Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - next season...? 13:36 - Jan 14 with 9676 viewsAshdown_Ranger

OK, Chaz is only just back though the front door at Loftus Road...

His contract will be up at West Brom in the summer and he'll be a free agent - turning 32 in July.

If West Brom stay up, they won't want him, but they might offer him a new contract if relegated.

Spotrac have him on £70,000 a week currently - https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-bromwich-albion-fc/charlie-austin-22948/ - obviously this will be much reduced in the Championship next season.

An EFL report among Championship clubs last year showed that the highest paid players in each club were paid on on average £29,000 per week (one club was paying £68,000 a week). These are 'basic' wages, with bonuses paid on top.

No idea where we sit in that report, but I'd guess in the bottom third.

I'm assuming we'll want to sign him in the summer if he does well, stays more or less fit - and that we're not relegated. But I can't imagine we'd be able to offer him more than £20k-ish. There are players who'd take a financial hit to play for the club they love - but would Charlie?

He's making all the right noises at the moment, but would he sign for us if the likes of Watford, Swansea, Bristol City or Forest come knocking with a few more quid in their pockets?
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:21 - Jan 14 with 1746 viewsQPR_Jim

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:07 - Jan 14 by davman

This.

A real test of his love for us.

No way will we ever come close to what he has been earning no matter how well he does. If he does even half a job for us, he will have offers from others that will dwarf anything we can afford to offer.

Just like Wells, you'll get all the positive vibes from him and his agent that he wants to stay "desperately", but the proof will be if he is prepared to lose his last lucrative contract of his career to sign on much less than with us.

Forgive my cynical nature, but I think we'll truly find out where his "heart" is if we get to that position in the summer...

Tend to agree although I do think (hope) he means it when he says he's delighted to be back and it's like being home etc

It's a bit like when I say I want to get in shape, I mean it at the time I say it but eventually you'll find me on the sofa eating pizza. It's always going to be tempting if someone can offer you twice the wages, better team-mates and more chance of success.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:39 - Jan 14 with 1717 viewsQPR_John

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:12 - Jan 14 by DejR_vu

Footballers have short careers, and their peak earning years are squeezed in to an even narrower window.

With our reputed wage structure I would have thought a club that wants him could easily pay him £10k per week more than we can, at least. Even on a two year contract that's an extra £1m. It doesn't matter how much money you've got, giving up £1m just to play for one particular club would be madness. As much as he seems to love it here I can't believe he loves it that much.

Must have a good accountant if £10k a week over two years amounts to an income of £1M
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:41 - Jan 14 with 1712 viewshantssi

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:39 - Jan 14 by QPR_John

Must have a good accountant if £10k a week over two years amounts to an income of £1M

Before tax I guess!!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:42 - Jan 14 with 1710 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:39 - Jan 14 by QPR_John

Pre tax, it is, but yes you're right, a 'mere' £600K with tax taken!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:47 - Jan 14 with 1700 viewsDejR_vu

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:42 - Jan 14 by PinnerPaul

Pre tax, it is, but yes you're right, a 'mere' £600K with tax taken!

Don't forget the additional rate 5%, or the NI Pinner!!

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:48 - Jan 14 with 1691 viewsJuzzie

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:12 - Jan 14 by DejR_vu

Footballers have short careers, and their peak earning years are squeezed in to an even narrower window.

With our reputed wage structure I would have thought a club that wants him could easily pay him £10k per week more than we can, at least. Even on a two year contract that's an extra £1m. It doesn't matter how much money you've got, giving up £1m just to play for one particular club would be madness. As much as he seems to love it here I can't believe he loves it that much.

The 'short career' analogy may have been apt a few decades ago but when a player today of even reasonable success as Austin will have earnt somewhere in the region of £15m-20m in that time. That's maybe at least 10 times what we'd earn in our lifetime.

He can afford to take a big drop. It's just a matter of does he want to.

If he doesn't, that's fine, it's his choice. But he could.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:49 - Jan 14 with 1675 viewsNorthernr

Given that our wage structure currently doesn't tempt Kieffer Moore, Ben Whiteman, Alfie Doughty... Austin would have to love it here so much that he basically agrees to write off the final few years of his earning potential before retirement.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:52 - Jan 14 with 1665 viewsDejR_vu

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:48 - Jan 14 by Juzzie

The 'short career' analogy may have been apt a few decades ago but when a player today of even reasonable success as Austin will have earnt somewhere in the region of £15m-20m in that time. That's maybe at least 10 times what we'd earn in our lifetime.

He can afford to take a big drop. It's just a matter of does he want to.

If he doesn't, that's fine, it's his choice. But he could.

Agreed, I'm not saying he couldn't necessarily afford it, I just think, whatever he's worth now, giving up hundreds of thousands of pounds, or even million(s), is unlikely.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:25 - Jan 14 with 1602 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:49 - Jan 14 by Northernr

Given that our wage structure currently doesn't tempt Kieffer Moore, Ben Whiteman, Alfie Doughty... Austin would have to love it here so much that he basically agrees to write off the final few years of his earning potential before retirement.

would need to be a very chunky signing on fee that's for sure.
As you used to say about Wells, doesn't matter how much he loves it here, there will be clubs willing to offer double (minimum) what we can. Not gona happen.

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:26 - Jan 14 with 1600 viewsE15Hoop

Reminds me of Nedum Onohua saying that the board were asking him to essentially play for free just before he left us for the MLS - although I think that claim got quite an angry rebuttal from Lee Hoos, if I remember correctly...
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:55 - Jan 14 with 1570 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:26 - Jan 14 by E15Hoop

Reminds me of Nedum Onohua saying that the board were asking him to essentially play for free just before he left us for the MLS - although I think that claim got quite an angry rebuttal from Lee Hoos, if I remember correctly...

He said it was "pay as you play", which compared to what Onuoha was on before it basically was, because it's a low basic with a big win bonus. Not much use when you win ten games a season.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 19:04 - Jan 14 with 1554 viewsE15Hoop

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:55 - Jan 14 by Northernr

He said it was "pay as you play", which compared to what Onuoha was on before it basically was, because it's a low basic with a big win bonus. Not much use when you win ten games a season.

Haha - very true! I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they were putting that deal structure to him..
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 19:21 - Jan 14 with 1523 viewsstainrods_elbow

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 18:26 - Jan 14 by E15Hoop

And if it comes down to believing Nedum or crediting our Teflon-coated CEO, I wonder where I'd put my money!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 19:31 - Jan 14 with 1511 viewshantssi

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 19:21 - Jan 14 by stainrods_elbow

And if it comes down to believing Nedum or crediting our Teflon-coated CEO, I wonder where I'd put my money!

Yes, we all know what you think of Hoos!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 20:15 - Jan 14 with 1463 viewsSuperhoop83

But Tomcat said.......

Suffering since 1978.

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 20:35 - Jan 14 with 1432 viewseghamranger

Think most of you lot are missing the point here.

Charlie is a decent championship striker if fit, he’s too old / unfit for the PL these days, so when we get promoted in May, he will probably look at Fulham or Brentford as the travelling would be good for him and they pay better.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 20:47 - Jan 14 with 1398 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 20:35 - Jan 14 by eghamranger

Charlie is a decent championship striker if fit, he’s too old / unfit for the PL these days, so when we get promoted in May, he will probably look at Fulham or Brentford as the travelling would be good for him and they pay better.

He was a bit shit in the play-off final

I hope Remy is available or Bobby

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 21:14 - Jan 14 with 1377 viewsBAWHoops

Unless they make an exception and decide to pay him £30k a week. Make him club captain and tell him to spend his last 2-3 years as a hero

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 21:45 - Jan 14 with 1344 viewsSK_hoops

Charlie Austin is too well known / established and old for Brentford to sign. Wouldn't fit in with their moneyball ethos.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2021 21:46]
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 21:48 - Jan 14 with 1329 viewsdavman

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 21:14 - Jan 14 by BAWHoops

Unless they make an exception and decide to pay him £30k a week. Make him club captain and tell him to spend his last 2-3 years as a hero

...which is as likely as them offering me a ten year deal on £50k per week...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 21:56 - Jan 14 with 1316 viewsDorse

'So Charlie, great season. 18 goals, 6 assists, 14 man of the match awards and EFL player of the month 3 consecutive times. We are going to make you an offer that would make you our highest paid player. What would you say to £20k a year, 3000 nectar points, a full Nando's loyalty card, use of the club paddling pool (as part of the rota), new curtains for your spare room, a selection of DVD box sets including Citizen Khan and Star Trek Next Generation, and a packet of Refreshers?'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 22:11 - Jan 14 with 1280 viewsCiderwithRsie

No-one seems to be considering that after a few months with us to mutual benefit he might say a heartfelt "Good luck and thanks for all the fish" then head off to somewhere with nicer weather where silly money is being thrown around by leagues with no FFP. It's essentially what Nedum did.

And frankly who can blame him, it'd be a hard sell telling his family that he wasn't going to because he loved QPR so much.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 22:41 - Jan 14 with 1250 viewsWestbourneR

There is absolutely no way Austin is on £70k pw at West Brom. I'd say he's on £40k tops.

That said, like Northern says, he's way outside our pay structure - Rangers these days pay £20k a year top top whack

So Austin would basically have to accept losing close to £1,000,000 quid a year to play for us. It would be pure sentiment and no one is mad enough to do that. He's got one big contract left before his career is done. So he won't be joining Rangers permanently.

That said I do think that if we have any serious intention to ever get in the play-offs then we will need to use some of the money from player sales to bend that pay structure for two or three exceptional players - at some point 3 x £30k a week is needed to add the quality we need to the squad.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 23:18 - Jan 14 with 1216 viewsdaveB

Lets just enjoy him whilst he's here and worry about next season and if he stays or not when it comes. Always annoyed me that throughout Wells spell last season all anyone seem to talk about was what happens when he goes, just enjoy him whilst he is here
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 23:23 - Jan 14 with 1210 viewsLowerloftLad

Charlie seems pretty grounded i would imagine the big things like mortgages have been smashed he has race horses to no ?. He has had big money wages with us Southampton and west brom.

maybe Charlie and the family have sat down and ranked family time and happiness above more money ?.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024