Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League changes 12:56 - Oct 11 with 19229 viewsGloucs_R

http://news.sky.com/story/premier-leagues-major-clubs-propose-shrinking-top-flig

Trying to reduce it to 18 clubs, talk of a professional B League....

The rich getting richer

Poll: Are we staying up?

Premier League changes on 13:21 - Oct 13 with 2030 viewsSydneyRs

Premier League changes on 22:46 - Oct 12 by stowmarketrange

I think the last time that happened was when Chelshite lost to Middlesbrough in the late 80’s.Was’t that the year they didn’t win a game in 25 attempts after being near the top in October?

I was at that Boro game in the away end at Stamford Bridge to watch them get relegated, things you love to see.

There was a right tear up afterwards. Chelsea fans were trying to get to the away end but a combination of police and the 3 mile distance to get there thwarted them. So they turned on the cops and the most violent scenes I've ever seen at football ensued. The youtube clip doesn't do it justice, it really got pretty out of hand after the cameras stopped rolling, especially in the benches to the right of the away end. This was the old school Chelsea of NF nutters etc.
Premier League changes on 13:44 - Oct 13 with 1980 viewsBucksRanger

Premier League changes on 12:52 - Oct 13 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Ollie's full interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08v2zsf

What a decent, honest, sensible bloke Ian Holloway is.

Christ, I wish he was in charge of the country rather than Boris.
Premier League changes on 13:44 - Oct 13 with 1980 viewsderbyhoop

The biggest problems with English football are:
a) the huge financial disparity between the Premiership and the Championship
b) the level of governance across the levels

Whilst the potential hand-me-downs from the PL seems attractive on the surface, where's the catch? And we all know there will be one.
Are we really prepared to swap governance by the PL and EFL clubs for diktats from the biggest clubs?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Premier League changes on 14:04 - Oct 13 with 1933 viewsNov77

So you would have to finish 15th just to avoid relegation? I can remember when that used to be called mid-table

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Premier League changes on 19:39 - Oct 13 with 1813 viewsPaddyhoops

Premier League changes on 12:04 - Oct 13 by daveB

No club spending 100k a week on Wayne Rooney should be pleading poverty

Couldn't agree more. It was a pretty poor choice from the BBC to discuss the situation with a chancer like Morris.
I have absolutely no sympathy for clubs who spend 100% of thier turnover on players wages and then have the temerity to f*****g moan about finances on national radio. Especially as they have no collateral to back up the inevitable losses.
I have no doubt the clubs in the championship will be back the deal.
Regardless of how much more finances the deal will bring in . The temptation to spunk it on the dream of the 18 team premier leauge will still be there.
The likes of Utd and Liverpool will get richer and richer but to be honest I'm not remotely interested in the Premier leauge anymore!!
Premier League changes on 20:55 - Oct 13 with 1751 viewsdaveB

Premier League changes on 13:44 - Oct 13 by derbyhoop

The biggest problems with English football are:
a) the huge financial disparity between the Premiership and the Championship
b) the level of governance across the levels

Whilst the potential hand-me-downs from the PL seems attractive on the surface, where's the catch? And we all know there will be one.
Are we really prepared to swap governance by the PL and EFL clubs for diktats from the biggest clubs?

the catch is that Premier league clubs can sell their own tv rights rather than the league as a whole so the money handed down is 25% of the tv money which is great if it stays as it is but more than likely will be sold individually by clubs under this plan so the 25% will be pretty much what we get now for tv money possibly even less. I think they'd struggle to get this through the Premier League clubs to be honest as they will all be far worse off under these plans
Premier League changes on 09:23 - Oct 14 with 1553 viewstoboboly

Premier League changes on 20:55 - Oct 13 by daveB

the catch is that Premier league clubs can sell their own tv rights rather than the league as a whole so the money handed down is 25% of the tv money which is great if it stays as it is but more than likely will be sold individually by clubs under this plan so the 25% will be pretty much what we get now for tv money possibly even less. I think they'd struggle to get this through the Premier League clubs to be honest as they will all be far worse off under these plans

If QPR back this as is then I am out.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Premier League changes on 09:32 - Oct 14 with 1538 viewsEastR

Premier League changes on 09:23 - Oct 14 by toboboly

If QPR back this as is then I am out.

They're going for it

"EFL clubs have swung as a bloc behind Project Big Picture"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/13/efl-clubs-agree-to-put-their-su

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Premier League changes on 09:34 - Oct 14 with 1531 viewsNorthernr

EFL clubs have financially mismanaged themselves for years, and now the pandemic has hit and they're screwed, in need of an immediate bail out from somewhere fast or we're going to start losing clubs. So of course they're all in favour of this, because it's some money now, and a 25% share of the television revenues for the next few years. They're desperate, so they'll go for it.

For that, they'll be paying for decades. Everywhere you turn in the deal there is smallprint that is damaging to the sport and to the EFL. The Premier League will become harder to get into because they're changing the play-off structure. Two teams will have to lose their EFL status and go into non-league because the Prem only want 18 clubs. The League Cup and its revenues will be lost to the EFL. And this is only the start, there will be more and more things that suit the top six and nobody else coming down the track, and because you've changed the voting rights you'll be able to do nothing about it.

But most of all, this will allow the top six, in fairly short order, to start selling their own TV rights. Big package deals with Sky/BT and whatever will be replaced by clubs selling their rights individually. It's what they've always wanted to do. They know the market is there, it annoys them that Burnley get the same split as Man Utd despite the size of the audiences, and they'll change it as soon as they can. Already, within the deal proposed, it says that while the 3pm blackout is supported, were the rules to change then the extra matches made available would not be part of the broadcast packages, but instead sold direct to the consumer by the clubs.

So you'd basically be taking a short term fix now in return for what will very quickly become a 25% share of nothing at all.
Premier League changes on 09:35 - Oct 14 with 1524 viewsNorthernr

Premier League changes on 09:32 - Oct 14 by EastR

They're going for it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/13/efl-clubs-agree-to-put-their-su

Pretty (hopefully) irrelevent because the other 14 Premier clubs aren't going to go for this. You're asking them to vote for a smaller league, less money, less power, less say. The voting structure they're seeking to change is exactly what will protect us.
Premier League changes on 09:55 - Oct 14 with 1478 viewstoboboly

Premier League changes on 09:34 - Oct 14 by Northernr

EFL clubs have financially mismanaged themselves for years, and now the pandemic has hit and they're screwed, in need of an immediate bail out from somewhere fast or we're going to start losing clubs. So of course they're all in favour of this, because it's some money now, and a 25% share of the television revenues for the next few years. They're desperate, so they'll go for it.

For that, they'll be paying for decades. Everywhere you turn in the deal there is smallprint that is damaging to the sport and to the EFL. The Premier League will become harder to get into because they're changing the play-off structure. Two teams will have to lose their EFL status and go into non-league because the Prem only want 18 clubs. The League Cup and its revenues will be lost to the EFL. And this is only the start, there will be more and more things that suit the top six and nobody else coming down the track, and because you've changed the voting rights you'll be able to do nothing about it.

But most of all, this will allow the top six, in fairly short order, to start selling their own TV rights. Big package deals with Sky/BT and whatever will be replaced by clubs selling their rights individually. It's what they've always wanted to do. They know the market is there, it annoys them that Burnley get the same split as Man Utd despite the size of the audiences, and they'll change it as soon as they can. Already, within the deal proposed, it says that while the 3pm blackout is supported, were the rules to change then the extra matches made available would not be part of the broadcast packages, but instead sold direct to the consumer by the clubs.

So you'd basically be taking a short term fix now in return for what will very quickly become a 25% share of nothing at all.

When you consider how clever people like Hoos are it is shocking that so many are going for this. It is the equivalent of Coventry selling Highfield and ending up at the Ricoh.

It is so sad that so little is coming from the FA in slapping this down.

Premier League changes on 09:56 - Oct 14 with 1478 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Premier League changes on 09:32 - Oct 14 by EastR

They're going for it

Curious headline. The article contains quotes form select chairpersons. There's no survey or facts contained that support the headline's assertion that "EFL clubs agree", merely that some clubs might. Nor does the article back up its first line that "EFL clubs have swung as a bloc behind..." which suggests there was a ballot and that they would now vote as one "bloc".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Premier League changes on 10:00 - Oct 14 with 1463 viewsphilc

Once the clubs can start negotiating their own tv rights, where would the like of QPR get their biggest tv receipts from? From playing the big 6. So how long before they turn round and say we want a percentage of your TV income as you only earn it because of us.
Premier League changes on 10:07 - Oct 14 with 1435 views2Thomas2Bowles

Premier League changes on 09:34 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Has any prem club apart from West Ham said they don't want it?

However

Project Big Picture is "highly unlikely to get traction within the Premier League," says Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54535326
[Post edited 14 Oct 2020 10:12]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Premier League changes on 10:10 - Oct 14 with 1430 viewsPhildo

Premier League changes on 09:55 - Oct 14 by toboboly

When you consider how clever people like Hoos are it is shocking that so many are going for this. It is the equivalent of Coventry selling Highfield and ending up at the Ricoh.

It is so sad that so little is coming from the FA in slapping this down.

I think for some/a lot of them in the EFL it is about surviving for a few months so they are unable to look at medium or long term view. I wonder if longer term PL2 may come out of this which could be better at reducing risk for the 14 not so good for the 6.

Total madness to let a cabal of Americans seize control of the national game at a time like this - the Glazers and Henry- dear me.
Premier League changes on 10:18 - Oct 14 with 1408 viewstoboboly

Meanwhile non-league clubs are donating money to each other!

Premier League changes on 10:29 - Oct 14 with 1382 viewstoboboly

If you are able please copy and past the wording and send it to your MP;

https://theuglygame.wordpress.com/2020/10/14/text-of-letter-to-mp-to-protest-abo

How to find your MP's details;

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/#ju

Premier League changes on 10:31 - Oct 14 with 1373 viewsdavman

Premier League changes on 09:35 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Pretty (hopefully) irrelevent because the other 14 Premier clubs aren't going to go for this. You're asking them to vote for a smaller league, less money, less power, less say. The voting structure they're seeking to change is exactly what will protect us.

I don't agree on that, Clive. There are a number of clubs in the Prem outside the Top 6, who will (laughably in my opinion) feel that they are now an "Established" Prem Club and have adjusted their Infrastructure accordingly. The arrogantly and really stupidly feel that they warrant their place alongside the big boys and they will be seduced by those teams to re-enforce that belief.

There are some clubs in the EFL who are happy to simply survive. They don't really think that they will ever challenge the top tier, so whether the Prem is a closed shop or not doesn't affect them one bit. So, offered the chance of a few extra million (that they will, like every club before and after them, fritter away to nothing) they'll take it and damn these consequences.

And then there are clubs like ours who still think that there is a chance that we could break into the Big League. These are the ones who will oppose (aside from those with unscrupulous owners who may want a quick cash fix not caring about the future).

I think that there will be a higher number of Prem and EFL Clubs that might want this; whether it is the required majority to take it further I don't know, but I do suspect that there will be more than you appear to think...

The simple fact is that the Premier League re-enforced the fact that these clubs are now businesses, not football clubs. In Business, you use (unsporting) means to crush the opposition to maintain your position as opposed to using sporting means, which football demands.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Premier League changes on 10:35 - Oct 14 with 1362 viewsNorthernr

Premier League changes on 10:31 - Oct 14 by davman

I don't agree on that, Clive. There are a number of clubs in the Prem outside the Top 6, who will (laughably in my opinion) feel that they are now an "Established" Prem Club and have adjusted their Infrastructure accordingly. The arrogantly and really stupidly feel that they warrant their place alongside the big boys and they will be seduced by those teams to re-enforce that belief.

There are some clubs in the EFL who are happy to simply survive. They don't really think that they will ever challenge the top tier, so whether the Prem is a closed shop or not doesn't affect them one bit. So, offered the chance of a few extra million (that they will, like every club before and after them, fritter away to nothing) they'll take it and damn these consequences.

And then there are clubs like ours who still think that there is a chance that we could break into the Big League. These are the ones who will oppose (aside from those with unscrupulous owners who may want a quick cash fix not caring about the future).

I think that there will be a higher number of Prem and EFL Clubs that might want this; whether it is the required majority to take it further I don't know, but I do suspect that there will be more than you appear to think...

The simple fact is that the Premier League re-enforced the fact that these clubs are now businesses, not football clubs. In Business, you use (unsporting) means to crush the opposition to maintain your position as opposed to using sporting means, which football demands.

"I don't agree on that, Clive. There are a number of clubs in the Prem outside the Top 6, who will (laughably in my opinion) feel that they are now an "Established" Prem Club and have adjusted their Infrastructure accordingly. The arrogantly and really stupidly feel that they warrant their place alongside the big boys and they will be seduced by those teams to re-enforce that belief."

So if they feel they're an established Prem Club why would they agree to go from the current situation where they get the same say/vote as the big clubs to one where Man Utd get to tell them what to do? With two fewer places for them thrown into the bargain? And the threat to their TV revenue in the future I've already discussed? It would be silly for the EFL clubs to vote for this, it would be properly stupid if somebody like Palace or Burnley did.
Premier League changes on 10:38 - Oct 14 with 1353 viewsqprxtc

This whole thing is a big load of steaming f ucking, cocking, tw rating, absolute shi tting bollocks.

They can all stick it up their jacksy and f uck the f uck off.

Parry and his “big” clubs mates can go suck the devils ars ehole.
Premier League changes on 10:56 - Oct 14 with 1316 viewsloftboy

Premier League changes on 10:38 - Oct 14 by qprxtc

This whole thing is a big load of steaming f ucking, cocking, tw rating, absolute shi tting bollocks.

They can all stick it up their jacksy and f uck the f uck off.

Parry and his “big” clubs mates can go suck the devils ars ehole.

Spot on.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Premier League changes on 11:09 - Oct 14 with 1287 viewstoboboly

Premier League changes on 11:41 - Oct 14 with 1232 viewsJuzzie

If the EFL are aware that should the PL move away from Sky, BT etc and set up their own TV deal then the EFL effectively get 25% of fk all, I just hope they have done this in the hope that the 25% keeps then going for now and they'll set themselves up from a few years from now to not be reliant on 25% that no longer exists.
Premier League changes on 11:43 - Oct 14 with 1222 viewsNorthernr

Premier League changes on 11:41 - Oct 14 by Juzzie

If the EFL are aware that should the PL move away from Sky, BT etc and set up their own TV deal then the EFL effectively get 25% of fk all, I just hope they have done this in the hope that the 25% keeps then going for now and they'll set themselves up from a few years from now to not be reliant on 25% that no longer exists.

I think they're in such dire straights now that they're grabbing onto this rescue and then cross that bridge later when they come to it.
Premier League changes on 11:47 - Oct 14 with 1214 viewsPhildo

First couple of quotes I just read on a Liverpool forum:

'Least 9 clubs will vote for it so just need another 5.

This will be the the 1st proposal. The main bit of the the proposal is to get the EFL clubs on their side which has happened. A little changes to this proposal and it will go through.

The PL is nothing without the top 6-9 clubs.'

'They should feel grateful the clubs that bring the money in haven’t already f@cked off to a super league. They didn’t seem too fussed about fairness and competition, or the Championship, when they tried to get promotion and relegation scrapped a few months ago.

It has very quickly come back to bite them on the ars''
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024