promoted again in 2015/16, this time as champions. Burnley have been in the Premier League ever since under Dyche's stewardship.

Sorry but I'm giving the credit for Burnley's recent success to Dyche with some credit going to Owen Coyle for getting the ball rolling in 2008/09. I am not giving the credit to Howe simply because he was in the hotseat in the intervening years. That's like saying that Paolo Sousa, Jim Magilton and Paul Hart laid the foundations for Neil Warnock to win the championship with QPR.

As I say agree to differ but please explain what facts have I got wrong? As far as I can see we agree on the facts it's just we don't on Eddie Howe.

In the same manner that Camberley R has illustrated, Neil Warnock inherited a squad with Akos, Alie and Adel so some of the foundations were there!
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:02 - Aug 6 with 726 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 10:28 - Aug 6 by francisbowles

As I say agree to differ but please explain what facts have I got wrong? As far as I can see we agree on the facts it's just we don't on Eddie Howe.

In the same manner that Camberley R has illustrated, Neil Warnock inherited a squad with Akos, Alie and Adel so some of the foundations were there!

I don't agree that the acquisition of a handful of players is enough to warrant being considered a successful manager. It's what you do with them that counts. Howe clearly didn't get the best out of his squads because Burnley slumped to 13th in his first full season in charge. When he left Burnley they were 16th. Perhaps the personal problems played its part, nonetheless there's little evidence to support the notion that Eddie laid the foundations for the success that followed and his tenure at Burnley can only be described as disappointing at best.

As for Neil Warnock, the foundations were definitely not in place before he arrived. Adel was a luxury player who was on loan. Akos didn't feature heavily. Over the summer Warnock signed 7 players. Paddy Kenny, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill, Jamie Mackie and Bradley Orr provided the foundations that were sorely missing. Warnock also secured the permanent signature of Adel.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 17:13]
Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:58 - Aug 6 with 696 viewsfrancisbowles

Eddie Howe - Gone - Mutual Consent on 17:02 - Aug 6 by Benny_the_Ball

I don't agree that the acquisition of a handful of players is enough to warrant being considered a successful manager. It's what you do with them that counts. Howe clearly didn't get the best out of his squads because Burnley slumped to 13th in his first full season in charge. When he left Burnley they were 16th. Perhaps the personal problems played its part, nonetheless there's little evidence to support the notion that Eddie laid the foundations for the success that followed and his tenure at Burnley can only be described as disappointing at best.

As for Neil Warnock, the foundations were definitely not in place before he arrived. Adel was a luxury player who was on loan. Akos didn't feature heavily. Over the summer Warnock signed 7 players. Paddy Kenny, Shaun Derry, Clint Hill, Jamie Mackie and Bradley Orr provided the foundations that were sorely missing. Warnock also secured the permanent signature of Adel.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 17:13]

What facts did I get wrong?

All that we disagreed on is opinions, albeit I did use the words some foundations, which is fine but I don't believe there are any incorrect facts.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 9:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024