Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ferdinand Interview 17:47 - Jan 27 with 3909 viewsdaveB

From EFL Site about his role, Eze, academy etc

Ferdinand Interview on 14:07 - Jan 29 with 646 viewsderbyhoop

Ferdinand Interview on 09:14 - Jan 29 by Northernr

I'm interested to see what happens to Brentford's B Team system post Brexit. The rules regarding signing players from abroad would seemingly prohibit picking up players unless they have a set number of national caps and/or appearances for first teams in high leagues. A good chunk of their B team system relies on bringing in young prospects from Europe, particularly Denmark where the chairman has another club. I don't see how that's possible under the rules now.

Likewise, I don't see how we'd be able to sign Polter, Borysiuk, Ngbakoto, Ramkilde now, and maybe Sylla too (although he did have some caps).

Also interested to see what this does with the Watford-Udinese link up, or Forest-Greece-Spain fiddle.

The post-Brexit scenario is going to make clubs reconsider whether it is possible to bring in players from the less publicised European Leagues, e.g. Denmark, Portugal, etc.

The big boys will always find a way round the rules but Championship (and lower) clubs may have to go exclusively British Isles.It may work for us - provided the scouting is up to it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ferdinand Interview on 14:22 - Jan 29 with 616 viewsDavieQPR

Think we should think about getting rid of the academy. Hasn't produced anything for quite a few years now except one prospect who is now leaving for greener pastures. We have done better signing players that have been released from other clubs.
Ferdinand Interview on 14:52 - Jan 29 with 576 viewsPinnerPaul

Ferdinand Interview on 08:35 - Jan 29 by stevec

Far as I can see we’re at a point where we seem to have run out of good youth players. The barrel has been scraped to the extent that if there’s a problem area in the first team and you’ve had a couple of loans at lower league, chances are you’ll be in the first team on a long contract.

The only comparison we have with Brentford are Eze and BOS, not developed in our youth teams but elsewhere. That is a system that works.

Whilst our philosophy concentrates on a small pool of youngsters in our own youth system, there’s a whole world of systems out there where we can cherry pick like Brentford do.

There has to be a time soon when we look at where we are, look at our 1985 stadium and admit that it’s not working.

Not sure I can see the basis for "We've run out of good young players"

Unless you know that the U18s/U 23s contain nearly 100% of players the club have given up on, can't see how you can justify that.

For a start we have the 18 year old GK we have just signed and surely its too early to write off the promising Dillon De Silva.

That's just two off the top of my head and I don't even follow the young players that closely.
Ferdinand Interview on 14:54 - Jan 29 with 573 viewsDixie_CT

Ferdinand Interview on 12:50 - Jan 29 by daveB

It's a good point on Lowe and I don't doubt we've missed out on players like him, does seem a bit odd for the agent to not know how to get hold of Ferdinand though

I think he tried a few times but got no response. As you can imagine, an agent for a player in the Conference South is hardly likely to be Eric Hall so doors may not be readily opened or calls returned.

To be fair to Les, it is difficult to hold a phone and a golf club at the same time.

‘Now watch this drive.....’
Ferdinand Interview on 16:04 - Jan 29 with 540 viewsnix

Ferdinand Interview on 11:23 - Jan 29 by stevec

Get rid of the philosophy and start a plan, there’s no specific aim.

There was mocking of the 4 year plan, the pedantic amongst us that the original aim was European football. The point is we moved in an upward trajectory, one that we’d spent 15 years thinking would never happen again.

Only just reading up on Clive’s observation on transfers abroad but it first appears that bar is set fairly low, certainly for those clubs that have the will, they will find a way.

We have become consumed by a philosophy. As I understand it Austin was coming last summer, now there’s no doubt many reasons why that may not have happened but did that conflict with the collective who hold sway over this club now. It’s hard to believe TF first tweeted Austin over Christmas, more like Les was given a flea in his ear and told to get the job done.

Direction needs to come from the top, there is none.

Do you mean like Forest are doing? With three of their players reportedly on around £30k: Grabban, Freeman and Knockaert? The total of which would probably cover our entire average wage across the first team.

And where are they in the league? Precisely two points and two places below us halfway through the season.

Or maybe Sheffield Wednesday who got a six point deduction for breaching financial FairPlay, have had three managers already this season, and are eight points and five places below us?

It's just not sustainable and I don't understand how people who supported the club during the spend, spend, spend days can't see it. We wasted £250 million on having a plan rather than a philosophy.
Ferdinand Interview on 12:11 - Jan 30 with 429 viewsfrancisbowles

Ferdinand Interview on 14:22 - Jan 29 by DavieQPR

Think we should think about getting rid of the academy. Hasn't produced anything for quite a few years now except one prospect who is now leaving for greener pastures. We have done better signing players that have been released from other clubs.

It wasn't that long ago that we didn't have an academy. Can't remember the year we changed but before that it was just a 'school of excellence'. We have been developing the academy gradually over those few years and are set to move it into a new training centre over the next year or two.

It's costs are allowable against FFP/P&S anyway so now 's not the time to abandon the plan.
Ferdinand Interview on 12:50 - Jan 30 with 400 viewsTGRRRSSS

Too many from Scotland not really working out and that seems to be coming from a certain Warby Warbs - or it was.

Never sure on DOF role, but I like the idea of an overarching strategy - the question is knowing exactly what it is and executing it properly - the general QPR problem.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024