Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall fans. 17:35 - Dec 5 with 55008 viewsPaddyhoops

They booed the players loudly as they took the knee.
What a classy bunch they are.
Millwall fans. on 17:38 - Dec 5 with 13053 viewsswitchingcode

No surprise there
Millwall fans. on 18:19 - Dec 5 with 12861 viewsSharpy36

Twitters exploded

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Millwall fans. on 18:20 - Dec 5 with 12863 viewsbakerloo8

You might not agree with empty gestures but why would you boo? Loons.
Millwall fans. on 18:23 - Dec 5 with 12842 viewsWatford_Ranger

I expect a small minority will at our first game too but it sounds like plenty giving it there. West Ham too.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2020 18:23]
Millwall fans. on 18:38 - Dec 5 with 12768 viewsQPRSteve

I hope all our team take the knee on Tuesday to show solidarity.
Millwall fans. on 18:47 - Dec 5 with 12706 viewsqpr_1968

Millwall fans. on 18:38 - Dec 5 by QPRSteve

its ran its course mate, let it go.
back ferdinand on this one.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Millwall fans. on 18:52 - Dec 5 with 12675 viewsQPRSteve

Millwall fans. on 18:47 - Dec 5 by qpr_1968

its ran its course mate, let it go.
back ferdinand on this one.

I agree with you, but in his instance I think it would be appropriate.
Millwall fans. on 19:12 - Dec 5 with 12574 viewsgazza1

Right or wrong, I think you will find that there are many that do not agree with 'taking the knee'.
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall fans. on 19:20 - Dec 5 with 12539 viewsWatford_Ranger

Millwall fans. on 19:12 - Dec 5 by gazza1

Right or wrong, I think you will find that there are many that do not agree with 'taking the knee'.

Not a great look to boo it en masse though, surely?
Millwall fans. on 19:31 - Dec 5 with 12459 viewsSt_Pollock

Have you actually done any research as to what Black Lives Matter want?

It's a bit more than be nice to black people and that's why the wearing of their symbol was banned/discouraged on TV and why company after company was quick to distance themselves from them...

Whether you like it or not the nonsense about 'it's about an idea, not any movement' has, rightly, fallen on deaf ears but the FA and FL were so determined to associate themselves with this - at the cost of their own Kick it Out which was perfect for challenging racism - that they forgot to think about an exit plan.

Les knew how pointless and problematic this gesture had become, not every black person supports BLM and as someone who grew up in Bermondsey with many Millwall fans, if you think we had 'White Privilege' you clearly never lived in the area.

They also booed at West Ham and other grounds will follow too including us.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2020 19:32]
Millwall fans. on 19:38 - Dec 5 with 12427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Millwall fans. on 19:20 - Dec 5 by Watford_Ranger

Not a great look to boo it en masse though, surely?

Agreed.
Scummy behaviour.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Millwall fans. on 19:40 - Dec 5 with 12415 viewsqpr_1968

Millwall fans. on 19:31 - Dec 5 by St_Pollock

It's a bit more than be nice to black people and that's why the wearing of their symbol was banned/discouraged on TV and why company after company was quick to distance themselves from them...

Whether you like it or not the nonsense about 'it's about an idea, not any movement' has, rightly, fallen on deaf ears but the FA and FL were so determined to associate themselves with this - at the cost of their own Kick it Out which was perfect for challenging racism - that they forgot to think about an exit plan.

Les knew how pointless and problematic this gesture had become, not every black person supports BLM and as someone who grew up in Bermondsey with many Millwall fans, if you think we had 'White Privilege' you clearly never lived in the area.

its exactly the point i made about it running its course, black fellows i work with are embarrassed by it all.
les ferdinand was right to stop it and backed it up why he did.
our club, qpr, are 100% behind anti racism and proved that throughout the club, players, managers, stadium name, ray jones etc.
there are different ways which deals with anti racism, the knee seems to be causing a divide.
time to drop it.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Millwall fans. on 19:43 - Dec 5 with 12386 viewsWatford_Ranger

Millwall fans. on 19:38 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Agreed.
Scummy behaviour.

Exactly, just oiks taking an opportunity to be dicks in a group. It’s a horrible position to put your own black players in if nothing else. There’s been no pressure on the players to kneel for some time as we are evidence of and still most do, of all races.
Millwall fans. on 19:44 - Dec 5 with 12372 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 19:40 - Dec 5 by qpr_1968

its exactly the point i made about it running its course, black fellows i work with are embarrassed by it all.
les ferdinand was right to stop it and backed it up why he did.
our club, qpr, are 100% behind anti racism and proved that throughout the club, players, managers, stadium name, ray jones etc.
there are different ways which deals with anti racism, the knee seems to be causing a divide.
time to drop it.

There was an article in that notorious far right outlet The Guardian about how it is creating more unrest than helping...

That says EVERYTHING you need to know.
Millwall fans. on 19:57 - Dec 5 with 12283 viewskensalriser

It's becoming a lightning rod for racist dickheads.

Which as much as anything is just another indication that racism is still very much alive and kicking.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Millwall fans. on 20:01 - Dec 5 with 12271 viewsStanisgod

Millwall fans. on 18:38 - Dec 5 by QPRSteve

Forget it mate, it's gone, point made let it go.
Even Sir Les says so.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Millwall fans. on 20:02 - Dec 5 with 12246 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 19:57 - Dec 5 by kensalriser

It's becoming a lightning rod for racist dickheads.

Which as much as anything is just another indication that racism is still very much alive and kicking.

Can you please point me in the direction of your posts condemning what BLM actually want and the monuments and statues defaced in their name as that's what people are fed up with.
Millwall fans. on 20:05 - Dec 5 with 12232 viewsMatch82

Will try and do this in the spirit of peace.

I don't think you know what white privilege is. It has nothing to do with money.

There are certain advantages that I have in life as a white male that I wasn't even aware of. To take a simple example I don't have to worry about what I put on when I leave the house. If I wear a hoodie it doesn't make someone more likely to call the police. I don't need to worry about wearing a revealing outfit in case I get raped because "I was clearly up for it"

The best analogy I heard was imagine you had a bunch ih of people in a 100m race. But if you're a white man you get a two second headstart. The headstart doesn't guarantee you win the race, and if you do, nobody is saying you haven't run extremely fast or performed well and deserve to win. It's simply about acknowledging that while everyone is in the same race, the conditions aren't the same for everyone.

I'm not in a place to talk about it from a point of great expertise, because I've never had to deal with it. But I'd encourage you to talk to black friends, colleagues etc and just listen. It doesn't help solve the problem but does at least show a willingness to understand it.

I'm going to avoid the BLM question because I do agree with you that it's not clean cut and people should do their own research.
Millwall fans. on 20:06 - Dec 5 with 12226 viewspaulparker

Did anyone watch the James English podcast with Mark Prince ? If you haven’t then watch it the bloke is an inspiration
Mr Prince pretty much said the taking of the knee was a waste of time , nothing will change unless everyone is treated equal and everyone gets a long & he is right
It’s a load of old sky nonsense which achieves nothing

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Millwall fans. on 20:15 - Dec 5 with 12159 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 20:05 - Dec 5 by Match82

Will try and do this in the spirit of peace.

I don't think you know what white privilege is. It has nothing to do with money.

There are certain advantages that I have in life as a white male that I wasn't even aware of. To take a simple example I don't have to worry about what I put on when I leave the house. If I wear a hoodie it doesn't make someone more likely to call the police. I don't need to worry about wearing a revealing outfit in case I get raped because "I was clearly up for it"

The best analogy I heard was imagine you had a bunch ih of people in a 100m race. But if you're a white man you get a two second headstart. The headstart doesn't guarantee you win the race, and if you do, nobody is saying you haven't run extremely fast or performed well and deserve to win. It's simply about acknowledging that while everyone is in the same race, the conditions aren't the same for everyone.

I'm not in a place to talk about it from a point of great expertise, because I've never had to deal with it. But I'd encourage you to talk to black friends, colleagues etc and just listen. It doesn't help solve the problem but does at least show a willingness to understand it.

I'm going to avoid the BLM question because I do agree with you that it's not clean cut and people should do their own research.

My black friends and colleagues all say the same thing, 'white privalage is nonsense'.

If you're between 18 and 30 and white travelling in a group to football you'll occasionally be stopped by the Police as most hooligans fall within that demographic.

If you're between 18 and 30 and a black male you'll be stopped more often than others because most street crime is committed by people who look like you.

The Police use excessive force against white football fans every week and excessive force on occasions on black youths.

It's tough, it's life.
Millwall fans. on 20:19 - Dec 5 with 12155 viewsKonk

The idea of “White privilege” isn’t that every white person has four butlers, went to Elton and had Lobster for tea every night, but that white people In the UK (and elsewhere) won’t be judged, with generally unconscious negative assumptions made, every time they walk down the street, walk into a meeting, a classroom, Get stopped by the old bill, try and get into a bar with a group of mates, go to look at a flat etc. Chatting with black mates and colleagues, there are loads of situations where they feel judged negatively before they’ve even opened their mouth. As a white bloke with a working class London accent, I’ve been very conscious of being judged at work, parties, various shops/restaurants etc, but at least I have to open my gob before that happens.

Probably not for me to say, but I actually think it’s time to stop the mandatory kneeling - it’s almost performative in many respects, and becomes less powerful with each passing week. A bit like the NHS clap. If players want to continue doing it independently, then more power to them. Once you get to a stage where the sort of twa ts who bowl around at FLA meet-ups are competing with other clubs to see how loudly they can boo it to show their “chap/lad” credentials then it just becomes a mess.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Millwall fans. on 20:20 - Dec 5 with 12149 viewsjoe90

I've found the kneeling and all the BLM stuff at football really annoying and wanted to write something in this thread expressing that, but I looked at their website and actually found it interesting,haha!

Apparently BLMUK is not affiliated with the American BLM? If anyone's interested in finding out more: https://blacklivesmatter.uk/
Millwall fans. on 20:20 - Dec 5 with 12140 viewsBoston

Make the middle class take the knee, it’s their crimes that caused the problems.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Millwall fans. on 20:56 - Dec 5 with 11997 viewsKonk

Millwall fans. on 20:15 - Dec 5 by St_Pollock

My black friends and colleagues all say the same thing, 'white privalage is nonsense'.

If you're between 18 and 30 and white travelling in a group to football you'll occasionally be stopped by the Police as most hooligans fall within that demographic.

If you're between 18 and 30 and a black male you'll be stopped more often than others because most street crime is committed by people who look like you.

The Police use excessive force against white football fans every week and excessive force on occasions on black youths.

It's tough, it's life.

I think the main thing is the manner it's done in. Getting stopped and searched can be hugely embarrassing and humiliating - especially when it's done where you live and people you know are passing by.

As someone who bowled around in Stone Island coats/jackets from 1995-2000, I got used to being pulled over for a chat by police at away games, and I never minded when it was done politely, because as you say, I fitted the demographic of dickheads acting-up. What I wasn't so keen on, was the odd occasion when I was pushed into walls, called a "cockney cu nt/wan ker" and threatened, when all I was doing was walking along with mates minding our own business.

I knew a copper who covered Victoria, and she said that most of the time, if they had a mugging, the shocked victim understandably gave a vague description of who'd robbed them, and it would often be 2/3 black lads, 15-20 years old, and then almost nothing descriptive on clothing/footwear other than hoodies or dark clothing. So, she and her colleagues then had to approach any group of 2/3 black lads in that age range with any of them wearing hoodies/dark clothing, knowing that they were probably not the muggers, but being obliged to check anyway. She said she would go in all apologetic and explain they had a very vague description, and try and do it off in a quieter spot, but that other colleagues would start from a position of presumed guilt and be really aggressive from the off. I think that's what really upsets people. You need to do it in a respectful way, where possible, and not humiliate people.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Millwall fans. on 21:00 - Dec 5 with 11973 viewsManinBlack

Millwall fans. on 20:20 - Dec 5 by Boston

Make the middle class take the knee, it’s their crimes that caused the problems.

I have to agree with you on this. There are white and black folk who are all working class with no privileges living together with no issues. The UK has always been about class and the media, politicians, celebs and others on enormous incomes don't like the working class. In my view these people are really the racists stirring up this discontent to turn us against each other and it appears to be working.

I have looked in on Millwall threads and fans up and down the country are applauding them because they are sick of the virtue signalling whilst they have been away from the stadiums. I really don't believe this taking the knee would have lasted this long with grounds full of fans. Many of them believe that football should stay out of politics.

I am fed up of Sky because every time they show the goals they mention and show the teams taking the knee as a highlight of the game. The BLM party want to abolish the police but if there are no police there will be no football so think on that.

Typical FA condemning Millwall fans when they have done little for decades to improve the lot of people with black skin in regards to football. It is actions that are required not words or gimmicks as Les rightly says.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024