Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bye bye Bright 11:32 - Jan 1 with 14101 viewsWegerles_Stairs

There's an article on The Athletic all about BOS and how he's a transfer target this window. Rather amusingly it ends with this:

"That last clause was, alas, said more in hope than expectation. By the time QPR get higher than 12th, he will almost certainly be long gone."

I'd bloody hope so - he'll be collecting his pension by then!

https://theathletic.co.uk/2279231/2021/01/01/bright-osayi-samuel-qpr/
Bye bye Bright on 23:49 - Jan 1 with 2951 viewsgazza1

Bye bye Bright on 15:40 - Jan 1 by PinnerPaul

Not sure an 'injury niggle' would prevent him joining in a team talk or celebrating a goal with his team mates?

Was it not him that celebrated the goal we scored at millwall with his team mate? Is it not him that takes the knee with his teamates? Just asking like🤓🤓
Bye bye Bright on 08:04 - Jan 2 with 2732 viewstimcocking

just want the sorry saga to be over asap...
Bye bye Bright on 09:22 - Jan 2 with 2649 viewsstevec

All I can be sure of, whenever he goes we’ll replace him with something inferior.
Bye bye Bright on 09:52 - Jan 2 with 2589 viewsbosh67

Bye bye Bright on 09:22 - Jan 2 by stevec

All I can be sure of, whenever he goes we’ll replace him with something inferior.

Willock will have to step up. We should bring Smyth back if he’s not injured. Albert will play more. He actually played more down the left at Villa. Obviously anyone coming in will be stepping up. We can’t afford a like for like. Just where we are financially after the ffp fine and covid.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bye bye Bright on 10:37 - Jan 2 with 2503 viewsR_from_afar

Bye bye Bright on 09:22 - Jan 2 by stevec

A replacement who plays with 100% commitment could well be better than a distracted and half-hearted BOS.

It's the hope that kills me

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Bye bye Bright on 10:39 - Jan 2 with 2488 viewsstevec

Bye bye Bright on 09:52 - Jan 2 by bosh67

Willock will have to step up. We should bring Smyth back if he’s not injured. Albert will play more. He actually played more down the left at Villa. Obviously anyone coming in will be stepping up. We can’t afford a like for like. Just where we are financially after the ffp fine and covid.

All true, but given we sell ‘an Eze’ roughly once every 24 years I’m struggling a touch with the overall philosophy.

Of course, the answer to all (or at least most) of our problems would be a wage cap in the Championship. An opportunity to compete on a level playing field and can bury once and for all this policy of scouring so low down the food chain that the one that pays off, only covers the cost of the waste product accumulated alongside.

I’m a little surprised how the answer that stares us in the face is received by a lot of our support base in such a lukewarm manner.
Bye bye Bright on 12:24 - Jan 2 with 2365 viewsParkRoyalR

Bye bye Bright on 17:24 - Jan 1 by Match82

More than speed I think it's his strength that stands out for me. I can't remwm remember the last time I saw a wi ger bully defenders off the ball like he does, very impressive. Add that to his speed and he has so much of a high ceiling if he can sort his decision making out (and perhaps some of that will come of him trusting better players more than his current team mates). I would have thought that upside would be enough for a prem team to take a punt on

BOS's ceiling is top half championship as he has a poor first touch, poor control and his decision making is poor (or inconsistent at best).

I don't get the 'trusting his team-mates' argument as throughout my time watching him, I have rarely seen him look up, compose himself, and weigh up the options - Eze he is not.

Given his lack of academy development, great work from Warburton and the coaching staff last season meant he started positioning himself on the half-turn ready to receive the ball and this allied with Eze's selfless passing, led to a purple patch and an inflated opinion of his abilities by some, most noticeably and to his detriment, himself.

Without Eze, and seemingly with his head turned, he has stopped doing what Warburton and the team coached him to do, and now barely merits a starting place in our team, which tells you all you need to know about his value is in the market.

On his day worth £5m, just his day only happens around 1 game in every 5 or 6. We need to sell him in the window and move on.
Bye bye Bright on 12:35 - Jan 2 with 2334 viewsrsonist

Bye bye Bright on 17:24 - Jan 1 by Match82

More than speed I think it's his strength that stands out for me. I can't remwm remember the last time I saw a wi ger bully defenders off the ball like he does, very impressive. Add that to his speed and he has so much of a high ceiling if he can sort his decision making out (and perhaps some of that will come of him trusting better players more than his current team mates). I would have thought that upside would be enough for a prem team to take a punt on

Agree it is odd no one's wanted to take the punt early even as just a bench option. For example, Adama Traore has a vastly higher ceiling but BOS has never been as hopeless as Traore was for the several seasons and expensive moves it took get there.
Login to get fewer ads

Bye bye Bright on 12:55 - Jan 2 with 2299 viewsbosh67

As Kevin Gallen said there’s economics st stake here. If we go down it costs us millions so it would be as well for BOS to play out his contract and go on a free IF that is the difference to us staying up or not. I’m not entirely convinced that BOS is a player like Eze or even Manning that has the ability to keep us up. I think losing Eze and Manning has very much impacted BOS’s performances plus all the uncertainty. The tough hand initially laid out by the club on Manning and BOS hasn’t really worked even though most of us agreed with it at the time. Covid hasn’t helped but we are dealing with a breed of agent as well that doesn’t seem to balk at hard club tactics and that if it goes on like this affects the player. Problem is the club simply can’t bend the wage structure or they risk more punishment. Especially for one player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bye bye Bright on 14:14 - Jan 2 with 2188 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I wouldn't miss him one little bit. I wouldn't even have him in the team. Leaving aside his questionable abilities, his attitude and work-rate are sub-par and that should never be tolerated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bye bye Bright on 14:21 - Jan 2 with 2165 viewsCamberleyR

Bye bye Bright on 14:14 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I wouldn't miss him one little bit. I wouldn't even have him in the team. Leaving aside his questionable abilities, his attitude and work-rate are sub-par and that should never be tolerated.

Totally agree Bri. My thoughts exactly.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Bye bye Bright on 14:30 - Jan 2 with 2135 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bye bye Bright on 14:14 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I've said before that I've reached a point where I don't expect the team to be great any more, I want a team I can feel proud of because they're good blokes working hard for the supporters and trying to improve themselves. BOS used to be in that category but not any more, even when he's decent.

I'll take potential from Willock or Smyth or a dying-of-the-light homecoming from Adomah over BOS doing us a favour by occasionally bothering.

(Manning got that way too, but I'm still a bit sad about Scowen because I felt he was forced out)
Bye bye Bright on 14:37 - Jan 2 with 2112 viewsdavman

Bye bye Bright on 10:39 - Jan 2 by stevec

All true, but given we sell ‘an Eze’ roughly once every 24 years I’m struggling a touch with the overall philosophy.

Of course, the answer to all (or at least most) of our problems would be a wage cap in the Championship. An opportunity to compete on a level playing field and can bury once and for all this policy of scouring so low down the food chain that the one that pays off, only covers the cost of the waste product accumulated alongside.

I’m a little surprised how the answer that stares us in the face is received by a lot of our support base in such a lukewarm manner.

We couldn't afford to pay whatever the cap is set at. If you think it will be at the low end of wages currently paid, you are wrong. It will most likely be a %age of income, which puts us in the bottom 4 or 5 of the Championship. Just like last time, if you want us to compete at the top of the pyramid, the only way is removal of all financial restrictions and an owner who wants to throw money at us.

Neither is going to happen.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bye bye Bright on 20:40 - Jan 2 with 1924 viewsrobith

Bye bye Bright on 13:10 - Jan 1 by BrianMcCarthy

A strange article. For a publication that prides itself on long articles it's surprisingly short on detail about his time with us.

I had a free trial and jacked it. Pretty dire unless you want to read articles about man utd, Leeds and arsenal that border on fan fiction
Bye bye Bright on 21:49 - Jan 2 with 1814 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Bye bye Bright on 20:40 - Jan 2 by robith

I had a free trial and jacked it. Pretty dire unless you want to read articles about man utd, Leeds and arsenal that border on fan fiction

There are some decent articles on there, but you're right, very little on the Championship and below. And yes, this article was more about Bright at Blackpool with a short coda pointing out that he's our player (albeit temporarily).
Bye bye Bright on 21:58 - Jan 2 with 1781 viewsNW10Hoop

Bye bye Bright on 12:24 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

BOS's ceiling is top half championship as he has a poor first touch, poor control and his decision making is poor (or inconsistent at best).

I don't get the 'trusting his team-mates' argument as throughout my time watching him, I have rarely seen him look up, compose himself, and weigh up the options - Eze he is not.

Given his lack of academy development, great work from Warburton and the coaching staff last season meant he started positioning himself on the half-turn ready to receive the ball and this allied with Eze's selfless passing, led to a purple patch and an inflated opinion of his abilities by some, most noticeably and to his detriment, himself.

Without Eze, and seemingly with his head turned, he has stopped doing what Warburton and the team coached him to do, and now barely merits a starting place in our team, which tells you all you need to know about his value is in the market.

On his day worth £5m, just his day only happens around 1 game in every 5 or 6. We need to sell him in the window and move on.

I actually think if things were handled differently last season we could have achieved a good fee for him last summer.

I know the overwhelming majority on here felt that trying to sign Nakhi Wells last January was a bad idea - too expensive, too old, no resale value etc. But having Someone like Wells for the second half of the season rather than Oteh would have no doubt improved Bright’s, Eze’s and maybe Mannings stats and performances post lockdown. Would this have upped the transfer fees received for all? Would Dykes look a better player now with someone of Wells’ quality beside him and his resale value go up accordingly?

We’re restricted by FFP, I get it. And I don’t know whether the club has/had the cash flow to do it.

All I’m saying is none of our players will achieve the maximum fee without the club having some already developed quality in amongst the players with potential that we’re trying to fatten for market - if you’re trying to sell Luke Freeman for maximum dollar - don’t give him Conner Washington to work with. It’s one of the reasons I did allow myself to get excited when there were rumours about trying to get Charlie Austin back on loan back then.

Dieng will be worth more if we had better full backs and maybe someone different to Barbet
Dykes would look a better player with a quality partner
Chair’s stats would be off the scale with a forward line capable of turning his work into assists.

If we are gonna be a selling club then can we be smarter about it? And if you are improving the quality around the players you’re hoping to sell, maybe we stumble upon a play off push rather than trying to get 7m for a player and finishing 16th being all that we hope for
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 22:05]
Bye bye Bright on 22:06 - Jan 2 with 1757 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bye bye Bright on 21:58 - Jan 2 by NW10Hoop

I actually think if things were handled differently last season we could have achieved a good fee for him last summer.

I know the overwhelming majority on here felt that trying to sign Nakhi Wells last January was a bad idea - too expensive, too old, no resale value etc. But having Someone like Wells for the second half of the season rather than Oteh would have no doubt improved Bright’s, Eze’s and maybe Mannings stats and performances post lockdown. Would this have upped the transfer fees received for all? Would Dykes look a better player now with someone of Wells’ quality beside him and his resale value go up accordingly?

We’re restricted by FFP, I get it. And I don’t know whether the club has/had the cash flow to do it.

All I’m saying is none of our players will achieve the maximum fee without the club having some already developed quality in amongst the players with potential that we’re trying to fatten for market - if you’re trying to sell Luke Freeman for maximum dollar - don’t give him Conner Washington to work with. It’s one of the reasons I did allow myself to get excited when there were rumours about trying to get Charlie Austin back on loan back then.

Dieng will be worth more if we had better full backs and maybe someone different to Barbet
Chair’s stats would be off the scale with a forward line capable of turning his work into assists.

If we are gonna be a selling club then can we be smarter about it? And if you are improving the quality around the players you’re hoping to sell, maybe we stumble upon a play off push rather than trying to get 7m for a player and finishing 16th being all that we hope for

Very good post, NW10. Logical and well-reasoned. I agree with every word of it.

The crux though, as you rightly point out, is have we room under FFP?

Bye bye Bright on 22:28 - Jan 2 with 1698 viewsNW10Hoop

Bye bye Bright on 22:06 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Very good post, NW10. Logical and well-reasoned. I agree with every word of it.

The crux though, as you rightly point out, is have we room under FFP?

Thank you!

Well, to answer your question - I’m going to ignore Well’s wages as being an issue as we were content paying for both his and Hugill’s last season. And all indications seem to be that the club will be dipping into the loan market this month too - and will have to pay proper wages if they’re hoping to get a proper player.

The 5m fee that would have secured Wells - it’s obviously hypothetical but fees incoming for Eze, Bright, Chair, Dykes, Manning etc may well have come to more because of playing with a clinical finisher of Wells’ ability
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 22:29]
Bye bye Bright on 22:34 - Jan 2 with 1676 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bye bye Bright on 22:28 - Jan 2 by NW10Hoop

Thank you!

Well, to answer your question - I’m going to ignore Well’s wages as being an issue as we were content paying for both his and Hugill’s last season. And all indications seem to be that the club will be dipping into the loan market this month too - and will have to pay proper wages if they’re hoping to get a proper player.

The 5m fee that would have secured Wells - it’s obviously hypothetical but fees incoming for Eze, Bright, Chair, Dykes, Manning etc may well have come to more because of playing with a clinical finisher of Wells’ ability
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 22:29]

Right, but the problem is we had to pass FFP last season, before the expected increase in transfer income would have arrived. Also, I doubt we were paying all of Wells' wages while he was on loan. We did go in for Wells on a permanent last January, if I recall, but were priced out of it. I wonder if that was because of FFP or our own self-imposed budgets.

Bye bye Bright on 22:41 - Jan 2 with 1650 viewsMyke

Huge hole in your argument was that we were not reliant on Oteh for the second half of last season but on Hugill (bar the last three games), who proved to be just as accomplished as Wells at this level and made Eze's, Manning's and BOS's 'stats' look very acceptable. Not that truly great players like Eze (as shown by today's goal) need a supporting cast to look good.
Bye bye Bright on 22:47 - Jan 2 with 1634 viewsdistortR

Bye bye Bright on 22:34 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Right, but the problem is we had to pass FFP last season, before the expected increase in transfer income would have arrived. Also, I doubt we were paying all of Wells' wages while he was on loan. We did go in for Wells on a permanent last January, if I recall, but were priced out of it. I wonder if that was because of FFP or our own self-imposed budgets.

I imagine, to a large extent, ffp and our self-imposed budgets are one and the same thing.
We sign wells for 3 years on the wages he could demand, it's also a 3 year commitment to those wages.
Bye bye Bright on 22:54 - Jan 2 with 1618 viewsNW10Hoop

Bye bye Bright on 22:34 - Jan 2 by BrianMcCarthy

You’re probably right. I don’t keep a close eye on the rolling 3 year FFP closely enough to know whether that transfer would have blown it all or not at that time. But we were anticipating paying all of his wages until the end of the season and decided not to try and replace him with another loan.

We also got Leistner, Scowen, Mklar and (Manchester city’s) Matt Smith off the wage bill that month, so unless offloading them was the thing that got us in within FFP then maybe the club could have been more daring?
Bye bye Bright on 23:04 - Jan 2 with 1581 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bye bye Bright on 22:54 - Jan 2 by NW10Hoop

You’re probably right. I don’t keep a close eye on the rolling 3 year FFP closely enough to know whether that transfer would have blown it all or not at that time. But we were anticipating paying all of his wages until the end of the season and decided not to try and replace him with another loan.

We also got Leistner, Scowen, Mklar and (Manchester city’s) Matt Smith off the wage bill that month, so unless offloading them was the thing that got us in within FFP then maybe the club could have been more daring?

Maybe.

Bye bye Bright on 23:05 - Jan 2 with 1581 viewsrsonist

I think you are vastly underestimating what goes into scouting and pursuing a player in football across the board if you think a couple places higher in the table and a few more in the goals / assists column is going to turn years of no bids into an overnight gold rush. Clubs have been investing tens of millions on potential far less realised than Eze's for a long time - for whatever reason they'd made their minds up.

The keys to selling big are having talent in demand (I've always said Eze's position as a 10 counted against us in this regard), multiyear contracts locked down, and being in a position to resist the fee. We had none of that last season and fetched a relatively handsome fee all the same even if we (alone) knew it could have been double. Plus nice fat 20% sell-on fee.

In any case even if we had the £4m for Nakhi it wouldn't have made much difference to whatever the hell happened post-restart. It wasn't like we were only lacking a finisher.
Bye bye Bright on 23:27 - Jan 2 with 1538 viewsNW10Hoop

Bye bye Bright on 22:41 - Jan 2 by Myke

Huge hole in your argument was that we were not reliant on Oteh for the second half of last season but on Hugill (bar the last three games), who proved to be just as accomplished as Wells at this level and made Eze's, Manning's and BOS's 'stats' look very acceptable. Not that truly great players like Eze (as shown by today's goal) need a supporting cast to look good.

Absolutely fair point. And I’m using Wells as an example rather than being particularly hung up on that specific transfer.

The point I’m (badly) trying to make is that if we want to achieve better fees, better league positions and a more enjoyable experience for fans our future stars need to have more 7/10 performers alongside them than we’ve managed to have for quite a long time.

I don’t envy the position the club are in, and the pandemic has certainly weakened our position but I also don’t really see that anything has or will change with the Eze windfall. Do you think we may be able to lay some more solid foundations or are we cursed to aim for 16th and sell our best player every season? Because if that’s all we’re aiming for, any slight bump in that road could be catastrophic - be it the team underperforming or not achieving the fee we need to balance the books.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024