Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prosecution for the Defence (or lack of it) 08:38 - Dec 7 with 1052 viewsTheChef

The big issue for this team is STILL with defending, especially when you've lost goals from the team and we're not converting enough chances.

Although it's Warbs and the coaching staff's job to get us to improve, the buck also stops with those above him and the largely awful recruitment in this area. Dickie is the first decent defender we've bought since I don't know when.

Three consecutive seasons of conceding 70+ goals, alarm bells should be going off. That has to be the first thing you fix. And I do think we're moving in the right direction with Dieng and Dickie, but they need better quality around them. Hama and Kakay are just starting out and hopefully have potential, but Barbet, Kane and Wallace just aren't up to it. Then you have the players in front of them, and we need better than Ball and an ageing Cameron to play alongside Carroll.

I know it's not easy with the FPP compliance and the wage bill cutting to afford the best quality players, but defending as a unit should be a basic for any football team, and much as I love the attacking football we play we will continue struggle if we don't take chances and cough up soft goals at the other end. If the coaches we have aren't getting the results, then there must be others out there who can make the difference.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Prosecution for the Defence (or lack of it) on 08:55 - Dec 7 with 1018 viewsnix

I agree we need to put a bit of cash into our defence in January. In fairness, I think we've been in for quite a few players over the summer but were outbid, more probably on wages than on transfer fees. We also needed to sort out so many players across the team, that it was hard to see what was the priority. I would say our fullbacks and defensive mid are the real priorities. We haven't got a space-closing, hard tackling defensive mid, and I wonder if we could get someone decent on loan of not to buy in January.

Similarly we need better fullbacks, although we also need our wingers to track back more. If you watch it when we're stretched, our wingers are often not even in the picture when the crosses come over. How often do you see BOS or Willock only marked by one player.
Prosecution for the Defence (or lack of it) on 08:59 - Dec 7 with 1003 viewsstevec

If your club decides on a philosophy of ball playing across the park it’s a good idea to have a bank balance to match, which we haven’t got.

Trying to play first class football with second class footballers is not going to work.
Prosecution for the Defence (or lack of it) on 15:11 - Dec 7 with 874 viewsTheChef

I did forget to include Masterson in my original list. Again like Hama and Kakay, he doesn't have much first team experience but looks to have potential. So do you throw all three in with Dickie and let them develop as a unit (with the mistakes that will mostly happen)? I could live with that, but given where we are at the moment we could use that experienced type of leader to play alongside Dickie. Hopefully we might find somebody who fits that bill in January.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024