Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wycombe off 08:46 - Jan 15 with 9972 viewsNorthernr

They got plague.
Wycombe off on 14:49 - Jan 15 with 1940 viewsNorthernr

Wycombe off on 14:25 - Jan 15 by PinnerPaul

Why should footballers get vaccinated to carry on doing their jobs and not any number of other workers - bus drivers, post workers, supermarket workers etc etc etc

Give me 5 minutes and I could think of at least 20 professions ahead of elite sportsmen and women!

The argument Dyche put forward, which was actually much more nuanced than the "don't be bloody stupid" response it got, is that for football to continue they are having to test hundreds and hundreds of fit and healthy young lads multiple times a week at huge expence. If you just vaccinate them all, which should be relatively quick and easy to do as they're all together, then those tests and the money it's costing could be put to better use elsewhere in the system. It also makes it much safer to cart them around the country, potentially spreading it.
Wycombe off on 14:54 - Jan 15 with 1902 viewsdaveB

Wycombe off on 14:19 - Jan 15 by PinnerPaul

But would having a few weeks off do any good at all - lockdown not being reviewed until mid Feb at the earliest I thought.

As I said above young fit athletes at the back of the queue for the vaccine - rightly so - so they won't be getting it until September.

just think if we are at the stage where it's too dangerous to celebrate goals and games are getting called off every week it might be time to do a circuit break for football and have a few weeks off and start again, no guarantee that will work but we are heading to a situation now where clubs have to find space to fit in 2/3 games now
Wycombe off on 15:12 - Jan 15 with 1854 viewstraininvain

Wycombe off on 13:58 - Jan 15 by RangersDave

Hmmmmmm, pretty sure i heard the other night that having the vaccine wont prevent you transferring it from 1 individual to another.

So you can vaccineca whole team, but they can still be super spreaders.
Also, being 85-90% successful, you could re catch it after merely coming into contact with 1 in 10 peeps who are carriers, and the vaccine wont stop it.

Mind you, i also believed we were robbed when Wolves 'choked' in 76!

My understanding is that scientists expect the vaccine to have an impact upon transmission of the virus but it’ll take at least a few weeks until they know for sure.

If the vaccine does help prevent transmission on a reasonable scale then it could be a eureka moment in the fight against Covid.
Wycombe off on 15:13 - Jan 15 with 1853 viewsPinnerPaul

Wycombe off on 14:43 - Jan 15 by ted_hendrix

*Those were the latest PL figures I believe and includes all staff. Of those positive tests haven't heard anyone seriously ill - as you would expect, the majority being young and fit.*

Two Newcastle players were extremely Ill with Covid about three weeks ago. I can't remember their names or the outcome.

We seem to learn something new about Covid everyday, we seem to read everyday about this new strain that new strain, more middle aged people are now being hospitalised etcetera,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As best i/we can I'm keeping of the streets, washing my hands--keeping my distance--wearing my mask.

If the game was on at LR tomorrow in front of a selected number of fans spread around the ground (say 1000 people) and I was one of them, I wouldn't go.

Fair enough Ted, I've always respected everyone's views/approach to covid - don't think any approach (within reason) should be dismissed lightly as its obviously an easily spread serious worldwide disease.

Apologies if some footballers have indeed been seriously affected, but as above, on balance, I personally support football continuing.

Stay well.
Wycombe off on 15:14 - Jan 15 with 1840 viewsPinnerPaul

Wycombe off on 14:54 - Jan 15 by daveB

just think if we are at the stage where it's too dangerous to celebrate goals and games are getting called off every week it might be time to do a circuit break for football and have a few weeks off and start again, no guarantee that will work but we are heading to a situation now where clubs have to find space to fit in 2/3 games now

Fair enough - my reply to Ted applies again I think!

Stay well Dave!
Wycombe off on 15:31 - Jan 15 with 1809 viewsAntti_Heinola

Wycombe off on 14:54 - Jan 15 by daveB

it's not unsafe to celebrate goals. Players are tested regularly and there are lots of protocols in place.
The government are, as usual, deflecting from their own enormous failings. The celebration thing is not about safety, it's about 'optics' - 'i can't hug my nan, but these players can hug after a goal.' The people genuinely getting annoyed about that must be infinitesimal, but suits the government to point at footballers (again). Even though one footballer in particular is currently doing a better job than the useless Johnson at being a PM.

Numbers *seem* now to be starting to plateau in some areas and drop in London, where the R may be down to 0.7. If they were going to do a circuit break, it's not worth it now - the time would have been around Christmas to about now.

Bare bones.

Wycombe off on 15:37 - Jan 15 with 1788 viewsted_hendrix

Wycombe off on 15:13 - Jan 15 by PinnerPaul

Fair enough Ted, I've always respected everyone's views/approach to covid - don't think any approach (within reason) should be dismissed lightly as its obviously an easily spread serious worldwide disease.

Apologies if some footballers have indeed been seriously affected, but as above, on balance, I personally support football continuing.

Stay well.

Stay well yourself Paul---good Man.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Wycombe off on 15:48 - Jan 15 with 1761 viewsthemodfather

agree mate, just something dyche said ....for me nhs, elderly, vulneranle, police, fire brigade should all top any vaccine list.
Login to get fewer ads

Wycombe off on 15:57 - Jan 15 with 1713 viewsPinnerPaul

Wycombe off on 14:49 - Jan 15 by Northernr

The argument Dyche put forward, which was actually much more nuanced than the "don't be bloody stupid" response it got, is that for football to continue they are having to test hundreds and hundreds of fit and healthy young lads multiple times a week at huge expence. If you just vaccinate them all, which should be relatively quick and easy to do as they're all together, then those tests and the money it's costing could be put to better use elsewhere in the system. It also makes it much safer to cart them around the country, potentially spreading it.

I see that, but you could equally say that it saves money/the NHS, the less people who get it and those most likely to get it/spread it are those mixing/working/travelling and footballers, obviously, not the only people doing that.

I think stronger cases can be made for any number of professions, is my point.

Of course its a moot point as the common sense approach is to vaccinate the most vulnerable in terms of likelihood of dying from the disease.
Wycombe off on 16:01 - Jan 15 with 1697 viewsNorthernr

Wycombe off on 15:57 - Jan 15 by PinnerPaul

I see that, but you could equally say that it saves money/the NHS, the less people who get it and those most likely to get it/spread it are those mixing/working/travelling and footballers, obviously, not the only people doing that.

I think stronger cases can be made for any number of professions, is my point.

Of course its a moot point as the common sense approach is to vaccinate the most vulnerable in terms of likelihood of dying from the disease.

Yeh it's not necessarily a point I agree with, but I did think it was a classic example of people going off on one from the headline without reading the actual article.
Wycombe off on 16:12 - Jan 15 with 1652 viewsPinnerPaul

Wycombe off on 16:01 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Yeh it's not necessarily a point I agree with, but I did think it was a classic example of people going off on one from the headline without reading the actual article.

That happens all the time and without having a go at your profession, that's often to do with the headline!

Saw one today - "Government minister tells over 50s not to book summer holidays"

When you read the actual quotes, that's not what he said at all!
Wycombe off on 16:14 - Jan 15 with 1648 viewsNorthernr

Wycombe off on 16:12 - Jan 15 by PinnerPaul

That happens all the time and without having a go at your profession, that's often to do with the headline!

Saw one today - "Government minister tells over 50s not to book summer holidays"

When you read the actual quotes, that's not what he said at all!

Journos rarely write their own headlines. We often hate them every bit as much as everybody else.
Wycombe off on 16:35 - Jan 15 with 1581 viewswood_hoop

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/private-club-covid-vaccine-uae-i

Saw this the other day, knew it would surface sooner or later, we have the NHS for a good reason, BJ has said that vaccine will be given out free to every person in the UK and in an order of preference, high vunrability or if front line workers, not if you or your company can pay a price to jump to the front of the queue
Wycombe off on 16:38 - Jan 15 with 1568 viewsPinnerPaul

Wycombe off on 16:14 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Journos rarely write their own headlines. We often hate them every bit as much as everybody else.

Wycombe off on 16:48 - Jan 15 with 1535 viewsted_hendrix

Last post from me on this subject and for a bit of clarity,

The last couple of day's the media have been quoting/reporting that the daily infection rate has been slowing which in fairness it has albeit slowly; however Wednesday the IR was 47,525 Thursday the IR was 48,652 and todays IR from the Gov.UK site 55, 762 so you can plainly see we have a long-long way to go, It's not going away anytime soon and is still killing people at an alarming daily rate, today a further 1,280 people lost their lives to Covid.

Hope to see some of you blokes at the Lower Loft concourse again where we can moan and talk bolox, not gonna be for a while though.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Wycombe off on 16:55 - Jan 15 with 1507 viewsMyke

Wycombe off on 16:14 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Except ;When a hero comes Along' gotta love that. Even have the bloody tune stuck in my head -driving the family crazy
Wycombe off on 20:17 - Jan 15 with 1341 viewsbaz_qpr

Euros and Olympics will go ahead (Japan is running events) will go ahead, players will be either vaccinated or in bubble (like Singapores business bubble) you'll need a vaccine cert in order to travel anywhere or go in to the stadiums.

That cert requirement (because business and people wanting to go on holiday will blow gasket come summer) Will lead IMHO to even greater urgency to vaccinate and the programme will be sped up like a war effort.

The one thing that could throw that off course is if a mutation emerges that the vaccine is not effective against or something goes wrong and people get sick of one the vaccines (neither which is likely)
Wycombe off on 21:56 - Jan 15 with 1254 viewsthame_hoops

For those saying this season should be null and void or cancelled, it’s never gonna happen. If last season was completed after several months break. This one will be
Wycombe off on 22:17 - Jan 15 with 1219 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wycombe off on 21:56 - Jan 15 by thame_hoops

For those saying this season should be null and void or cancelled, it’s never gonna happen. If last season was completed after several months break. This one will be

Money talks.

I'd imagine if it costs more to hold matches in empty stadiums than no matches at all then clubs will pressure the FA/EFL/PL or whoever.
Wycombe off on 22:57 - Jan 15 with 1164 viewsAntti_Heinola

Wycombe off on 16:48 - Jan 15 by ted_hendrix

Last post from me on this subject and for a bit of clarity,

The last couple of day's the media have been quoting/reporting that the daily infection rate has been slowing which in fairness it has albeit slowly; however Wednesday the IR was 47,525 Thursday the IR was 48,652 and todays IR from the Gov.UK site 55, 762 so you can plainly see we have a long-long way to go, It's not going away anytime soon and is still killing people at an alarming daily rate, today a further 1,280 people lost their lives to Covid.

Hope to see some of you blokes at the Lower Loft concourse again where we can moan and talk bolox, not gonna be for a while though.

Totally agree with that Ted.
I'm hoping we may get back in next season, maybe even in August in small numbers, but maybe bigger ones by about this time next year. But who knows.

Bare bones.

Wycombe off on 10:39 - Jan 16 with 998 viewsR_from_afar

Wycombe off on 13:45 - Jan 15 by Northernr

confirmed as full time manager, retires as a player.

Thanks for the update.

I wonder if Direby's official club renaming ceremony will be televised?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Wycombe off on 14:41 - Jan 16 with 878 viewsQPR_John

I guess a midweek game is more expensive to put on than a Saturday afternoon especially with no crowds so who pays the extra when we play them in midweek.
Wycombe off on 15:39 - Jan 16 with 797 viewsaston_hoop

Well since we dont have a game, keeping an eye elsewhere. Forest beating Millwall to move them above us in the league. Millwall look doomed at the moment, 1 win in 14 and maybe becoming 15.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Wycombe off on 15:55 - Jan 16 with 758 views2Thomas2Bowles

Wycombe off on 15:39 - Jan 16 by aston_hoop

Well since we dont have a game, keeping an eye elsewhere. Forest beating Millwall to move them above us in the league. Millwall look doomed at the moment, 1 win in 14 and maybe becoming 15.

Brom won at Middlesbrough
We are down to 20th

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Wycombe off on 16:47 - Jan 16 with 693 viewsaston_hoop

Rotherham beating WRDC now. getting tight at the bottom

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024