Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump 09:43 - Oct 27 with 115588 viewsHooparoo

An Australian professor of Data Analytics from Griffith University who predicted Trump’s first win, the Australian Federal Election(when all the polls said the opposite) and Brexit has called it - Trump will be re-elected for another 4 years. You heard it here first.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Trump on 19:50 - Nov 21 with 2450 viewsGloryHunter

Trump tells G20 leaders on conference that he looks forward to working with them "for a long time".

Time for the men in white coats to have a word with him, I think.
Trump on 07:49 - Nov 24 with 2247 viewstraininvain

Looks like it took business leaders to force the issue as they threatened to withhold campaign donations from the two Republican Senate candidates in Georgia unless party leaders agree to push forward with a presidential transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/24/trump-transition-biden-general-s
Trump on 08:33 - Nov 24 with 2192 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/inside-politics

Can I recommend this podcast in general but especially the latest episode which concentrates on U.S. foreign policy since the end of the Cold War, under Trump and it's likely foreign policy under Biden.

I would have questions about some of the assertions but I found it informative and interesting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trump on 12:40 - Dec 15 with 1963 viewsGaryT

The Electoral college has confirmed Biden's win so there's only one last procedure to go and that's when Pence counts the votes in Congress on 6th Jan. Trump has one last last throw of the dice to overturn the result and based on what we've seen since the election, it's going to be embarrassing. The cult of Trump are still clinging to the possibility that the result will be overturned but that ends when Pence declares Biden the winner. So there's three weeks to convince tens of millions of Republican voters that they've been conned into thinking the vote was a fraud. If there isn't a huge effort to do this the 6th January may become another memorable date in history for the USA. I know that sounds a bit melodramatic but this is unchartered territory for the US and it needs to be diffused quickly if the American experiment is to continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-55312272
Trump on 12:47 - Dec 15 with 1936 viewsHantsR

Trump on 12:40 - Dec 15 by GaryT

The Electoral college has confirmed Biden's win so there's only one last procedure to go and that's when Pence counts the votes in Congress on 6th Jan. Trump has one last last throw of the dice to overturn the result and based on what we've seen since the election, it's going to be embarrassing. The cult of Trump are still clinging to the possibility that the result will be overturned but that ends when Pence declares Biden the winner. So there's three weeks to convince tens of millions of Republican voters that they've been conned into thinking the vote was a fraud. If there isn't a huge effort to do this the 6th January may become another memorable date in history for the USA. I know that sounds a bit melodramatic but this is unchartered territory for the US and it needs to be diffused quickly if the American experiment is to continue.

6th January is Epiphany - seems appropriate under the circumstances.
Trump on 12:48 - Dec 15 with 1928 viewstraininvain

Trump on 12:40 - Dec 15 by GaryT

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. Trump’s attempts to overturn the election have failed at every step and this will continue until Biden’s inauguration next month.

If Trump is to succeed in overturning the election on 6th January 2021, he would need both the Democratic controlled House and Republican controlled Senate to agree to toss out a state’s electoral votes. I doubt all Senate Republicans will agree let alone House Democrats.

The election has been over for a long time. Trump’s insistence otherwise is an act designed to grift his supporters of donations towards his legal fund (I.e. line his pockets to the tune of c£200m so far) and lay the groundwork for another run in 2024.
Trump on 14:11 - Dec 15 with 1825 viewsGaryT

Trump on 12:48 - Dec 15 by traininvain

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. Trump’s attempts to overturn the election have failed at every step and this will continue until Biden’s inauguration next month.

If Trump is to succeed in overturning the election on 6th January 2021, he would need both the Democratic controlled House and Republican controlled Senate to agree to toss out a state’s electoral votes. I doubt all Senate Republicans will agree let alone House Democrats.

The election has been over for a long time. Trump’s insistence otherwise is an act designed to grift his supporters of donations towards his legal fund (I.e. line his pockets to the tune of c£200m so far) and lay the groundwork for another run in 2024.

I think you misunderstood my point. I agree that the election has been over for a long time, my concern is that many tens of millions still believe it can and should be overturned. The violence has reached the stage of stabbings and when Pence (if he turns up) gives Trump his final nail in the coffin, how will the cult of Trump react? This kind of division is how civil wars start and that's not being over dramatic.
Trump on 14:38 - Dec 15 with 1804 viewstraininvain

Trump on 14:11 - Dec 15 by GaryT

I think you misunderstood my point. I agree that the election has been over for a long time, my concern is that many tens of millions still believe it can and should be overturned. The violence has reached the stage of stabbings and when Pence (if he turns up) gives Trump his final nail in the coffin, how will the cult of Trump react? This kind of division is how civil wars start and that's not being over dramatic.

Apologies, I thought you were suggesting that the outcome of the election was still in play.

I had similar concerns re civil war before the election but where are the millions of people protesting in the streets? Surely we’d have seen a bit more activity by now if it was a genuine threat?

If it was going to kick off in a big way, it would’ve happened in the days after the election to stop the count and disrupt the outcome. That ship has sailed and I see little appetite for a violent uprising, thankfully.

Population of 300m+ and all I’ve seen is a few thousand die hard fanatics protesting and fortunately no more violence than what we saw over the summer. Most the noise is coming online from people with too much to lose by engaging in violence / civil war.
Login to get fewer ads

Trump on 15:30 - Dec 15 with 1748 viewsGaryT

If it was just a few thousand die hard fanatics on the internet I'd agree with you but it's not. Trump is constantly twittering about the biggest fraud in history, 70% of Republican voters think the election was rigged, 128 Republican politicians put their name to a document to overthrow the election, Fox News are calling it a fraud 24/7 and AONN and other right wing media outlets are feeding the masses with 2nd and 3rd helpings of conspiracy theories.

It may not come to a head on Jan 6th but the Trumpists will still be convinced the whole thing is a fraud and that Trump has had the election stolen from him. Remember there was a plot to kidnap Michigan's Governor because of covid restrictions? What will the plan be when there are tougher covid restrictions in the coming months and when they are convinced Trump had the election stolen from him? It could be enough to tip some gun toting Proud Boys over the edge.

Obviously I hope it all blows over but if the Georgia runoff goes to the Democrats on the 5th, more fuel to the fire.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 15:32]
Trump on 16:13 - Dec 15 with 1703 viewsJuzzie

Trump on 15:30 - Dec 15 by GaryT

If it was just a few thousand die hard fanatics on the internet I'd agree with you but it's not. Trump is constantly twittering about the biggest fraud in history, 70% of Republican voters think the election was rigged, 128 Republican politicians put their name to a document to overthrow the election, Fox News are calling it a fraud 24/7 and AONN and other right wing media outlets are feeding the masses with 2nd and 3rd helpings of conspiracy theories.

It may not come to a head on Jan 6th but the Trumpists will still be convinced the whole thing is a fraud and that Trump has had the election stolen from him. Remember there was a plot to kidnap Michigan's Governor because of covid restrictions? What will the plan be when there are tougher covid restrictions in the coming months and when they are convinced Trump had the election stolen from him? It could be enough to tip some gun toting Proud Boys over the edge.

Obviously I hope it all blows over but if the Georgia runoff goes to the Democrats on the 5th, more fuel to the fire.

Trump is the biggest disaster to befall US politics.

What's even more worrying is the millions of people who blindly believe him.

This is the sort of 'story' you would more likely believe if it was happening in Africa or the Middle East but it's actually happening in the US. The biggest economy in the world and the so-called 'land of the free'. They seem anything but IMO.

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 16:48]
Trump on 16:19 - Dec 15 with 1697 viewstraininvain

Trump on 15:30 - Dec 15 by GaryT

While I agree that it’s dangerous territory and I was worried about a civil war a few months ago,
it’s worth noting that Trump, Fox etc have been crying about election fraud since early November but it’s not translated to millions or even hundreds of thousands of people protesting in the streets let alone engaging in violence on a scale to overturn the election result.

I think it’s more likely that we’ll see a few crackpots become domestic terrorists in the not too distant future which is obviously a very sad state of affairs. But I’m not seeing enough to suggest that a civil war is on the cards.

Most people have too much to lose even if they truly believe the election was rigged.
Trump on 18:30 - Dec 15 with 1617 viewsGaryT

Now that McConnell has congratulated Biden, that's it, Trumps last chance has gone. The 100/1 shot of an alternate slate of electors showing up to Congress (from at least 4 states) has just been kicked to the curb now that McConnell has accepted the result. All that is left is for the Trump supporting media to tone down the rhetoric for a peaceful transition because there's no chance Trump will.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-55323407
Trump on 07:53 - Jan 6 with 1459 viewstraininvain

Trump on 08:20 - Nov 6 by traininvain

I wonder how important the potential senate run offs in Georgia might be to how this plays out with Trump.

GOP could be risking the senate if they back Trump’s post election madness. They’ll have to make a call on how this will go down with the average republican voter.

They might be better off withdrawing support and focussing on retaining the senate.

Bump. What a disastrous election for the Republicans.
Trump on 09:18 - Jan 6 with 1369 viewswood_hoop

Trump on 07:53 - Jan 6 by traininvain

Bump. What a disastrous election for the Republicans.

Getting worse for Trump than he could have imagined, watched a bit of CNN this moring and I think even though not calling it yet Jon Ossoff has a lead that just wafer thin and would mean Democrats win both seats.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/democrat-raphael-warnock-defeats-sen-kelly-loeffle
Trump on 09:24 - Jan 6 with 1351 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trump on 09:18 - Jan 6 by wood_hoop

Getting worse for Trump than he could have imagined, watched a bit of CNN this moring and I think even though not calling it yet Jon Ossoff has a lead that just wafer thin and would mean Democrats win both seats.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/democrat-raphael-warnock-defeats-sen-kelly-loeffle

Ossoff now edged ahead by 4,000 votes.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trump on 09:24 - Jan 6 with 1351 viewscaliforniahoop

Trump on 09:18 - Jan 6 by wood_hoop

I think the US has just redeemed itself, I detest Trump but, he has inadvertently done the US a favour, he’s highlighted the real issues in that country, it’s what they do from this point onwards!
Trump on 09:25 - Jan 6 with 1343 viewsMyke

Thank goodness the Trump thread is back at the top of the page - I was concerned that he may have been forgotten about
Trump on 09:30 - Jan 6 with 1328 viewstraininvain

Trump on 09:24 - Jan 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Ossoff 13,000 votes ahead according to CNN. No doubt the Trumpers will cry election fraud again. This is going to tear apart the Republican Party.

I’m amazed that Republicans thought running a billionaire (Loeffler) against a Pastot (Warnock) was a good idea.
Trump on 09:33 - Jan 6 with 1321 viewsCamberleyR

Trump on 09:24 - Jan 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Now 16,000 and the other senate seat the Democrat is nearly 50,000 ahead.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Trump on 09:47 - Jan 6 with 1273 viewstraininvain

What Trump and Republicans have failed to grasp is that elections are generally about motivating your voters to get out and vote. They’ve done the opposite by pushing conspiracy theories of election fraud (why bother voting if elections are unfair?).

Meanwhile, Democrats have been emboldened by Trump’s actions and Republicans vetoing $2,000 stimulus checks.

It’s not difficult for someone with a passing interest to connect the dots so you have to wonder how Republicans have allowed this to happen.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 9:48]
Trump on 10:00 - Jan 6 with 1245 viewscaliforniahoop

Trump on 09:47 - Jan 6 by traininvain

What Trump and Republicans have failed to grasp is that elections are generally about motivating your voters to get out and vote. They’ve done the opposite by pushing conspiracy theories of election fraud (why bother voting if elections are unfair?).

Meanwhile, Democrats have been emboldened by Trump’s actions and Republicans vetoing $2,000 stimulus checks.

It’s not difficult for someone with a passing interest to connect the dots so you have to wonder how Republicans have allowed this to happen.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 9:48]

Trump has always been about Trump, he has zero understand of the mechanism of elections. Georgia’s election result is a huge thing, they were lucky it went to a runoff, the reset button was pressed and as you have alluded too, the behaviour of the GOP showed they have zero respect of any of the checks and balances that are in place too protect the country from greed!!
Trump on 10:00 - Jan 6 with 1245 viewsGaryT

I know those who are posting in this thread know how important this vote was but for those who don't...if the Republicans had won one of these two seats, Mitch McConnell would have blocked everything the Democrats tried to put through the Senate and in four years time, the majority of Americans, who don't follow the day to day of American politics, would be saying "Well that was a waste of time, Biden hasn't done anything! I might as well vote Republican".

The Democratic leadership are very unwilling to go after Trump when he is out of office preferring to "look forward, not back" which would leave a huge number of people still convinced there's been a massive fraud. That mix of dissatisfied voters and the Trumpists still convinced it was a fraud would lead to a Republican win in 2024. Next time it would be with a less moronic leader but still one who appeals to the far right so the future of the USA would have been very dark indeed.

This result is so important as it steers the USA away from the edge and hopefully, emboldens the Democratic leaders to bring charges against every single person who was involved in this attempted coup. They should but whether they will, time will tell. Now we have to wait for the right wing Trumpists reaction....I can't see them quietly accepting they lost fair and square but hopefully they don't do anything too serious. Fingers crossed.

I have no links to the USA but I have been following Trump closely for two years now and this result has made me so happy. It puts the final nail in the Trump coffin and hopefully the flood gates will now open and the truth about how this man nearly drove the USA off a cliff, will be made clear for all to see. Today is a good day and I've also got Kings Day and my sons 19th Birthday to celebrate. The 6th of January 2021, what a day of celebration it's going to be.
Trump on 10:12 - Jan 6 with 1215 viewstraininvain

Trump on 10:00 - Jan 6 by GaryT

I know those who are posting in this thread know how important this vote was but for those who don't...if the Republicans had won one of these two seats, Mitch McConnell would have blocked everything the Democrats tried to put through the Senate and in four years time, the majority of Americans, who don't follow the day to day of American politics, would be saying "Well that was a waste of time, Biden hasn't done anything! I might as well vote Republican".

The Democratic leadership are very unwilling to go after Trump when he is out of office preferring to "look forward, not back" which would leave a huge number of people still convinced there's been a massive fraud. That mix of dissatisfied voters and the Trumpists still convinced it was a fraud would lead to a Republican win in 2024. Next time it would be with a less moronic leader but still one who appeals to the far right so the future of the USA would have been very dark indeed.

This result is so important as it steers the USA away from the edge and hopefully, emboldens the Democratic leaders to bring charges against every single person who was involved in this attempted coup. They should but whether they will, time will tell. Now we have to wait for the right wing Trumpists reaction....I can't see them quietly accepting they lost fair and square but hopefully they don't do anything too serious. Fingers crossed.

I have no links to the USA but I have been following Trump closely for two years now and this result has made me so happy. It puts the final nail in the Trump coffin and hopefully the flood gates will now open and the truth about how this man nearly drove the USA off a cliff, will be made clear for all to see. Today is a good day and I've also got Kings Day and my sons 19th Birthday to celebrate. The 6th of January 2021, what a day of celebration it's going to be.

One problem this does create for Biden is he will now be under serious pressure from the far left of his party. But I suppose that’s a good problem for the Democrats.

In four years Trump has cost the Republican Party the house, presidency and senate. Surely Republican leaders will start to back away from him now.

Enjoy the celebrations Gary!
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 10:14]
Trump on 10:39 - Jan 6 with 1164 viewsPaddyhoops

I said it quiet a while ago on this thread. Trump is the most dangerous world leader since Hitler.
Nothing I have seen since has made me want to change my mind.
What worries me is 70 million people backed a seriously unhinged man .
In terms of world security. The likes of China and Russia don't particularly worry me . Its the US.
Trump on 10:39 - Jan 6 with 1156 views2Thomas2Bowles

Trump on 10:12 - Jan 6 by traininvain

One problem this does create for Biden is he will now be under serious pressure from the far left of his party. But I suppose that’s a good problem for the Democrats.

In four years Trump has cost the Republican Party the house, presidency and senate. Surely Republican leaders will start to back away from him now.

Enjoy the celebrations Gary!
[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 10:14]

It also means the Dem's have to deliver on their promises.

They will have the excuse of Covid but they are still the party that lost to Trump to start with and in a much worse situation now.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024