Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January transfers thread 15:07 - Dec 23 with 63429 viewsNorthernr

Troy Parrott being recalled from his loan at Millwall ands sent out somewhere else.

Have we called in a Spurs favour?

Lay off that wine Clive.
January transfers thread on 11:16 - Dec 24 with 5248 viewsBrianMcCarthy

January transfers thread on 10:55 - Dec 24 by PinnerPaul

Not much to argue with there - although some will!

Agreed. And as for us being "prudent", we would say that anyway.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

January transfers thread on 11:59 - Dec 24 with 5116 viewsrsonist

Not very easy to name many vaguely plausible options for us out there in the criteria widely argued, even on loan, once you actually start thinking.

Hector expensive top end, Martin Kelly at Palace possibly? Liam Lindsay frozen out at Stoke could be an upgrade on Barbet on his Barnsley form, but there'll be competition.

One I would definitely ask about in midfield is Jayson Molumby who hasn't been getting games since returning to Brighton after his good spell on loan at Wall last season.

Can see Fat Sam not taking to Sawyers now but that would be an extremely slim chance of a very late loan option, if anything.
January transfers thread on 13:35 - Dec 24 with 5005 viewsEsox_Lucius

January transfers thread on 07:59 - Dec 24 by FrankRightguard

Just released by Fleetwood for disciplinary reasons. What must he have done that even Barton wasn’t happy with?!

Disagreed with him?

The grass is always greener.

January transfers thread on 13:39 - Dec 24 with 4982 viewsEsox_Lucius

Perhaps Marco Ramkilde will make a surprise return to the team?

The grass is always greener.

January transfers thread on 14:11 - Dec 24 with 4941 viewsDixie_CT

January transfers thread on 10:57 - Dec 24 by PinnerPaul

Just the 4 new players for no money then?

I did ask Santa nicely.

IMO those are the positions we need to fill before progressing although it may take longer than the Jan transfer window.

Deffo agree we shouldn’t be spending any more money at this moment in time as we must have spent between £5m & £7m in the summer.
January transfers thread on 14:19 - Dec 24 with 4924 viewsPinnerPaul

January transfers thread on 14:11 - Dec 24 by Dixie_CT

I did ask Santa nicely.

IMO those are the positions we need to fill before progressing although it may take longer than the Jan transfer window.

Deffo agree we shouldn’t be spending any more money at this moment in time as we must have spent between £5m & £7m in the summer.

Fair enough - my reply was a bit miserable for Christmas Eve!
January transfers thread on 14:35 - Dec 24 with 4904 viewscyprusmel

January transfers thread on 14:19 - Dec 24 by PinnerPaul

Fair enough - my reply was a bit miserable for Christmas Eve!

I don't think he would come and we wouldn't be able to afford his wages but if we are having a wish list
Ryan Shawcross 33 years old but horrible, aggressive big and nasty which is what we do not have. 6'3'' good in the air.
January transfers thread on 16:24 - Dec 24 with 4754 viewsrsonist

January transfers thread on 11:06 - Dec 24 by rsonist

Parrott would make zero sense. We've made our bed and are still yet to figure out how to lie in it.

Lower tier clickmongers have us interested in Finno-Irish international CB Daniel O'Shaughnessy.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-sheffield-wednesday-qpr-preston-bar

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/absolutely-no-truth-in-reports-qpr-want-ex-b

Warburton said: “I’ve no idea where these stories come from. I’ve been linked with players I’ve never heard of before. I’d love to know where they emanate from. I read these stories in utter disbelief sometimes.”
Login to get fewer ads

January transfers thread on 15:02 - Jan 7 with 4418 viewsaston_hoop

We are being linked with taking Glenn Murray for the rest of the season on loan

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18993671.glenn-murray-talks-swap-watford

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

January transfers thread on 15:16 - Jan 7 with 4348 viewsnightwish

January transfers thread on 15:02 - Jan 7 by aston_hoop

We are being linked with taking Glenn Murray for the rest of the season on loan

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/18993671.glenn-murray-talks-swap-watford

Would make sense to me
January transfers thread on 16:43 - Jan 11 with 4072 viewsrsonist

January transfers thread on 17:19 - Jan 11 with 3920 viewsRangersDave

I'd go for Parrott to be honest, with our budget, he fits in nicely on 'pieces of 8' wages.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

January transfers thread on 18:12 - Jan 11 with 3762 viewsrsonist

January transfers thread on 17:19 - Jan 11 by RangersDave

I'd go for Parrott to be honest, with our budget, he fits in nicely on 'pieces of 8' wages.

That'll be what he'd say when he immediately joins Amos at the physios.
January transfers thread on 19:02 - Jan 11 with 3587 viewsNorthernr

Mowatt has turned down a contract at Barnsley. On the block for £1m. If we’re not at least in touch I despair.
January transfers thread on 19:04 - Jan 11 with 3578 viewsBrianMcCarthy

January transfers thread on 19:02 - Jan 11 by Northernr

Mowatt has turned down a contract at Barnsley. On the block for £1m. If we’re not at least in touch I despair.

Would be ideal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

January transfers thread on 20:53 - Jan 11 with 3258 viewsrsonist

Apparently his form really picked up once Matty James on loan from Leicester was alongside him sitting deep and doing the dirty work. Barnsley surprisingly cut it short supposedly wanting to promote younger players and Coventry immediately snapped him up. Was a little miffed by that too from our point of view.
January transfers thread on 20:54 - Jan 11 with 3247 viewsbosh67

We need the magic of Dave McIntyre to help reverse engineer this to happen.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

January transfers thread on 21:13 - Jan 11 with 3185 viewsrsonist

To be clear it's entirely feasible every one these players mentioned recently - Molumby, Whiteman, Doughty, Pickering, Mowatt - might go elsewhere for better wages better prospects etc. That's fine, but I can't be having us not having a go at least. (Then again there's always the shock possibility the club might know better than us chasing the flavour of the month...)

The other thing this comes back to is the Bonne thing in terms of signing him from Charlton for millions instead of from Orient a year earlier. If we're going to be the runt of the bidding litter for top end League One players surely we have to be better getting them earlier instead of keeping hoping the stars align for another Dickie. Admittedly I'm largely basing it off links and rumours in the media, and yeah there's always a More Blood impulse where you pretend Ipswich's Paul Hurst lower league allstars of 2018 or Ollie's non league spree at Grimsby this year didn't totally fck up, but it just hasn't felt like it's been on our radar as much as it could - as it needs to be - even despite the different type of risk involved.
January transfers thread on 21:41 - Jan 11 with 3100 viewsknocker

According to Barnsley forum,, one of the teams interested are Millwall. Might be nonsense.
January transfers thread on 23:43 - Jan 11 with 2833 viewsdaveB

Mowatt would be an outstanding signing for us, I hope we are in for him
January transfers thread on 07:57 - Jan 12 with 2610 viewsNorthernr

January transfers thread on 21:13 - Jan 11 by rsonist

To be clear it's entirely feasible every one these players mentioned recently - Molumby, Whiteman, Doughty, Pickering, Mowatt - might go elsewhere for better wages better prospects etc. That's fine, but I can't be having us not having a go at least. (Then again there's always the shock possibility the club might know better than us chasing the flavour of the month...)

The other thing this comes back to is the Bonne thing in terms of signing him from Charlton for millions instead of from Orient a year earlier. If we're going to be the runt of the bidding litter for top end League One players surely we have to be better getting them earlier instead of keeping hoping the stars align for another Dickie. Admittedly I'm largely basing it off links and rumours in the media, and yeah there's always a More Blood impulse where you pretend Ipswich's Paul Hurst lower league allstars of 2018 or Ollie's non league spree at Grimsby this year didn't totally fck up, but it just hasn't felt like it's been on our radar as much as it could - as it needs to be - even despite the different type of risk involved.

Yeh that's almost word for word where I am.
January transfers thread on 10:42 - Jan 12 with 2326 viewsDejR_vu

January transfers thread on 21:13 - Jan 11 by rsonist

The problem we appear to have is that we don't look like we've got anyone at the club capable of spotting these players until it's obvious to everyone else. The recruitment since we've started down the current path has been pretty woeful. There's been the odd success but a lot more failures.

Typically, under the current regime, having swung wildly from one strategy to another, we've settled on the buy low / sell high but haven't put the infrastructure in place to achieve it. Just saying we are going to do something doesn't mean we have a divine right to be good at it. We're competing against clubs who are far better at it than us, so we're always going to be at the back of the queue. We seem to be analogue in a digital world.

For this to work, we need all of the ingredients and we just don't have them:

1) Good recruitment - there are clubs doing a much better job so they are going to pick up the best prospects. So, we either miss out, end up paying over the odds for someone we could have had cheaper earlier, or end up sifting through the chaff and failing;
2) Development - if we can't get (1) right we're going to struggle here. We've had some success, Eze the obvious example, but I don't know if that's down to coaching, or experience (i.e. games) and a player's natural football intelligence allowing him to benefit from that experience.
3) Ability to extract maximum value - I firmly believe better run clubs than ours would get better fees if they were selling the same players. I don't buy into this guff about needing to be higher in the division. If you have a player that other clubs want they will pay for him if the club has someone capable in negotiating.

The club is owned by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. They eventually, belatedly, realised it (or just got bored) but only to the extent that they knew needed to get someone in who did have a clue. The problem is they don't have a clue how to find that person. So, you have incompetents appointing incompetents. With the possible exception of Lee Hoos, who have they appointed who's done a good job?

The owners have destroyed the club. The irony is that, having done so, we are now entirely reliant on them to survive.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

January transfers thread on 10:59 - Jan 12 with 2273 viewsozexile

January transfers thread on 10:42 - Jan 12 by DejR_vu

The problem we appear to have is that we don't look like we've got anyone at the club capable of spotting these players until it's obvious to everyone else. The recruitment since we've started down the current path has been pretty woeful. There's been the odd success but a lot more failures.

Typically, under the current regime, having swung wildly from one strategy to another, we've settled on the buy low / sell high but haven't put the infrastructure in place to achieve it. Just saying we are going to do something doesn't mean we have a divine right to be good at it. We're competing against clubs who are far better at it than us, so we're always going to be at the back of the queue. We seem to be analogue in a digital world.

1) Good recruitment - there are clubs doing a much better job so they are going to pick up the best prospects. So, we either miss out, end up paying over the odds for someone we could have had cheaper earlier, or end up sifting through the chaff and failing;
2) Development - if we can't get (1) right we're going to struggle here. We've had some success, Eze the obvious example, but I don't know if that's down to coaching, or experience (i.e. games) and a player's natural football intelligence allowing him to benefit from that experience.
3) Ability to extract maximum value - I firmly believe better run clubs than ours would get better fees if they were selling the same players. I don't buy into this guff about needing to be higher in the division. If you have a player that other clubs want they will pay for him if the club has someone capable in negotiating.

The club is owned by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. They eventually, belatedly, realised it (or just got bored) but only to the extent that they knew needed to get someone in who did have a clue. The problem is they don't have a clue how to find that person. So, you have incompetents appointing incompetents. With the possible exception of Lee Hoos, who have they appointed who's done a good job?

The owners have destroyed the club. The irony is that, having done so, we are now entirely reliant on them to survive.

Post of the year so far.
January transfers thread on 11:01 - Jan 12 with 2260 viewsNorthernr

January transfers thread on 10:42 - Jan 12 by DejR_vu

Nutshell.
January transfers thread on 11:09 - Jan 12 with 2223 viewsdaveB

It always feels to me that when we make a few good signings and look like we know what we are doing it's quickly followed by us making 4/5 crap signings and going backwards again. I don't know the answer but when you go down the path we are you can't afford a single bad transfer window and we still have to many bad ones even though they look good on paper at the time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024