Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Heatons kind gift. 13:29 - Oct 10 with 2029 viewsPaddyhoops

Great story from the Housemartins' Paul Heaton who donated a shed load of money to the redundant workers of Q magazine.
A shining diamond in the steaming pile of shite that marks the times we're living.
Covid 0.
Heaton 4.
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 13:39 - Oct 10 with 1995 viewslightwaterhoop

Strange i was just listening to a beautiful south CD for the first time in years and then went on LFW straight after and saw this.Good on you Paul.
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 13:44 - Oct 10 with 1975 viewsGloucs_R

The Beautiful South concerts were often attended by the Sheffield United hooligan group 'The Blades Business Crew' as Paul Heaton was once a member. Heaton even wrote the preface in a book by one of the Blades 'Top Boys'. You wouldn't have thought it was his bag when you listen to the music he came out with but it takes all sorts....

He once came down to Loftus Road with their mob.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 14:15 - Oct 10 with 1906 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 13:44 - Oct 10 by Gloucs_R

The Beautiful South concerts were often attended by the Sheffield United hooligan group 'The Blades Business Crew' as Paul Heaton was once a member. Heaton even wrote the preface in a book by one of the Blades 'Top Boys'. You wouldn't have thought it was his bag when you listen to the music he came out with but it takes all sorts....

Surprising also because 'London 0 Hull 4' contained the words "Take Jesus — Take Marx — Take Hope" on the inner sleeve.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:10 - Oct 10 with 1828 viewsderbyhoop

I'm sad to see the demise of Q.

I've been a subscriber since the late 90s and been introduced to so many artists that I wouldn't have heard of without them:-

PJ Harvey, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and TV On the Radio in the early days
To
Sharon Van Etten and Big Moon in recent times

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:26 - Oct 10 with 1789 viewsBoston

The Surrey branch of the Firm?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:26 - Oct 10 with 1791 viewsizlingtonhoop

They were crap at Brixton academy, kate 80s

Stomped off after beer throwing, and, according to his PA, whose number a bouncer gave me, being called a fat poof...

Housemartins fuc King great live tho
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:33 - Oct 10 with 1769 viewsngbqpr

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 14:15 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Surprising also because 'London 0 Hull 4' contained the words "Take Jesus — Take Marx — Take Hope" on the inner sleeve.

I knew him for a couple of years when I was at uni in Hull. We talked as much football as music. Top bloke. Was very much only on the fringes of the BBC.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 17:10 - Oct 10 with 1677 viewsBlackCrowe

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:10 - Oct 10 by derbyhoop

I've been a subscriber since the late 90s and been introduced to so many artists that I wouldn't have heard of without them:-

To

I stopped Q years ago but still get Mojo delivered on a monthly written - consistently excellent writing and perspectives and reviews.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 17:13 - Oct 10 with 1670 viewsizlingtonhoop

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:26 - Oct 10 by izlingtonhoop

Stomped off after beer throwing, and, according to his PA, whose number a bouncer gave me, being called a fat poof...

From the Jam stomped off Islington Academy a few years ago, due to beer throwing.

They were fuc king drenched...

Bit disappointing at the time, quite funny looking back on it now tho.
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 18:16 - Oct 10 with 1610 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:33 - Oct 10 by ngbqpr

I knew him for a couple of years when I was at uni in Hull. We talked as much football as music. Top bloke. Was very much only on the fringes of the BBC.

Good to hear.

And a great gesture.

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 18:34 - Oct 10 with 1578 viewshamptonhillhoop

I was at that gig, it was a bit of a flounce. Saw them in a tent at V festival quite a few years back and they were excellent though.
Agree, Housemartins were excellent live
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 18:38 - Oct 10 with 1573 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Housemartins were class live. Great interaction with the audience.

Saw The Beautiful South in a weekend festival somewhere in England once. I don't think I've ever bought one of their records but they were seriously impressive.

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 18:47 - Oct 10 with 1544 viewsNW5Hoop

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 18:38 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Housemartins were class live. Great interaction with the audience.

Saw The Beautiful South in a weekend festival somewhere in England once. I don't think I've ever bought one of their records but they were seriously impressive.

And Ted Kessler, the recipient of this largesse on behalf of his former colleagues at Q is, of course, a QPR season ticket holder.
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 19:05 - Oct 10 with 1519 viewsDiscodroids

I read the Steve Cowans Blades Business crew aut- bio about ten years ago.

I seem to recall that Heaton Wasn't a member of the BBC but employed the firm as secruity at his gigs. QPR Did get a mention in the book and if my memory is correct, a bloke called 'Greg the dwarf sawn off football hooligan' was mentioned.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 19:46 - Oct 10 with 1455 viewsGloucs_R

The comments I posted above were not mine.... Taken from an article I read as I remembered him getting mentioned in said book too

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 21:54 - Oct 10 with 1354 viewsLblock

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 19:05 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

I seem to recall that Heaton Wasn't a member of the BBC but employed the firm as secruity at his gigs. QPR Did get a mention in the book and if my memory is correct, a bloke called 'Greg the dwarf sawn off football hooligan' was mentioned.

Who on earth could that be?!?!????!!

Read the book and it’s the usual “there was 30 of us and 2,000 of them it we still stood” hyperbole
Heaton does get noted as being a face on the firm

The BBC had an embarrassing moment on the edge of the Uxbridge Road and Bloemfontein many years back there may really was a 20 of us 200 of them situation. Classic when that equation was worked out.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 22:19 - Oct 10 with 1308 viewsKiwi76

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 15:10 - Oct 10 by derbyhoop

To

Agree with that Derby.
Kept sub going after returning back to NZ & miss its arrival in letterbox.
Bauer too powerful in the magazine space & killed off approx 80% of all NZ titles at beginning of lockdown in Mar/Apr.
Know it’s diminishing returns as habits change but sad to see Q go
& great gesture from Mr Heaton
[Post edited 10 Oct 2020 22:23]
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 20:42 - Oct 11 with 1039 viewsBoston

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 19:05 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

I've never read any of those books, nor watched anything about them. Are there any that are genuinely worth a read, witty, observational, not packed with bullshite?

The only time I ever remember delving into that sort of genre was about a 100(!) years ago, a little paperback called Skinhead. I was 12/13, book was about some fictional East London (Poplar?), geezer called Joe. I recall thinking how great it would be down the Rangers if we could terrorize other clubs, aah well.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Paul Heatons kind gift. on 23:11 - Oct 11 with 929 viewsPeterHucker

I was at that gig too!
They walked off halfway through the encore of I'll Sail This Ship Alone and guitarist Dave Rotheray stayed onstage to call all the audience a lot of rude names.
I was down the front and there was a bad atmosphere from the start. People were shouting out for Housemartins songs and instead of laughing it off Heaton got the hump about it. So people just did it even more for the rest of the night!!

Several years later I ended up in a hotel bar in Kilburn High Street drinking with Paul Heaton and some of the other Beautiful South people. It was the day after we beat Palace 6-0 to stay up and I was still wearing my QPR top. Beautiful South had just played at Wembley Arena and were staying at that hotel. I kept trying to ask him questions about music & songwriting but he just wanted to talk about football.
Paul Heatons kind gift. on 02:14 - Oct 13 with 673 viewsmarkrtid

To the world's greatest mom

'Let Love Speak Up Itself'

What a voice.

Peace
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024