Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... 09:43 - Jan 20 with 4279 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Interesting read in the Observer about the problems QPR (and Forest) shirt sponsors Football Index are going through. I thought they were just another betting company (never really looked into it...) and hadn't realised, that they 'traded' in virtual player values, with customers betting on their future values, rather like on the Stock Exchange. Football Index customers can buy and sell these virtual shares - only thing is, values have crashed because of Covid and customers are likely to take a massive hit when selling - if they can even find a buyer...

From the article (which is now on the Guardian web site):

A series of share-price crashes and rule changes on the betting site Football Index has led to increasing concerns that its clients now have millions of pounds trapped in the platform that has no protection if the firm ceases trading.

Football Index, the shirt sponsor of Nottingham Forest and QPR, is a self-styled football stock market where users trade virtual shares in top players. It was launched in 2015 offering “a challenge” to traditional forms of betting on football.

It sells time-limited “shares” in footballers that can then return “dividends” over the course of a three-year contract. Dividends normally range from 1p to 14p per share and are based on the player’s performances on the pitch and their media profile. The shares can be sold to other users to retrieve some or all of a user’s stake from the exchange — but only if the owner can find a buyer.

This has become increasingly difficult of late after crashes in the price of shares. A share in Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho cost £15.04 in early September, falling to £12.33 on 15 September and has since hit a series of lows: £10.31 on 3 October, £5.76 on 19 November and £4.20 on 22 December. A share cost £5.28 on Thursday, a 65% drop from its peak.

Full article, including suggestions of dodgy dealings, threats and intimidation (bring back Gianni Paladini, all is forgiven...) is here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/16/football-index-clients-money-co

So, new shirt sponsor next season...??

[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 9:57]
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 09:53 - Jan 20 with 4237 viewsDavieQPR

If only I had £1 for everytime a newspaper used the word ' could'. The MSM are now becoming no better than click bait sites.
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 10:35 - Jan 20 with 4141 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Sounds like a buyers market then. Except with no guarantee that the market will be there much longer, perhaps not!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 10:44 - Jan 20 with 4120 viewsslmrstid

As a platform, it makes no sense.

Styles itself as a stock exchange type platform - but the "shares" you buy are absolutely meaningless, where do the dividends come from? You buy shares in a listed company, listed company earns money, pays dividends to shareholders. You don't actually own a share in a player, if you buy 0.5% of Ebere Eze (or whoever) and he gets a big new contract, or a big transfer, there's no money coming into the platform to give you a return on that, just from other people bringing new money into the market.

So, its definitely a betting platform, and its more like an exchange where you're gambling against other people. But only as long as there's money in the platform from all the players is the likelihood of money staying in there.

To be honest its just always looked like a giant pyramid scheme to me, dressed up as something reputable. Once they pull out, or there's not enough money coming in, the whole thing comes tumbling down. I hope there isn't anyone who actually has serious amounts of money invested in it!
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 10:46 - Jan 20 with 4115 viewsbosh67

I'd prefer we get the stadium name sponsored next season and have The Kiyan Prince Foundation on our shirts 21-22.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 11:15 - Jan 20 with 4046 viewsDannyPaddox

Anyone interested in a good deal on Dillon Barnes shares PM me. Will take bitcoins.
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:11 - Jan 20 with 3951 viewswombat

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 11:15 - Jan 20 by DannyPaddox

Anyone interested in a good deal on Dillon Barnes shares PM me. Will take bitcoins.

you can get good money on todd kane , get on before barca snap him up

Poll: which is your favouite foot

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:19 - Jan 20 with 3914 viewsloftboy

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 10:44 - Jan 20 by slmrstid

As a platform, it makes no sense.

Styles itself as a stock exchange type platform - but the "shares" you buy are absolutely meaningless, where do the dividends come from? You buy shares in a listed company, listed company earns money, pays dividends to shareholders. You don't actually own a share in a player, if you buy 0.5% of Ebere Eze (or whoever) and he gets a big new contract, or a big transfer, there's no money coming into the platform to give you a return on that, just from other people bringing new money into the market.

So, its definitely a betting platform, and its more like an exchange where you're gambling against other people. But only as long as there's money in the platform from all the players is the likelihood of money staying in there.

To be honest its just always looked like a giant pyramid scheme to me, dressed up as something reputable. Once they pull out, or there's not enough money coming in, the whole thing comes tumbling down. I hope there isn't anyone who actually has serious amounts of money invested in it!

I put twenty in and took 18 out but a tenner of that was a free opening offer so I mad in theory £8, I have read online that some people have invested tens of thousands!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:54 - Jan 20 with 3844 viewsAshdown_Ranger

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:19 - Jan 20 by loftboy

I put twenty in and took 18 out but a tenner of that was a free opening offer so I mad in theory £8, I have read online that some people have invested tens of thousands!!

Wow, that is seriously scary - especially as the platform seems able to change the rules along the way.

Interesting to know how virtual values are arrived at - and who influences those valuations?

Yes, cash-strapped clubs benefit from their sponsorship, but I really think shirt sponsorship by betting companies should be banned. Compulsive gambling is so destructive.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 13:17 - Jan 20 with 3786 viewsdavman

Of course they are. The curse is catching, you know...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:30 - Jan 20 with 3646 viewsDannyPaddox

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:11 - Jan 20 by wombat

you can get good money on todd kane , get on before barca snap him up

Old news now but the government of the Seychelles invested heavily in Yoann Barbet shares. The own goal he poked home up at Barnsley last October led to the Island’s welfare system crashing and the closing of two hospitals. (Ya happy now Yoann?) In attempt to recoup their losses they’ve gone in early and bought big on Charlie Kelman. I wish them all the luck but so risky.
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:31 - Jan 20 with 3640 viewsrobith

These Football Index sites have always seemed like an absolute racket to me
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 3614 viewssoops

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:31 - Jan 20 by robith

These Football Index sites have always seemed like an absolute racket to me

Wonder if there's any possibility of Guinness taking it on again in the future, or if bridges have been burned?
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 16:09 - Jan 20 with 3498 viewsAshdown_Ranger

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:38 - Jan 20 by soops

Wonder if there's any possibility of Guinness taking it on again in the future, or if bridges have been burned?

Nice one :)

Or 'London Price' would look good on the shirts...
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 16:57 - Jan 20 with 3426 viewsDannyPaddox

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 16:09 - Jan 20 by Ashdown_Ranger

Nice one :)

Or 'London Price' would look good on the shirts...

Surely you mean London Plide

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 17:38 - Jan 20 with 3355 viewsTGRRRSSS

Is this the one John Motson did the advert for on the advert on the radio?

Either way worrying for anyone invested and QPR (I care less about Florist)
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 17:45 - Jan 20 with 3336 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If true, this will be the second Sponsor to go bust on us in two seasons.

Nice moneymaking idea though. Tap into the massive football know-it-all market and let their egos do the spending.
QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:52 - Dec 21 with 2407 viewsTacticalR

A follow-up on Football Index by ITV

Air hostess clique

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:57 - Dec 21 with 2379 viewsdanehoop

why would you invest your life savings in something that at best, is difficult to understand and lacks transparency and at worst, makes no sense at all?

Never knowingly understood

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 14:21 - Dec 21 with 2122 viewsslmrstid

QPR shirt sponsor Football Index in trouble... on 12:57 - Dec 21 by danehoop

why would you invest your life savings in something that at best, is difficult to understand and lacks transparency and at worst, makes no sense at all?

Its bonkers.

There's a good documentary on Netflix currently around the collapse of cryptocurrency exchange Quadriga and what truly happened to its founder. Well worth a watch.

One of the things in the doc is a guy who invested his whole life savings into crypto on this exchange and lost it all. He admits he was greedy because he wanted to be rich like the influencers he saw on social media.

Now, I'm not getting into crypto = good/bad arguments on here but to put your whole life savings into one basket that is inherently high risk, the same as Football Index, is staggeringly bad personal fiscal management. If people want to dabble in these things then its up to you, but to have all of your savings in it...

I've even read stories of people borrowing money to then invest in these schemes.

Proper crazy stuff.

So I do sympathise with anyone who lost money, but Football Index was always very obviously a gambling tool at best, and a Ponzi at worst!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024