Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Valérien Ismaël 08:52 - Mar 4 with 3102 viewsbosh67

30 games in charge of Barnsley and they've won 19 of them I think? By far the best side that's come to us and they are fantastically fit and well drilled. Yes we had chances before they scored but every part of their game was better than ours. Not having a go at Warbs or the team, just shown how a team that knows just about every facet of their game can play.

I would say they are our bogey team but I think they are perhaps at the moment the best side in this league?

Full credit to Ismaël - he knows how to get a team working to its strengths and getting the most out of the players he has.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Valérien Ismaël on 08:57 - Mar 4 with 2143 viewsMrSheen

Certainly enjoying more success than the Emperor Valerian. He was taken prisoner by the Parthians, used as a naked human footstool by their emperor to get on and off his horse, executed by being forced to swallow molten gold and then his skin was removed, stuffed with straw and hung up as a dummy in a temple. It's close, but I'd still rather live in Barnsley.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 9:01]
Valérien Ismaël on 09:01 - Mar 4 with 2110 viewsBklynRanger

Puts me to sleep
Valérien Ismaël on 09:09 - Mar 4 with 2060 viewsSuperhoop83

Valérien Ismaël on 09:01 - Mar 4 by BklynRanger

Puts me to sleep

Barnsley are the new Marmite.

Suffering since 1978.

Valérien Ismaël on 09:11 - Mar 4 with 2048 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Valérien Ismaël on 08:57 - Mar 4 by MrSheen

Certainly enjoying more success than the Emperor Valerian. He was taken prisoner by the Parthians, used as a naked human footstool by their emperor to get on and off his horse, executed by being forced to swallow molten gold and then his skin was removed, stuffed with straw and hung up as a dummy in a temple. It's close, but I'd still rather live in Barnsley.

He's their Flavius Belisarius.

Goes to show what can be done with very little cash though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Valérien Ismaël on 09:23 - Mar 4 with 2002 viewsdaveB

No way are they the best side in the league, they played well last night and we didn't, the way they play is very high risk. As good as they were we really should have gone a goal up getting in behind them twice and we looked like getting back into the game at 2-1 but the third goal killed us and they ran the clock down really well after that without ever looking in much danger.

The game could have gone either way at 2-1, was similar to the Brentford game where if they had got a 2nd goal they'd have won easily and we'd have been full of self loathing and blowing smoke up their arse asking why are we not more like them, we came back and won so that was all forgotten. As we lost this one it's a Barnsley love in and why are we not like them.
Valérien Ismaël on 09:24 - Mar 4 with 1998 viewsWokingR

Would you want to watch that every week though ?
It was a bit 'kick and rush' and seemed more like a street mugging at times
Valérien Ismaël on 09:37 - Mar 4 with 1955 viewsdutch

Valérien Ismaël on 09:24 - Mar 4 by WokingR

Would you want to watch that every week though ?
It was a bit 'kick and rush' and seemed more like a street mugging at times

It's clearly effective and good luck to them, but I would rather watch traffic on the westway, which might have some sort of flow, rather than a footballing equivalent of speed metal, with a little head ping pong, a smattering of time wasting and rush goalies. A game where the ball is hoofed up, most passes go to the opposition, running at 100mph is your main attribute and all play is condensed in a tiny strip of the pitch is just too ugly for me.
Valérien Ismaël on 09:38 - Mar 4 with 1952 viewsfrancisbowles

Very impressive in their spirit and commitment and very good in their 'style'* of play. They must have played more volleyed balls forward from their own half than I have ever seen a team play. Did the ball ever touch the floor in their half in the second 45 minutes?

Great substitutions. Change all the forwards and keep the press from the front going for the entire game. Then quick to nullify our change to drop Charlie deeper by bringing on a marker. Each substitute seemed taller than the one he replaced.

We didn't have an answer though. Kept plugging away but couldn't get that second goal that might have taken them out of their comfort zone.

* reminded me of playground football, everybody crowd around the ball and kick it upfield at every opportunity.
Login to get fewer ads

Valérien Ismaël on 09:38 - Mar 4 with 1946 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Agree with Dave. Every time we come up against a good side we seem to want to throw everything out of the window and become them.

I guess the first thing we should do is spend a few seasons in league 1 then?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Valérien Ismaël on 10:05 - Mar 4 with 1862 viewsted_hendrix

Well drilled/coached team seemed to me like every player knew what they had to do and carried it out accordingly.
They came they saw and they won comfortably, in Mowatt they have one of the players of the Championship, within 3 minutes of Austin equalizing they were back in the lead, no heads dropping just got on with it.
We were beaten by the better side, If we don't like losing to the better side or the way they set their stall out then we should adapt to conditions accordingly during the game.
We didn't get "hoofballed to death last night" we got beat by the better team.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Valérien Ismaël on 10:28 - Mar 4 with 1777 viewsNorthantsHoop

Valérien Ismaël on 10:05 - Mar 4 by ted_hendrix

Well drilled/coached team seemed to me like every player knew what they had to do and carried it out accordingly.
They came they saw and they won comfortably, in Mowatt they have one of the players of the Championship, within 3 minutes of Austin equalizing they were back in the lead, no heads dropping just got on with it.
We were beaten by the better side, If we don't like losing to the better side or the way they set their stall out then we should adapt to conditions accordingly during the game.
We didn't get "hoofballed to death last night" we got beat by the better team.

Exactly what I thought, don't really have any complaints, Barnsley looked very confident. Not expecting much at Bristol City, the next 3 home games starting with Wycombe are all winnable. We need to avoid the usual March rollercoaster of losing 5 or 6 on the trot and getting dragged back into relegation territory.
Valérien Ismaël on 10:34 - Mar 4 with 1751 viewsKonk

Valérien Ismaël on 08:57 - Mar 4 by MrSheen

Barnsley Bitter from the excellent Acorn Brewery is a beautiful drink. A cosy pub on a winters day, and a few pints of that - bliss. Worth a visit to Barnsley, just to drink it on home soil. We had a client in Barnsley - all lovely people, very easy to get on with, and a good laugh. The local phone code - 01226 - sounds magic in a Barnsley accent. And Geoff Horsfield's a Barnsley lad, too, so Barnsley's alright with me!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Valérien Ismaël on 10:54 - Mar 4 with 1694 viewsMyke

The 2 ways to beat a team set up like Barnsley were last night are
(1) Score first -force them to come out, then just knock balls over their high line and force their defence (nothing to write home about) to face their own goal, or have their lunatic goalie charging around trying to head everything clear - chaos either way
(2) Continue to play football. Stay patient, keep the ball., keep probing and looking for that opening
The last thing we should resort to, was to try and beat them at their own game. How was that possibly going to work? We just played into their hands
Valérien Ismaël on 10:58 - Mar 4 with 1688 viewsMrSheen

Valérien Ismaël on 10:34 - Mar 4 by Konk

Barnsley Bitter from the excellent Acorn Brewery is a beautiful drink. A cosy pub on a winters day, and a few pints of that - bliss. Worth a visit to Barnsley, just to drink it on home soil. We had a client in Barnsley - all lovely people, very easy to get on with, and a good laugh. The local phone code - 01226 - sounds magic in a Barnsley accent. And Geoff Horsfield's a Barnsley lad, too, so Barnsley's alright with me!

Barnsley Bitter, slips down like molten gold.
Valérien Ismaël on 11:05 - Mar 4 with 1672 viewssimmo

Yet if Warburton were replaced, Tim Sherwood would be favourite and the preferred candidate of a lot of the board. It's often the same with our player recruitment and is part of the wider problem that needs addressing if we're going to stop being a mostly crap team reliant on shit occasionally sticking.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Valérien Ismaël on 11:05 - Mar 4 with 1672 viewsKonk

Valérien Ismaël on 10:58 - Mar 4 by MrSheen

Barnsley Bitter, slips down like molten gold.

Honestly, I am always chuffed to bits if I see that on tap anywhere. A day like today - stick me in a warm cosy pub with a few pints of that, and I'd be the happiest man in the world.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Valérien Ismaël on 11:46 - Mar 4 with 1563 viewsdaveB

Valérien Ismaël on 11:05 - Mar 4 by simmo

Yet if Warburton were replaced, Tim Sherwood would be favourite and the preferred candidate of a lot of the board. It's often the same with our player recruitment and is part of the wider problem that needs addressing if we're going to stop being a mostly crap team reliant on shit occasionally sticking.

doesn't that get said every time we change managers and yet Sherwood never gets the job or ever seems to get that close to it
Valérien Ismaël on 11:55 - Mar 4 with 1526 viewsNorthernr

Valérien Ismaël on 11:46 - Mar 4 by daveB

doesn't that get said every time we change managers and yet Sherwood never gets the job or ever seems to get that close to it

He's been close several times. He turned us down at one point because he thought he was big time and was worried about budget etc, other times we've shied away from it even though Les wanted him because he's such a raving knobber they worried about the support base reaction.
Valérien Ismaël on 12:11 - Mar 4 with 1486 viewsTacticalR

There's a lot of prejudice against raving knobbers.

Air hostess clique

Valérien Ismaël on 12:19 - Mar 4 with 1450 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Valérien Ismaël on 11:05 - Mar 4 by Konk

Honestly, I am always chuffed to bits if I see that on tap anywhere. A day like today - stick me in a warm cosy pub with a few pints of that, and I'd be the happiest man in the world.

They had it on in the Wetherspoons in Hillsborough (the old swimming pool) last time I was there in 2019. They had the Barnsley Bitter and the Old Moor Porter on pre-match, was lovely. After the game we headed down to Kelham Island for a skinful. Great day out, we won too!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Valérien Ismaël on 12:21 - Mar 4 with 1441 viewsTheChef

Valérien Ismaël on 09:37 - Mar 4 by dutch

It's clearly effective and good luck to them, but I would rather watch traffic on the westway, which might have some sort of flow, rather than a footballing equivalent of speed metal, with a little head ping pong, a smattering of time wasting and rush goalies. A game where the ball is hoofed up, most passes go to the opposition, running at 100mph is your main attribute and all play is condensed in a tiny strip of the pitch is just too ugly for me.

Yeah I switched on for the start of the second half and ping pong did come to mind.

Kudos to them for an amazing run of results and getting up to sixth, who knows how far they will go?

But for me I prefer our style of football when it really works - last night I thought we could have opted for more pace/attacking football. Based on Warbs last post match comments I was expecting more dynamic changes to the starting XI, but that didn't happen.

Oh well on to the next game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Valérien Ismaël on 12:25 - Mar 4 with 1422 viewsAntti_Heinola

I've rarely seen a team that was so sure of its gameplan, and how to carry it out, than Barnsley last night. Their defenders reminded me a bit of Pulis's Boro team - every time it went near them, it was wellied, they simply did not take a single risk at the back.
But, unlike Pulis's team, they had a better plan and it was more effective. At times, you could see all 10 outfield players in a tiny part of the pitch. Crowd the ball, deny all space. A few times, particularly before they scored, we exploited this (Johansen's superb ball to Austin, for example), but generally it worked excellently.
Better teams than us would exploit that to a greater degree, but they don't have to be be the best team in the league, and playing at that intensity with that teamwork and that belief, they'll win more than they lose. Impressive, ugly, yet beautiful in its effectiveness.
It's ok to say we tried to play them at their own game, but when they deny space so well, you will play more long balls.
I thought they were very good and if they keep that up, they'll make the play-offs. Once they got ahead, it's very difficult to peg them back.
Had to laugh when Mowatt scored, reminded me of Dave Mc's tweet the other week when Clive and others were saying we could pick him up cheap - something like: 'don't get the fuss. It's only Mowatt.' Reminded me of Lovejoy's infamous 'it's only Ray Parlour' commentary in that Chelsea-Arsenal cup final.

Also quickly on Dykes: he started well, missed that chance and then seemed utterly bereft. Actually feel sorry for him at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 12:28]

Bare bones.

Valérien Ismaël on 12:32 - Mar 4 with 1400 viewsNorthernr

Valérien Ismaël on 12:25 - Mar 4 by Antti_Heinola

I've rarely seen a team that was so sure of its gameplan, and how to carry it out, than Barnsley last night. Their defenders reminded me a bit of Pulis's Boro team - every time it went near them, it was wellied, they simply did not take a single risk at the back.
But, unlike Pulis's team, they had a better plan and it was more effective. At times, you could see all 10 outfield players in a tiny part of the pitch. Crowd the ball, deny all space. A few times, particularly before they scored, we exploited this (Johansen's superb ball to Austin, for example), but generally it worked excellently.
Better teams than us would exploit that to a greater degree, but they don't have to be be the best team in the league, and playing at that intensity with that teamwork and that belief, they'll win more than they lose. Impressive, ugly, yet beautiful in its effectiveness.
It's ok to say we tried to play them at their own game, but when they deny space so well, you will play more long balls.
I thought they were very good and if they keep that up, they'll make the play-offs. Once they got ahead, it's very difficult to peg them back.
Had to laugh when Mowatt scored, reminded me of Dave Mc's tweet the other week when Clive and others were saying we could pick him up cheap - something like: 'don't get the fuss. It's only Mowatt.' Reminded me of Lovejoy's infamous 'it's only Ray Parlour' commentary in that Chelsea-Arsenal cup final.

Also quickly on Dykes: he started well, missed that chance and then seemed utterly bereft. Actually feel sorry for him at the moment.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 12:28]

Mowatt, two assists, a goal, best player on the pitch, as he always is against us, and whenever you watch Barnsley.
Valérien Ismaël on 12:50 - Mar 4 with 1332 viewssimmo

Yeah I had a bit of back and forth at the time with Dave Mc, contrary as ever and demanding that Mowatt was overrated and overpriced due to his contract, ignoring the fact the price for him in January was miles lower than his true value and he would transform our midfield. We may have still had a small chance to get him in Jan due to wages and player interest, but we have absolute zero chance of getting him in the summer.

Also RE Sherwood, he never ends up here, thank goodness, but the interest has been genuine and that kind of thinking is exactly why we don't ever progress beyond our current state. There's no long term plan and if there is, it's abandoned or ruined ad-hoc. Austin is a good example, he's been great for us and seems to have galvanised the dressing room, but having to go get him in January to try and save our season is a failure of team building and planning. Similarly having to switch to a new system and formation without the requisite players to manage it. Years of this DoF system and we're still forced to rely on parachuted loans, unfit players and people out of position.

Lots of it can be excused and I'm not blind to the limitations we're working under, but then you see a team like Barnsley and you start to wonder if those excuses will keep washing as more teams sail past us.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Valérien Ismaël on 12:52 - Mar 4 with 1323 viewsTacticalR

Valérien Ismaël on 12:32 - Mar 4 by Northernr

Mowatt, two assists, a goal, best player on the pitch, as he always is against us, and whenever you watch Barnsley.

When he scored my immediate thought was: 'When was the last time we had a player who could get a free kick over a wall?'

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024