Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely it was more than that thread... 14:41 - Jan 13 with 2177 viewsEsox_Lucius

England caps.
Stan Bowles 5
Terry Venables 2
Dave Thomas 8
Rodney Marsh 9
David Bardsley 2
Gerry Francis 12
Andy Sinton 12
for perspective, Jordan Henderson has more than all of them put together.

The grass is always greener.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 14:43 - Jan 13 with 1720 viewsloftboy

“Surely it was more than that “
Is what I say every month that I read my payslip!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:00 - Jan 13 with 1662 viewsStanisgod

Gerrys was down to injury, if fit would have gone to a bigger club and been England captain for years.
Bards and Sinton just criminally small amount.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:06 - Jan 13 with 1632 viewsQPR_John

Is it really surprising, any player half as good from a "big" club got the nod over those. Bardsley being overlooked for Dixon being the most obvious example.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:11 - Jan 13 with 1613 viewsWatford_Ranger

Even allowing for the wealth of strikers at the time, 17 caps for Les is scandalous.

Nick Barmby got 23.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:23 - Jan 13 with 1583 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:11 - Jan 13 by Watford_Ranger

Even allowing for the wealth of strikers at the time, 17 caps for Les is scandalous.

Nick Barmby got 23.

Wouldn't myself have put Les ahead of Shearer, Sheringham and Owen.

It all depends on who else is in the squad.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 15:25]
Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:36 - Jan 13 with 1543 viewsplasmahoop

Stan was slightly before my time unfortunately, but his low number of england caps always vexed my dad. He blamed Don revie, saying he tried to get the England team like a club team, getting them playing bingo the night before. But we never qualified in 74 or 78, so something was amiss anyway
Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:38 - Jan 13 with 1533 viewssexton

Dave Clement won 5 and Ian Gillard 3.

And the idiot Graham Taylor didn't take Bardsley to the 1992 Euros when he was the best right back in the country, playing Sinton there for a couple of games instead.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:41 - Jan 13 with 1525 viewsjohann28

Gerry Francis 12. Says it all. Best English midfielder I've ever seen by a country mile.
Login to get fewer ads

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:46 - Jan 13 with 1512 viewsEsox_Lucius

When you think Geoff Thomas was capped 9 times, and Carlton Palmer 18, it makes you wonder about the competency of some of the clowns we have had as national managers.

The grass is always greener.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:02 - Jan 13 with 1475 viewsQPROslo

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:41 - Jan 13 by johann28

Gerry Francis 12. Says it all. Best English midfielder I've ever seen by a country mile.

Yes He was really good before he got that back injury after the 75/76 season. Played brilliantly for England, and Captained them 8 times, scored 3 in 12 games.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:06 - Jan 13 with 1467 viewsdaveB

Nick Barmby got 23.

A lot of very good forwards in the 90's though, you had Wright, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Le Tissier, Merson, Barmby and others I've probably forgotten plus a lot less international games then as well.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:09 - Jan 13 with 1458 viewsaston_hoop

On the other hand, Kieron Dyer won 33 caps. Dont seem to recall any of them

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:14 - Jan 13 with 1449 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nick Barmby got 23.

Always thought Sheringham got away with it for England. Nice haircut, outside of the boot, all that jazz, but 51 caps? Really?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:16 - Jan 13 with 1446 viewsWestbourneR

Sir Les was second only to Shearer. An incredible player.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:20 - Jan 13 with 1431 viewsTomcat75

Surely it was more than that thread... on 16:16 - Jan 13 by WestbourneR

Sir Les was second only to Shearer. An incredible player.

Clive Wilson 0
Surely it was more than that thread... on 17:14 - Jan 14 with 1258 viewsPaddyhoops

In fairness if Gary waddock had declared for England . You could another 40 to that!!
Maybe😉
Surely it was more than that thread... on 17:16 - Jan 14 with 1246 viewsTripleR

Add Phil Parkes to the list. One cap.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 17:24 - Jan 14 with 1230 viewsTacticalR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 15:36 - Jan 13 by plasmahoop

Stan was slightly before my time unfortunately, but his low number of england caps always vexed my dad. He blamed Don revie, saying he tried to get the England team like a club team, getting them playing bingo the night before. But we never qualified in 74 or 78, so something was amiss anyway

The England team was pretty dour in the seventies, with no room for flair players (not that we had that many).

Air hostess clique

Surely it was more than that thread... on 18:10 - Jan 14 with 1196 viewsMedwayR

England had an incredible wealth of strikers in the 90’s but Les should’ve got more caps. The best example being Euro 96, Sir Les was PFA Player of the Year and didn’t get a minute of football, Robbie Fowler did however.

Poll: Who’s better?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 18:16 - Jan 14 with 1182 viewsMedwayR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 18:10 - Jan 14 by MedwayR

England had an incredible wealth of strikers in the 90’s but Les should’ve got more caps. The best example being Euro 96, Sir Les was PFA Player of the Year and didn’t get a minute of football, Robbie Fowler did however.

I feel we’re lacking Charlie Austin threads so...Charlie Austin 0 caps.

Poll: Who’s better?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 18:55 - Jan 14 with 1132 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ian Gillard 3 caps Phil Neville 59 caps Gerry Francis 12 caps Jermaine Jenas 21 caps Dave Thomas 8 caps Shaun Wright Phillips 36 caps Sir Les 17 caps Emile Heskey 62 caps and just to show it's not just Rangers Kevin Phillips 8 caps Darius Vassell 22 caps how the hell did he win that many and who were the 6 goals against
Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:20 - Jan 14 with 1104 viewsCamberleyR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 17:24 - Jan 14 by TacticalR

The England team was pretty dour in the seventies, with no room for flair players (not that we had that many).

"no room for flair players (not that we had that many)"

Peter Osgood
Charlie George
Rodney Marsh
Alan Hudson
Frank Worthington
Tony Currie
Stan Bowles

46 caps for that lot by the way with Currie winning seventeen of them. Stan won five caps under three different managers.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:30 - Jan 14 with 1078 viewsQPROslo

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:20 - Jan 14 by CamberleyR

Peter Osgood
Charlie George
Rodney Marsh
Alan Hudson
Frank Worthington
Tony Currie
Stan Bowles

46 caps for that lot by the way with Currie winning seventeen of them. Stan won five caps under three different managers.

Only point I disagree with there is that Stan Bowles should be top of the list.

You could add Dave Thomas, Gerry Francis, and Webby.
Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:40 - Jan 14 with 1067 viewsjohncharles

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:20 - Jan 14 by CamberleyR

Peter Osgood
Charlie George
Rodney Marsh
Alan Hudson
Frank Worthington
Tony Currie
Stan Bowles

Scandalous that these players weren’t picked, scandalous that the paying punter didn’t get a chance to see them play for their country. All down to poor managers. Dreadful managers most of the time.
Couldn’t handle maverick players no matter how talented. Blazer and tie was far more important.
Harsh on those managers ? Look what Warnock did with Adel . I rest my case.
Warnock for England !

Strong and stable my arse.

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:46 - Jan 14 with 1056 viewsCamberleyR

Surely it was more than that thread... on 19:30 - Jan 14 by QPROslo

Only point I disagree with there is that Stan Bowles should be top of the list.

You could add Dave Thomas, Gerry Francis, and Webby.

The list was in no particular order, just who I thought of off the top of my head.

Amazing that Dave Thomas didn't win a single cap after 1975 and won all of his England caps in a period of just over a year. Revie seemed to like him as a player and then just dropped him like a stone.

Even after he left us in 1977 (sob..) for Everton he was still the best winger in the country by a mile. Bob Latchford must have loved playing up front with DT on the wing.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024