Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bye bye Bright 11:32 - Jan 1 with 14216 viewsWegerles_Stairs

There's an article on The Athletic all about BOS and how he's a transfer target this window. Rather amusingly it ends with this:

"That last clause was, alas, said more in hope than expectation. By the time QPR get higher than 12th, he will almost certainly be long gone."

I'd bloody hope so - he'll be collecting his pension by then!

https://theathletic.co.uk/2279231/2021/01/01/bright-osayi-samuel-qpr/
Bye bye Bright on 00:44 - Jan 3 with 2686 viewsMyke

Bye bye Bright on 23:27 - Jan 2 by NW10Hoop

Absolutely fair point. And I’m using Wells as an example rather than being particularly hung up on that specific transfer.

The point I’m (badly) trying to make is that if we want to achieve better fees, better league positions and a more enjoyable experience for fans our future stars need to have more 7/10 performers alongside them than we’ve managed to have for quite a long time.

I don’t envy the position the club are in, and the pandemic has certainly weakened our position but I also don’t really see that anything has or will change with the Eze windfall. Do you think we may be able to lay some more solid foundations or are we cursed to aim for 16th and sell our best player every season? Because if that’s all we’re aiming for, any slight bump in that road could be catastrophic - be it the team underperforming or not achieving the fee we need to balance the books.

Your overall argument is solid but you are trying to apply a 'covid vaccine' solution to a problem that lacks the covid vaccine resources. By this I mean you are trying to fast-track the QPR project of producing sale-able players while competing higher up the table. It will take time. Eze was really the first example of this. Well no, I guess Freeman was. Close on £5M for a player that cost half a mill 18 months earlier. The others, Smithies, Furlong, Luongo, were really just fire-sales, not so much to keep the club afloat, but to keep us FFP compliant. In other words, we are still in the early stages of this project and unlike the vaccine, no solution will be found in 9 or 10 months
We are making huge strides off the pitch, but because we are threading water on it, it looks like no progress at all, and that is hugely frustrating for the fans. Let's say we get £3m for BOS. Once the dust settles on the predictable fans meltdown, it will be a another step along the way, particularly with decent add-ons I know you are just using the purchase of Wells as an example, but it is exactly the decision not to buy him that proves we have a clear project in mind..
But it will still take 3-5 years of holding our nerve before we get to where Brentford are now; selling players for big money while still competing at the top end of the divission. Chair looks the next obvious one, but of course nothing is certain, one serious injury can ruin any plan. Deing is progressing well, Dickie is a useful addition, although limited by pace and so on. Whether Warburton will be given time to see it through, whether Warburton is even the right man to see it through, is not particulary relevant. What is important, is that regardless of who is at the helm, we stay on track and trade out of the mess we had gotten into. We, the supporters, have a huge role to play in this project, by staying calm and not losing our sh1t every time our young, inexperienced players go on a winless run
Bye bye Bright on 01:36 - Jan 3 with 2606 viewsozexile

Bye bye Bright on 00:44 - Jan 3 by Myke

Your overall argument is solid but you are trying to apply a 'covid vaccine' solution to a problem that lacks the covid vaccine resources. By this I mean you are trying to fast-track the QPR project of producing sale-able players while competing higher up the table. It will take time. Eze was really the first example of this. Well no, I guess Freeman was. Close on £5M for a player that cost half a mill 18 months earlier. The others, Smithies, Furlong, Luongo, were really just fire-sales, not so much to keep the club afloat, but to keep us FFP compliant. In other words, we are still in the early stages of this project and unlike the vaccine, no solution will be found in 9 or 10 months
We are making huge strides off the pitch, but because we are threading water on it, it looks like no progress at all, and that is hugely frustrating for the fans. Let's say we get £3m for BOS. Once the dust settles on the predictable fans meltdown, it will be a another step along the way, particularly with decent add-ons I know you are just using the purchase of Wells as an example, but it is exactly the decision not to buy him that proves we have a clear project in mind..
But it will still take 3-5 years of holding our nerve before we get to where Brentford are now; selling players for big money while still competing at the top end of the divission. Chair looks the next obvious one, but of course nothing is certain, one serious injury can ruin any plan. Deing is progressing well, Dickie is a useful addition, although limited by pace and so on. Whether Warburton will be given time to see it through, whether Warburton is even the right man to see it through, is not particulary relevant. What is important, is that regardless of who is at the helm, we stay on track and trade out of the mess we had gotten into. We, the supporters, have a huge role to play in this project, by staying calm and not losing our sh1t every time our young, inexperienced players go on a winless run

A very good post and I agree with it all. However for it to work you need to sign the right players and that's where we I feel we fall down. I'll grant you Dickie this year but everyone else could be a milestone around our necks.
Bye bye Bright on 11:04 - Jan 3 with 2417 viewsR_from_afar

Could be a load of rubbish, but sharing anyway

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Bye bye Bright on 11:15 - Jan 3 with 2382 viewsWatford_Ranger

Bye bye Bright on 11:04 - Jan 3 by R_from_afar

I doubt Sqenf Foot (?) would have an exclusive on anything plus that’s clearly been written by someone no older than 14 for bantz.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 11:16]
Bye bye Bright on 11:41 - Jan 3 with 2296 viewsR_from_afar

Bye bye Bright on 11:15 - Jan 3 by Watford_Ranger

I doubt Sqenf Foot (?) would have an exclusive on anything plus that’s clearly been written by someone no older than 14 for bantz.

"clearly been written by someone no older than 14 for bantz"

He's done well tor a 14 year old to get over 4000 followers and to have a half Turkish half French wife, but thanks anyway for your kind New Year message.

I just put it on here to share a rumour, not as a statement of fact and I did have a look at the poster's profile before sharing it. Messenger shot. Goodbye.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Bye bye Bright on 13:45 - Jan 3 with 2089 viewsdistortR

Bye bye Bright on 11:41 - Jan 3 by R_from_afar

He's done well tor a 14 year old to get over 4000 followers and to have a half Turkish half French wife, but thanks anyway for your kind New Year message.

I just put it on here to share a rumour, not as a statement of fact and I did have a look at the poster's profile before sharing it. Messenger shot. Goodbye.

a half Turkish, half French wife could really work.

I've been close to posting a couple of times that while BOS certainly hasn't looked happy, we have no idea of the cause of that. It's been assumed it's because he is still at Rangers, but like every worker, even a guilded one, he has an outside life.
Bye bye Bright on 14:07 - Jan 3 with 2047 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Can't help thinking that Samuel is handling this really badly, especially when compared to the dignified and respectful way Eze conducted himself.

He has seen that the club wouldn't stand in his way if an offer came in (as Palace for Eze), yet he won't sign a new contract to help his (skint) club - who brought him on and gave him his opportunity to shine as youngster - realise a realistic price for him. Maybe loyalty in football just isn't a thing anymore.

Maybe he'll go and play against (mainly) League One standard opposition in Scotland for Celtic, but Prem sides don't seem to be rushing to snap him up.

So, perhaps he wants to join a Championship side with half a chance of promotion. Factor in reports that he'd apparently like to stay in London... a move to Brentford would just put the icing on the cake for a perfect PR success!
Bye bye Bright on 14:11 - Jan 3 with 2028 viewsgazza1

Bye bye Bright on 14:07 - Jan 3 by Ashdown_Ranger

Can't help thinking that Samuel is handling this really badly, especially when compared to the dignified and respectful way Eze conducted himself.

He has seen that the club wouldn't stand in his way if an offer came in (as Palace for Eze), yet he won't sign a new contract to help his (skint) club - who brought him on and gave him his opportunity to shine as youngster - realise a realistic price for him. Maybe loyalty in football just isn't a thing anymore.

Maybe he'll go and play against (mainly) League One standard opposition in Scotland for Celtic, but Prem sides don't seem to be rushing to snap him up.

So, perhaps he wants to join a Championship side with half a chance of promotion. Factor in reports that he'd apparently like to stay in London... a move to Brentford would just put the icing on the cake for a perfect PR success!

How do you know that 'Samuel is handling this really badly'??

What has he done wrong??
Login to get fewer ads

Bye bye Bright on 14:23 - Jan 3 with 1999 viewsNorthantsHoop

I really like Bright as a player and at times he has been off the seat exciting, but that final ball is lacking. Would he be a fit at a Premier team, not so sure so he could go to another Championship side in the hunt for promotion. Look at Luke Freeman, OK he has got more money at Sheffield Utd, but has hardly set the Premier league alight and seems to have gone missing on loan at Notts Forest.
He was great at Rangers, able to cross a ball and seemed to be enjoying his football. I suppose old adage careful what you wish for, the reality is usually different.
Bye bye Bright on 14:31 - Jan 3 with 1960 viewsGreenbay

Bye bye Bright on 00:44 - Jan 3 by Myke

Great post Myke.
Thanks for such articulate sense.
Bye bye Bright on 15:58 - Jan 3 with 1843 viewsjohncharles

Bye bye Bright on 11:15 - Jan 3 by Watford_Ranger

To be fair, R from Afar did did put “could be a load of rubbish” as a heading

Strong and stable my arse.

Bye bye Bright on 16:20 - Jan 3 with 1812 viewskensalriser

Bye bye Bright on 11:04 - Jan 3 by R_from_afar

Well, quotation marks are being used, so the words are purportedly Bright's.

So do we believe his English is really that bad and that any Brit uses Mom instead of Mum, or do we think the quote was made up by someone whose first language isn't English?

And do we believe that West Ham would be interested?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bye bye Bright on 16:30 - Jan 3 with 1783 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bye bye Bright on 16:20 - Jan 3 by kensalriser

So do we believe his English is really that bad and that any Brit uses Mom instead of Mum, or do we think the quote was made up by someone whose first language isn't English?

And do we believe in life after love?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bye bye Bright on 16:35 - Jan 3 with 1769 viewsWatford_Ranger

Bye bye Bright on 11:41 - Jan 3 by R_from_afar

Bit OTT.
Bye bye Bright on 16:57 - Jan 3 with 1716 viewsMickS

Bye bye Bright on 16:35 - Jan 3 by Watford_Ranger

Bit OTT.

If he could turn back time.

Brian started it.

Hello R.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 16:58]
Bye bye Bright on 17:03 - Jan 3 with 1689 viewsMyke

Bye bye Bright on 14:11 - Jan 3 by gazza1

How do you know that 'Samuel is handling this really badly'??

What has he done wrong??

Possibly 'handling it badly' is a bit too strong, but there seems to be a fair bit of evidence that he is not trying as hard as he could be in certain games. We know he is capable of burning most full-backs if he can isolate them, and there have been times when he has clearly spurned opportunities to do that. There was no evidence of Eze playing within himself right up to including signing off with a super goal at WBA. Of course Eze was poor in some games after lockdown, and if BOS has a poor game that is not the same as not trying, but unfortunately there has been evidence of the latter in recent games too.
I think, he has been poorly advised, by presumably, his agent. If he signed a new 18 month contract, tore up the division for 6 months and get his preferred move in the summer, it's a win for everyone. 6 months is nothing, pandemic should be under control, vaccine wise and he can go wherever he wants
Bye bye Bright on 17:30 - Jan 3 with 1629 viewsBoston

Bye bye Bright on 16:20 - Jan 3 by kensalriser

Didn't move to the UK until he was 10, then went through a London Comprehensive. Amazing he can communicate at all to be truthful.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bye bye Bright on 18:11 - Jan 3 with 1548 viewsGloucs_R

So if he has signed a pre-contract with fenerbahce what do we do with him for the rest of the season?

I just can't see him going to Turkey.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bye bye Bright on 18:35 - Jan 3 with 1502 viewsMickS

Bye bye Bright on 18:11 - Jan 3 by Gloucs_R

So if he has signed a pre-contract with fenerbahce what do we do with him for the rest of the season?

I just can't see him going to Turkey.

Doesn’t make sense, does it.
Bye bye Bright on 18:39 - Jan 3 with 1491 viewsGloucs_R

Bye bye Bright on 18:35 - Jan 3 by MickS

Doesn’t make sense, does it.

Honestly, no. I don't get it. Unless it's all about money.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bye bye Bright on 19:01 - Jan 3 with 1459 viewsdachiltern

Bye bye Bright on 16:30 - Jan 3 by BrianMcCarthy

And do we believe in life after love?

She loved me once,, signed up and 34 years later I’m still wondering what sort of life I have!
Bye bye Bright on 19:19 - Jan 3 with 1433 viewsdavman

Bye bye Bright on 17:03 - Jan 3 by Myke

Possibly 'handling it badly' is a bit too strong, but there seems to be a fair bit of evidence that he is not trying as hard as he could be in certain games. We know he is capable of burning most full-backs if he can isolate them, and there have been times when he has clearly spurned opportunities to do that. There was no evidence of Eze playing within himself right up to including signing off with a super goal at WBA. Of course Eze was poor in some games after lockdown, and if BOS has a poor game that is not the same as not trying, but unfortunately there has been evidence of the latter in recent games too.
I think, he has been poorly advised, by presumably, his agent. If he signed a new 18 month contract, tore up the division for 6 months and get his preferred move in the summer, it's a win for everyone. 6 months is nothing, pandemic should be under control, vaccine wise and he can go wherever he wants

Sorry, Myke, but I think that he is getting the right advice for BOS. Stay here 'til the end of your contract, play well and come the summer, wherever QPR end up, you will have your pick of clubs willing to give you more money for playing football.

No transfer fee means increased wage and increased signing on fee.

WHY on earth would any player with an ounce of ability stay here? Build on the team we had this time last year and maybe progress could have been shown with a glimmer of hope that just for one season we could push on.

But, no. The QPR curse meant that team had to be dismantled because we can't afford (or to go with Clive's version, we don't deserve) nice things such as good Championship players. And what has been bought in?

Dykes for Hugill
Bonne for Wells
Wallace / Niko for Manning
Carroll for Eze
Adomah / Willock for Pugh
Kane /Kakay for Rangel

OK, so there's Dickie for Hall and Dieng for Lumley, but F-me, that is a serious downgrade and one that has proven to lose tons more games than it wins. Carrying a mid-table team is one thing, but carrying that pile of c**P to anything above 18th will be a thankless task. As a QPR fan, it hurts me to say it, but in his shoes (like Manning) the best he can do is get away from the steaming carcass we are likely to become.

Clearly, he is behaving in a manner unhelpful to his employer, but being fit and doing his job (even if some feel he is going through the motions) is all his CONTRACT asks of him. No more no less. This is not a loyalty issue, it is all about doing the job he is paid for.

If we could afford him, like Wells and Hugill I am fairly sure he would have signed. We can't so he hasn't.

Sorry.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bye bye Bright on 20:01 - Jan 3 with 1345 viewsMyke

Bye bye Bright on 19:19 - Jan 3 by davman

Sorry, Myke, but I think that he is getting the right advice for BOS. Stay here 'til the end of your contract, play well and come the summer, wherever QPR end up, you will have your pick of clubs willing to give you more money for playing football.

No transfer fee means increased wage and increased signing on fee.

WHY on earth would any player with an ounce of ability stay here? Build on the team we had this time last year and maybe progress could have been shown with a glimmer of hope that just for one season we could push on.

But, no. The QPR curse meant that team had to be dismantled because we can't afford (or to go with Clive's version, we don't deserve) nice things such as good Championship players. And what has been bought in?

Dykes for Hugill
Bonne for Wells
Wallace / Niko for Manning
Carroll for Eze
Adomah / Willock for Pugh
Kane /Kakay for Rangel

OK, so there's Dickie for Hall and Dieng for Lumley, but F-me, that is a serious downgrade and one that has proven to lose tons more games than it wins. Carrying a mid-table team is one thing, but carrying that pile of c**P to anything above 18th will be a thankless task. As a QPR fan, it hurts me to say it, but in his shoes (like Manning) the best he can do is get away from the steaming carcass we are likely to become.

Clearly, he is behaving in a manner unhelpful to his employer, but being fit and doing his job (even if some feel he is going through the motions) is all his CONTRACT asks of him. No more no less. This is not a loyalty issue, it is all about doing the job he is paid for.

If we could afford him, like Wells and Hugill I am fairly sure he would have signed. We can't so he hasn't.

Sorry.

Hmm, well if you were to pick through all your examples, then clearly we are much weaker up front (and it could be argued quite strongly that neither Willock or Adomah are a downgrade on Pugh) but stronger at the back (again, Kane was there last season so really you are comparing a 37 year old with a 20 whatever Kakay is, so while Rangel WAS a top quality full-back, potentially Kakay is more of an asset going forward) Similarly, at left back, it is generally agreed that Manning was a pretty poor defender, so (once again) we are no worse off defensively with Niko over Manning. Unfair to compare Carroll with Eze, Eze was our talisman, a one off that comes along once in a generation, Of course, we are worse off without him (any championship team would be), but Carroll is a decent creative mid-fielder who has improved us in that sector. Add in that Chair is a better player than last season, and on balance, we are simialr to last season, just in reverse, stronger at the back (this has been borne out in the last half a dozen games or so as they get to know each other better) but much weaker up front. This is the area that BOS COULD influence if he was in the mood every week (Like Rotherham/Brentford/Norwich), so you ask why would he stay and give his all, I say, why not?. He could be the main man going forward, improve Dykes with a better quality service (again Brentford), drag us up the table and leave in the summer with our best wishes and regrets, just like Eze
As for providing a 'glimmer of hope that just for one season we could push on'. See my earlier post, it is too early in our project. When we are ready in 3 or 4 years time then hopefully we will push on, not 'just for one season' but incrementally, year on year, until we are ready for a serious tilt at the Prem.
Bye bye Bright on 20:46 - Jan 3 with 1286 viewsdavman

Bye bye Bright on 20:01 - Jan 3 by Myke

Hmm, well if you were to pick through all your examples, then clearly we are much weaker up front (and it could be argued quite strongly that neither Willock or Adomah are a downgrade on Pugh) but stronger at the back (again, Kane was there last season so really you are comparing a 37 year old with a 20 whatever Kakay is, so while Rangel WAS a top quality full-back, potentially Kakay is more of an asset going forward) Similarly, at left back, it is generally agreed that Manning was a pretty poor defender, so (once again) we are no worse off defensively with Niko over Manning. Unfair to compare Carroll with Eze, Eze was our talisman, a one off that comes along once in a generation, Of course, we are worse off without him (any championship team would be), but Carroll is a decent creative mid-fielder who has improved us in that sector. Add in that Chair is a better player than last season, and on balance, we are simialr to last season, just in reverse, stronger at the back (this has been borne out in the last half a dozen games or so as they get to know each other better) but much weaker up front. This is the area that BOS COULD influence if he was in the mood every week (Like Rotherham/Brentford/Norwich), so you ask why would he stay and give his all, I say, why not?. He could be the main man going forward, improve Dykes with a better quality service (again Brentford), drag us up the table and leave in the summer with our best wishes and regrets, just like Eze
As for providing a 'glimmer of hope that just for one season we could push on'. See my earlier post, it is too early in our project. When we are ready in 3 or 4 years time then hopefully we will push on, not 'just for one season' but incrementally, year on year, until we are ready for a serious tilt at the Prem.

I can see how you come to your conclusions with your optimism over my pessimism, but I am really worried that this "new" project is going to start with a relegation.

This squad could play some good football if they were safely midtable, but they are a long, long way from that.

The spine is far, far too weak to fight our way up the league.

Forest, Derby and Wednesday will not stay below us for long, so we have to catch Brum or Cov. Just not convinced that will happen.

Still, the main point of my post was that BOS will do what is right for BOS, not QPR, and I for one can't blame him for that...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bye bye Bright on 10:12 - Jan 4 with 1099 viewsMyke

Bye bye Bright on 20:46 - Jan 3 by davman

I can see how you come to your conclusions with your optimism over my pessimism, but I am really worried that this "new" project is going to start with a relegation.

This squad could play some good football if they were safely midtable, but they are a long, long way from that.

The spine is far, far too weak to fight our way up the league.

Forest, Derby and Wednesday will not stay below us for long, so we have to catch Brum or Cov. Just not convinced that will happen.

Still, the main point of my post was that BOS will do what is right for BOS, not QPR, and I for one can't blame him for that...

Don't get me wrong, I am not blind to our current predicament and 4 points from the last 8 games is 100% relegation form and must be addressed. Hoping there are three teams 'worse than us' is also unacceptable for the fans, especially in a season when the overall standard is poor.
I agree, we need some short term-additions to stay in this division, just as Warburton did last season with Wells and Hugill - we would have been in deep sh1t without their goals last season. There is nothing wrong with short term strategies to maintain our status, as long as it doesn't interfere with the overall plan and doesn't retard the progress of the players we need to improve and sell on. Of course we need someone who'll stiffen up our mid-field and we need someone who will stick the ball in the back of the net at least 10 times in the second half of the season, whether that person is Rhodes, remains to be seen. He has the pedigree, whether he still has the desire is another matter.
But to re-focus on Bright, I'm sure you are right, he will do what is best for him. My argument is, that signing an 18 month deal, tearing up the division for six months and then leaving, COULD be the right thing for him , if he went about it the right way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024