Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing 23:31 - Oct 5 with 4219 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53049
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 00:15 - Oct 6 with 3161 viewsqprxtc

Yup
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 0:39]
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 05:14 - Oct 6 with 2912 viewsstainrods_elbow

I think the incoming deals are promising and needed, though I agree we're still a central midfielder, a full back/centre back and probably a good goalkeeper short. I think we may do OK this season but probably won't be troubling the playoff berths.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 5:15]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 08:34 - Oct 6 with 2475 viewsplasmahoop

I can't remember who it was, but I'm sure one of the famous old managers said, you can coach the defence, you spend your money on forwards. Is that the theory here? Is it the case that on our budget can we buy better personnel defender /defensive midfielder wise than what we have already? The problem with our defence has sometimes been individual errors and sometimes not enough numbers back there and the back line being exposed.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 08:41 - Oct 6 with 2416 viewsRussian__Bot

Really are a glass half empty type these days

We've spent £1m on Amos who will now be far less likely to play the 10 role and more likely to play the holding two you want us to spend money on (so we have already-Amos- you might not like that signing but Warbs and Les are paid to make these decisions)

Ball/Cameron/Carrol. The other three also competing for those two spaces. Adding more there would be stacking!

Chair/Willock/Adomah/Thomas/BOS/Smyth are 6 for those three roles. Two each. Same as all round the pitch. And if BOS goes we are short. Plus Thomas is fragile/injury prone and they don't fancy Smyth

Fortunately Kakay and Dieng from the academy are new first choice for the start of this season. Our academy products in attacking positions like Shodipo and Oteh unfortunately don't cut it which is why we spend more of our limited funds replacing the 45 goals lost

But in case you missed it we have spent £2m on Dickie who looks an excellent signing

Barbet is first choice and it would cost a lot more than Willock did to get a ball playing centre back improvement and then that's a lot of wages for Barbet sitting on the bench.

Wallace, poor start, but he deserves games to get his flow back after so long out. And if Manning does sign great. If we sell him then there is still time to spend there and replace him

If you want to criticise and say we should spend this money elsewhere I think you should have to suggest an alternative player who is likely in the same cost bracket

Would be interesting to see them in two three years time if your suggested left back from Walsall or wherever turns out to be a better player than Willock
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 08:47 - Oct 6 with 2423 viewsbosh67

Are we still allowed to sign and sell players or is that it for now? I heard there are still two weeks to go?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 08:52 - Oct 6 with 2401 viewsrsonist

A bit negative for me, yeah.

We're close, but using the patented Chris Wilder Buying Strikers algorithm, I don't think we've yet qualified for an official Rack & Stack certification. If we'd signed Green as well then for sure.

With Manning banished and Hamalainen hypothetical we currently look short at LB in terms of further additions/neglected areas, but we've still to see how the former pans out, and still 10 days to buy domestically. We have a commitment to Masterson and Gubbins that another CB investment would probably impact upon - if we could invent an Adomah of CBs that would be short term, undemanding and would allow us to loan those two out that would be just swell. GL with that.

I don't disagree with where the areas of concern lie otherwise but it's 100% coaching not shopping that has to solve it. We've already spent WAY more than I was expecting.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 09:36 - Oct 6 with 2277 viewsNorthernr

1 - I really like Willock, and Adomah in truth, and I'm as excited as any other fan, but if I just sit here and say every signing's wonderful, I may as well write for the official site.
2 - Having gone all hot and heavy for the likes of Caulker, Mutch and Cousins in the past, I deliberately try and check myself and consider both the potential positives and negatives.
3 - There's five paragraphs of opinion in that piece, I reckon a thick four of them are positive about the signing and explaining why it needed to be made.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 09:41 - Oct 6 with 2244 viewsrobith

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 08:47 - Oct 6 by bosh67

Are we still allowed to sign and sell players or is that it for now? I heard there are still two weeks to go?

At the end of your first sentence, I thought you meant like are we morally allowed to sign players
Login to get fewer ads

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 09:53 - Oct 6 with 2201 viewsdaveB

I don't think you can now what a good window is until a few months down the line. These all look good on paper but they did last summer as well and not all of them worked out. Having 5 right wingers now seems overkill but I get they can play in different positions and not all of them will be here in a few weeks.

I've been banging the drum about Paul Smyth for 2 years now but he's never going to get a game, I sometimes think for all the talk about us developing players we don't always realise what is under our nose. We've got a bit lucky with Manning and Kakay, both of these would have been released but got a chance and took it, in Kakay's case he is now firmly first choice and the shiny new right back we bought on a long contract last year is sat in the stands. new isn't always better
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:08 - Oct 6 with 2130 viewsBklynRanger

I'd really like to see Smyth thought of now as a backup option to complement Dykes and Bonne. He's shown those instincts before. Most likely outcome is probably another loan though sadly.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:16 - Oct 6 with 2077 views2Thomas2Bowles

I haven't really taken much notice of the signing of Willock or Adomah but watched Adomah interview on the OS

Strikes me as like Bircham, QPR mad with about as much talent .. not a lot, well maybe a bit more.

I wish him well.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 10:43]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:19 - Oct 6 with 2071 viewsted_hendrix

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 09:53 - Oct 6 by daveB

I don't think you can now what a good window is until a few months down the line. These all look good on paper but they did last summer as well and not all of them worked out. Having 5 right wingers now seems overkill but I get they can play in different positions and not all of them will be here in a few weeks.

I've been banging the drum about Paul Smyth for 2 years now but he's never going to get a game, I sometimes think for all the talk about us developing players we don't always realise what is under our nose. We've got a bit lucky with Manning and Kakay, both of these would have been released but got a chance and took it, in Kakay's case he is now firmly first choice and the shiny new right back we bought on a long contract last year is sat in the stands. new isn't always better

But you don't know he's never gonna get a game do you?

He's been at QPR for what three Years under various Managers and been put out on loan I believe twice.
There's a reason for that.
Trying to be polite here but nobody on this MB is involved in the day to day running of the club, nobody on this MB watches our players training or has any inkling of what goes on behind the scenes with the players.
Paul Smyth has been with us long enough now to be a regular on the team sheet, he's not a regular on the team sheet for a reason/reasons that only our Manager and previous Managers and back room staff know.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:20 - Oct 6 with 2053 views2Thomas2Bowles

Pisses me off that Smyth really wants to stay and given a break when Manning just wants out.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:27 - Oct 6 with 2039 viewsrsonist

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 09:36 - Oct 6 by Northernr

1 - I really like Willock, and Adomah in truth, and I'm as excited as any other fan, but if I just sit here and say every signing's wonderful, I may as well write for the official site.
2 - Having gone all hot and heavy for the likes of Caulker, Mutch and Cousins in the past, I deliberately try and check myself and consider both the potential positives and negatives.
3 - There's five paragraphs of opinion in that piece, I reckon a thick four of them are positive about the signing and explaining why it needed to be made.

Of course, we're only talking about minor emphases really. I guess the Adomah piece felt to me like negatives framed in a positive and Willock's vice versa? Willock over all the other signings bar Dickie is What We Should Be Doing, in my opinion.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:40 - Oct 6 with 1966 viewsrsonist

I thought otherwise beforehand with everything crossed for Thomas (others for Smyth) but now it's done I must admit you would have had to have been a very confident, probably even idealistic man to have said Thanks But No Thanks to Adomah in retrospect.

Still, it's a more uphill path but not a blocked one.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:56 - Oct 6 with 1898 viewsfrancisbowles

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:19 - Oct 6 by ted_hendrix

He's been at QPR for what three Years under various Managers and been put out on loan I believe twice.
Trying to be polite here but nobody on this MB is involved in the day to day running of the club, nobody on this MB watches our players training or has any inkling of what goes on behind the scenes with the players.
Paul Smyth has been with us long enough now to be a regular on the team sheet, he's not a regular on the team sheet for a reason/reasons that only our Manager and previous Managers and back room staff know.

Unfortunately, his loans after bright starts were not very convincing as he was injured for most of them. I don't think he made the bench for Wycombe's play off final, even though I believe he was over the injuries by then.

He has pace and ability but is that enough in modern day football where teams are coached in closing down space and are so physical, athletic and able to crowd out and cover for each other? Chair is a similar height but has a broader and stronger build and he bounces off opponents sometimes, especially when the ball is off the ground.

I believe that Smyth could provide something as a bit part player, mainly off the bench but I struggle to see him playing regular first team football at this level.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:59 - Oct 6 with 1884 viewsqprd

Strikes me as a perfect Warburton “good academy education” player

Came through arsenal academy, “played” at Benfica

Not really many professional experiences to his name at age 22 (although tbf the benfica b team isn’t like English reserve football as they play in second division )

Bothered by the fact that he didn’t play at wba . Has a whiff of matt smith (Man City), Amos and Jack Clarke to him... but I also like that he backed himself to seek out first team football in Portugal
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:06 - Oct 6 with 1861 viewsderbyhoop

2 good signings although I have reservations about Adomah, based, primarily, on his age.

I'm not sure we are yet in a position to strengthen the other areas mentioned. Cameron is clearly on his last legs and Ball doesn't offer quite the same physical presence. Hopefully, Dickie will turn out to be as good as he has looked in his first 4 games and as he and Barbet build a better understanding, we may well concede less this season. Less than 70 would be quite an improvement.

It does signal the end for Shodipo, Oteh and, probably, Smyth.
I'm hoping the scouting system will spend the rest of this season trying to find replacements for Big Geoff and Wallace.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:26 - Oct 6 with 1804 viewsrsonist

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:59 - Oct 6 by qprd

Strikes me as a perfect Warburton “good academy education” player

Came through arsenal academy, “played” at Benfica

Not really many professional experiences to his name at age 22 (although tbf the benfica b team isn’t like English reserve football as they play in second division )

Bothered by the fact that he didn’t play at wba . Has a whiff of matt smith (Man City), Amos and Jack Clarke to him... but I also like that he backed himself to seek out first team football in Portugal

This says as much if not more about the myopia of a kneejerk anti-academy line as it does Willock in fairness.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 15:45]
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:41 - Oct 6 with 1764 viewsdaveB

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 10:19 - Oct 6 by ted_hendrix

Your right I don't know but would seem unlikely as we have just signed 2 right wingers and already had Bright and Thomas so I think his chances are limited. I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

You may well be right and there are reasons we don't know as to why he's not played but I just saw when he got a chance in Holloways last year he looked very exciting and then never seen again. To win young player of the year ahead of Eze and Bright that year should suggest he had something about him. Even under Holloway he'd be tearing Derby apart one minute then not seen again for a few weeks although Ollie did the same with Eze, Chair and Bright as well.

I'd compare him to Kakay as I thought he looked promising at the start under McCLaren but was then bombed out for 18 months, managers and backroom staff seemed to know then that he wasn't good enough but now he's our first choice right back replacing two right backs we spent money on. I just think for a club who need to make the most of the players we have it's frustrating that Ferdinand talks a lot about not blocking the pathway to the first team for youngsters but we seem to keep doing exactly that.

Should add this isn't any slight on Adomah or Wilock who may well turn our to be good signings and be very good for us
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:43 - Oct 6 with 1755 viewsW7Ranger

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:06 - Oct 6 by derbyhoop

2 good signings although I have reservations about Adomah, based, primarily, on his age.

I'm not sure we are yet in a position to strengthen the other areas mentioned. Cameron is clearly on his last legs and Ball doesn't offer quite the same physical presence. Hopefully, Dickie will turn out to be as good as he has looked in his first 4 games and as he and Barbet build a better understanding, we may well concede less this season. Less than 70 would be quite an improvement.

It does signal the end for Shodipo, Oteh and, probably, Smyth.
I'm hoping the scouting system will spend the rest of this season trying to find replacements for Big Geoff and Wallace.

Paul Furlong signed at 32

Clint Hill signed at 32

Shaun Derry signed at 32

Ray Wilkins signed at 33

On top of that, Adomah has more games under his belt at this stage of his career than any of the above players did. So fitness levels will be good and is also clearly not injury prone. Low risk signing money wise. Great experience at this level.

Even if he's used largely as an impact sub, I think that's a great option to have.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 12:11 - Oct 6 with 1688 viewskensalriser

Also Ainsworth joined age 30 and two seasons later was runner up POY and joint top scorer.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 12:39 - Oct 6 with 1590 viewstimcocking

Blimey, another one. Didn't expect us to sign almost a whole new team. Fingers crossed for him and us.

Perhaps suggests they're somewhat resigned to losing Bright?
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 12:42]
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 13:42 - Oct 6 with 1399 viewsEalingHoop81

Personally I think we have had a great window. We’ve replaced an absolute superstar in the making with a mix of other young hungry players who could all be worth far more than we have paid in a couple of years time. As I posted at the weekend the balance looked wrong in the side for the last few games with the left wing and left back offering very little going forward. These signings will redress the balance with at least two good options for the left wing. I expect Wallace will improve with a run of games too.

I also like Smyth and despite the views on here about him not being given the chances of Eze and Chair I actually just think the club and Smyth have been unlucky. As with both Eze and ChAir they have given him lower league experience onloan to help him develop through playing men’s football week in week out. Unfortunately in both seasons he’s picked up injuries that he has struggled to get back to playing regularly from.

The other issue with Smyth is whether he can physically cut it as a winger as he is pretty slight. I think he’s more in the Owen mould. The issue being is that no one plays with a 2 up front big man little man combination any more. Back in the 90s he’s be playing in a 2 regularly.
Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 13:45 - Oct 6 with 1394 viewsEGRanger

Willock added to QPR’s attacking rack and stack — Signing on 11:41 - Oct 6 by daveB

Your right I don't know but would seem unlikely as we have just signed 2 right wingers and already had Bright and Thomas so I think his chances are limited. I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

You may well be right and there are reasons we don't know as to why he's not played but I just saw when he got a chance in Holloways last year he looked very exciting and then never seen again. To win young player of the year ahead of Eze and Bright that year should suggest he had something about him. Even under Holloway he'd be tearing Derby apart one minute then not seen again for a few weeks although Ollie did the same with Eze, Chair and Bright as well.

I'd compare him to Kakay as I thought he looked promising at the start under McCLaren but was then bombed out for 18 months, managers and backroom staff seemed to know then that he wasn't good enough but now he's our first choice right back replacing two right backs we spent money on. I just think for a club who need to make the most of the players we have it's frustrating that Ferdinand talks a lot about not blocking the pathway to the first team for youngsters but we seem to keep doing exactly that.

Should add this isn't any slight on Adomah or Wilock who may well turn our to be good signings and be very good for us

Bombed out might be a bit harsh on Kakay - he gained invaluable experience at other clubs - I think I saw his debut against Palace when he was clearly overrun.

I would like to think Ramsey who gave him his debut has been monitoring his progress since and advising our new managers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024