Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League changes 12:56 - Oct 11 with 19230 viewsGloucs_R

http://news.sky.com/story/premier-leagues-major-clubs-propose-shrinking-top-flig

Trying to reduce it to 18 clubs, talk of a professional B League....

The rich getting richer

Poll: Are we staying up?

Premier League changes on 10:45 - Oct 12 with 1874 viewsSt_Pollock

Premier League changes on 10:37 - Oct 12 by QPR_John

It might be the same route but I doubt we would make the same mistakes. Anyway it is not a case of the new proposed rules preventing us but more preventing any team outside the chosen few.

"It might be the same route but I doubt we would make the same mistakes."

Don't you get it?

It's impossible to become a rich man/group's play thing without killing the soul of a club.

The mistakes weren't what players we purchased or that God awful badge, the mistake was letting the club be taken over by men of such wealth.

Even if 10/11 and 'Zamora Day' were successes (and there's a case to make that the latter was anything but), the soul of the club was already dying/dead.

***edit***

Taken from Joe Hylton's obituary for Russell Moore;

"No one knew that Russell couldn't afford a match day ticket, he would sit on the wall in South Africa Road near the chap who sells QPR badges, just to savior the pre-match atmosphere and to talk to Rangers fans as they went into the ground. Then after the match was over, you'd see Russell walking around, just like many of us do, enjoying the post match chat as many of us do ...!"

That's what that era was about to me. Lifelong fans being priced out and what the club had stood for for a number of decades being killed to makeway for 'success'.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 10:49]
Premier League changes on 10:48 - Oct 12 with 1872 viewsstevec

Premier League changes on 10:34 - Oct 12 by St_Pollock

Look how quickly the majority of our fans embraced the changes and 'success' brought to us by the rich boys.

We sold our soul and killed everything good about QPR and it was obvious what was happening and yet the fans still went, bought shirts and waved their shiny, mass produced flags.

Even today, when this subject comes up, people still bemoan the fact that new rules may prevent us from taking the same route again...

Which is exactly why we need a wage cap, it stops this stuff in its tracks and instills an understanding that if you haven't got it you don't spend it.

I hate the likes of Liverpool and Man U, they began stitching football up long before Sky aided and abetted them. But at the same time, the smaller clubs have to stop playing into their hands.
Premier League changes on 11:07 - Oct 12 with 1810 viewsSt_Pollock

Premier League changes on 10:48 - Oct 12 by stevec

Which is exactly why we need a wage cap, it stops this stuff in its tracks and instills an understanding that if you haven't got it you don't spend it.

I hate the likes of Liverpool and Man U, they began stitching football up long before Sky aided and abetted them. But at the same time, the smaller clubs have to stop playing into their hands.

Fans honestly need to decide if 'success' or culture is more important to them.

In 2020 QPR are not going to be a successful club without the input of an obscene amount of money and the culture of the club will die in the process.

I've said it a few times on here, but if you're that desperate for success then the options are limited but clear: you need to support another team.
Premier League changes on 11:14 - Oct 12 with 1804 viewsenfieldargh

Premier League changes on 22:52 - Oct 11 by St_Pollock

2 examples in 27 years... And both one off.

and Blackburn kind of bought it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Premier League changes on 11:21 - Oct 12 with 1781 viewsdaveB

Premier League changes on 10:35 - Oct 12 by terryb

In my view there are MANY things wrong with this proposal, but there are some points that I would find hard to argue against.

1) Reduction to 18 clubs. Personally, I would like the number of clubs reduced in the EFL divisions. This could be done without losing clubs by regionalising Division Two (thus having four divisions in the EFL)

2) The play offs reverting to how they were originally.

3) No Premier teams in the League Cup. Many on this board & elsewhere have been in support of this for a few years.

What I will never be able to accept, is that any organisation should be dictated to by a minority. I do expect though, that the "big 6" will have enough support from other Premier clubs. I can't envisage Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Villa, Newcasrle or Wolves opposing them. In their own minds they will be voting for Premier perpetuity. Leeds & Palace may also be in that group.

I'm also greatly against the inclusion of "B" teams in the EFL, but I expect this to eventually happen as the price of accepting Premier payments.

I'm interested in what Lee Hoos has to say about Parry's quote that 75% of EFL clubs support the change. I would think that they were not in pocession of the full proposals, even if they were consulted at all.

Changing the playoffs is a killer, the Premier League teams will just stay up every year and the Championship will just die without the battle for 6th place meaning something.
Premier League changes on 11:27 - Oct 12 with 1767 viewsSt_Pollock

Premier League changes on 11:21 - Oct 12 by daveB

Changing the playoffs is a killer, the Premier League teams will just stay up every year and the Championship will just die without the battle for 6th place meaning something.

That's not whats always happened when the Play-Offs were introduced in 86/87 in the same format and the race for 5th will become the new battle.
Premier League changes on 11:48 - Oct 12 with 1710 viewsThe_Beast1976

Premier League changes on 10:45 - Oct 12 by St_Pollock

"It might be the same route but I doubt we would make the same mistakes."

Don't you get it?

It's impossible to become a rich man/group's play thing without killing the soul of a club.

The mistakes weren't what players we purchased or that God awful badge, the mistake was letting the club be taken over by men of such wealth.

Even if 10/11 and 'Zamora Day' were successes (and there's a case to make that the latter was anything but), the soul of the club was already dying/dead.

***edit***

Taken from Joe Hylton's obituary for Russell Moore;

"No one knew that Russell couldn't afford a match day ticket, he would sit on the wall in South Africa Road near the chap who sells QPR badges, just to savior the pre-match atmosphere and to talk to Rangers fans as they went into the ground. Then after the match was over, you'd see Russell walking around, just like many of us do, enjoying the post match chat as many of us do ...!"

That's what that era was about to me. Lifelong fans being priced out and what the club had stood for for a number of decades being killed to makeway for 'success'.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 10:49]

With you there.

I gave up my season ticket and stopped attending anything more than a handful of games a season not long after Ecclestone and Briatore came in because I could see where it was headed and I didn't like it
Premier League changes on 12:32 - Oct 12 with 1655 viewsdavman

Just remember the sense of relief when Harvey moved on. What is it about Football and Crass Stupidity at the highest level? The highest jobs in Government are thankless jobs, so there is some reason in my head why we get the apparently incompetent, but surely jobs in football are things that people want to do, so why do we end up with these idiots?

Or, is it that they are money men, good at that job, but with no affinity for the game itself?

It is genuinely heart breaking to see the game descend into this - explaining to my son that we have zero chance of every competing like we were when I was his age was hard work. Still, at least he recognised that winning League One or the Championship is as good as winning the major honours, especially as it'll only happen once or twice in his life time (if at all!).

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Premier League changes on 12:35 - Oct 12 with 1647 viewsSt_Pollock

Premier League changes on 11:48 - Oct 12 by The_Beast1976

With you there.

I gave up my season ticket and stopped attending anything more than a handful of games a season not long after Ecclestone and Briatore came in because I could see where it was headed and I didn't like it

Likewise, I missed a considerable amount of matches as I wasn't willing to see the club I love die in front of my eyes.

I may have missed some fleeting moments of 'success' but I can live with that.
Premier League changes on 12:35 - Oct 12 with 1648 viewspaulparker

Rick Parry has to be the worst EFL chairmen going and that’s some achievement considering the competition
To be honest I couldn’t care less if QPR are in the premier league bar a few games with warnock in charge it was fcuking miserable, I sincerely hope there’s a lot of clubs now plotting to breakaway from the EFL , We could carry on with the league cup & invite the old firm , and go back to divisions one, two , three & four , Even have terraces back with cheaper tickets etc
Let the 18 have their league it would be as dull as fcuk

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Premier League changes on 13:26 - Oct 12 with 1579 viewsQPR_John

Premier League changes on 11:07 - Oct 12 by St_Pollock

Fans honestly need to decide if 'success' or culture is more important to them.

In 2020 QPR are not going to be a successful club without the input of an obscene amount of money and the culture of the club will die in the process.

I've said it a few times on here, but if you're that desperate for success then the options are limited but clear: you need to support another team.

So you are saying any successful club will lose its culture. Is it really a binary choice. When we go to matches the first thing surely is that we want the club to win that is another way of saying we want the club to be successful. When we want the club to win are we also saying then we are happy for the club to lose its culture.
Premier League changes on 13:27 - Oct 12 with 1583 viewsR_from_afar

Premier League changes on 09:27 - Oct 12 by eastside_r

Not a lot I can add that hasn't already been said about this Trojan horse.

Nicely tucked in there is the removal of loan restrictions which is an obvious proxy for feeder clubs.

"Trojan horse" are the exact words I was about to type in connection with this. This plan is outrageous, Parry is like a double agent!

Now it becomes clear why he said months ago that Premier League teams giving money to EFL clubs struggling because of the impact of the pandemic was not the way forward. That aroused my suspicions at the time and now it becomes clear what he has been cooking up.

With his Premiership background he always looked like an unsuitable choice for the EFL role and now look where we are.

This truly is a new low and Parry and the two Prem clubs should be thoroughly ashamed. This is like some Faustian pact.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Premier League changes on 13:27 - Oct 12 with 1579 viewspaulparker

Premier League changes on 13:27 - Oct 12 by R_from_afar

"Trojan horse" are the exact words I was about to type in connection with this. This plan is outrageous, Parry is like a double agent!

Now it becomes clear why he said months ago that Premier League teams giving money to EFL clubs struggling because of the impact of the pandemic was not the way forward. That aroused my suspicions at the time and now it becomes clear what he has been cooking up.

With his Premiership background he always looked like an unsuitable choice for the EFL role and now look where we are.

This truly is a new low and Parry and the two Prem clubs should be thoroughly ashamed. This is like some Faustian pact.

Surely there is a massive conflict of interest apart from anything else. Rick Parry, Liverpool supporter and former Liverpool chief executive backing, in his position as chairman of The EFL, a proposal put forward by Liverpool FC.

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Premier League changes on 13:41 - Oct 12 with 1562 viewsQPRSteve

If I wrote what I think should happen to the likes of Parry then this post would be deleted.
Premier League changes on 15:16 - Oct 12 with 1477 viewsSt_Pollock

Premier League changes on 13:26 - Oct 12 by QPR_John

So you are saying any successful club will lose its culture. Is it really a binary choice. When we go to matches the first thing surely is that we want the club to win that is another way of saying we want the club to be successful. When we want the club to win are we also saying then we are happy for the club to lose its culture.

I'm saying that for QPR to have any success will require obscene amounts of financial input and clubs who have 'benefited' from such input have, with the exception of Blackburn Rovers but that was on an entirely different scale, lost their culture.

We will never win the league and the cups aren't even a realistic scenario anymore.

In the last 20 years 2 clubs outside the now accepted big 6 have won the League Cup.

In the last 32 years the FA Cup went outside the big 6 on just 3 occasions

Real success for QPR in 2020 is staying in the Championship and reaching the round before Qtr finals in both cup competition.

Even reaching the Play-offs is slowly becoming less likely each year and although we may make them once every now and then, the reality is that if we got promoted it would end in humiliation and within 2-3 years any great team we assembled would be broken up and not always through choice.

Is it wishing for the club to lose their soul by wishing for success? Absolutely not, but there is a big difference in being a hopeless dreamer and someone who hopes we achieve 'success' via financial doping knowing what it will end up costing.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 15:17]
Premier League changes on 15:21 - Oct 12 with 1472 viewskensalriser

Disaster capitalism in full effect.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Premier League changes on 16:21 - Oct 12 with 1391 viewsQPR_John

Premier League changes on 15:16 - Oct 12 by St_Pollock

I'm saying that for QPR to have any success will require obscene amounts of financial input and clubs who have 'benefited' from such input have, with the exception of Blackburn Rovers but that was on an entirely different scale, lost their culture.

We will never win the league and the cups aren't even a realistic scenario anymore.

In the last 20 years 2 clubs outside the now accepted big 6 have won the League Cup.

In the last 32 years the FA Cup went outside the big 6 on just 3 occasions

Real success for QPR in 2020 is staying in the Championship and reaching the round before Qtr finals in both cup competition.

Even reaching the Play-offs is slowly becoming less likely each year and although we may make them once every now and then, the reality is that if we got promoted it would end in humiliation and within 2-3 years any great team we assembled would be broken up and not always through choice.

Is it wishing for the club to lose their soul by wishing for success? Absolutely not, but there is a big difference in being a hopeless dreamer and someone who hopes we achieve 'success' via financial doping knowing what it will end up costing.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 15:17]

I think what we are all saying is as soon as the "big six" leave for their European league the better for all of us.
Premier League changes on 16:55 - Oct 12 with 1350 viewsPhildo

Premier League changes on 16:56 - Oct 12 with 1345 viewsNorthernr

EFL CEO has just quit after six months in post.
Premier League changes on 17:02 - Oct 12 with 1325 viewstoboboly

Premier League changes on 16:56 - Oct 12 by Northernr

EFL CEO has just quit after six months in post.

Parry needs to follow suit. Or alternatively (and more preferable) would be for him to be sacked.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Premier League changes on 17:04 - Oct 12 with 1318 viewsNorthernr

Always a sign that the boss has had a really good idea when the CEO resigns the day after it's announced after just 6 months in the role.
Premier League changes on 17:07 - Oct 12 with 1304 viewsDorse

Other PL suggestions include:
Mandatory half and half scarves to be worn at every match
Crucifixion for anyone found criticising the atmosphere in the Kop, or being unable to recite the names of the Class Of 92, in height order
'Greatest league in the world' forehead / knuckle / scrotum tattoos
Jim White to have right of jus prima noctis at all fans' weddings
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 17:13]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Premier League changes on 17:16 - Oct 12 with 1278 viewsThe_Beast1976

Premier League changes on 12:35 - Oct 12 by paulparker

Rick Parry has to be the worst EFL chairmen going and that’s some achievement considering the competition
To be honest I couldn’t care less if QPR are in the premier league bar a few games with warnock in charge it was fcuking miserable, I sincerely hope there’s a lot of clubs now plotting to breakaway from the EFL , We could carry on with the league cup & invite the old firm , and go back to divisions one, two , three & four , Even have terraces back with cheaper tickets etc
Let the 18 have their league it would be as dull as fcuk

With ya all the way on this
Premier League changes on 17:31 - Oct 12 with 1251 viewsdaveB

Premier League changes on 11:27 - Oct 12 by St_Pollock

That's not whats always happened when the Play-Offs were introduced in 86/87 in the same format and the race for 5th will become the new battle.

very different game back then not least the two leagues have different FFP rules so you'd have one team in the playoffs able to spend a lot more than the other 3. if it had been in place last season playoffs would have been Brentford v Fulham and Bournemouth v Cardiff in the semi final. No matter how bad Bournemouth have been at times you'd have backed them to win those 2 games.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2020 17:35]
Premier League changes on 17:47 - Oct 12 with 1209 viewsR_from_afar

Premier League changes on 13:27 - Oct 12 by R_from_afar

Fair play to Saggers:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024