Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - next season...? 13:36 - Jan 14 with 9444 viewsAshdown_Ranger

OK, Chaz is only just back though the front door at Loftus Road...

His contract will be up at West Brom in the summer and he'll be a free agent - turning 32 in July.

If West Brom stay up, they won't want him, but they might offer him a new contract if relegated.

Spotrac have him on £70,000 a week currently - https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-bromwich-albion-fc/charlie-austin-22948/ - obviously this will be much reduced in the Championship next season.

An EFL report among Championship clubs last year showed that the highest paid players in each club were paid on on average £29,000 per week (one club was paying £68,000 a week). These are 'basic' wages, with bonuses paid on top.

No idea where we sit in that report, but I'd guess in the bottom third.

I'm assuming we'll want to sign him in the summer if he does well, stays more or less fit - and that we're not relegated. But I can't imagine we'd be able to offer him more than £20k-ish. There are players who'd take a financial hit to play for the club they love - but would Charlie?

He's making all the right noises at the moment, but would he sign for us if the likes of Watford, Swansea, Bristol City or Forest come knocking with a few more quid in their pockets?
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:19 - Jan 16 with 1599 viewskarl

In terms of business sense football very rarely has any when player wages are concerned but one way of valuing Charlie's long term return to the club if we took up an expensive 3yr deal, let's say £4m total cost, would be the potential value he adds to our young 'assets'.
Dykes supplying Austin as he did against Luton is a definite £5-6m player, there's £4m straight away, but when you see McBurnie going for £20+m then that's feasible too.
Without Austin, Dykes was struggling so if a motivated Charlie was given that responsibility within the squad would that be a way of putting a tangible benefit to his wages/cost?
I'm sure if we got a high fee for Dykes then other players would be similarly boosted, hopefully wide players like Willock.
I think Chair was on an upward trajectory anyway so would be false to claim any direct benefits to his game yet.
Other way of looking at this could be that Charlie doesn't sign but if he continues to gave the same impact till end of the season it will have shown MW etc the type of player needed to make the younger players click and that replacing him correctly would still have the benefits of the players increasing in value.

Edit
One thing I was wondering is the racehorses, are they seen as a business to him or are they a loss making hobby?
If a business and its based near to where he can live while playing for us then that might factor into his decision making, build his business while still earning decent money and enabling him to transfer to it at a higher income when he finishes playing football.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2021 14:29]
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:27 - Jan 16 with 1577 viewsQPR_John

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:14 - Jan 16 by rsonist

No, although that does burn his bridges somewhat too. Just the declaring true love for the club, refusing to see himself as a veteran, family happiness etc on radio, podcasts, club comms... no one''s forcing him to do it. It won't tarnish his legacy but the more he piles up to contradict the more unseemly it'll be. I guess the clubs would cop the brunt of the frustration though.

I agree, clearly all players make the right noises when they move to a new club, but Austin has really made a point.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:40 - Jan 16 with 1549 viewsTacticalR

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:14 - Jan 16 by rsonist

No, although that does burn his bridges somewhat too. Just the declaring true love for the club, refusing to see himself as a veteran, family happiness etc on radio, podcasts, club comms... no one''s forcing him to do it. It won't tarnish his legacy but the more he piles up to contradict the more unseemly it'll be. I guess the clubs would cop the brunt of the frustration though.

Ah, I see...some hostages to fortune in there.

Did anyone notice that he also said you can't play Warbsball at Luton?

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:30 - Jan 16 with 1488 viewsnumptydumpty

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:54 - Jan 14 by collegeranger

I believe that he still lives in Wokingham area and has done since moving there whilst playing for us first time round. Would assume that its one of the reasons coming back to us suits him. With his kids growing the prospect of signing for a northern club wont appeal and I would guess would love a 3 year contract but a 2 year + 1 year option is probably the max anyone would offer.
If it works out this time round offer him the deal plus get has badges and working as striking coach at the same time!

I was told by someone who gets post delivered by same postman to Charlie's house in Wokingham that the Austin family sold their property

With such knowledge does that mean I am now the official ITK official forum representative.....

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:11 - Jan 16 with 1456 viewsTGRRRSSS

He might have kept the asset and rented it out, he could easily get 3K per month for a decent sized property in Wokingham area - if not more.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:23 - Jan 16 with 1433 viewsTacticalR

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:11 - Jan 16 by TGRRRSSS

He might have kept the asset and rented it out, he could easily get 3K per month for a decent sized property in Wokingham area - if not more.

If the current scheme to sell on players doesn't work out, could the club perhaps get into property investment and renting in the Wokingham area?

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:26 - Jan 16 with 1426 viewsTGRRRSSS

There's potential all around the western M25 Corridor.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:41 - Jan 16 with 1388 viewskernowhoop

One thing at a time. He is here to help sort out 2020-2021. He has made a good start. Next season is a long way off. He seems likely to enjoy it here, but we should not get carried away about what happens next. He won't.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 10:33 - Jan 17 with 1318 viewskarl

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:41 - Jan 16 by kernowhoop

One thing at a time. He is here to help sort out 2020-2021. He has made a good start. Next season is a long way off. He seems likely to enjoy it here, but we should not get carried away about what happens next. He won't.

One thing is for certain, he and/or his agent will absolutely be targeting what his situation will be next season. As would anyone on a short term contract.
Loads of positive soundbites and hitting the ground running has given him a good negotiating position and he'd be a fool not to take advantage
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 10:33 - Jan 28 with 1154 viewsrsonist

Another day, another interview.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/01/28/charlie-austin-exclusive-intervi

Charlie Austin could talk for England. The 31-year-old speaks with a directness and clarity perfect for modern broadcasting - so much so that, when passing on some tips last week, a radio pro told the striker he could only offer nitpicking advice. He called Austin “a natural".

“I would like to dip my toe into the broadcast stuff,” Austin says. “Everybody's trying to do that at the moment. so it's an easy one isn't it?”

[...]

Austin talks about the domino effect strong characters can have at a club. A senior pro sets the tone, others follow the example, before you know it you’ve got a purposeful squad and a club heading in the right direction. He says he learned from former QPR loudmouth Joey Barton in his first spell at Loftus Road and Jose Fonte at Southampton. “He was a captain, he was a leader, a warrior, someone that you wanted to play for. He could grab the whole dressing room and you'd want to follow.”

[...]

He returns repeatedly to his focus on succeeding with QPR, a six month project which will take him to the end of his loan spell and his contract with West Brom “Would I like it to all come together with QPR? Yeah of course I would.”
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:18 - Jan 28 with 1041 viewsrobith

Dunno if it's been picked up but he's effectively running Oddschecker's new podcast with Oli Bell
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024