Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin - next season...? 13:36 - Jan 14 with 9658 viewsAshdown_Ranger

OK, Chaz is only just back though the front door at Loftus Road...

His contract will be up at West Brom in the summer and he'll be a free agent - turning 32 in July.

If West Brom stay up, they won't want him, but they might offer him a new contract if relegated.

Spotrac have him on £70,000 a week currently - https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-bromwich-albion-fc/charlie-austin-22948/ - obviously this will be much reduced in the Championship next season.

An EFL report among Championship clubs last year showed that the highest paid players in each club were paid on on average £29,000 per week (one club was paying £68,000 a week). These are 'basic' wages, with bonuses paid on top.

No idea where we sit in that report, but I'd guess in the bottom third.

I'm assuming we'll want to sign him in the summer if he does well, stays more or less fit - and that we're not relegated. But I can't imagine we'd be able to offer him more than £20k-ish. There are players who'd take a financial hit to play for the club they love - but would Charlie?

He's making all the right noises at the moment, but would he sign for us if the likes of Watford, Swansea, Bristol City or Forest come knocking with a few more quid in their pockets?
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 04:42 - Jan 15 with 2089 viewsswisscottage

Is it just the wage structure or the cost of the contract - any further sell on value?

In Charlie's case, I would imagine a 3 year contract and no sell on value.

Would we pay £2mil for him and pay him £10k a week ? For a total cost of £3.65mil I would have thought that would be a no brainer..

If so, there's little difference financially to £30k per week over 3 years for a total cost of £3.6 mil + signing fee.

The only difference being the disparity between his wages and other players at the club.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 08:51 - Jan 15 with 1964 viewseastside_r

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 23:18 - Jan 14 by daveB

Lets just enjoy him whilst he's here and worry about next season and if he stays or not when it comes. Always annoyed me that throughout Wells spell last season all anyone seem to talk about was what happens when he goes, just enjoy him whilst he is here

Yes. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 08:58 - Jan 15 with 1955 viewsdavman

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 23:23 - Jan 14 by LowerloftLad

Charlie seems pretty grounded i would imagine the big things like mortgages have been smashed he has race horses to no ?. He has had big money wages with us Southampton and west brom.

maybe Charlie and the family have sat down and ranked family time and happiness above more money ?.

Who knows? You don't and I don't, but he would absolutely be in the minority if he thinks that way...

... and who could blame him?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 08:59 - Jan 15 with 1955 viewsfrancisbowles

I actually think that our wage structure is more like a maximium of £10k or less1

Ned's deal sounds like it wasn't actually 'pay as you play' as the club tried to get him to embrace the new pay structure. However his interpretation of it is 'more or less pay as you play' when compared to his prior basic salary.

As for Charlie, it's not going to happen but:

1. If FFP is written off this season due covid, could we pay him a massive signing on fee before the first of June and then a low basic for two seasons plus n option?

2. Could we do some sort of 'Rooneyesque' sponsorship deal?

One way or another both of these 'manoeuvres' would involve the owners putting yet more money into the club.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 09:10 - Jan 15 with 1931 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 23:18 - Jan 14 by daveB

Lets just enjoy him whilst he's here and worry about next season and if he stays or not when it comes. Always annoyed me that throughout Wells spell last season all anyone seem to talk about was what happens when he goes, just enjoy him whilst he is here

Completely agree. Next year is not worth the thought process.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 09:13 - Jan 15 with 1928 viewsBrianWilson

I'm sure he is genuine in what he says about the club but he would be very foolish not to make the most of his last years in football earnings wise.

If he does well, he will move on IMO, if not, he/we might be happy to offer him a year or two.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 09:27 - Jan 15 with 1898 viewsLazyFan

WBA won't be keeping him. Too much of a risk and too costly. Also, Sam will want his own people and wont risk it, even if he likes him. He for sure will leave WBA.

In addition, we won't pay him what he's worth. It will be about if he does well for us in this spell and if he likes the lifestyle. Even Naki almost stayed had we matched the fee. But of course, he did not have the deals Austin has had and needed to be sure with his twilight years so when Brizzle came in with a contract on mega monies he had to take the offer.

I think it's all a bit early to think Chazza will do well here. Sure one great game and one well crafted and thus easily taken chance. Which is why I was looking forward to the Wycombe game to see if he's really on fire or it was a one off.

Jury still out but initial signs looking up.

zzzzzzzzzz

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 09:37 - Jan 15 with 1852 views2Thomas2Bowles

The way games are getting cancelled he could end up being one game Charlie never mind next season.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 10:40 - Jan 15 with 1833 viewsW7Ranger

I think he's also relishing being the "main" man at the club. He loves the adulation. I also think he's getting a bit of a buzz out of using his knowledge and experience to help Dykes/Bonne/Kelman and the rest of our relatively young squad.

We were the club that gave him that stepping stone to the Prem, and I would imagine also gave him his greatest days as a player with the Play Offs v Wigan and Derby. I don't think he will have fonder memories as a player than he has with us.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 10:48 - Jan 15 with 1826 viewsNorthantsHoop

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 09:37 - Jan 15 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The way games are getting cancelled he could end up being one game Charlie never mind next season.

I am just taking Charlie's return on a game by game basis, be that his fitness or the possibility of the season being postponed or extended due to the virus.
If we stay in Championship and we offer him a deal, can't see it being anyway near a level that the better off clubs would be able to offer. So for Austin it would be a heart over head decision, and again who knows how the managerial situation will play out.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:45 - Jan 15 with 1773 viewsE15Hoop

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 10:48 - Jan 15 by NorthantsHoop

I am just taking Charlie's return on a game by game basis, be that his fitness or the possibility of the season being postponed or extended due to the virus.
If we stay in Championship and we offer him a deal, can't see it being anyway near a level that the better off clubs would be able to offer. So for Austin it would be a heart over head decision, and again who knows how the managerial situation will play out.

Dear All - have a listen to this, if you haven't already heard it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09428gf

This is today's 5 Live Football Daily Podcast, with the man himself as centre stage, coincidentally in conversation with Glenn Murray amongst others.

Interestingly, he mentions how delighted he is at the prospect of not having to move house, and how any move he makes will be taking the welfare of his family/not uprooting the kids from school into account.

Although he didn't say it directly, there was more than a strong hint in there that he's looking at us as more than just a 6 month thing.

Anyway - have a listen yourselves and see what you think. Well worth a listen not just from that angle but in general
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 12:31 - Jan 15 with 1734 viewsrobith

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:07 - Jan 14 by Myke

I agree with the first sentence (the second is open to conjecture!). The hope is, that not only will he have weighed in with 6-10 goals (no pressure), but he will have improved Bonne and Dykes so much that they are ready for next season.
Wells loved us too - until Bristol City offered more dosh

Mentioning Wells, an interesting stat. Obviously he isn't on pens, but Dykes has scored the same number of league goals as Wells this season, in 8 fewer games
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:26 - Jan 15 with 1688 viewsW7Ranger

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:45 - Jan 15 by E15Hoop

This is today's 5 Live Football Daily Podcast, with the man himself as centre stage, coincidentally in conversation with Glenn Murray amongst others.

Interestingly, he mentions how delighted he is at the prospect of not having to move house, and how any move he makes will be taking the welfare of his family/not uprooting the kids from school into account.

Although he didn't say it directly, there was more than a strong hint in there that he's looking at us as more than just a 6 month thing.

Anyway - have a listen yourselves and see what you think. Well worth a listen not just from that angle but in general

Another great interview. Seems very grounded now and just wants to play, simple as that. Apart from his family/kids and not wanting to uproot, playing as much football is his drive and purpose at this moment in his career. Would be very surprised if there was anything for him still at West Brom.

And certainly touched upon being open/keen to long term commitment at QPR if something can be sorted.

Very positive noises.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:33 - Jan 15 with 1622 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 17:47 - Jan 14 by DejR_vu

Don't forget the additional rate 5%, or the NI Pinner!!

Don't forget he could be paid through a company - tax still to be paid obviously but a bit less.

Also pension payments are tax free so really, as with the rest of the figures in this thread, we're making it up as we go along!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 15:02 - Jan 15 with 1601 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:45 - Jan 15 by E15Hoop

Agree - great interview/podcast

Although he doesn't exactly share the MW way of playing - at least not all the time!
[Post edited 15 Jan 2021 15:16]
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 16:34 - Jan 15 with 1559 viewsEsox_Lucius

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 22:41 - Jan 14 by WestbourneR

There is absolutely no way Austin is on £70k pw at West Brom. I'd say he's on £40k tops.

That said, like Northern says, he's way outside our pay structure - Rangers these days pay £20k a year top top whack

So Austin would basically have to accept losing close to £1,000,000 quid a year to play for us. It would be pure sentiment and no one is mad enough to do that. He's got one big contract left before his career is done. So he won't be joining Rangers permanently.

That said I do think that if we have any serious intention to ever get in the play-offs then we will need to use some of the money from player sales to bend that pay structure for two or three exceptional players - at some point 3 x £30k a week is needed to add the quality we need to the squad.

I am not sure where you plucked £40k from but EPL wages are obtainable, unlike EFL wages, and this appears to be legit.
"Charlie Austin signed a 2 year / £7,280,000 contract with the West Bromwich Albion F.C., including an annual average salary of £3,640,000. In 2020, Austin will earn a base salary of £3,640,000, while carrying a cap hit of £3,640,000."
This IS £70k per week.

The grass is always greener.

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:55 - Jan 16 with 1454 viewsTacticalR

The whole podcast is 45 minutes, but the interview with Austin about West Brom and QPR is only about 12 minutes (9:40-21:40).

He sounds pretty determined. Also says that Allardyce told him he was fifth choice striker at West Brom.

BBC Football Daily - 72+ The Charlie Austin episode - West Brom to West London
https://podbay.fm/p/football-daily/e/1610674320

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 12:27 - Jan 16 with 1402 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 11:55 - Jan 16 by TacticalR

The whole podcast is 45 minutes, but the interview with Austin about West Brom and QPR is only about 12 minutes (9:40-21:40).

He sounds pretty determined. Also says that Allardyce told him he was fifth choice striker at West Brom.

BBC Football Daily - 72+ The Charlie Austin episode - West Brom to West London
https://podbay.fm/p/football-daily/e/1610674320

Don't work for me

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:09 - Jan 16 with 1361 viewsTacticalR

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 12:27 - Jan 16 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Don't work for me

What are you seeing 2Thomas2Bowles? This is what I am seeing:

I can either play from that page, or download as an mp3 (middle blue button on the right).

Another option is to play it on the BBC site, but that link expires in 5 days:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09428gf

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:17 - Jan 16 with 1329 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:09 - Jan 16 by TacticalR

What are you seeing 2Thomas2Bowles? This is what I am seeing:

I can either play from that page, or download as an mp3 (middle blue button on the right).

Another option is to play it on the BBC site, but that link expires in 5 days:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09428gf

Thanks

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:25 - Jan 16 with 1306 viewsPaddyhoops

Even if Charlie doesn't end up back here I can see Hugill making a return on loan.
Norwich will be promoted and its doubtful Hugill will get a game in the Premier when he struggles for time in the championship!!
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:41 - Jan 16 with 1279 viewsrsonist

He's certainly digging himself an unnecessarily deep and very public hole if he hasn't ruled out one last payday somewhere.

More likely he's correctly figured that realistically his next contract will be a bit part role he hates at somewhere his family may not want to be for maybe 10k p/w more than we'd offer.

If West Brom take up their option on him they'd have us over a barrel, but then if we walked away they'd have fcked themselves royally. Fun saga in store.

Got his eye on a future career on TalkSport once he abdicates the crown here too by the sounds of it.
Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:55 - Jan 16 with 1243 viewsstainrods_elbow

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 22:41 - Jan 14 by WestbourneR

There is absolutely no way Austin is on £70k pw at West Brom. I'd say he's on £40k tops.

That said, like Northern says, he's way outside our pay structure - Rangers these days pay £20k a year top top whack

So Austin would basically have to accept losing close to £1,000,000 quid a year to play for us. It would be pure sentiment and no one is mad enough to do that. He's got one big contract left before his career is done. So he won't be joining Rangers permanently.

That said I do think that if we have any serious intention to ever get in the play-offs then we will need to use some of the money from player sales to bend that pay structure for two or three exceptional players - at some point 3 x £30k a week is needed to add the quality we need to the squad.

Rangers pay 20k a year? Cripes - even I earn a bit more than that!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:56 - Jan 16 with 1248 viewsTacticalR

@rsonist 'He's certainly digging himself an unnecessarily deep and very public hole'

What do you mean rsonist? By criticising Allardyce?

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 14:14 - Jan 16 with 1223 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin - next season...? on 13:56 - Jan 16 by TacticalR

@rsonist 'He's certainly digging himself an unnecessarily deep and very public hole'

What do you mean rsonist? By criticising Allardyce?

No, although that does burn his bridges somewhat too. Just the declaring true love for the club, refusing to see himself as a veteran, family happiness etc on radio, podcasts, club comms... no one''s forcing him to do it. It won't tarnish his legacy but the more he piles up to contradict the more unseemly it'll be. I guess the clubs would cop the brunt of the frustration though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024