Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread 11:22 - Mar 1 with 33282 viewsDorse

It was 1874 and Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw was reeling after being laid off from Bickerthwaites Clog Factory after 10 years service.
'Unemployed. On t'scrag 'eap at the age o' 17' he sighed to Hector his faithful whippet as he trudged wearily down roads that would later be copyrighted by Hovis.* Even putting another ferret down his trousers couldn't lift his gloom. It helped but only briefly. It were no good. He'd heard that a young man of action could make his fortune down int' that there London - mebbe there'd be a place for a lad such as him, a hearty cherub of a lad with only a hint of tuberculosis, a squint and an orthapaedic clog. He packed his bag, said goodbye to his 19 siblings and got onto the first train South...

Today, visitors from Barnsley are equally as dazzled by the sights, sounds and smells of that there London. The running water. The electricity. The complete lack of incesant brass band music. It all adds up to a heady assault on the senses. And yet, the hopes and dreams of Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw are still very much evident in the coal-streaked faces of the Barnsley team that come looking for fame, glory or a chip and gravy barm cake. As manager Valerian Ismael says 'It'd be easer for a Grimethorpe pigeon fancier t' gerrint Belper whippet racin' club'house than t' gerra win theer'.

2-0 Rangers.

* Even though they were actually in Shaftesbury.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:03 - Mar 1 with 5244 viewscolinallcars

I was in a pub in Barnsley some years back and an old boy, hearing my gutteral London accent said “ Rangers are yer.....oop thine” and gave me a two fingered gesture.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:54 - Mar 1 with 5196 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I loved drinking in Belushi's with them just before we tonked them. Quite a few were rockers.

2-1 Rangers.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:30 - Mar 1 with 5171 viewsDannyPaddox

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:03 - Mar 1 by colinallcars

I was in a pub in Barnsley some years back and an old boy, hearing my gutteral London accent said “ Rangers are yer.....oop thine” and gave me a two fingered gesture.

Officially now my favourite insult ...

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:45 - Mar 1 with 5153 viewsR_from_afar

Some Barnsley fans today, weighing up their response to Dorse's majestic preamble....

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 14:11 - Mar 1 with 5131 viewsrsonist

Bloody disgrace that Dorse doesn't do the official matchday programme in its entirety every week I tell thee.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 14:23 - Mar 1 with 5116 viewsMickS

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:45 - Mar 1 by R_from_afar

Some Barnsley fans today, weighing up their response to Dorse's majestic preamble....

I spy with my little eye a Brucey Grobbelaar.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 14:32 - Mar 1 with 5106 viewscolinallcars

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 14:23 - Mar 1 by MickS

I spy with my little eye a Brucey Grobbelaar.

It does look like 'im doesn't it ?
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 16:59 - Mar 1 with 5035 viewsDorse

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:54 - Mar 1 by Metallica_Hoop

I loved drinking in Belushi's with them just before we tonked them. Quite a few were rockers.

2-1 Rangers.

[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 17:00]

Login to get fewer ads

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 17:44 - Mar 1 with 4990 viewsR_from_afar

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 14:32 - Mar 1 by colinallcars

It does look like 'im doesn't it ?

It certainly does but the band always maintained that their bassist was actually Steve "Dobby" Dawson, not Bruce G...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:53 - Mar 1 with 4892 viewsenfieldargh

I actually thought we would get more from PNE & Brum but had this down as a defeat.

Barnsley have the whodoo over West London and Hounslow and think that we will get done 1-2

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 07:16 - Mar 2 with 4830 viewsHarbour

1-0 rangers Charlie in 60th minute when he spots he is about to be subbed.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:41 - Mar 2 with 4797 viewsdutch

It was Barnsley away many years ago in a pub surrounded by charming Tykes when we were asked in a menacing fashion whether there were any black people (although they didn't use either of those words) in Shepherd's Bush.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 11:00 - Mar 2 with 4719 viewsDorse

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:41 - Mar 2 by dutch

It was Barnsley away many years ago in a pub surrounded by charming Tykes when we were asked in a menacing fashion whether there were any black people (although they didn't use either of those words) in Shepherd's Bush.

My considered response to them would be:

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 11:28 - Mar 2 with 4692 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Barnsley are on fire at the moment and play really quick, high energy football which is exactly what we struggle against, especially with some tiring and ageing legs at the back. They will try to beat us with the press and pace and I think they will succeed unfortunately.
I think Warbs might change it up a bit to get some pace to counter them going forwards, would have been an ideal game for Bright. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bonne in again against their high back line.
QPR 0-2 Barnsley.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:56 - Mar 3 with 4565 viewsDorse

It's game day...

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:10 - Mar 3 with 4536 viewsJeff

Before that nonsense 1-0 home defeat in June (!) as part of Project Restart last year, we'd won our last 712 games at home vs Barnlsley on the trot

It was so guaranteed we once even let Fitz Hall take a penalty for his hat trick (!), which he missed and we then tried to claim he was our designated penalty taker.

back to the universal status quo, 4-0. Even Dykes will score

Can we not knock it?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:45 - Mar 3 with 4493 viewsdanehoop

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:10 - Mar 3 by Jeff

Before that nonsense 1-0 home defeat in June (!) as part of Project Restart last year, we'd won our last 712 games at home vs Barnlsley on the trot

It was so guaranteed we once even let Fitz Hall take a penalty for his hat trick (!), which he missed and we then tried to claim he was our designated penalty taker.

back to the universal status quo, 4-0. Even Dykes will score

I think we will struggle in this one, tired squad playing for mid table safety versus really hungry side who are currently absolutely on it and fancying the playoffs. I would have felt slightly more confident if we had managed to get a result last time out. But managed to lose that one may just have deflated the confidence a bit.

Never knowingly understood

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:51 - Mar 3 with 4479 viewsted_hendrix

Tough game tonight, if they beat us and other results go their way they'll be in the play offs.
I'd start tonight's game with the following;
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Dewhurst, Crapper, McIntyre, Treadmore, Austin.

In other stunningly interesting news Man titty won last night for the zillionth time, we're not that far away from Man titty forming their own league and playing themselves twice a week and winning their own league.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:06 - Mar 3 with 4460 viewsjoe90

Previous form shows we get results against 'better' teams, so hopefully tonight will be no exception. 2-0 Rangers.

I'll be drinking the new Brew Dog 'Lost' lager.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:11 - Mar 3 with 4444 views1MoreBrightonR

After the Sinclair bicycle kick game, I was standing on South Africa road and a Barnsley fan came up to me and called me a "soft southern cnt". He was easily in his late 30s and I was 15 at the time. It's an odd fight to pick to prove you're not soft.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:18 - Mar 3 with 4422 viewsWalnut

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:51 - Mar 3 by ted_hendrix

Tough game tonight, if they beat us and other results go their way they'll be in the play offs.
I'd start tonight's game with the following;
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Dobson, Dewhurst, Crapper, McIntyre, Treadmore, Austin.

In other stunningly interesting news Man titty won last night for the zillionth time, we're not that far away from Man titty forming their own league and playing themselves twice a week and winning their own league.

Top work Ted. Hopefully it'll be 8 bloody 1 to us!
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:20 - Mar 3 with 4420 viewsNorthernr

I really hope we play well and go for it tonight. With the players they've got and the way they're playing it will be a fcking great game if we do. I can't remember the last time I actually saw a good Championship match. I sat through chunks of Cardiff v Derby, Cov v Boro and Reading v Blackburn last night and it was all fcking awful.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:49 - Mar 3 with 4372 viewsBoston

Think we’ll win 1 -0.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:57 - Mar 3 with 4354 viewsngbqpr

Spring 82. Hitched to Barnsley. Lost 3-0. Local OB came up to two of us outside after the game - "better get a move on, or these pie & peas lads will be after you," they said helpfully before moving on themselves. And lo, within seconds, the aforementioned pie & peas lads appeared (set up?), started grilling us to hear our accents, and we scarpered for the nearby station, where the platform was all Rs, and one wag remarked "all stations to Ealing Broadway" as the local chugger appeared.

Delighted in pointing out my Cup Final 82 t shirt to the locals on the other platform until local plod kindly asked me to refrain.

1-1.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 11:02 - Mar 3 with 4341 viewsMick_S

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:57 - Mar 3 by ngbqpr

Spring 82. Hitched to Barnsley. Lost 3-0. Local OB came up to two of us outside after the game - "better get a move on, or these pie & peas lads will be after you," they said helpfully before moving on themselves. And lo, within seconds, the aforementioned pie & peas lads appeared (set up?), started grilling us to hear our accents, and we scarpered for the nearby station, where the platform was all Rs, and one wag remarked "all stations to Ealing Broadway" as the local chugger appeared.

Delighted in pointing out my Cup Final 82 t shirt to the locals on the other platform until local plod kindly asked me to refrain.

1-1.

You should have poked the pie and peas squad in the eye with your jellied eel.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024