Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton Vans - Match Thread 10:22 - Jan 11 with 56003 viewsCFW

Never had the confidence to start a match thread, going early and hoping first time lucky!!

The obvious questions - will Charlie start? will he be used as an impact sub and can we keep a clean sheet? I really, really hope and pray that bringing him back works out for both sides. There are two Charlie Austins - the one we took on, burning desire to do well, worked very hard for the team, played on even though he was in a lot of pain and gave everything to every game. The other, unfortunately, (if you read and believe the reports) is someone who lost his desire, had his head turned, went off the rails, put on a load of timber and is not, and will never be the same man or player he was in the past. Could go either way, but I hope for both the club and his sake it goes well for him and I wish him all the very best of luck.

I am going for a 1-2 win - and after being awarded a penalty Charlie picks up the ball and gives it to Dykes who slams it into the back of the net to win us the match. They embrace and it is the start of a beautiful partnership.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 12 with 1933 viewsqueensparker

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:24 - Jan 12 by VancouverHoop

Yeah, the clean sheet was important, and a win with daylight between us and the oppo, also key.

First goal was the key thing. It seems like ages that we had a lead, and hung onto it for most of the match. I think the defence has actually improved in recent matches, but it's hard to notice when we never score goals in support.

It's true - someone wiser than me said the problem this year is that we're trying to play last year's football with this year's team.

This year's team can defend a whole lot better, so we just need to go all out to get that first goal and then have confidence we can counter attack while defending. Tonight was a good example.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:39 - Jan 12 with 1903 viewsHunterhoop

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 12 by queensparker

It's true - someone wiser than me said the problem this year is that we're trying to play last year's football with this year's team.

This year's team can defend a whole lot better, so we just need to go all out to get that first goal and then have confidence we can counter attack while defending. Tonight was a good example.

Interesting perspective.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:42 - Jan 12 with 1881 viewsCiderwithRsie

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:20 - Jan 12 by steveo04

Anyone else see Bonne message , R.I.P SIS I MISS YOU . Anybody know if that recent or it happen between the Derby goal and tonight ?

Just did a quick google and found an interview from when he joined Orient back in 2017. Asked about superstitions he says he hasn't any but has a tattoo of his late sister's name on his arm and always whispers something to her before each match.

So apparently not recent, but you don't forget, do you?
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:53 - Jan 12 with 1813 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:31 - Jan 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another game gone with Dykes not scoring and that's his job.

Not even an assist so while he may have done a lot of good running around it's still a fail to me

You can start your downvotes now
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 22:34]

I'm not going to give you a downvote, but your comment definitely has a vibe of getting more satisfaction from him not scoring than him playing well.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:54 - Jan 12 with 1807 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:31 - Jan 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another game gone with Dykes not scoring and that's his job.

Not even an assist so while he may have done a lot of good running around it's still a fail to me

You can start your downvotes now
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 22:34]

I'm not downvoting you, but I thought Dykes played very well.

I thought that Austin was clearly the best player on the pitch while he was on, but over the full 90 Dykes was as effective as anyone. He set up many attacks, the early chance that Austin stubbed, set up Adomah for his square ball assist for Bonne's goal, pressed really intelligently, defended back really well and - more importantly for the future - looked to have gelled instantly with Austin.

He had one chance after a 1-2 with Austin, and it was well saved.

If all of that's a "fail" then you're hard to please.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:00 - Jan 12 with 1764 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:42 - Jan 12 by CiderwithRsie

Just did a quick google and found an interview from when he joined Orient back in 2017. Asked about superstitions he says he hasn't any but has a tattoo of his late sister's name on his arm and always whispers something to her before each match.

So apparently not recent, but you don't forget, do you?

I've always thought the booking for a shirt lift (oo er) was 99% unnecessary. I think if a player goes to the ref first to ask and it's not commercial then it should be allowed. Footballers aren't Robots as much as we'd like them to be. This is a nice gesture that probably means a lot to him and his family.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:00 - Jan 12 with 1754 viewsNoelmc

Credit to Warbs too. He made the right call to start Charlie and his substitutions worked out well. A totally deserved win but once again it demonstrated the fine margins between success and failure in this league. One outstanding save by Dieng to keep our lead intact was followed shortly by the killer second goal. Let’s hope we can build on this Saturday with a win against Wycombe which should provide breathing space above the relegation places. Then we can go on to have a good finish to the season.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:02 - Jan 12 with 1743 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:00 - Jan 12 by Noelmc

Credit to Warbs too. He made the right call to start Charlie and his substitutions worked out well. A totally deserved win but once again it demonstrated the fine margins between success and failure in this league. One outstanding save by Dieng to keep our lead intact was followed shortly by the killer second goal. Let’s hope we can build on this Saturday with a win against Wycombe which should provide breathing space above the relegation places. Then we can go on to have a good finish to the season.

I never saw him starting Charlie to be honest. I thought some saliva based fitness test would have ruled him out for the first hour.
Login to get fewer ads

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:03 - Jan 12 with 1734 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 12 by queensparker

Ya, food for thought. I agree with it.

I do think we've changed our style recently.
I reluctantly made my mind up a month ago that we should replace Warburton as his Plan A wasn't working and his Plan B later on in games even less so. I also thought he looked tired and/or defensive in his media appearances

But we've changed our formation and our tactics over the last few games. Tonight there was another tweak from 343 to 3412, for example. We're looking to boss the middle when teams come at us but when we have the ball we're hitting the wings or going long.

Defensively we are getting back quicker and we are far more organised, with clear defensive lines when the oppo come at us, no-one's coming through the middle much anymore. We're trying to push them outside.

Kudos to Warburton for the last few games.

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:05 - Jan 12 with 1733 viewsMatch82

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 21:42 - Jan 12 by ted_hendrix

Watch Charlie's goal, he's not static when the ball comes in he sneaks away from his marker and he's got all the time in the world to head it in.

One for the training ground

I think that's all instinct Ted. Pure class. Three players right next to me? Sod this, I'll back off into room so if something comes near me I'm all over it.
I hope that's the kind of thing he can have a word with dykes about
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:11 - Jan 12 with 1698 viewsBoston

BTW...I think the comment from London re 'tatty', was in reference to Luton in general.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:23 - Jan 12 with 1668 viewsWatfordR

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:05 - Jan 12 by Match82

I think that's all instinct Ted. Pure class. Three players right next to me? Sod this, I'll back off into room so if something comes near me I'm all over it.
I hope that's the kind of thing he can have a word with dykes about

Referring back to the Fulham game, that lateish chance when BOS drilled the ball across goal from the left, at the time I found myself thinking that Wells would have "gambled" on that ball coming in and moved earlier to make sure he could get his toe on that cross. Similar to what he did for Bristol City for his goal at LR earlier this season.

With respect to Dykes, Bonne and Kelman, if they knew to do that at their relative career development stages, they'd probably not be our players unless we were very very lucky. And we wouldn't get more than a year out of them if they were.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:29 - Jan 12 with 1648 viewsManinBlack

Brilliant result now I hope we can kick on. It is about time we won at home so here's hoping Saturday.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:32 - Jan 12 with 1631 viewsdavman

Solid, pleasing performance.

Dieng immense. His save towards the end stopped the inevitable undeserved equaliser. Thank fck that stayed out.

Kane improved from a rocky start and had a good game. I feel BOS is wasted as a WB, but he put effort in and played well. Just wish he looked for the cut back instead of shooting from narrow angles. Cap USA, Le TippyTap and Biggus Dickie-us really really pleasing, especially Rob.
Dom Ball great and LTC effective. Illias not quite at his best, Dykes a minor revelation with a proper player next to him.

But I forgot how good Charlie can be. Remember that when we had him, we had much better players around him, so he should shine. Just hope we can get back to the stadium to encourage him to take a huge pay cut to see his day's out with us.

Great finish by Bonne too. He and Dykes certainly put a shift in tonight. Let's hope this is a Kevin Gallen returning moment as opposed to yet another false dawn.

Well done all!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 0:41]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 12 with 1605 views2Thomas2Bowles

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:54 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not downvoting you, but I thought Dykes played very well.

I thought that Austin was clearly the best player on the pitch while he was on, but over the full 90 Dykes was as effective as anyone. He set up many attacks, the early chance that Austin stubbed, set up Adomah for his square ball assist for Bonne's goal, pressed really intelligently, defended back really well and - more importantly for the future - looked to have gelled instantly with Austin.

He had one chance after a 1-2 with Austin, and it was well saved.

If all of that's a "fail" then you're hard to please.

Yes I'm being hard and will carry on being hard on him, he wears the number 9 shirt and he has to live up to that or find another number, he is not a 10 so don't know where he fits. Bonne is ahead of him in the strikers role as far as I see. You should earn the shirt not just be given it.

That should be true of every player be they a keeper, defender, mf or striker.
If he were a keeper he would have been dropped a long time ago.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 23:39]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:41 - Jan 12 with 1596 viewsWatford_Ranger

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yes I'm being hard and will carry on being hard on him, he wears the number 9 shirt and he has to live up to that or find another number, he is not a 10 so don't know where he fits. Bonne is ahead of him in the strikers role as far as I see. You should earn the shirt not just be given it.

Think the numbers are fixed for the season but if he was wearing number 52 I don’t think his bad performances would be better or his good performances worse.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:43 - Jan 12 with 1590 viewsrsonist

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:00 - Jan 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

I've always thought the booking for a shirt lift (oo er) was 99% unnecessary. I think if a player goes to the ref first to ask and it's not commercial then it should be allowed. Footballers aren't Robots as much as we'd like them to be. This is a nice gesture that probably means a lot to him and his family.

You get the booking because it's not commercial.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:53 - Jan 12 with 1555 views2Thomas2Bowles

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:41 - Jan 12 by Watford_Ranger

Think the numbers are fixed for the season but if he was wearing number 52 I don’t think his bad performances would be better or his good performances worse.

Pocky numbers now days I'm old school. It's a position as well as a number., Clearly CA thinks rightly he is the number 9 with taking the 45 in the stupid squad numbering

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 00:03 - Jan 13 with 1531 viewsRangersw12

Don't know who needed that win more the club or my mental health

Thought it was similar to a lot of performances this season but the difference is that we had a quality striker upfront and took our chances.

Also thought Dykes thrived with having the pressure off him and his touch looked a lot better. The link up play with him and Charlie was good to see and can see a decent partnership developing over time

Onwards and upwards
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 00:08 - Jan 13 with 1517 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 23:37 - Jan 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

We were just talking about his performance tonight, to be fair.

My post was that I thought he played well, relying to yours that said it was a "fail".

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 00:34 - Jan 13 with 1480 viewsBoston

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 22:12 - Jan 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Who would you drop/rest, Northants?
Or would you change from 3412/343?

I'd change, as phone numbers go it really doesn't have a ring to it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 00:40 - Jan 13 with 1474 viewsjohncharles

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 21:02 - Jan 12 by RatKingCole

Macca goal

https://streamja.com/ZJr2O

A thing of beauty 😀

Strong and stable my arse.

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 06:51 - Jan 13 with 1242 viewsMickS

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 00:40 - Jan 13 by johncharles

A thing of beauty 😀

Lovely ball by Dykes to set Uncle up for the cross.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 15:28 - Jan 13 with 961 viewsthemodfather

big win, charlie seems to have enthusiasm and energy, hoping this affects the team , a goal already leading to a win and a 5pt gap from the bottom 3. LOVE IT.
Luton Vans - Match Thread on 15:33 - Jan 13 with 949 viewsPinnerPaul

Luton Vans - Match Thread on 19:55 - Jan 12 by BklynRanger

According to the half time stats Looooton's defence has won 67% of their tackles and we've won 0%.

Unacceptable.

Yeah I saw that last night, but don't worry they 'corrected' it to 87% tackles won by Luton us 0%

Also said Dieng made no catches 1st half!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024