Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England 01:47 - Mar 7 with 3901 viewsWatfordR

Anyone else watching?
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 02:11 - Mar 7 with 3185 viewsBoston

Nah, but I was 45 years ago.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 02:41 - Mar 7 with 3160 viewsToast_R

I listen to Jonesy's Duke box a lot online. Funny bloke and gets a lot of respect from the bigger artists.

NMTB is still one of the greatest albums.
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 09:50 - Mar 7 with 3044 viewsted_hendrix

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 02:41 - Mar 7 by Toast_R

I listen to Jonesy's Duke box a lot online. Funny bloke and gets a lot of respect from the bigger artists.

'Pretty Vacant' in my top ten of singles of all time.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 09:55 - Mar 7 with 3036 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 02:41 - Mar 7 by Toast_R

It is but is it the vest punk album of that era?

Contenders-
The Scream - Siouxsie
The Damned
The Clash
Another Music - Buzzcocks.

I prefer all of those
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:19 - Mar 7 with 3009 views100percent

Difficult to choose the best but in no particular order..

The Clash - first album.
Wire - Pink Flag
Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Slaughter and the Dogs - do it dogstyle
Ramones - Its Alive
The Saints (i'm ) Stranded
Generation X
Heartbreakers - LAMF
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:46 - Mar 7 with 2978 viewsdutch

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:19 - Mar 7 by 100percent

The Clash - first album.
Wire - Pink Flag
Ramones - Its Alive
Generation X
Heartbreakers - LAMF

Horses Patti Smith. Blank Generation Richard Hell. Marquee Moon Television. 77 Talking Heads.
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 17:56 - Mar 7 with 2879 viewsEsox_Lucius

There was a great tribute to Marianne Elliot (Poly Styrene) on Sky Arts last night hosted by her daughter. Tragic story.

The grass is always greener.

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 18:27 - Mar 7 with 2837 viewsBoston

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 17:56 - Mar 7 by Esox_Lucius

There was a great tribute to Marianne Elliot (Poly Styrene) on Sky Arts last night hosted by her daughter. Tragic story.

Associated with, bought a drink for Poly on a number of occasions, didn't really hit it off but liked XRS gigs and her vocals. Biggest thing that sticks in my mind was she lied to me about her age, thought she was younger, then again, that's supposed to be a trait in some ladies.

Edit...oh yeah, and she promised to get me and a mate in at the Marquee, then blew us off!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 18:30]

Login to get fewer ads

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 19:49 - Mar 7 with 2760 viewshamptonhillhoop

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:19 - Mar 7 by 100percent

The Clash - first album.
Wire - Pink Flag
Ramones - Its Alive
Generation X
Heartbreakers - LAMF

Very little known music fact: Morrissey was in Slaughter and The Dogs for a short time
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:05 - Mar 7 with 2745 viewsBoston

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 19:49 - Mar 7 by hamptonhillhoop

Very little known music fact: Morrissey was in Slaughter and The Dogs for a short time

Never saw Morrissey sing live (did he?) with them, but I liked Slaughter. Myself and one of my mates watched 'em a good few time. Recall being a little surprised at the wide range in numbers of the crowds they'd attract, big following one night, half empty two weeks later. On reflection, a lot of the punks were quite young and devoid of expendable income, certainly the audience was low at a mid week gig in London / the south.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:19]

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:15 - Mar 7 with 2736 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The Clash - first album.
Wire - Pink Flag
Ramones - Its Alive
Generation X
Heartbreakers - LAMF

Heartbreakers is a great shout.
Shocking production on it but great album
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:30 - Mar 7 with 2719 viewskensalriser

You're not wrong about the production on LAMF. Really mars the album.

I got The Scream recently, having never had it before, although I knew all the tracks, and was struck by how rudimentary and poorly produced it is. The ideas are good and they had a unique style, but its closest peer, Penetration's Moving Targets, pisses all over it: better songs, better playing, better singing and better production.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:38 - Mar 7 with 2707 viewskensalriser

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:05 - Mar 7 by Boston

Never saw Morrissey sing live (did he?) with them, but I liked Slaughter. Myself and one of my mates watched 'em a good few time. Recall being a little surprised at the wide range in numbers of the crowds they'd attract, big following one night, half empty two weeks later. On reflection, a lot of the punks were quite young and devoid of expendable income, certainly the audience was low at a mid week gig in London / the south.

I have a theory that Slaughter weren't bigger because of their name. That first album stands up well.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:43 - Mar 7 with 2697 viewsizlingtonhoop

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 18:27 - Mar 7 by Boston

Associated with, bought a drink for Poly on a number of occasions, didn't really hit it off but liked XRS gigs and her vocals. Biggest thing that sticks in my mind was she lied to me about her age, thought she was younger, then again, that's supposed to be a trait in some ladies.

Edit...oh yeah, and she promised to get me and a mate in at the Marquee, then blew us off!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 18:30]

Sounds a fair return...
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:45 - Mar 7 with 2690 viewsBoston

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:38 - Mar 7 by kensalriser

I have a theory that Slaughter weren't bigger because of their name. That first album stands up well.

I tend to agree.

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:01 - Mar 7 with 2664 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Clash - first album.
Wire - Pink Flag
Ramones - Its Alive
Generation X
Heartbreakers - LAMF

The Saints album is great.
I’d add The Slits ‘Cut’ and Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables of course....
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:09 - Mar 7 with 2649 viewsdistortR

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:01 - Mar 7 by Ned_Kennedys

The Saints album is great.
I’d add The Slits ‘Cut’ and Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables of course....

fresh fruit takes us into the eighties though. If we're going early 80's and American, i'll go damaged by Black Flag, who i f'king loved

edit - some great stuff mentioned, i'll chuck in the crack by the ruts
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 21:11]
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:16 - Mar 7 with 2634 viewsDannyPaddox

A couple of mates are working on the film shoot of Steve Jones‘ book Lonely Boy. Shepherds Bush is being played by Camberwell. I guess because Camberwell still looks a bit 70s.
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:17 - Mar 7 with 2633 viewshamptonhillhoop

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:05 - Mar 7 by Boston

Googled it. Apparently he recorded four songs with them when trying to get a record deal in London. Didn't happen and he left. Probably never sang live with them. He was also with the nosebleeds with Billy Duffy
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 23:18 - Mar 7 with 2561 views100percent

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 21:17 - Mar 7 by hamptonhillhoop

Googled it. Apparently he recorded four songs with them when trying to get a record deal in London. Didn't happen and he left. Probably never sang live with them. He was also with the nosebleeds with Billy Duffy

I'm going to block out the fact that morrisey was ever linked with Slaughter.... can't stand the bloke and never warmed to the smiths either.
saw Slaughter on a number of occasions - including the mass brawl on the door at the music machine gig...
Was at so many of those gigs back then - best period for shows in my history...
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 00:20 - Mar 8 with 2525 viewsBoston

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 23:18 - Mar 7 by 100percent

I'm going to block out the fact that morrisey was ever linked with Slaughter.... can't stand the bloke and never warmed to the smiths either.
saw Slaughter on a number of occasions - including the mass brawl on the door at the music machine gig...
Was at so many of those gigs back then - best period for shows in my history...

Better block out that they were ever linked with Man Utd while you're at it..some might disagree, but they've never seen it, the 'old enemy', biggest war in football back in the day.

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 09:39 - Mar 8 with 2445 viewsDannyPaddox

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 00:20 - Mar 8 by Boston

Better block out that they were ever linked with Man Utd while you're at it..some might disagree, but they've never seen it, the 'old enemy', biggest war in football back in the day.

Back in the days when even Bill Oddie got involved.
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 09:55 - Mar 8 with 2431 viewsheadhoops

Best 'Punk' Album Timeline
Feb 1969 - Kick out the Jams - MC5
Feb 1973 - Raw Power - Iggy & the Stooges
April 76 - Ramones - The Ramones
April 77 - The Clash - The Clash
Oct 77 - NMTB - Sex Pistols

some not yet mentioned and in my list
Oct 78 - Fulham Fallout - The Lurkers
79 - Inflammable material - Stiff Little Fingers
Sep 79 - Entertainment - The Gang of Four

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:19 - Mar 8 with 2412 viewscorse

Great albums from adverts, angelic upstarts, buzzcocks never as full album but great singles, skids, chelsea, x Ray specs etc. Didnt really like damned at any point. Nor did i like stranglers.
Four albums to stand out pistols nmtb, slf nobodys heroes, clash first, ramones leave home. Roger C reale made a great album called radio active. Not really punk but much influenced.
Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 10:51 - Mar 8 with 2383 viewsMrSheen

Sky Arts: Pistols - There'll always be an England on 20:30 - Mar 7 by kensalriser

You're not wrong about the production on LAMF. Really mars the album.

I got The Scream recently, having never had it before, although I knew all the tracks, and was struck by how rudimentary and poorly produced it is. The ideas are good and they had a unique style, but its closest peer, Penetration's Moving Targets, pisses all over it: better songs, better playing, better singing and better production.

I really liked Penetration and Pauline Murray's solo album, but The Scream has Jigsaw Feeling (!!!!!!) and Metal Postcard on it, better than anything Penetration managed.

Live at the Witch Trials and Dragnet not mentioned yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024