Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Small axe. 08:47 - Nov 16 with 4407 viewsPaddyhoops

Brilliant , true story drama played out a stones throw from Loftus Road.
The police and judicial system don't come out of it well.
However, spoiler alert, a happy ending of sorts!!
Small axe. on 09:00 - Nov 16 with 3879 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Missed it last night but it's on Amazon from Friday.
Anything by Steve McQueen is essential, in my book at least.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Small axe. on 09:12 - Nov 16 with 3851 viewscaliforniahoop

Makes me realise how much my parents went through.
Small axe. on 10:16 - Nov 16 with 3763 viewsLythamR

Small axe. on 09:00 - Nov 16 by BrianMcCarthy

its downloadable on sky at the moment
Small axe. on 10:58 - Nov 16 with 3703 viewsloftboy

Was brilliant, the street they filmed it in was actually Grafton street in Kentish Town, I have my lunch in the cafe by the railway arch regularly.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Small axe. on 11:07 - Nov 16 with 3679 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's great. Thank you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Small axe. on 11:24 - Nov 16 with 3650 viewsMaggsinho

This is good on the case too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/jGD9WJrVXf/the-mangrove-nine-black-lives-matter
Small axe. on 11:33 - Nov 16 with 3631 viewsOutWestR

Small axe. on 10:16 - Nov 16 by LythamR

its downloadable on sky at the moment

And on the BBC iPlayer now for those in the UK.
Small axe. on 11:48 - Nov 16 with 3596 viewsrobith

Small axe. on 09:00 - Nov 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Such an incredible director
Login to get fewer ads

Small axe. on 11:52 - Nov 16 with 3588 viewsNorthernr

Unkindly scheduled.

I'm A Celebrity got 10.9m, this got 1.1m.

This country man.
Small axe. on 12:35 - Nov 16 with 3498 viewsPaddyhoops

Small axe. on 11:52 - Nov 16 by Northernr

Unkindly scheduled.

This country man.

They'll be doing a course on "I'm a celebrity" in colleges and Universities discussing its "effects" on society.
I pretty much doubt this will discussed in history lessons any time in the near future which is a shame!!
If we understood more about this subject we might not have such divisive country now.
Small axe. on 12:58 - Nov 16 with 3455 viewsJuzzie

I recorded it and will look forward to watching it.

I was born and grew up around there and I think a lot of the film is based from around when I was born or a few years after so my awareness of it was much later, probably late 70's.

I remember often walking down Westbourne Park Road towards Portobello Road and there were always two policemen standing on the opposite corner practically in the doorway of the launderette (which I think is now a corner shop convenience store). The 'word' was that the Mangrove was a drug dealing place but it was never substantiated (and the owner was anti-drugs), which is what I guess the film is about.
Small axe. on 13:13 - Nov 16 with 3419 viewsMyke

Unkindly scheduled.

This country man.

Not just England, Clive, the whole world is being dumbed down.
Small axe. on 13:51 - Nov 16 with 3310 viewsJuzzie

Small axe. on 13:13 - Nov 16 by Myke

Not just England, Clive, the whole world is being dumbed down.

Not trying to sound fuddy-duddy but I genuinely believe the overall quality of TV I watched throughout the 70's and 80's was better.

Sure, we had fun tv like the generation game and stuff like that but there was some really quality stuff about.

Now it's all 'reality' stuff which IMO doesn't really even reflect reality, it's just gladiatorial tv where the dumbed-down masses can watch people having a go at each other and vote (which brings in £££££ for the production companies) who stays and who goes.
Small axe. on 14:38 - Nov 16 with 3213 viewsderbyhoop

Unkindly scheduled.

This country man.

Did you expect anything different? never underestimate how dumb people can be.

Suspect the Small Axe film was too uncomfortable for many.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Small axe. on 15:08 - Nov 16 with 3163 viewskensalriser

Thought Malachi Kirby had the young Darcus Howe to a tee.

Trivia point, the infant Darcus junior is now head of Island records.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Small axe. on 18:47 - Nov 16 with 2956 viewsBushman

Alan Johnson, author and former Labour politician Asking Steve McQueen the question

As a west London boy keen on football you must surely be a fellow QPR supporter?

The first game I ever went to was QPR v Liverpool at Loftus Road. I used to live on the White City estate and the ground was right next to it. I was seven years old so it must have been 1977. I went with my uncle Bertie. Stan Bowles was playing and that was a big deal. I can’t actually remember the result, but I do remember that I had a packet of Wrigley’s spearmint gum and I chewed the whole lot. It was that intense! After all that, I have to tell you I’m actually a Tottenham supporter. Don’t ask me how that happened, but it did.

From yesterday’s Observers Q&A available online

Also used to live in Cobbold Rd, White city estate referenced,think he lives in Ealing now.

Apologies for the confusion should make sense after edit
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 22:15]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Small axe. on 19:24 - Nov 16 with 2901 viewsQPR_John

Small axe. on 14:38 - Nov 16 by derbyhoop

Did you expect anything different? never underestimate how dumb people can be.

Suspect the Small Axe film was too uncomfortable for many.

Let's hope all you kind people find the time to educate the masses
Small axe. on 19:39 - Nov 16 with 2870 viewsBlackCrowe

Small axe. on 18:47 - Nov 16 by Bushman

Alan Johnson, author and former Labour politician Asking Steve McQueen the question

As a west London boy keen on football you must surely be a fellow QPR supporter?

The first game I ever went to was QPR v Liverpool at Loftus Road. I used to live on the White City estate and the ground was right next to it. I was seven years old so it must have been 1977. I went with my uncle Bertie. Stan Bowles was playing and that was a big deal. I can’t actually remember the result, but I do remember that I had a packet of Wrigley’s spearmint gum and I chewed the whole lot. It was that intense! After all that, I have to tell you I’m actually a Tottenham supporter. Don’t ask me how that happened, but it did.

Also used to live in Cobbold Rd, White city estate referenced,think he lives in Ealing now.

Alan Johnson is 50? Looks ten years older.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Small axe. on 20:01 - Nov 16 with 2834 viewsOutWestR

Small axe. on 18:47 - Nov 16 by Bushman

I first read this as Alan Johnson was saying he’s Tottenham, which came as a surprise.

Here’s the full article (I can report Johnson is still QPR)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/15/steve-mcqueen-black-people-
Small axe. on 22:28 - Nov 16 with 2700 viewsMrSheen

Small axe. on 20:01 - Nov 16 by OutWestR

I first read this as Alan Johnson was saying he’s Tottenham, which came as a surprise.

Here’s the full article (I can report Johnson is still QPR)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/15/steve-mcqueen-black-people-

Not just admirers, CELEBRITY admirers, if you don’t mind.
Small axe. on 01:59 - Nov 17 with 2565 viewsdixiedean

Bang on . His voice was Howe’s double . Viewing figures for I’m a Celeb outnumbering it by 10-1 is a sad indictment.
Small axe. on 06:55 - Nov 17 with 2519 viewseasthertsr

Watched it last night on i player. Superb script and direction, the acting from the whole cast brilliant. Great television!
Small axe. on 10:00 - Nov 17 with 2436 viewsterryb

Thank you to thr OP for this threrad & I watched it on catch up last night.

Coming from a small market town in the Home Counties, I don't think I appreciated how hard it was for immigrants living in England at that time. Of course I witnessed racism in Chesham, but it didn't register with me that this was the scale.

It should have done! Powell & his rivers of blood appealed to many a person with "standing in the community" & the NF was probably at it'e most influential at that time. In Chesham the Asian community was growing in population & although I can't recall any mass confrontations the undercurrent was definitely there.

At the time I was a regular atendee at the town's COE church & I remember being saddened & appalled at hearing two elderly (they were to a 16 year old!) church wardens regulary refer to them in terms that I found offensive.

I do regret that I always bit my tongue & kept silent, but I've always thought that they had a lot to do with me leaving the church.
Small axe. on 10:38 - Nov 17 with 2383 viewsMick_S

Small axe. on 06:55 - Nov 17 by easthertsr

Watched it last night on i player. Superb script and direction, the acting from the whole cast brilliant. Great television!

Not much to add to this - a fantastic two hours of television. I'm going to have to watch this again.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Small axe. on 11:16 - Nov 17 with 2337 viewsloftboy

This thread reminded me a little bit about my run in with plod 8 years ago, thread morphed into something else which was funny.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/58568/page:1

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024