Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? 03:07 - Mar 12 with 6685 viewsMistication92

I was only a kid at the time so don't really remember it, just came across it on YouTube. BTW hilarious commentator.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 05:29 - Mar 12 with 4837 viewsHayesender

Lots, and if you read the interview with Paul Murray on here, that pretty much confirms it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 05:29 - Mar 12 with 4839 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Yes.
Many.
Allegedly... Palace Goalie living in a house with rent paid by QPR amongst others...

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 06:28 - Mar 12 with 4795 viewsNorthernr

Only time I’ve ever been at a game and genuinely thought something was up. That QPR side was absolutely terrible. Lost at port vale the week before and looked gone. Suddenly won 6-0. Palace owned by Goldberg at the time who’d over reached with it and was skint on the verge of collapse. Kulscar scoring from 30 yards I’d have saved it myself. Paul Murray seemed to set off confirming this in our interview with him then checked himself. Link on the front page, audio on the Patreon.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 06:30 - Mar 12 with 4792 viewsDannyPaddox

Of course it was dodgy. George Kulscar scored.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 07:20 - Mar 12 with 4702 viewsCamberleyR

Kiwomya's hat trick was, on a technical level, probably the worst ever.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 7:21]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 07:33 - Mar 12 with 4658 viewsRs_Holy

I think everyone there that day (apart from my son) knew Palace were not really trying... It was my sons first ever match... he was 7.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:03 - Mar 12 with 4565 viewsstevec

Stayed up on goal difference, was up there with Argentina 6 Peru 0 for dodgyness.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:04 - Mar 12 with 4573 viewsNorthernr

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:03 - Mar 12 by stevec

Stayed up on goal difference, was up there with Argentina 6 Peru 0 for dodgyness.

Yeh particularly as one of the others down there, Bury or Stockport?, won 5-0 at Oxford and still went down.

If this was Serie B there wouldn't even be a question mark over it. Everybody would just accept it was obviously fixed.
Login to get fewer ads

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:10 - Mar 12 with 4548 viewsted_hendrix

I remember a Chinaman getting sent off for them early in the game, I didn't think it was a dodgy game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:13 - Mar 12 with 4531 viewsHunterhoop

It’s only on watching that back I realise how Partridge that commentary is. The last goal is the best. “Ohhhhhh what a goal!” As he climaxes watching Kiwomya take 3 attempts to bundle it in from 6 yards with the keeper on the floor.

The keeper so obviously is only making token gestures throughout. He is either directly at fault or partly to blame for every goal! I completely forgot the Kiwomya goal from Ludo’s huge goal kick, which the keeper just sits on his line for, like a kid in an under 9s match, until Kiwomya reaches it and pokes it past him from 10 yards. Obviously, being Kiwomya he nearly missed anyway. He was one of the most inefficient finishers I’ve ever seen play. And he somehow even manages to convey that strongly when scoring a hat trick too.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:21 - Mar 12 with 4517 viewsCamberleyR

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:04 - Mar 12 by Northernr

Yeh particularly as one of the others down there, Bury or Stockport?, won 5-0 at Oxford and still went down.

If this was Serie B there wouldn't even be a question mark over it. Everybody would just accept it was obviously fixed.

Yeah, both Bury and Oxford went down after winning their last match, Bury beat Port Vale 1-0 at home and Oxford thrashed Stockport 5-0 at home but would still have been relegated regardless.

Looking at the league table, was this the season where goal difference wasn't the first separator for level points, was it goals scored? I seem to remember they experimented for a season or so with something like this. Bury went down but had a superior goal difference to Port Vale who just survived but PV had scored more and also won more games.

https://www.soccerbase.com/matches/results.sd?date=1999-05-09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%9399_in_English_football#Division_One_2

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:34 - Mar 12 with 4470 viewsTheChef

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 06:28 - Mar 12 by Northernr

Only time I’ve ever been at a game and genuinely thought something was up. That QPR side was absolutely terrible. Lost at port vale the week before and looked gone. Suddenly won 6-0. Palace owned by Goldberg at the time who’d over reached with it and was skint on the verge of collapse. Kulscar scoring from 30 yards I’d have saved it myself. Paul Murray seemed to set off confirming this in our interview with him then checked himself. Link on the front page, audio on the Patreon.

Yeah I remember coming out of Vale Park and the general feeling was 'that's us done'. Didn't get much, er, sympathy from the Vale fans either...

But then we had one result go our way, think West Brom got a late goal at Bury? So we could still save ourselves by beating Palace.

My other abiding memory of that day is one of our nutter fans deciding to run from one corner of the away end, across the pitch, and literally throw himself into the home fans in the side stand.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:48 - Mar 12 with 4422 viewsDannyPaddox

The balloons! There’s no way the balloons don’t play a part in this.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:07 - Mar 12 with 4365 viewsSuperhoop83

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 07:20 - Mar 12 by CamberleyR

Kiwomya's hat trick was, on a technical level, probably the worst ever.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 7:21]

Kiwomya had the most deadly shins in football.

Suffering since 1978.

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:12 - Mar 12 with 4339 viewsAntti_Heinola

I have heard it from a very decent Palace source that it was agreed. Not 6-0. Was supposed to just be a couple. Suited both clubs that QPR stay up.

Bare bones.

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:13 - Mar 12 with 4340 viewsSuperhoop83

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:34 - Mar 12 by TheChef

Yeah I remember coming out of Vale Park and the general feeling was 'that's us done'. Didn't get much, er, sympathy from the Vale fans either...

But then we had one result go our way, think West Brom got a late goal at Bury? So we could still save ourselves by beating Palace.

My other abiding memory of that day is one of our nutter fans deciding to run from one corner of the away end, across the pitch, and literally throw himself into the home fans in the side stand.

One of my rare trips up north and that nutter was the second best part of the day. What was he thinking?

The best part was the pub we went to before the match - fantastic atmosphere soon ruined by an abject team performance. At least Simon Barker gave us all a clap at the end.

Suffering since 1978.

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:37 - Mar 12 with 4256 viewsLythamR

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:13 - Mar 12 by Superhoop83

One of my rare trips up north and that nutter was the second best part of the day. What was he thinking?

The best part was the pub we went to before the match - fantastic atmosphere soon ruined by an abject team performance. At least Simon Barker gave us all a clap at the end.

The pub was probably "The Vine". Always good pre match but that day was a bit special
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:40 - Mar 12 with 4252 viewsDannyPaddox

Ingenious ...

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:41 - Mar 12 with 4251 viewsKonk

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:13 - Mar 12 by Superhoop83

I went to Besiktas v EskiÅŸehirspor in 2010 - Besiktas were near the top, EskiÅŸehirspor were struggling at the bottom. Besiktas were 0-2 down at half-time, having conceded an insanely soft goal after 2 minutes, and then a ridiculous penalty about 20 minutes later. Both sides then just pi ssed about until half-time. Second-half, Besiktas scored 3, looked like a completely different side and won 3-2.

We all came away convinced the match was dodgy, and 3 years later, Besiktas were banned from European competitions due to match-fixing in domestic games.

I've chatted with a few people in various Balkan and Eastern European countries about why gates are so low, and the first thing they've said to me is that people have no confidence that they'll be watching an honest game, so they stay at home and watch football from other countries. I'm generally in favour of people serving a sentence/suspension and being given a second chance in life, but with match-fixing, I think I'd always want to see life bans, because once people lose faith in the integrity of the game, it's fu cked.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 11:25 - Mar 12 with 4131 viewsBostonR

Forgot about this one but in hindsight a huge "stitch-up" by both clubs. Palace were awful - just trotting about for 90mins and I recall that at 6-0 there seemed to be a general agreement that the job was done!
Having said that the crew I was with got absolutely smashed up in Hammersmith on Stella and various other cocktails - great evening.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 11:33 - Mar 12 with 4105 viewsdaveB

I was so nervous before that game, I threw up twice that morning worrying about the consequences. At the time we were only 3 years out of the Premier League, I had grown up with the team pushing for top 6 in the Premier League, getting to cup finals and now this, it was terrifying.

My misses agreed to drive me from Middlesbrough to QPR that morning as there were no trains that weekend I just remember all the way down feeling sick with nerves. She had never seen us win so refused to go to the game, just drove me 5 hours down the motorway, dropped me off and she met up with some mates then drove me back the next day. My Dad had got me a ticket and my seat in the lower loft was pretty much where my season ticket is now. I didn't feel we were safe until the 4th went in, looking back I didn't need to worry but it was such a relief.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 11:38 - Mar 12 with 4080 viewsstevec

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 08:34 - Mar 12 by TheChef

Didn’t West Brom do the same to Bolton in 2012.

I’m starting to think they should be our 2nd favourite team.
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:08 - Mar 12 with 4006 viewsMrSheen

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 09:41 - Mar 12 by Konk

I went to Besiktas v EskiÅŸehirspor in 2010 - Besiktas were near the top, EskiÅŸehirspor were struggling at the bottom. Besiktas were 0-2 down at half-time, having conceded an insanely soft goal after 2 minutes, and then a ridiculous penalty about 20 minutes later. Both sides then just pi ssed about until half-time. Second-half, Besiktas scored 3, looked like a completely different side and won 3-2.

We all came away convinced the match was dodgy, and 3 years later, Besiktas were banned from European competitions due to match-fixing in domestic games.

I've chatted with a few people in various Balkan and Eastern European countries about why gates are so low, and the first thing they've said to me is that people have no confidence that they'll be watching an honest game, so they stay at home and watch football from other countries. I'm generally in favour of people serving a sentence/suspension and being given a second chance in life, but with match-fixing, I think I'd always want to see life bans, because once people lose faith in the integrity of the game, it's fu cked.

Steady, by decrying rampant match-fixing of meaningless games in Eastern Europe, you run the risk of tarnishing Fulham's Intertoto Cup triumph.

This article was the only one I could find that mentions a punter going into Stan James in Chinatown to put £1,000 at 28/1 on the half-time full-time combination of a UEFA Cup game between a Greek and an Armenian team. Apparently there were a lot of clairvoyants successfully picking a 5-2 final score at 66/1 too.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/sep/29/uefa-match-fixing-champions-l
Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:16 - Mar 12 with 3984 viewsKonk

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:08 - Mar 12 by MrSheen

Steady, by decrying rampant match-fixing of meaningless games in Eastern Europe, you run the risk of tarnishing Fulham's Intertoto Cup triumph.

This article was the only one I could find that mentions a punter going into Stan James in Chinatown to put £1,000 at 28/1 on the half-time full-time combination of a UEFA Cup game between a Greek and an Armenian team. Apparently there were a lot of clairvoyants successfully picking a 5-2 final score at 66/1 too.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/sep/29/uefa-match-fixing-champions-l

Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts and lump thousands of $ on improbable outcomes/events in random sporting events taking place in front of 48 people in a country thousands of miles away. We've all done it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:19 - Mar 12 with 3976 viewsMrSheen

Were there any rumours about this game being dodgy? on 12:16 - Mar 12 by Konk

Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts and lump thousands of $ on improbable outcomes/events in random sporting events taking place in front of 48 people in a country thousands of miles away. We've all done it.

And at least it's more fun to watch than tennis.

[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 12:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024