Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - next season...? 13:36 - Jan 14 with 9674 viewsAshdown_Ranger

OK, Chaz is only just back though the front door at Loftus Road...

His contract will be up at West Brom in the summer and he'll be a free agent - turning 32 in July.

If West Brom stay up, they won't want him, but they might offer him a new contract if relegated.

Spotrac have him on £70,000 a week currently - https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-bromwich-albion-fc/charlie-austin-22948/ - obviously this will be much reduced in the Championship next season.

An EFL report among Championship clubs last year showed that the highest paid players in each club were paid on on average £29,000 per week (one club was paying £68,000 a week). These are 'basic' wages, with bonuses paid on top.

No idea where we sit in that report, but I'd guess in the bottom third.

I'm assuming we'll want to sign him in the summer if he does well, stays more or less fit - and that we're not relegated. But I can't imagine we'd be able to offer him more than £20k-ish. There are players who'd take a financial hit to play for the club they love - but would Charlie?

He's making all the right noises at the moment, but would he sign for us if the likes of Watford, Swansea, Bristol City or Forest come knocking with a few more quid in their pockets?
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:39 - Jan 14 with 4177 viewsdaveB

One to worry about in the summer but if he does well for us he would be a bit of a no brainer signing on a free. West Brom do have a years option on him though
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:44 - Jan 14 with 4138 viewsterryb

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:39 - Jan 14 by daveB

One to worry about in the summer but if he does well for us he would be a bit of a no brainer signing on a free. West Brom do have a years option on him though

They wouldn't be offering him a new contract if Alladyce is still manager.

Matt Smith is far more a Samuel type player than Charlie!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:48 - Jan 14 with 4114 viewsChrisNW6

Sadly I think we would need to smash our wage structure to fully pay his wages and this is probably not an option. I think our current top earners are between 12-15k a week, with a club max of 20k. If he scores 8-10 goals before end of season, there will be a number of Championship clubs willing to pay 40k plus for his services.

Not sure if the club could offer him a signing on fee to make up the loss in wages?

Anyway currently hypothetical, as the main target is survival this year as it was last year with both Hugill and Wells. Can see this going the same way.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:49 - Jan 14 with 4110 viewsTGRRRSSS

Lets see how everything goes for now, including injuries, but I do think QPR suits Charlie in many ways, he kind of belongs, his family seem to like the place, and it's not that far from Hungerford (in relative terms) for his family life, which I think was one of the reasons he went to Southampton as opposed to say Crystal Palace, which I thought at the time was a better fit fort him at the time.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:49 - Jan 14 with 4110 viewsBklynRanger

Think I read recently (on here?) that we've got the 4th lowest wage bill? Even if that's slightly wrong it's hard to imagine us bridging the gap between what he'd accept and what we can offer. I'm just enjoying it while it lasts tbh.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:53 - Jan 14 with 4089 viewsW7Ranger

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:48 - Jan 14 by ChrisNW6

Sadly I think we would need to smash our wage structure to fully pay his wages and this is probably not an option. I think our current top earners are between 12-15k a week, with a club max of 20k. If he scores 8-10 goals before end of season, there will be a number of Championship clubs willing to pay 40k plus for his services.

Not sure if the club could offer him a signing on fee to make up the loss in wages?

Anyway currently hypothetical, as the main target is survival this year as it was last year with both Hugill and Wells. Can see this going the same way.

You think a club would pay 40k per week for a 32 year old, who has had the odd injury problems too?
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:17 - Jan 14 with 4002 viewsrobith

I very ,uch suspect this is a one and done perfect storm of events that's got him here.

At 32 could well be his final contract so he'll need to get decent wages and a lumpy signing on fee
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:26 - Jan 14 with 3974 viewsJuzzie

I'm not sure any other PL club would take him now, not on anything even close to £40k+

I'm sure he's set-up for life financially so is it a case of maybe getting that lucrative last contract on ££££££ but being unhappy or being at QPR for 2 more years on ££ and being happy.

Only he knows.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:33 - Jan 14 with 3961 viewsgobbles

Presumably the year option would be at his present wages, so if West Brom get relegated that would be a definite no.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:35 - Jan 14 with 3947 viewstoboboly

Play on his heart strings, hope he has enough in the bank already, but expect not to see him back after this season.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:54 - Jan 14 with 3889 viewscollegeranger

I believe that he still lives in Wokingham area and has done since moving there whilst playing for us first time round. Would assume that its one of the reasons coming back to us suits him. With his kids growing the prospect of signing for a northern club wont appeal and I would guess would love a 3 year contract but a 2 year + 1 year option is probably the max anyone would offer.
If it works out this time round offer him the deal plus get has badges and working as striking coach at the same time!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:57 - Jan 14 with 3872 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:33 - Jan 14 by gobbles

Presumably the year option would be at his present wages, so if West Brom get relegated that would be a definite no.

year option for them basically means they can get a fee for him and you'd have thought they could still sell him for a few million to a championship side. Burnley had the same with Wells
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:59 - Jan 14 with 3846 views2Thomas2Bowles

I take it it's only to steady the ship this season, nothing more.

Tomcat may know more.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:04 - Jan 14 with 3828 viewsTomS

Does anyone know how FFP is supposed to work in a pandemic, with income slashed?

Aspirations of paying Charlie anything like he is worth, or what he would secure elsewhere, are surely just dreams. WBA have done us a big favour in allowing him come on loan. I would suggest the fee we paid was relatively modest compared to his wages.

Let's just enjoy the moment while he's here. Hopefully he'll help keep us up, which is our primary concern.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:07 - Jan 14 with 3806 viewsMyke

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:59 - Jan 14 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I take it it's only to steady the ship this season, nothing more.

Tomcat may know more.

I agree with the first sentence (the second is open to conjecture!). The hope is, that not only will he have weighed in with 6-10 goals (no pressure), but he will have improved Bonne and Dykes so much that they are ready for next season.
Wells loved us too - until Bristol City offered more dosh
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:09 - Jan 14 with 3797 viewsnix

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:57 - Jan 14 by daveB

year option for them basically means they can get a fee for him and you'd have thought they could still sell him for a few million to a championship side. Burnley had the same with Wells

It's a bit of a risk though isn't it? Charlie only has to go where he wants to. He's not going to move his family for a year up to Blackburn or Forest or whoever would pay for him if he didn't want to, so they may be stuck with him on the bench again or paying half his wages while he plays for us.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:18 - Jan 14 with 3763 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:09 - Jan 14 by nix

It's a bit of a risk though isn't it? Charlie only has to go where he wants to. He's not going to move his family for a year up to Blackburn or Forest or whoever would pay for him if he didn't want to, so they may be stuck with him on the bench again or paying half his wages while he plays for us.

yeah would be a risk for them, as i say one for the summer, He might only play a handful of games for us and we wouldn't want him, he might do well and have a bigger club in for him who knows but if it goes well makes sense to try and keep him. Furlong took a big wage cut to play for us years back so he could play regular football, might be able to do something similar
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:20 - Jan 14 with 3755 viewskensalriser

If he does well it will be the same story as with Hugill and Wells.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:20 - Jan 14 with 3752 viewscyprusmel

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:57 - Jan 14 by daveB

WBA have to think carefully about triggering Charlies option if they do Charlie could sit on his bum for a year and keep taking his 70,000 grand and at 33 years old this July, he might just decide that 3 million plus will see him out.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:29 - Jan 14 with 3716 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:20 - Jan 14 by kensalriser

If he does well it will be the same story as with Hugill and Wells.

We stay up.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:43 - Jan 14 with 3674 viewsbosh67

It depends. He's reputedly got a net worth of well over £5 million and he can almost certainly earn a few more at least before his career ends. If WBA release him from his contract he could I guess get a high signing on fee here and then have a lower wage to suit the structure. I don't know how that effects our FFP.

If he wants to earn good money and enjoy his football he may opt to earn a lot less given what he has 'in the bank' and stay here. If he feels he needs further future financial stability then that is something his family and him decide.

It really comes down to how he sees his future. He's only 32 next birthday. He could play for another 3-5 years.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:07 - Jan 14 with 3552 viewsdavman

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:26 - Jan 14 by Juzzie

I'm not sure any other PL club would take him now, not on anything even close to £40k+

I'm sure he's set-up for life financially so is it a case of maybe getting that lucrative last contract on ££££££ but being unhappy or being at QPR for 2 more years on ££ and being happy.

Only he knows.

This.

A real test of his love for us.

No way will we ever come close to what he has been earning no matter how well he does. If he does even half a job for us, he will have offers from others that will dwarf anything we can afford to offer.

Just like Wells, you'll get all the positive vibes from him and his agent that he wants to stay "desperately", but the proof will be if he is prepared to lose his last lucrative contract of his career to sign on much less than with us.

Forgive my cynical nature, but I think we'll truly find out where his "heart" is if we get to that position in the summer...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:12 - Jan 14 with 3535 viewsDejR_vu

Footballers have short careers, and their peak earning years are squeezed in to an even narrower window.

With our reputed wage structure I would have thought a club that wants him could easily pay him £10k per week more than we can, at least. Even on a two year contract that's an extra £1m. It doesn't matter how much money you've got, giving up £1m just to play for one particular club would be madness. As much as he seems to love it here I can't believe he loves it that much.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:17 - Jan 14 with 3508 viewsTomcat75

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:12 - Jan 14 by DejR_vu

Footballers have short careers, and their peak earning years are squeezed in to an even narrower window.

With our reputed wage structure I would have thought a club that wants him could easily pay him £10k per week more than we can, at least. Even on a two year contract that's an extra £1m. It doesn't matter how much money you've got, giving up £1m just to play for one particular club would be madness. As much as he seems to love it here I can't believe he loves it that much.

hate to say this but i know something about this

<looks round forum>

he already has told management he wants to come to us on perm basis loves being back feels like home.

and he will drop his wage.

if this spell doesnt go well for him he will be looking at options to go to MLS.

hes buzzing to be back
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:21 - Jan 14 with 3513 viewshantssi

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:53 - Jan 14 by W7Ranger

You think a club would pay 40k per week for a 32 year old, who has had the odd injury problems too?

Why not, we used to!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024